Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Tips for buying an engagement ring

yeahbuddy289 is offline Knowledgeable Member

Tips for buying an engagement ring

Looking for some advice for buying an engagement ring other than "dont do it!" lol. I know what type of ring she wants but other than that I dont know sh*t. How do I know what jewelers are good? And how do I know im getting a good diamond or quality ring? I was thinking about asking her mother to go with me to look... I think she would appreciate me involving her in the process plus it might be nice having her help.

Trapology is offline Associate Member
    Damn...I had my "dont do it" all ready to go

Does your girl come from money? If not any diamond will be fine, its hard for someone who doesnt know to tell the difference in quality. Obviously a real diamond doesnt shine in the light so youre not gonna get by with a fake one if she knows about that

You can also go with the mom option, she probably would appreciate it, you can figure they probably had some girl convo about rings so she might guide you in the right direction

Hoggage_54 is offline Suspended or Banned either way gone!
    Buy a cheap cubic zirconia ring and tell her it's real diamond and cost you $20k. She wont know the difference.

Also, post pics of her mother.
    lovbyts likes this.

lmao. She doesnt come from a rich family but she's got expensive taste. I know what she wants for a ring.... I just dont know how you go about finding a good jeweler or anything like that.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahbuddy289 View Post
    lmao. She doesnt come from a rich family but she's got expensive taste. I know what she wants for a ring.... I just dont know how you go about finding a good jeweler or anything like that.
    Find a local mom and pop shop thats a good rout

Or if you know what she wants do some research on the price of the diamond the mount and the setting then go into a normal place like this and say I need you to do this for this amount and they will negotiate with you

almostgone is online now AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    Take.your time and shop around. As mentioned above, sometimes it is better to pick out the stone @ a local jeweler w/ a good reputation and then have it put into a setting. Read up on the grading of diamonds, etc. before you start looking so you will know which questions to ask.
    Last edited by almostgone; 01-04-2016 at 09:28 PM.
    OdinsOtherSon likes this.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

73rr is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Brilliantearth.com well tell u everything u need to now about the grades and everything. After that shop around for best price! Congratulations it's a pain in the a**!

Side note that company also has really nice diamonds but if your looking for a steal. Your not finding it there

ppwc1985 is offline Productive Member
    Take your time, don't buy into the bullshit about spending 2-3 times your monthly income because the ppl who sell the jewelry came up with that crap. Get at least 3/4 to a caret. Or more if you have the money. I gave my Haw a ring of my mothers and it wasn't even a diamond but had a lot of sentimental value to my family and she loved it. But than she is a diamond. Just take your time. And yes taking her mom would be a great idea if you all have that kind of relationship. Good luck, being married is a blessing provided you pick the right one.

Hazard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    If you buy the engagement ring you'll hafta buy a wedding ring. Then the only ring you receive is suffering
    Failure is not and option..... ONLY beyond failure is - Haz

Think beyond yourselves and remember this forum is for educated members to help advise SAFE usage of AAS, not just tell you what you want to hear
    - Knockout_Power

NOT DOING SOURCE CHECKS......

TheTaxMan is offline 100% BRITISH BEEF
    The bigger the diamond and most expensive the better (in a womans opinion)

My opinion they should be thankful for whatever they get
    73rr and lovbyts like this.

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Thats called a BIG red flag, mark my words.

Ok with the ring. She will probably get it checked so what you do is guy a Nice Big diamond ring and a matching cubic zirconiaand AFTER she has had it checked you switch them and take it back.
    jimmyinkedup likes this.

TheTaxMan is offline 100% BRITISH BEEF
    Quote Originally Posted by lovbyts View Post
    Thats called a BIG red flag, mark my words.

Ok with the ring. She will probably get it checked so what you do is guy a Nice Big diamond ring and a matching cubic zirconiaand AFTER she has had it checked you switch them and take it back.
    And keep the cash for your next wife

Quote Originally Posted by TheTaxMan View Post
    And keep the cash for your next wife
    Hopefully AFTER the 1st one (divorced) he will have learned his lesson, not like some of us.
    Ive always said it's cheaper to be a widower than to get a divorce.

Ernst is offline Borderline Personality
    Learn all you can online before shopping. It'll help keep you from being taken advantage of.

To get an idea of loose diamond pricing check out BlueNile Diamonds - Quality Loose Diamonds Online | Blue Nile

The diamond/jeweler industry as a whole would have you believe you need this flawless stone. Unless you have a super magnifier and a depth of experience most of us would not be able to tell much of a difference between few grades one way or the other.

Take it from someone who is having the platinum engagement ring custom made as we speak. I expect it'll appraise ~$14k, and I am not a rich man.

Biggest piece of advice: If buying a stone, accept no substitute for GIA certification.

