Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Trump emissions threat to US car industry

marcus300 is offline ~Retired~ AR-Platinum Elite-Hall of Famer ~

Trump emissions threat to US car industry

Trump emissions threat to US car industry

The US car industry will be wrecked if President Trump relaxes emissions standards, California's governor says.

Jerry Brown said China would dominate car manufacture because it was heavily promoting the electric vehicles that would dominate the future.

He said huge investment was needed on electric vehicles, along with federal rules to encourage their purchase.

He said President Trump and US car-makers were "half asleep" and hadn't understood the scale of the challenge.

He told BBC Radio 4's Costing the Earth: "There will be a serious threat to the US auto industry.

"The Chinese have taken over the world in wind turbine production, and photovoltaic.

"They're going to take over the American car industry - and the people in Detroit are half asleep. They have to wake up - and I'm hoping they will.

"China's investing billions in battery technology and electric cars - and introducing a regulatory regime that will produce for their market a percentage of electric cars that to my knowledge no American executive can even imagine."

Jerry Brown says the US has a "very tall mountain to climb"

Mr Brown said he believed the electric car had a good prospect of being "very competitive" with petrol and diesel cars within five years.

California has special powers as a state to set its own car standards but Mr Brown believes federal action is essential to create a big enough market.

"Boy, it's a very tall mountain we have to climb. To make it work needs a federal tax and regulatory regime.

"But that we don't have and won't have until Mr Trump returns to his hotel business."

Mr Brown is leading a group of 15 states refusing to follow Mr Trump's attempt to lower CO2 standards for vehicles and electricity.

"We can pursue an intelligent, forceful climate agenda without jeopardising jobs and damaging our economy - which is the message of Trump," he said.

"We're in a contest of ideas, actions and policies. The outcome of this contest will determine what the world's going to look like in the next 10-20 years.

"We have to rise to the occasion."

'A rare sight'

California's critics say the state has talked a good game on clean vehicles but on its sprawling highways, electric cars are still a rare sight.

The governor admitted its electric vehicle programme is "nowhere near what it needs to be".

He wants 1.5m electric vehicles from what he said was 300-400,000 today - a task he described as a "very steep hill".

Mr Brown visited China a few months ago and promised co-operation over clean vehicles.

He said it was ironic that US car-makers previously driven to the verge of bankruptcy by fuel-efficient imported vehicles were once again campaigning against higher efficiency standards.

"We are looking for ways to up the ante against automobile companies who want to do less rather than more," he said.

"Maybe our biggest ally is the People's Republic of China, which is going to demand a zero vehicles initiative that would align very closely with California.

'With US car makers we are looking at the inertia of a complacent culture than enjoys the present and is unaware of the danger in the future."

"The global alliance on climate is growing stronger. We are carving our own path forward.

"Trump won't be a permanent phenomenon. We are holding the torch pending this sorry interim of environmental ignorance."

The Trump administration declined to be interviewed on Mr Brown's comments.

His supporters would point out that he is simply following through policies promised before the election to lower pollution standards, safeguard coal and withdraw from international agreements.

In the absence of a major political figure from the administration, Mr Brown will be the senior US politician at the UN climate talks in Bonn, where delegates are drawing up a rule book for implementing the Paris climate accord.

The US delegation is led by career diplomats who have accepted the seriousness of the climate threat.

But President Trump has infuriated other delegates by taking a delegation from Peabody Coal to trumpet the virtues of clean coal in tackling climate change.

Trump emissions threat to US car industry - BBC News

Obs
    Obs is offline Changed Man
    Oh my gosh...

I ain't joining this one...
    I drive old school 7.3 turbo diesels with the particulate filters deleted. Literally the only vehicle besides a 12 valve cummins you will find (readily available) without any emissions modifications.

When i step on the throttle that is pure unbridled exhaust coming out.

Smells like America!
    Then you turn up your 1994 Joe Diffie and slip a dip in, crack a cold one, and ease your rifle out the winder...

