Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Brett N

Thread: The science behind how adipose (fat) and muscular tissues grow.

jay94 is offline Associate Member

The science behind how adipose (fat) and muscular tissues grow.

In order to understand how tissues, including both adipose (fat) and muscular tissues, grow, one must understand how the mTORC1 pathway, the central hub of metabolism, functions. The mechanistic target of rapamycin complex 1 (mTORC1) is a multi-protein structure that controls the proliferation and activation of virtually all molecules in the body, via processes such as lysosomal biogenesis, ribosomal biogenesis, autophagy (catabolism or cell death), etc. Simply put, the more the mTORC1 pathway is stimulated, and the more there is tissue growth.

There are five factors that activate the mTORC1 pathway:

-availability of cellular energy (ATP);

-availability of growth factors such as insulin and insulin-like growth factor 1 (igf-1)

-availability of essential branched chain amino acids (BCAAs), especially leucine (found mostly in dairy and high protein food products)

-availability of another amino acid, glutamine, which works synergistically with leucine by acting as a 'gatekeeper' that ensures mTORC1 pathway leucine uptake (also found in dairy)

-availability of satured fatty acids, especially palmitic acid (found mainly in certain oils and cake pastries).

If one wants to limit or maximize mTORC1 stimulation, for example to lose weight or gain muscle mass, then these factors must be controlled. This is mainly done through careful dieting, by controlling caloric intake, but also by controlling food choices as well. The saying 'calories in, calories out' is not entirely true, since different nutrients have a distinct impact on the human metabolism.

For example, milk is probably the most mTORC1 stimulating food that exists, since it is highly insulinogenic (since it's digested quickly), meaning that it causes the pancreas to secrete a lot of insulin and is therefore transported to the metabolic pathway at a relatively fast rate, and it is also rich in leucine and glutamine. Furthermore, it has been shown that, in pregnant women, regular milk consumption causes the transfer of biologically active exosomal messenger RNAs, which increases the mTORC1 pathway's overall effectiveness in offspring. Milk should probably not be consumed by mostly sedentary people, and should only be used by athletes and breastfed babies.

Inversely, meat/animal protein is less insulinogenic than dairy protein, and contains less leucine and glutamine. Meat/animal protein should therefore be favored if one's goal is to lose weight, and vice versa.

Source: not a source, but I study Biochemistry and Pharmacology in Canada.

Too many big words for me to understand.

Brett N is offline Senior Member
    Summed up - animal protein good Whey protein bad? For being lean that is?
    spywizard likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett N View Post
    Summed up - animal protein good Whey protein bad? For being lean that is?
    It's a question of optimal nutrition. Of course you can most likely eat dairy and still lose weight and vice versa, but if you're looking to control all factors in order to get optimal results, then yes. I would argue that, in those with metabolic syndrome, a simple reduction in daily caloric intake will make a world of difference... but in highly trained athletes with already near-optimal body composition, then such things definitely matter.
    Last edited by jay94; 07-01-2015 at 05:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesThe4th View Post
    What part do you not understand? Maybe I can explain differently.

spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlesThe4th View Post
    eat meat, not protein shakes.. it's better for you
    The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

GirlyGymRat is online now Knowledgeable Elite ~ Respected Female Leader ~
    I didn't realize whey protein spiked insulin . That's not good for ppl with diabetes or insulin sensitive.

Good post.

Thread Information