• 1 Post By Quester
  • 1 Post By Quester
  • 1 Post By Obs
  • 2 Post By Quester
  • 1 Post By Quester
  • 1 Post By Euroholic
  • 1 Post By Obs
  • 1 Post By Euroholic

Thread: Whats a good college/uni program to go into with high job rates?

jamal123 is offline Junior Member

Whats a good college/uni program to go into with high job rates?

im honestly lost atm i went for finance college did a year a half it wasnt for me dropped out then went to go work in an automotive plant saved up 30k now im 23 and very lost on what to do career wise. I dont want to do labour jobs no more ive destroyed my arms from over stressing them in gym and work and i realized gym is a huge part of my life since i stopped going for a full year now and life feels so empty without it. Its my passion literally #1 thing i enjoy in this life.

So anyone got some recommendations? i just dont know what to pursue i would love to be a cop but its super hard to get a job here in that field maybe firefighter? something interesting maybe physiotherapy id love to help people get better from injuries cause i know being injured n sht aint fun but is it tough school wise? any insight would be helpful i need to get my sht together now thanks

also in the back of my head i really wanna pursue bodybuilding as a career which i know is very toughhh but i really am willing to do what is needed and i know its a tough path but i really think once i heal up my genetics were pretty dam good for never dieting and making serious gains naturally ppl thinking i was jucing when i never touched juice a day in my life yet. I dont know i would risk alot for bodybuilding as it forsome reason makes me super happy and give me a better insight on life and i dont care what anyone sais but i find life pretty plain without it like really i dont know what to do this year has sucked hard losing most gains and not being in gym.... im 5'7 tho so i think im kinda short to become pro?

songdog is offline ARs TOP DOG ~ MONITOR ~
    Well at 23 I think you got the whole world in front of you.The medical field is always hiring if you are smart enough and the money is good.
    Proximal likes this.

Obs
    Obs is offline Changed Man
    Quote Originally Posted by jamal123 View Post
    im honestly lost atm i went for finance college did a year a half it wasnt for me dropped out then went to go work in an automotive plant saved up 30k now im 23 and very lost on what to do career wise. I dont want to do labour jobs no more ive destroyed my arms from over stressing them in gym and work and i realized gym is a huge part of my life since i stopped going for a full year now and life feels so empty without it. Its my passion literally #1 thing i enjoy in this life.

So anyone got some recommendations? i just dont know what to pursue i would love to be a cop but its super hard to get a job here in that field maybe firefighter? something interesting maybe physiotherapy id love to help people get better from injuries cause i know being injured n sht aint fun but is it tough school wise? any insight would be helpful i need to get my sht together now thanks
    Become a tradesaman. You can make more money than a doctor on the pipeline welding or operating.

There is a huge demand for tradesmen in most industrys. People have been trained to believe physical work is an undesirable trait and it means big bucks for those that can work their ass off and use their head.

I am using a pipeline welder as an example here because it is perfect for your age. Get a CDL, go to a welding school, apply yourself and find a big company to work for. If you enter into this industry knowing you will be treated like a grunt for a few years but keep after it anyway you will reap serious financial benefits.

Take the good with the bad, enjoy the good times at work and realize that some days you will want to be anywhere else.

Being a tradesman is not like office work, its a much different kind of animal you have to deal with than at a corporate office.

I have had lots of interests and skills but college has never been in my scope.
    Proximal and Quester like this.

Proximal is offline Banned

Physical Therapist & a teacher myself. Are you in the states, cause I don't know about the schooling overseas?
    Obs likes this.

Quester is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Years ago, I went to dive school. Don't do that, great recruiters/extremely poor prospects. If your interested in tradework do as OB said. I worked in ND and made bank; first CDL, then exp, then welding school or go to ND as grunt and see if it's for you. For $3000 I got my CDL, drove OTR for a while then by virtue of oil and gas certifications I worked in ND.
    Obs likes this.

HEY! I'm a member!!!
    Obs likes this.

Obs
    Quote Originally Posted by Quester View Post
    Years ago, I went to dive school. Don't do that, great recruiters/extremely poor prospects. If your interested in tradework do as OB said. I worked in ND and made bank; first CDL, then exp, then welding school or go to ND as grunt and see if it's for you. For $3000 I got my CDL, drove OTR for a while then by virtue of oil and gas certifications I worked in ND.
    I started out driving and hated it but it fed us. My cdl was something I had to have later down the road to get a good job.

An important thing schools dont teach when you are learning to weld is what to look for. A guy can make a lot more working for a big contractor as a sub or as a contractor himself than he ever will as a boilermaker etc.. I didnt know what money was until I learned you have to travel. It sucks for family life but it is perfect for a young single man. Different bar every month and always some cutie that like your wad of cash and welder tan.
    Quester likes this.

