Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Beetlegeuse
  • 1 Post By Beetlegeuse

Thread: 59-YO USMC & Army vet does basic training again so he can re-enlist.

Beetlegeuse is offline Knowledgeable Member

59-YO USMC & Army vet does basic training again so he can re-enlist.

59-year-old combat vet redoes basic training to join Army reserve after 10 years

He left service in 2009, three years short of retirement, for family reasons. And he's just finished basic at Ft Jackson, SC.
    SampsonandDelilah and Madcox like this.

Madcox is offline Junior Member
    I'm sure he probably ran circles around some of the younger millennials I'm glad to see that they allowed him to re-enlist

Honkey_Kong is online now Superbowl XLIX Champs!
    I'm glad they let him in. Getting that close to retirement sucks. They probably should've just let him have it.

Madcox is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Honkey_Kong View Post
    I'm glad they let him in. Getting that close to retirement sucks. They probably should've just let him have it.
    I was thinking the same thing they should have just let him have it being so close to retirement especially since he served in Marines and Army...

Beetlegeuse is offline Knowledgeable Member
    He had to have his physical and mental fitness re-tested because it's been too long since he demonstrated either to the army. The reason the military has so many more young men than old men is that young guys are far more likely to be able to perform all the baseline tasks.

But according to the photos, they already made him an E-6/Staff Sergeant. Most guys fresh out of boot camp will only be an E-2. Which IMHO is the best he could hope for.
    lovbyts likes this.

meetingpeople is offline New Member
    Such examples are inspiring! He's not so old, judging by the photo he's full of energy and strength to serve. I wish I had a mentor like him in the army. I think he`s an example to many - retirement isn`t a verdict for not working at your calling. I know one such comeback story too, my fellow was falsely accused of harassment that didn't really happen, that was all smoke and mirrors. With the support of a lawyer https://ucmjdefense.com/navy-militar...attorneys.html he was able to prove his innocence and was reinstated, btw his opponent left the army.
    Last edited by meetingpeople; 09-12-2022 at 10:33 AM.

Thread Information