YEEE YEEE !!!

https://youtu.be/DJH8iMb2YXk

Watch it Marcus... You will like this one.
    marcus300 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Obspowerstroke View Post
    Oh my gosh...

I ain't joining this one...
    I drive old school 7.3 turbo diesels with the particulate filters deleted. Literally the only vehicle besides a 12 valve cummins you will find (readily available) without any emissions modifications.

When i step on the throttle that is pure unbridled exhaust coming out.

Smells like America!
    Then you turn up your 1994 Joe Diffie and slip a dip in, crack a cold one, and ease your rifle out the winder...

YEEE YEEE !!!

https://youtu.be/DJH8iMb2YXk

Watch it Marcus... You will like this one.
    Wtf is he saying lol. Fuk me cuntey boys lol
    songdog likes this.

Obs
    Quote Originally Posted by marcus300 View Post
    Wtf is he saying lol. Fuk me cuntey boys lol
    What?
    He?
    There was a guy in that?

EDCG19 is offline Senior Member
    First off, this is an interesting story

But there's a problem here. I'll never respect a thing Gov Brown says and this is simple keeping power in the hands of his friends. Electric cars are a joke and just not something I'm interested in the govt regulating so much that everyone has to have one in the next years. This is ridiclous and done to destroy the US industry. I'm not following along with this shit and I know damn well it has nothing to do with pollution or EPA standards etc...

Its never what they tell the public, you're sheep and you are supposed to follow what they feed you in the media. Keep watching the news guys, just keeping sucking bullshit information they spread to you

Not trying to sound like an anti-govt nut but anything they have to say I take with a grain of salt and couldn't give two shits what some news report tells me to believe in...
    Octaneforce, Obs and bass like this.

Obs
    Quote Originally Posted by goalinmind View Post
    First off, this is an interesting story

But there's a problem here. I'll never respect a thing Gov Brown says and this is simple keeping power in the hands of his friends. Electric cars are a joke and just not something I'm interested in the govt regulating so much that everyone has to have one in the next years. This is ridiclous and done to destroy the US industry. I'm not following along with this shit and I know damn well it has nothing to do with pollution or EPA standards etc...

Its never what they tell the public, you're sheep and you are supposed to follow what they feed you in the media. Keep watching the news guys, just keeping sucking bullshit information they spread to you

Not trying to sound like an anti-govt nut but anything they have to say I take with a grain of salt and couldn't give two shits what some news report tells me to believe in...
    Spoken well!

Octaneforce is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Goalinmind hit the nail on the head. Its all bullshit. No matter what we are going to use up resources electric gas diesel whatever. Theres just so many people. Not to mention auto emissions requirements actually HURT fuel economy, increase prices, complicate repairs, the list goes on.

Global warming his a hoax. There i said it!
    guitarzan and Sh0tsf1red like this.

guitarzan is offline Knowledgeable Member
    How do they plan to charge these electric cars without polluting the earth. Coal power plants?
    bass, Obs and Octaneforce like this.

Sh0tsf1red is offline Member
    Blog Entries
    Global warming is a hoax, designed to kill the US oil and gas sector while making sure the House of Saud doesn't lose their best customer
    Obs likes this.

David LoPan is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sh0tsf1red View Post
    Global warming is a hoax, designed to kill the US oil and gas sector while making sure the House of Saud doesn't lose their best customer
    Its called "Climate Change" now not Global warming. Libs have changed the name but now you know you will hear it on the news and in stories. 18 to 34 year olds, have been raised with the idea the planet will not support human life by the time they reach 60.

“A Canadian engineer has walked through the math of the subject, and concludes that to match the energy equivalent of a typical gasoline filling station today, an electric filling station would have to have the 30 megawatts of capacity.” Now, 30 megawatts of capacity is equivalent to the electricity use of 20,000 homes.