Currently, I'll have my BS in Psych by the summer. Then I'll enter a ABSN (accelerated bachelor of science in nursing) in the fall. It's a sixteen month, four semester program. I plan to work 1 to two years and go back for a psych nursing degree (MSN or DNP ). This should pay 100k/yr. To do the same in psychology would take longer, exclude work and include high student loan costs.
    -Computerization/Automatization is expected to reduce available jobs by 40-60% in the next few (1-2) decades. Jobs least likely to be affected combine movement with variety, for example, construction and nursing.
    -My thinking: movement requires great processing speeds and types, power considerations, etc... Nursing, law and law enforcement require a person. People become emotionally needy and want other people to make them feel better in their time of need.
    Obs and songdog like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Obspowerstroke View Post
    I started out driving and hated it but it fed us. My cdl was something I had to have later down the road to get a good job.

An important thing schools dont teach when you are learning to weld is what to look for. A guy can make a lot more working for a big contractor as a sub or as a contractor himself than he ever will as a boilermaker etc.. I didnt know what money was until I learned you have to travel. It sucks for family life but it is perfect for a young single man. Different bar every month and always some cutie that like your wad of cash and welder tan.
    Plus, you never get so broke that you can't leave town!
    Obs likes this.

Euroholic is offline "ARs Pork Eating Crusader"
    Uni is a waste of time unless you want to be a doctor or lawyer or something like that. If you just want to make money Get into mining/construction. When i use to work i was making 200k a year at 22-24 years old. LEGAL MONEY!!
    Obs likes this.

the whole school system is stupid. All you need is to read and write and basic maths then you should be able to go out working at 9-10 years old. Think of all the lost income you could of had if you started working earlier. Education is good if you want to go to uni but making alot of money does not require uni

Obs
    Quote Originally Posted by Euroholic View Post
    Uni is a waste of time unless you want to be a doctor or lawyer or something like that. If you just want to make money Get into mining/construction. When i use to work i was making 200k a year at 22-24 years old. LEGAL MONEY!!
    Where you been good to see you back
    Euroholic likes this.

Where you been good to see you back
    Went out camping for a bit. Took the sisters jetski
    Obs likes this.

Become a tradesaman. You can make more money than a doctor on the pipeline welding or operating.

There is a huge demand for tradesmen in most industrys. People have been trained to believe physical work is an undesirable trait and it means big bucks for those that can work their ass off and use their head.

I am using a pipeline welder as an example here because it is perfect for your age. Get a CDL, go to a welding school, apply yourself and find a big company to work for. If you enter into this industry knowing you will be treated like a grunt for a few years but keep after it anyway you will reap serious financial benefits.

Take the good with the bad, enjoy the good times at work and realize that some days you will want to be anywhere else.

Being a tradesman is not like office work, its a much different kind of animal you have to deal with than at a corporate office.

I have had lots of interests and skills but college has never been in my scope.
    hey so how would you go on about pipe line welding in ontario i live near toronto area gta. Do you need to find a person to take you on as an apprentice? because thats pretty tough to find around here without hookups

F4iGuy is offline Senior Member
    You might want to link up with a career counselor. They can help you determine what career might be a good fit. Before you dedicate yourself to a program go shadow somebody in the profession that interests you. Its one thing to read about a career, or even interview somebody. You need to see what the job looks like in person, whenever possible. There are so many questions to answer... are you wiling relocate? what are the odds of finding employment? Many professions require degree, but more often its who you know and what experience you have relative to the job.

Did you know a 2 year degree in dental hygiene can start out at over 60k? Seems pretty low stress to me.

Obs
    hey so how would you go on about pipe line welding in ontario i live near toronto area gta. Do you need to find a person to take you on as an apprentice? because thats pretty tough to find around here without hookups
    I have no idea how things are in Canada. I know that here once you are a certified welder the apprenticeships are mainly a union thing. You do not have to be union to make huge bucks welding and can make more without the union. Prevailing wage depending on your state gives cash for benefits. Imo it beats the hell out of union benefits. Finding the right company is the hard part. Thats more of a personal opinion thing. Actually everything I have said pretty much is something you will have to decide upon. I am not a union kinda guy. There is more money to be made without them but there is also less if you get the wrong company. Finding the right size outfit that actually has good employees they keep busy can be difficult. Many dont give a damn and many will hire you and immediately lay you off. You want a company that depends on every man to really get shit done and not one that shuffles employees around from the hall a hundred at a time. Talking to employees and getting their thoughts before hiring on is key.

How long have you worked for this company?
    What is their turnover rate?
    Do they treat you good?
    All important questions.
    When you cant find anyone who has been around longer than two years.... there is a reason. When you find the company that has half of its employees have been there for years and love it... thats the one to impress.

A welder certification school is very affordable and most have job placement programs for local work that isnt so great. The big buck are in the gas and petroleum pipelines. 150+ an hour plus per diem is good bank.

Thread Information