If you have any specific questions you can PM me, I might be able to help answer some things. I did a LOT of research into this.
    yeahbuddy289 likes this.

bsh
    bsh is offline Associate Member
    Just go to Tiffany & Co.

Quote Originally Posted by bsh View Post
    Just go to Tiffany & Co.
    Hahahaha then you pay 3x the price just for the pretty blue box.
    73rr likes this.

thomas8883 is offline Junior Member
    Don't do it, it a TRAP!!!

bloodchoke is offline Member
    Buy a Tiffany's box off of ebay and buy a ring at the pawn shop. Be sure to check the inside of the ring for inscriptions.

"Who's Barbara?"

Quote Originally Posted by bloodchoke View Post
    Buy a Tiffany's box off of ebay and buy a ring at the pawn shop. Be sure to check the inside of the ring for inscriptions.

"Who's Barbara?"
    ^^^^ Hahaha

Hoggage_54 is offline Suspended or Banned either way gone!
    You are the master, I will remember this tip.
    lovbyts likes this.

Thanks for all the tips guys... im probably making this harder than it has to be... but probably because I care about this girl and I only plan on doing this once lol. So I want it to be right.

gearbox is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I agree this is a huge red flag. I happen to love being married and believe in marriage and everything else. However, I do see different perks to staying single.
    Back to the expensive taste. There is actually no such thing. It's buy what you can afford within reason and treat it with care. Does it matter if you have a Lexus or a kia. Should I treat the kia like trash cause its less expensive? If she has expensive taste she should- go get a job and buy herself all kinds of expensive things. Story- buddy of mine got married recently and his wife is the same way. I am a Mercedes girl is what she said. She was driving her mother's 13 year old Mercedes that was passed down to her. She crashed it about 6 months into marriage and was excited to get 7k back from insurance for the total of the car. She told my buddy let's go shopping. She is a Mercedes girl so that's what she wants. She then realizes how expensive a new one is and decides its best to use all her/his savings on her new car down payment. Meanwhile my buddy Mr. Nice guy says I guess we will start saving for a house once again. Moral of the story. You make 50k and she makes 30k. You do not own a 45k car!

Oh hey I'm a Lamborghini aventador kinda guy- so I guess I should get a 2nd mortgage and attempt to buy one
    P.s. I have expensive taste so its okay :/

somewhatjacked is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodchoke View Post

"Who's Barbara?"
    Lmaoooo I did something similar but the other way.

somewhatjacked is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gearbox View Post
    Oh hey I'm a Lamborghini aventador kinda guy- so I guess I should get a 2nd mortgage and attempt to buy one
    P.s. I have expensive taste so its okay :/
    Depends on priorities and how much happiness it gives to the person.

No right or wrong imo

73rr is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Thanks for all the tips guys... im probably making this harder than it has to be... but probably because I care about this girl and I only plan on doing this once lol. So I want it to be right.
    Don't worry buddy! Have fun with it. Don't stress about the ring. If it's shinny and u think it's nice. Most likely she will to!

Or she could always return it for a different one. That would be pritty cold. I have seen it before though

She makes more than I do... and when she becomes an NP she'll be killing me income wise so she's not using me for money at all lol. She just likes/wants certain things but other than that she's very smart about not living above our/her means.

Yeah I am probably over thinking it... but like I said Im really hoping this will be the one and only time I do this so I want it to be perfect. I dont think she would ever return any ring I got her... even if it wasnt even close to what she wanted... that would be terrible lol and I would probably walk away from it right then and there.

Oh last thing man
    you might wanna consider getting a fake mount for the diamond, if she doesnt come from money theres no way she can tell that, more money for the diamond

Quote Originally Posted by Trapology View Post
    Oh last thing man
    you might wanna consider getting a fake mount for the diamond, if she doesnt come from money theres no way she can tell that, more money for the diamond
    Except if her finger turns green from it not being gold. Just get LOW grade, 10K gold or silver and claim it's platinum.

Except if her finger turns green from it not being gold. Just get LOW grade, 10K gold or silver and claim it's platinum.
    I didnt mean that fake lol
    Just dont crash out getting something A1

She makes more than I do... and when she becomes an NP she'll be killing me income wise so she's not using me for money at all lol. She just likes/wants certain things but other than that she's very smart about not living above our/her means.

Yeah I am probably over thinking it... but like I said Im really hoping this will be the one and only time I do this so I want it to be perfect. I dont think she would ever return any ring I got her... even if it wasnt even close to what she wanted... that would be terrible lol and I would probably walk away from it right then and there.
    she makes good money then its all good. I would get something you can totally afford. After all, you can always upgrade after a few years as a surprise and she will love that even more I bet.