This type of constant threat to our own mental health is reason enough to turn the news off. Cut the cable, do NOT listen to news,and put on the movie Fight Club.
    Obs and 80svenicebb like this.

Obs
    Quote Originally Posted by bigtahl View Post
    its called "climate change" now not global warming. Libs have changed the name but now you know you will hear it on the news and in stories. 18 to 34 year olds, have been raised with the idea the planet will not support human life by the time they reach 60.

“a canadian engineer has walked through the math of the subject, and concludes that to match the energy equivalent of a typical gasoline filling station today, an electric filling station would have to have the 30 megawatts of capacity.” now, 30 megawatts of capacity is equivalent to the electricity use of 20,000 homes.

This type of constant threat to our own mental health is reason enough to turn the news off. Cut the cable, do not listen to news,and put on the movie fight club.
    don't talk about fight club !!!
    David LoPan likes this.

Spoken well!
    Would you die for your truck?
    hollowedzeus likes this.

Obs
    Would you die for your truck?
    Nope.
    But if someone was trying to steal it they would.
    80svenicebb, bass and marcus300 like this.

Max562 is offline Associate Member
    Global warming all bullshit...I got big ass s.u.v. With a big ass gas tank I'm not worried about that crap...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

hammerheart is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Global warming is real but it's a natural phenomenon already started millennia ago, the issue with emissions is the poisoning of environment.
    marcus300 likes this.

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    Recently a lot of literature is coming out on the role of mycilium
    And the massive amount of carbon sequestration that has failed to be accounted for in most of the predictive models. 30% of all bio massin the soil is fungal in nature. I think atmospheric science is really in its infancy still. But interestingly, if we were to terraform mars we need to know that information and it appears fungi would be the best option to help build soil for agriculture.

https://www.treehugger.com/climate-c...af-litter.html
    80svenicebb likes this.
    “If you can't explain it to a second grader, you probably don't understand it yourself.” Albert Einstein

"Juice slow, train smart, it's a long journey."
    BG

"In a world full of pussies, being a redneck is not a bad thing."
    OB

Body building is a way of life..........but can not get in the way of your life.
    BG

No Source Check Please, I don't know of any.

Depressed? Healthy Way Out!

Tips For Young Lifters

MuscleScience Training Log

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    Jerry Brown, what a buffoon!!!
    bass and MuscleScience like this.

Nope.
    But if someone was trying to steal it they would.
    What if all your guns were inside the truck - would you kill for your truck?

Global emissions of CO2 in 2017 are projected to rise for the first time in four years, dashing hopes that a peak might soon be reached.

The main cause of the expected growth has been greater use of coal in China as its economy expanded.

Researchers are uncertain if the rise in emissions is a one-off or the start of a new period of CO2 build-up.

Scientists say that a global peak in CO2 before 2020 is needed to limit dangerous global warming this century.

The Global Carbon Project has been analysing and reporting on the scale of emissions of CO2 since 2006.

Carbon output has grown by about 3% per year in that period, but growth essentially declined or remained flat between 2014 and 2016.

The latest figures indicate that in 2017, emissions of CO2 from all human activities grew by about 2% globally.

There is some uncertainty about the data but the researchers involved have concluded that emissions are on the rise again.

"Global CO2 emissions appear to be going up strongly once again after a three-year stable period. This is very disappointing," said the lead author of the study, Prof Corinne Le Quéré from the University of East Anglia.

"With global CO2 emissions from human activities estimated at 41 billion tonnes for 2017, time is running out on our ability to keep warming well below 2 degrees C, let alone 1.5C."

The most important element in causing this rise has been China, which is responsible for around 28% of the global total. Emissions there went up 3.5% in 2017, mainly because of increased coal use, driven in the main by a growing economy.

Another important factor in China has been lower water levels in rivers which have seen a drop in the amount of electricity made from hydro-power, with utilities turning to coal and gas to make up the shortfall.

