broncojosh is offline Senior Member

Bouncing again...but at 230 instead of 280!

Started bouncing again. It feels weird not being physically intimidating like I used to, and having to actually have a big bark, instead of just being intimidating. It's an upscale place, so there isn't the crap that most places deal with, but still 2 or 3 fights a week. Any of you guys bouncers? Peace

kc
    kc is offline Female Member
    I've been employed in the bar scene for over five years now and the bouncers have saved my butt more than a few times.... hopefully you have a lot of fun as well, i know i always do

palme is offline Rosie Member
    Hey bronco im new in the bouncing trade. Just wanna earn some extra $$.

How much dough are you guys making? I'm $12 an hour under the table. Not bad

daem is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by broncojosh
    How much dough are you guys making? I'm $12 an hour under the table. Not bad
    how does one actually apply for a job bouncing? intimidate the owner when asking for the job and see where it takes you?

Be in good with the bar tenders. Every bouncing job i've ever had is because the head bartender recommended me. And having descent size is VERY important too. peace

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~
    i bounce in philly. Being huge isnt all of it. I'm the smallest one of us and most of the other bouncers trust me the most. Some of the monsters we have are a big bunch of shit. All they have is genetics and know idea wha tto do with it.
    If people can't tell your on steroids then your doing them wrong

BOUNCER is offline Retired Vet
    Quote Originally Posted by gixxerboy
    i bounce in philly. Being huge isnt all of it. I'm the smallest one of us and most of the other bouncers trust me the most. Some of the monsters we have are a big bunch of shit. All they have is genetics and know idea wha tto do with it.
    I'm glad to read someone who knows what their talking about. I've been working on doors now over 12yrs and I can tell you it's got absolutely nothing to do with your size buddy. I've seen 230lb'ers have their ass kicked by 130lb'ers. And if you think people in general are intimidated by size your very wrong. Some of the best guys I've stood beside have been half my size. I'll tell you where your size might come in, is pulling people out of a row. Size has nothing to do with your ability to fight or even defuse a tense situation..

And hey, fuck the bartenders, let them pull their pints and you look after the security. Its a sorry barman that fucks with me, afterall it costs me nothing to look the other way when their getting shit and they damn well fucking know it.

Let me clarify my previous statement. When I was saying that size is important, which it still is, I was talking about getting the job. Daem asked about how one would go about it. Unless you have a slue of past experience, a club manager is going to want to see you are in good physical condition. And a bouncers job is not to get in fights. I've been working clubs off and on for 4 years, and the guys that play into getting in fights don't last. The whole reason for us being there is diffusing situations. Oh, and crowd control is alot easier at 280.

nevaenuf is offline Senior Member
    I make $80 a night and I ussually only work 9-2:30.

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~
    bronco i get $60 for 12:00-3:30. Body weight does help. I'm sure i could do alot more in a situation if i had another 20lbs but it all comes down to the individual. With your past exp. I'm sure you will be fine. And 230 isnt that small
    If people can't tell your on steroids then your doing them wrong

Vik
    Vik is offline Junior Member
    I bounce up north in Toronto in a lot of the clubs downtown. I usually work with promoters who are throwing special events that need their own extra security. I like bouncing this way because then i'm not tied down to one place and stuck there all the time. I'm 21 and have been doing this ever since highschool simply because its easy cash and now i'm making some serious coin. In the last few months I've even done security with some big names like Sean Paul, Allen Iverson, PMC and just last night I was working for Nick Carter, one of the Buttplug Boys...I mean Backstreet Boys. Size wise...I'd say I got some good size...I'm 6'2 and weighing in at about 260-265...But one thing i"ve learned about this business is that its not always about being big...most of the time its just about being smart and talking ur way out of problems...The way to look at it is to remember that you are gonna get paid the same if throw down or not...personally I'd prefer not to throw down...unless I'm in the middle of a cycle, then its hard sometimes to keep ur cool.

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    I'm glad to read someone who knows what their talking about. I've been working on doors now over 12yrs and I can tell you it's got absolutely nothing to do with your size buddy. I've seen 230lb'ers have their ass kicked by 130lb'ers. And if you think people in general are intimidated by size your very wrong. Some of the best guys I've stood beside have been half my size. I'll tell you where your size might come in, is pulling people out of a row. Size has nothing to do with your ability to fight or even defuse a tense situation..
    Exactly, couldn't have said it better myself. Smarts and experience are so much more important than being huge.

The money you guys say you are making you musn't be in the pole position. If I make a cent less than 200 and night I'm not too fucking happy. And the bar I work in is a hole. If you work in an busy, upscale place in a big city you should be able to pull in a minimum of 400-500 a night in the pole position.

Hoggage_54 is offline Suspended or Banned either way gone!
    What kind of martial arts or training do you guys take in order to be a bouncer, if you took any at all? A person i work with at a resturant was about 170lbs, 5'11, when he worked at a bar, but was a third degree ITF blackbelt. He told me he loved fighting "juice pigs" because they were so full of themselves but couldnt fight worth $hit.

