Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Tigershark
  • 1 Post By Times Roman
  • 1 Post By Armykid93

Thread: New Army policy on AAS

Armykid93 is offline Productive Member
    One of my buddies recently became a UPL for his unit and AAS is now in the random testing pool. Does not need commander approval.

If the army actually follows through and does the random testing is another story, but at the very least it's in policy now.

Just figured I would let you guys know, for the military folks here.

Tigershark is offline "Who wants to be Clark Kent, when you can be Superman."
    If you can find the policy and post it that would be helpful.
    The latest policy available is DODI 101001. Which is from 2012 and it still says AAS is only tested at the commanders discretion because the urine sample has to be sent to the Olympic Laboratory in California. They are the only or at least were the only lab allowed to test the sample per the Department of Defense.
    Here is an excerpt from that policy:
    e. Illicit possession or use of controlled substances by Service members as listed by sections 802 and 812 of title 21, U.S.C. (Reference (h)), including anabolic steroids , synthetic cannabinoids and other designer drug products, constitutes an offense under sections 801-940 of
    DoDI 1010.01, September 13, 2012
    ENCLOSURE 2
    Reference (g) (also known and hereinafter referred to as “The Uniform Code of Military Justice (UCMJ)”) and subjects the member to actions pursuant to Reference (g).
    So this reads as it has to be on your person to be tested for it.
    I'm just wondering if your friend heard something wrong is all. I am in the National Guard so obviously this information does concern me, but maybe it's only being randomly tested on the active duty side.
    Thank you for your service and it's good to see you back on the boards ArmyKid.
    USVet81 and Smiley619 like this.

Thanks, I don't post as often not but I'm always reading! I'll ask him today. It wouldn't be the first time I got bad info.
    Last edited by Armykid93; 02-19-2016 at 08:08 AM.

DHew is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    I just retired in MAy of 2015 as a Captain in the US Army. I had two successful commands under my belt. How new is "new"? Because less than a year ago, what you are saying about the UPL is complete bullshit. Barracks lawyers will ruin your life, I swear by it. In order for me to test someone for the use of Steroids , I had to have probable cause. I leterally had to almost catch them stabbing the needle in their ass to say, to get a request approved for that drug test.

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    Ex Military myself.

My opinion will probably be unpopular, but here goes.....

......I don't think it a good idea for the army to turn a blind eye with AAS. As many that serve in a combat capacity are of a younger age bracket, and since AAS affects fertility to a certain extent, I'd hate to see a substantial group of young men be affected with sexual sides, including difficulties with fertility.

The other issue is as follows. Suppose that the army were to embrace AAS for their combat troops. That being the case, they would have to monitor/manage the health protocols involved (yes, the Army IS responsible for your health), and be involved with the presumably weekly injections. On top of that, for the most part, you now have higher blood pressure and a higher resting heart rate. Does this also mean that the Army should be responsible for issuing blood pressure medicine to keep the troops BP in a "healthy" range?

For the most part, I think the Army wants their troops to be "lean and mean", not big and bulky. The bigger you are, for the most part, and everything else being the same, the lower your endurance. We need to move away from the mentality that combat strength comes from muscular strength, because it does not. Combat strength comes from the strength of your mind, the strength of your discipline, and the strength of your brain. Combat soldiers do NOT need big biceps. They need big technology.

Cheers!

---Roman
    Smiley619 likes this.

Euroholic is offline "ARs Pork Eating Crusader"
    As you surely must know op "official policy" and "real world practises" are not always the same. Just like over here the homosexual is free to serve but i have seen with my own eyes that they still cop alot of harassment/abuse from amongst all ranks.

I do think that when your in the army you should not be taking steroids . Your showing a disregard to the taxpayer. Imagine starting pct then going on a unexpected deployment and not being able to get your pct meds? I could not think of anything worse then being on patrol and suffering the effects of crashed hormones, you would be a liability to the patrol. The army does not need blokes to be "stage ready" all they require is some basic fitness and some tough mental strength. The food is sh*t in the army anyway(and you can not always eat when you need to)

just look at the blokes in ww1/ww2 they were quite small by todays standards but they experienced much more then any of us have. i couldn't imagine having 8 weeks training before being sent to the front. I could not even march after 8 weeks hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by DHew
    I just retired in MAy of 2015 as a Captain in the US Army. I had two successful commands under my belt. How new is "new"? Because less than a year ago, what you are saying about the UPL is complete bullshit. Barracks lawyers will ruin your life, I swear by it. In order for me to test someone for the use of Steroids, I had to have probable cause. I leterally had to almost catch them stabbing the needle in their ass to say, to get a request approved for that drug test.
    Is what tigerShark posted still the most up to date policy?
    The guy I got info from is a UPL lol, not a barracks lawyer.

bartman314 is offline Productive Member
    i tend to be more of a libertarian. that being said, i understand why disciplined based organizations need structure, heirarchy and policy. i just think it would be too bad to punish someone who wants to serve his country if he/she is wisely using AAS. of course, that's the rub... how do you distinguish wise from unwise. i don't think there's a practical solution to the problem. so, unfortunately i agree a policy should be in place to properly regulate.

Blog Entries
    I dont know what the most up-to-date policy is, Armykid. As a Company Commander, you have your own assigned JAG Officer (Army Lawyer) to give you legal advice and guide you in decisions to do things like this. I cannot spit out the regulation verbatim, but I do know that what I posted earlier was the case as of May 2015. I would have your UPL friend send you a copy of the random drug screening urinalysis letter/memo. This is a memo that the unit commander must read to all his Soldiers before initiating the actual test. The verbiage in there says EXACTLY what he will be testing for, to include what the possible random drug screenings may cover. That is your best bet.

I likely won't ever run anything anyway so I'll just wait for the next UA and see what they say in there.

Blog Entries
    yup, next month

Quote Originally Posted by DHew
    yup, next month
    Lol you know the drill

Tigershark is offline "Who wants to be Clark Kent, when you can be Superman."
    Hey Armykid. Post more often and don't be a stranger.
    As far as the most up to date policy? That is the only one I could find.

Quote Originally Posted by Tigershark
    Hey Armykid. Post more often and don't be a stranger. As far as the most up to date policy? That is the only one I could find.
    I definitely will.
    Euroholic likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Armykid93 View Post
    I definitely will.
    Dont leave mate. Worst mistake of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Euroholic
    Dont leave mate. Worst mistake of my life.
    Maybe the Army is better where your at. Blows ass here. I won't be getting out but I'm pretty tired of this stupid BS. I reclassed to another job recently so we will see how it goes, I don't expect it to be any better, What ever, I will put up with this crap another 15 years and then I can do something I actually want to.

Quote Originally Posted by Armykid93 View Post
    Maybe the Army is better where your at. Blows ass here. I won't be getting out but I'm pretty tired of this stupid BS. I reclassed to another job recently so we will see how it goes, I don't expect it to be any better, What ever, I will put up with this crap another 15 years and then I can do something I actually want to.
    The army is shit everywhere mate. They have their ways in taking the fun out of everything. They could make a threesome between Jennifer Aniston and Adriana lima sh*t. But for some reason the fact that it is so sh*t its somehow good. You know what i mean. I left because i was no longer able to be deployed due to medical so i thought i dont want to sit at a desk for the rest of my life and left. now looking back i should have just stayed. Being on civvy st sucks.

songdog is offline ARs TOP DOG ~ MONITOR ~
    Sad back in the 80s they would see it in our wall locker and didnt care.Boy were those the dayz.Back when you could drive into Mexico and get good stuff.

Thread Information