US emissions have continued to decline but the fall has been less than expected. Higher prices saw a drop in the use of natural gas for electricity - with renewables and hydro-power picking up the slack.

Coal use has also grown slightly in the US this year, with consumption up about a half of one percent.

India's emissions are projected to grow by about 2%, which is a considerable decrease from around 6% per year over the last decade.

However, experts believe that this may be a temporary drop-off caused by a number of factors that have hampered the consumption of oil and cement.

Action required

Europe also saw a smaller decline than expected, falling by 0.2% compared with 2.2% over the last 10 years.

One common theme around the world is continued use of gas and oil, says Prof Le Quéré.

"There have been lots of ups and downs in the use of coal but in the background there has been no weakening in the use of oil and gas. And that is quite worrisome."

The report has been launched in Bonn where UN negotiators are trying to move forward with the rules for the Paris climate agreement.

Researchers involved with the study say they are not moving fast enough.

"Lots of diplomats are working out the rules but that is all a little bit meaningless unless they go back home to their countries and ratchet up climate action and that is where the gap is," said Dr Glen Peters, from the Centre for International Climate Research in Norway.

"These countries have to be pushing on with the policies, but everything keeps getting pushed back."

The report is sure to increase tensions in Bonn between developed and developing nations.

There is increasing resentment about the fact that all the focus is on future commitments made under the Paris climate agreement but very little on the years before it becomes active.

Poorer countries want the richer ones to increase their carbon-cutting actions over the next three years.

"The climate will not let us wait until 2020 when the Paris agreement comes into force," said Nicaragua's chief negotiator, Paul Oquist.

"Climate change is happening now and it's vital that immediate actions to cut emissions become a feature of this summit."

The new research on carbon emissions has been published simultaneously in the journals Nature Climate Change,Earth System Science Data Discussions and Environmental Research Letters.

diesel101 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Octaneforce View Post
    Goalinmind hit the nail on the head. Its all bullshit. No matter what we are going to use up resources electric gas diesel whatever. Theres just so many people. Not to mention auto emissions requirements actually HURT fuel economy, increase prices, complicate repairs, the list goes on.

Global warming his a hoax. There i said it!
    You nailed it!!!!! As a diesel mechanic for 29 years I have seen the down falls of "better emissions" the vehicle runs cleaner but burns more fuel.

I talked to a engineer form GM a few years ago and he told me that GM actually looses money on every electric vehicle they sell. The car manufactures are allowed so many carbon credits for the amount of vehicles they sell so when they sell electric vehicles it allows them to produce more larger vehicles(2500,3500 gas and diesel pickups and performance cars)
    those are the vehicles that they make a larger profit on.

Everyone forgets that when they plug that car into the wall that there is a power plant somewhere producing electricity to charge that car.

As for the newer vehicles with the low emissions systems I hope they don't change a anything because as a diesel repair shop I make a lot more money repairing them
    Obs, Octaneforce and RaginCajun like this.

They also forget about all them batteries. We use to do work st a battery plant, nasty stuff
    bass likes this.

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    The Ozone has the smallest hole in it in years.

Global warming CO2 gases, bite me

Obs
    What if all your guns were inside the truck - would you kill for your truck?
    I would not shoot someone without a visible firearm in their hand even if they were in my hme most likely.

In fact, I do not support concealed carry. If a man is gonna carry a gunon his person it needs to be wide open for all to see.

A man shouldnt get in trouble for having a pistol in his glovebox or a rifle behind his seat or if he throws a coat on an partially covers it.

Now... Too many people out there need their asses kicked. I have done much research on this. When someone is being an ass hat or trying to be a little wanna be gang banger and a father or good boyscout finally decides it is time to shut them up.... All the sudden they produce a previously invisible pistol and someone gets shot because the little ass wipe was too much of a puss to take the ass kicking he so deserved.

