Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By hawk14dl
  • 1 Post By Honkey_Kong

Thread: Anti-depressants

yeahbuddy289 is offline Knowledgeable Member

Anti-depressants

I have had symptoms of low test/depression for a long time now. Blood work last year confirmed my test was low. I have been using clomid @50mg a day as prescribed by my endo for the past 8 months and have doubled my free test but my total is slightly below mid range. I have seen no benefits or relief of my symptoms. I have also done sleep studies thinking the problem could be sleep apnea. According to the results I have very mild sleep apnea. It was so mild they werent even sure if a CPAP machine would help. But we tried it anyways... Its been about 4 weeks and I have only been able to sleep with it on a hand full of times. I really dont want to believe im suffering from depression but it seems there are no other options to explore. I dont really like the stigma associated with anti-depression meds and the people who use them. I think just the fact I know I am taking a pill to make me happy would be depressing in itself. I would also be worried about how it would affect me as a person, and affect my performance in the gym as it is one of the only thing I get some joy from.

GirlyGymRat is offline Knowledgeable Elite ~ Respected Female Leader ~
    I do not suffer from depression but I was on medication with known side effect of depression. Read my interview in the lounge sticky Marcus interview. I discuss a little there.

I was prescribed a very mild anti depressant. I took one and the next day felt the dark clouds lifted. I did not take anti depressants very long (as long as medication causing) because I was concerned that I would depend on this happy pill.

I suggest counseling first. Not some whack that only gets paid only if you are on his drugs and the revolving door of frequent visits. Maybe a life coach is a first step for you. Someone to discuss life.

Life is a roller coaster. Figuring out how to enjoy the ride is part of the experience.

APIs is offline Knowledgeable Member
    If your test is low, find out why & continue along the TRT route. Some people def complain of depression among the symptoms that accompany low t. However, by all means, never look down upon anti-depressants if you're diagnosed as needing them. That decision should be made by you & your medical professional. Remember, most things we go through in life are only temporary anyways. Good luck...

Well I don't really have anything to be depressed about so I'm not sure counseling will help... I am going to continue the hrt but it hasn't help me in any way shape or form. Maybe actual test is the way to go but I would like to hopefully have kids someday and would hate to take a risk. Plus, even when I was running a test cycle I never felt any better so not sure trt would even help.

lovbyts is online now Knowledgeable Member
    Are you using hcg with your HRT? A lot of people say it helps with the mood also. Make sure your e2 is also in check. That's a BIG factor on how you feel/mood.

Don't give up on trt without trying test also.

No just Clomid... I thought you only needed hcg if you were using testosterone ? I believe estrogen will be checked in mupcoming blood work.

Had Kelkel seen your bw results. Him and the other fellas can analyze your results and make recommendations that doctors may overlook.

Yeah I have been working with kel... He said my free test is still on the low side and that is why I'm not seeing any results. But I believe the only way I can raise my free test is to start using testosterone . My endo prescribed me some to try if I want I just haven't because I'm worried about being able to have kids. And I'm not sure if it will help...I have ran test cycles and never felt better on it.

Ok. What did the hrt recommend?

Idk. Many men run successful hrt and have children. I see the low T commercials and seems a downer effecting every aspect of your daily life. The decision is yours. Your body. Doing nothing is an option but that also comes with consequences.

Yeah im just not sure what to do... hard to say if its actually "depression" or not... Maybe I will start taking the testosterone and try to get some HCG to run with it to be on the safe side.

hawk14dl is offline Senior Member
    Run hcg with your trt, you shouldn't have to worry about fertility.
    yeahbuddy289 likes this.

I hope this works... This is pretty much my last option before trying anti depressants.

lovbyts is online now Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hawk14dl View Post
    Run hcg with your trt, you shouldn't have to worry about fertility.
    ^^^^ what he said and that's what I was getting at also. When you want to conceive a fertility doctor may have you go on mono hcg therapy for a while but if you don't use it now with HRT it may not work and if you do start using it now you may not have any trouble getting someone pregnant anyways.

It does help with more than just fertility also. I also agree, you need to get your free t up.

Honkey_Kong is online now Superbowl XLIX Champs!
    Quote Originally Posted by lovbyts View Post
    ^^^^ what he said and that's what I was getting at also. When you want to conceive a fertility doctor may have you go on mono hcg therapy for a while but if you don't use it now with HRT it may not work and if you do start using it now you may not have any trouble getting someone pregnant anyways.

It does help with more than just fertility also. I also agree, you need to get your free t up.
    HMG is probably the way to go. HCG is just the LH analogue, where you're going to need the FSH hormone as well.

But that being said, there are guys on this very site who sired children while in the middle of very long cycles. So I wouldn't say it's impossible to knock your girl up while taking testosterone .

Metalject is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Just food for thought, a lot (maybe most) anti-depressants will lower natural testosterone production. It's one of the reasons some doctors keep prescribing more and more of them.

Guy has lowt, has depression, doctor prescribes anti-depressants to help him feel better and maybe it works for a bit but in time test levels fall lower.
    Doctor then prescribes more or stronger anti-depressants, and so this circle goes on and on indefinitely.

I'm not saying this is the case every time, but it does seem somewhat common.

PistolPete33 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I recently started taking a low dosage of Zoloft because of severe depression and anxiety. I also started talking to a shrink. At first I met with the shrink once per week and then twice per month and now only once per month. It has totally helped and so far for me I haven't had any issues at all on Zoloft. I don't plan on staying on it for all too long but for now I need it to function properly and get everything in my life sorted out.

Brett N is offline Senior Member
    The said thing is that this cloud that hangs around the clinically diagnosed depression is really annoying to me.

Maybe it is lowT and the fact your E2 is off and your freet is low. Maybe you just suffer from mild depression. It's nothing to be upset or feel anxiety over yeahbuddy.

I say give the TRT a good looking into. Get your numbers where they are at the top middle of the range and not the bottom middle. Let that continue for a good period and see how you feel. If you are depressed still, seek help for it. There's nothing wrong with taking medication if you need it. Nothing at all. Look what happens to some if they don't treat it, that is not a solution at all.

Someone who suffers from depression doesn't need something to feel depressed about. It's not about a dying loved one or a sick kid. People who suffer from depression just feel down and that it doesn't feel like there is anything that will bring them back up again. It's not something they can focus on to improve, it just is.

Sorry for long rant. Summed up - focus on TRT and if that doesn't help your mindset, find something that will.

Thank you guys for being so helpful... not trying to have a pity party or anything like that just trying to get this straightened out! Can someone aware me on HMG??? I have only heard of HCG .

hawk14dl is offline Senior Member
    Hmg is a drug they use in fertility cases. If i recall, it increases sperm volume.

Honkey_Kong is online now Superbowl XLIX Champs!
    Quote Originally Posted by yeahbuddy289 View Post
    Thank you guys for being so helpful... not trying to have a pity party or anything like that just trying to get this straightened out! Can someone aware me on HMG??? I have only heard of HCG.
    Gonadotropin Treatment for Infertility

But seriously though, if you're suffering from depression, siring children probably should be far back on your to-do list. Getting over your depression is what you should be doing.
    Brett N likes this.

Thread Information