Diesel-S.FL is offline New Member
    I worked as a bouncer at a night club on the
    Ft. Lauderdale strip. My buddy was head of security and he got me the job, started off at $10 an hour.
    Its true what they say too, our smallest bouncer was the best one because he was smart and he had some experience.

a third degree ITF blackbelt
    Hey any training is better than no training, but TKD is not that great for real world fighting, IMO. Ideally, you want a well rounded toolbox to draw techniques from in all ranges that you like and work for you. You NEED to be able to grapple. I can't believe someone would bounce without having some ma, boxing or wrestling experience.

I recommend Jui-jitsu, Judo, or Wrestling for grappling and Muay Thai or Boxing for some strking. Nowadays there are many free style clubs around that teach a well rounded set of techniques. The days of 'wax on wax off' are over, you can become competent enough at most of these arts in 6 months to a year to use them effectively against a non trained individual.

Hoggage_54 is offline Suspended or Banned either way gone!
    thx for the advice chicamahomico.. i've been wanting to be a bouncer for some time, i got the size, just not the experience.. i'm going to start looking around for places that teach stuff like that.

Quote Originally Posted by chicamahomico
    Hey any training is better than no training, but TKD is not that great for real world fighting, IMO. Ideally, you want a well rounded toolbox to draw techniques from in all ranges that you like and work for you. You NEED to be able to grapple. I can't believe someone would bounce without having some ma, boxing or wrestling experience.

I recommend Jui-jitsu, Judo, or Wrestling for grappling and Muay Thai or Boxing for some strking. Nowadays there are many free style clubs around that teach a well rounded set of techniques. The days of 'wax on wax off' are over, you can become competent enough at most of these arts in 6 months to a year to use them effectively against a non trained individual.

Agreed about the TKD, its pretty useless for street fighting. Most other stand up fighing such as kickboxing, Muay Thai or boxing is pretty good, but as the majority of street fights go to ground idealy BJJ or some other MMA is the preferred choice for me.
    I'm not sure if chicamahomico has worked a door before, if you have, I think you'll agree with me when I say that when I hear someone talk of size on the door it smacks of inexperience.

To the guy asking about us taking Martial arts lessions etc, my experience has been that most guys do the job 'on a wing and a prayer' and shouldn't really be on a door.

A final thought on size, and guys please don't take offence. My experience here in Ireland with dealing with Americans is that their a pretty soft bunch and not really up for the fight, that being the case you might get away with a show of size. but believe me, it don't work here in Ireland, or indeed England.

Bouncer

Bouncer i hafto agree on the americans being soft, always seem to go for the gun instead of being a man and solving problems toe 2 toe. Thats my experiance anyway, im sure there are tough bro´s in the US.

Im thinking about starting something again, probly boxing. But im not sure.

Palme look up some MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) DoJo in your area, no kata bullshit.

pround american here. Been all over the world, Ireland and Sweden included, and wouldn't call any other place home. Spent 3 months backpacking europe, spending time in a ton of bars/pubs/nightclubs and this american was scared...i figured it was because I, along with most other americans am soft ... I'm guessing both of you have a fairly limited exposure to Americans. Well at least it appears that way
    Last edited by broncojosh; 07-07-2003 at 11:00 PM.

DrJay73 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by palme
    Bouncer i hafto agree on the americans being soft, always seem to go for the gun instead of being a man and solving problems toe 2 toe. Thats my experiance anyway, im sure there are tough bro´s in the US..
    I'm guessing you haven't meet too many Americans then....

[QUOTE=A final thought on size, and guys please don't take offence. My experience here in Ireland with dealing with Americans is that their a pretty soft bunch and not really up for the fight, that being the case you might get away with a show of size. but believe me, it don't work here in Ireland, or indeed England.

Bouncer[/QUOTE]

That's a pretty bold statment from a moderator of all people. That would be like me saying my experience here in the US with dealing with Irish is all the want to do is get drunk and all the English want to do is drink tea...

All this talk about size....what happens if you meet a guy with size and strength and he knows how to fight? That's easy....you call the other 4 bouncers or call the cops!

Quote Originally Posted by Bouncer AKA bouncer
    Palme look up some MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) DoJo in your area, no kata bullshit.
    We dont have MMA here

Shootfighting, Tsu Shin Gen, B jui Jiutsu and krav maga (maybe) + the good old tai boxing and boxing. Im never setting my foot in a taekwondo leason (dont think that needs explination).

jeffylyte is offline Member
    Indiana. My phallus is bigger than Nathan's!
    regarding size and bouncing, the best bouncer ive ever seen was gigantic. he actually had the knickname of 'zuke, short for gadzuke, godzilla's son. anyway, the dude (this was in baton rouge) was about 6'9, 400. (at one time he was the highest rated o-lineman in the country until he got in a carwreck and ruined the knees.) the dude was so big, he made shaq look small (i saw them side to side once) and would grab fighters by the head, lift them up and throw em outside. (his hands were enormous as hell). anyway, he actually was intimidating and that was why nobody screwed with him. of course he was nice as hell and cool too! but knew what he was doing and about leverage and such (all those years playing football). so size can matter (i say in 90% of the cases).

as an aside, the guys sister was a looker. but damn, id hate to screw her over and piss the dude off.