I do not think concealed carry should be illegal and know few people who do. The ones id do know that tuck it away I frequently call pussies. I had one such pussyman as a laborer putting water main in one of the worst neighborhoods on the planet.

I told him:

By the time you get that fucking pos glock out of your boot, you and all the peolle next to you are gonna get sprayed by an uzi. These boys are just as scared of getting their asses kicked as you are so they have learned to carry their shit in the open.

Couchlokd has had guns pulled on him in similar neighborhoods as I have. 99% of the time you pull a gun on someone with a gun and shots will be fired and someone will be dead or hurt bad.

Its not science. When some little bitch pulls a gun on you they have no intention of using it.

Yes concealed weapons have saved several lives but they have also caused a shit ton of deaths to regular guys that were going to deliver a much needed ass whipping to a chickenshit doucebag.

I have sat down a 1911 .45 acp on the garage counter and walked straight across the street to whip someones ass. I thought about that afterward and how it was a complete no brainer. You don't go toting a gun into a situation where you know someone is unarmed and things will get heated.

Nothing I own is worth someones life. Guns, truck, home, etc... It would be a select situation before I would shoot someone stealing from me. If someone brings a gun into my home or has the intention of hurting my family I will kill them on site. I won't wound I will kill them. Other than that we are just gonna go to the ground any their only of getting away is if they can kick my ass.
    I am not the kinda guy who shoots a burglar unarmed outright because it is unethical for me to do so. I know someone who has shot many people simply for them being on his property or stealing and he is the worst human being I have ever met. He likes to hurt people and brag about it. One of the people he is suspected of killing (he didi it) is a lawyer who won a lawsuit against him for shooting two black homeless men for squatting in his factory they thought was abandoned. One had his leg amputated and sued and won. His attourney was shot right in front of his wife by the factory owner. They proved his vehicle was there and the shooter fit davids description but.... Police have no suspects at this time...

David is rich.

The world is fucked up enough without people getting blasted away for unethical reasons.

diesel101 is offline Anabolic Member
    I am going to disagree with you on this one. I of course do not live in a big city and we do not have the crime that some of you do. I carry concealed 90% of the time and I would be willing to use it if someone is threating myself,family or anyone else's well being(it is legal in my state to protect other people). I am against open carry in public just for the fact that in most cases I feel that when some people see a gun it puts them on edge and makes them very nervous. Once they see the gun I think that the chances of reasoning with that person is over because all they concentrate on is the gun.

As far as giving some one a ass kicking that can be trouble too. We just had a situation in my town where a guy punched another man once (he did deserve it I am told) the man fell to the ground hit his head and died the next day. The guy is currently being held for murder/manslaughter.
    Obs and bass like this.

Obs
    Quote Originally Posted by diesel101 View Post
    I am going to disagree with you on this one. I of course do not live in a big city and we do not have the crime that some of you do. I carry concealed 90% of the time and I would be willing to use it if someone is threating myself,family or anyone else's well being(it is legal in my state to protect other people). I am against open carry in public just for the fact that in most cases I feel that when some people see a gun it puts them on edge and makes them very nervous. Once they see the gun I think that the chances of reasoning with that person is over because all they concentrate on is the gun.

As far as giving some one a ass kicking that can be trouble too. We just had a situation in my town where a guy punched another man once (he did deserve it I am told) the man fell to the ground hit his head and died the next day. The guy is currently being held for murder/manslaughter.
    I know what you mean and I can't argue with that in the least. I live in a small town but have worked in some terrible places.

It should be everyones right and I am not saying it should be illegal but when I have a gun all know it. Those thugs won't start crap in the first place when there are people around with a .45 on their hip for all to see. As they say an armed society is a polite society. I supposed a mixture of open and concealed carry is probably as good as it can get.