Good to hear. You know the old rule how to tell if a girl likes you and comes? When you open a car door for her and when she gets in she reaches over and unlocks you door or something similar. Same goes for a wedding ring. No reason you should settle for a gold band even if you are ok with it.

thisAngelBites is offline Knowledgeable Female Member
    You can get all caught up in the stats, but in the end, I think a pretty ring is more likely to be a hit than a tiny, perfectly white and internally flawless stone. But check with her - if she thinks it must be "perfect" and will otherwise always be unhappy if it isn't, then you have to go with that.

When we looked at diamonds (and I did study some mineralogy during one of my stints in uni, so I am reasonably knowledgeable) I was struck by how whiteness mattered in how pretty the stone looked, and the clarity mattered less until you got pretty large inclusions in the stone.

You will pay at least twice what you could sell the ring for. I'd look for someone recommended amongst friends or acquaintances - someone with a good reputation and not a lot of overhead can always do a better price than someone who is paying sales people to stand around looking professional, and rent and stuff. There are people who deal in stones who have been around a long time and just come to you and show you their stuff and they have far lower margins than shops, so you will get more for your money, but you have to find someone reputable. Mall shops tend to buy junkier stuff and you pay more.

Think about if you have a friend whose family is quite financially comfortable and whose mother has a nice ring - those older people are often the people who know where to go to get good stuff at good prices.

GirlyGymRat is offline Knowledgeable Elite ~ Respected Female Leader ~
    Quote Originally Posted by lovbyts
    Thats called a BIG red flag, mark my words. Ok with the ring. She will probably get it checked so what you do is guy a Nice Big diamond ring and a matching cubic zirconiaand AFTER she has had it checked you switch them and take it back.
    Stopppppppp. I don't come from $ but I like nice things! Not all have to be $$$$$. Some nice things are free. :P

Quote Originally Posted by bsh
    Just go to Tiffany & Co.
    Nooooooo. Over priced for the stamp of tiff. Noooooo

Quote Originally Posted by GirlyGymRat View Post

Stopppppppp. I don't come from $ but I like nice things! Not all have to be $$$$$. Some nice things are free. :P
    Yeah but there aren't many like you anymore. Most don't want to work for it or still appreciate it when it's a good deal or free. Most care more about it being nice, big and expensive.

Moonjumper is offline Junior Member

We always over think this process. Best advice I can offer is to avoid chain stores. Price is way overinflated at them usually. I bought my last one at a local shop. For the quality of what it is, I saved about a grand or more by getting it from them. Half carat princess cut mounted on white gold for 1k out the door. Solid quality stone and setting.
    Last edited by Moonjumper; 01-09-2016 at 06:52 PM.

Most smaller quality stores also have a display area for consignment rings. That is always an idea. What I have also done in the past is have a ring made and either buy a loose stone through a shop or??? I use to know someone. There are some very cool designs online also where you can buy the ring with no stone and then have one put in.

Quote Originally Posted by lovbyts
    Most smaller quality stores also have a display area for consignment rings. That is always an idea. What I have also done in the past is have a ring made and either buy a loose stone through a shop or??? I use to know someone. There are some very cool designs online also where you can buy the ring with no stone and then have one put in.
    I've shopped consignment b4 but not for diamonds. There was a ma and pa jewelry store that had "estate sale pieces" and I found beautiful Pearl earrings. You have to be decisive. I walked out without a special one of a kind piece. Went back the next day and it was gone. Forever.

Not sure if anyone else mentioned diamond wholesalers. Or diamond brokers. I would avoid the big chain jewelry stores at the mall. There markups are incredible! Crazy and don't fall for the trade up policy. They are just ripping you off a second time. Lol
    lovbyts likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by thisAngelBites
    You can get all caught up in the stats, but in the end, I think a pretty ring is more likely to be a hit than a tiny, perfectly white and internally flawless stone. But check with her - if she thinks it must be "perfect" and will otherwise always be unhappy if it isn't, then you have to go with that. When we looked at diamonds (and I did study some mineralogy during one of my stints in uni, so I am reasonably knowledgeable) I was struck by how whiteness mattered in how pretty the stone looked, and the clarity mattered less until you got pretty large inclusions in the stone. You will pay at least twice what you could sell the ring for. I'd look for someone recommended amongst friends or acquaintances - someone with a good reputation and not a lot of overhead can always do a better price than someone who is paying sales people to stand around looking professional, and rent and stuff. There are people who deal in stones who have been around a long time and just come to you and show you their stuff and they have far lower margins than shops, so you will get more for your money, but you have to find someone reputable. Mall shops tend to buy junkier stuff and you pay more. Think about if you have a friend whose family is quite financially comfortable and whose mother has a nice ring - those older people are often the people who know where to go to get good stuff at good prices.
    ^^^ what she says. Esp about color and clarity. I have a gf who spent big $$$$$ on white stone after the insurance claim on the stolen ring. It's a gorgeous diamond. No one says hey can I see your diamond closeup. Let me inspect it. Lol. Every diamond has imperfections including the hope diamond.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information