Originally Posted by Bouncer AKA bouncer
    I'm not sure if chicamahomico has worked a door before, I think you'll agree with me when I say that when I hear someone talk of size on the door it smacks of inexperience.
    I have and I do agree. You have to put someone with experience that is cool on the door with me or I won't work it. Nothing like working outside with one or two other guys that are dumbasses or will spaz and cause problems....pretty soon you'll be lynched by an angry mob. Been there done that....not fun.

I don't care if you are Bill Kazmier or Bas Rutten(sp), 20 angry people who may or may not be brandishing weapons coming your way, smart guy runs. It's all about smart decision making.

H BOMB is offline Senior Member
    in most cases size does not matter but in some rare cases it does.

for instance my sparring partner has it all. size,strenght,speed,and skills

i always told him he would be a great bouncer. he has broke my ribs on 2 diff ocassions now.

he is a great boxer and grappler and i have kickboxing so we mix it all up and beat the shit out of each other, or me for that matter. lol

i always thought big guys were slow till i started sparring with him. sick speed

Chicamahomico, your the type of guy I want standing beside me on a door. Oh and here's how I like to earn my money (A post writen by someone who met me, from elitefitness, I used to moderatoe there).

http://boards.elitefitness.com/forum...r&pagenumber=1

Bronco and Djay sorry I hurt your feelings

Cool thread Bouncer.

I love working with guys that have any military background, they understand the objectives and make sure they are met. For the guys that are newer to this game the objective is: 'for all staff to safely make it home'. Too many guys I've worked with had zero clue about their purpose in the room or poo-poo the importance of paying attention.

Also if you are new, find someone who knows the crowd and get them show you the ropes. I was lucky to have some great guys show me the ropes...otherwise I might still be the dumbass that spends all night watching chicks dance.

Quote Originally Posted by chicamahomico
    ...otherwise I might still be the dumbass that spends all night watching chicks dance.

Yeah, but don't we just like to sample the goods too

Bouncer

Quote Originally Posted by Bouncer AKA bouncer
    Bronco and Djay sorry I hurt your feelings
    You didn't hurt my feelings at all. Just like you are obviously proud of being from Ireland (the toughest country in the world next to England ) I'm proud to be an American and when someone talks trash about my country - I'm gonna speak up and I don't care who you are or where your from.

I've been working doors for about 6 years in 3 different states and I can assure you that all Americans are not soft...don't mistake a few drunken tourists for the whole bunch

exactly. we'd be pretty soft if our feeling got hurt by something someone we don't know said, and moreover said on a computer. Please. Just proud to be who I am, and where I'm from. Oh, and Bouncer, you can't honestly tell me that you would rather be 210 and work the door...

Sorry guys seem's I jumped the gun a little. Just noticed your big tough avatar's

As regards working a door at 210lbs instead of my present 256lbs, wouldn't cause me a second thought. One of the toughest, hardest and meanest motherfuckers I've worked with was a semi-pro kickboxer who was half my size, he actually fights at 80kgs (2.2lbs per Kg). The worst was probably over 300lbs and a tub of lard, the fucker couldn't box eggs when it came down to it, oh yeah, he weight trains and does Kenpo karate (it's an American system ) and I wouldn't have him work the door of a childs cresh.

Some of the hardest guys I've fought have also been half my weight too. There was never a true'er word said when the immortal words "Its not the size of the dog in the fight, its the size of the fight in the dog" were spoken.

Anyway Bronco, enjoy the work and stay safe.

RoNNy THe BuLL is offline Anabolic Member
    Myself an VIK work together, and bouncing homey, it's all about havin' a LITTLE bit of size and being able to calm someone down mentally.

We've done private security for Sean Paul, DJ Tiesto, Nick Carter, Allen Iverson, Pearl Jam, Punjabi MC, Jadakiss and a whole bunch of other dudes.

They like guys that are bigger than the average dude, but not insanely larger. You become an insurance liability. If we bust some guys ass, which is actually a pretty rare situation, and he goes to the cops and says he wants to press charges? We fucked if we huge. Say we go to court, this little dude, maybe 150lbs will claim that you, all 250lbs of you, clobbered his ass for no reason. If you physically look bigger than him, then it's a problem. That's the insurance liability.

Myself and VIK have been doing this for awhile and seen a lot of shit, and man, we've worked with some insanely large dudes to extremely small dudes and to tell you the truth, I noticed that every drunk guy wants to fight the biggest bouncer. Haha, makes him the most hated and familiar face around. I don't like going to the mall and having someone say, "I know you!? You bounce at..." 'cause that shit's happened and I don't like it one bit.

RoNNy THe BuLL is offline Anabolic Member
    Another important point I forgot to mention...

We all get paid the same amount of money regardless of whether we fight or not. Personally, I like easy money...

Thread Information