EDCG19 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Max562 View Post
    Global warming all bullshit...I got big ass s.u.v. With a big ass gas tank I'm not worried about that crap...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    The issue isn't really even global warming. This is something that has always happened, there are people in the elite who use stuff like this to further their own agenda and to keep their own power to the elites. Global warming or climate change isn't an issue as most of you have been told by the media. The issue is much more serious than most realize, they're selling something to their slaves to believe in
    bass likes this.

Reckon this guy gives a shit about emissions!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzXVLbs41Ew
    Obs likes this.

bass is offline HRT Specialist ~ Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by guitarzan View Post

thats fvcking cool. got to get me one of those. glad to see so many members not suckered into global warming crap. trump might not be perfect but he sure exposed the assholes in Washington on both side, if there is two sides! i DO NOT trust anything that comes out of the mouth of politicians, especially Brown the retard . history speaks for itself.
    guitarzan likes this.

Obs

My back couldnt take that shit... Awesome though!

Speaking of emissions, my jeep motor come in. Dyno'd at 520 hp

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1341.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	711.9 KB 
ID:	170976

Name:	IMG_1339.JPG 
Views:	83 
Size:	1.60 MB 
ID:	170977
    Obs likes this.

Obs
    Speaking of emissions, my jeep motor come in. Dyno'd at 520 hp

Name:	IMG_1341.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	711.9 KB 
ID:	170976

Name:	IMG_1339.JPG 
Views:	83 
Size:	1.60 MB 
ID:	170977
    Living the life aincha?

Trying too, if the liberals would leave me alone!
    Obs likes this.

Obs
    I have a transmission being rebuilt by the slowest fuck I have ever seen and am about throw a bunch of non-hacking saws in the dumpster. I wish I could afford toys.

Only toy I have is a souped up 395xp and guns. Unless you include sex toys... Got lots of those.

Couchlock is offline Banned
    I drive a 79' coupe deville, 97' sts, 07' Pontiac gxp
    Obs likes this.

Obs
    Quote Originally Posted by Couchlockd View Post
    I drive a 79' coupe deville, 97' sts, 04' Pontiac gxp
    That coupe needs horns on the hood and purple interior and it has the potential for a bullriding vehicle.

Couchlock is offline Banned
    That coupe needs horns on the hood and purple interior and it has the potential for a bullriding vehicle.
    You know you might think I'm bullshiting you but I always wanted some bull horns on the hood of one of my coops

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

Obs
    You know you might think I'm bullshiting you but I always wanted some bull horns on the hood of one of my coops

They belong.
    I have spent some screwed up nights in one of those.
    Throw on a cowboy hat and you are immediately a pimp.

Obs

Brother puked over the side one night while driving, I was directly behind him. @ 55mph none of it went to the ground, it all found my face. Amazing I like a car with such terrible memories.
    charger69 likes this.

Obs
    The truck that got the most ass was a 94 chevy with semi stacks in the back. This was back before people put stacks on diesel pickups. We were the most attractive rednecks on earth.

We had a bunch of tree bark build up around the improperly installed stacks and we were going down the road and flames were coming halfway up the back glass!

We laughed our asses off while we were putting the fire out. I feel like I just remembered a different life.

I swear to God you must be my brother. Dad was an over the road trucker from hell... Might be possible.

Obs
    Quote Originally Posted by diesel101 View Post
    You nailed it!!!!! As a diesel mechanic for 29 years I have seen the down falls of "better emissions" the vehicle runs cleaner but burns more fuel.

I talked to a engineer form GM a few years ago and he told me that GM actually looses money on every electric vehicle they sell. The car manufactures are allowed so many carbon credits for the amount of vehicles they sell so when they sell electric vehicles it allows them to produce more larger vehicles(2500,3500 gas and diesel pickups and performance cars)
    those are the vehicles that they make a larger profit on.

Everyone forgets that when they plug that car into the wall that there is a power plant somewhere producing electricity to charge that car.

As for the newer vehicles with the low emissions systems I hope they don't change a anything because as a diesel repair shop I make a lot more money repairing them
    If you had tits...
    diesel101 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information