Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By almostgone
  • 3 Post By guitarzan
  • 1 Post By Rida5d

Thread: Smoking tobbacco, chewing/dip/snus etc..

EDCG19 is offline Senior Member

Smoking tobbacco, chewing/dip/snus etc..

Any smokers or snus users in here? How the fuck do you quit?

Mooseman33 is online now Knowledgeable Member
    man its funny you post this.

I have smoked for 20 years now. I used to love it now I hate it.
    I can not quit, i am powerless to these things. I have beat opiates and these things fvcking own me.
    I lost my mother last March from COPD, I feel it coming my way and still cant stop. My 5 year old begs me to stop.

I cry every night about this shit, its going to kill me and I cant stop.
    Last edited by Mooseman33; 01-29-2018 at 12:07 PM.

Capebuffalo is offline - MONITOR -
    Smoked 3 packs a day for years. Quit with the patch.

Now I’m a can plus of Skoal mint snus a day. No plan to quit.

hollowedzeus is offline Productive Member
    Quitting for anyone other than yourself wont work.

You have to want it bad enough. And even then its very very difficult because of the hold the chemicals have on you but it can be done.

Just unfortunate that it took heart attacks for some of my family members to realise they wanted it bad enough

almostgone is offline AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by goalinmind View Post
    About 20 years ago, I got pneumonia, tried to choke down a Marlboro red, coughed up something that looked like the inside of a rotten peach, gave away the better part of a carton, refused to buy any more, and refused to bum a smoke.
    Worked in a job shop w/ ~ 14 other guys, all smokers. It wasn't easy, but I kept packs of sugar free gum and sugar free peppermints handy. Once you get past day 3 or 4 you have it almost whipped. Just watch out for the urge to hit you after eating, having a drink, or after sex.
    When the urge to smoke hits, look at the clock, then wait 10 minutes, then see how you feel. For me, the urge would have passed.in that 10 minute period.

Mainly, get rid of all you have, refuse to buy any more, and refuse to bum any tobacco. If you can do that, you can't fail.
    EDCG19 and Dnutz22 like this.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

David LoPan is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by goalinmind View Post
    Went on and off smoking and dripping for a lot of years. I would quit and then go drinking and some how pick it back up. Been off for years now due to vaping. I have a plan to stop that now too. Just dropping the nic levels down.

I can say that the rules on smoking where amd what not helped. Patches didn't do a thing. That medicine did work but can't remember it's name. But bottom line it's a daily thing.

I had to start slow, no smoking in the house or car. Kept track of how much I smoked amd found triggers. I can say although vaping looks like your giving a dragon a BJ with all the smoke it worked. Just need to get off the hand to mouth habit.

The power of habit by C Duhigg is a great read.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

hammerheart is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I'm lucky I have been smoking for years (on and off) since 13 but never developed an addiction, for some reason. I quit cold turkey many times no prob.

im smoking right now why I read this

guitarzan is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I've been smoking and/or dipping for 30 years. I've tried to quit several times but the urges were too strong. After losing her house to a fire, and her husband a few days later to a .357 in the mouth, my mother in law moved in and lived with us for 7 months. After watching her sit around on our patio (my man cave) and continue to smoke while coughing her guts up, something clicked. I haven't smoked or dipped since June of last year, and haven't had any strong cravens!

Octaneforce is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    I remember drinking beers and dipping to get a harder buzz and then riding our bicycles around when we were kids. Man i used to really feel that nicotine high. I read an article about how bad that shit is for you and never touched it again. I was just an uneducated punk. Good times though. I can smell a tin of cherry or peach skoal from a mile away.

Dnutz22 is offline New Member
    Idk if you've tried that prescription med called Chantix, but it takes all urges away to smoke....not %100 on dip...etc. Only thing is it CAN cause some side affects like depression. I quit using it, but started back 3yrs later. Other than that, you have to REALLY wanna stop and then beat it 1 urge at a time...one day at a time. I'm trying to use the patch atm to stop and think its gonna work. But again, I want to quit...not doing it because of anyone else. Gl to everybody trying to get off this poison!!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

charger69 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I dipped Skoal for 28 years before I quit. Hardest thing to do. I was dipping 2 cans a day. CA taxes on the tobacco products played a small part. The biggest part was that my teeth got Fucked up. I had a dream that I had throat cancer which totally scared the shit out of me. I used the herbal chew, coconut, and sunflower seeds ( anything to replicate having tobacco in my mouth). It was hard but gradually got easier as time passed.
    I know someone who has throat cancer. It is like a living hell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BuddyGlove1 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by David LoPan View Post
    The power of habit by C Duhigg is a great read.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    Truly an awesome book..

BuddyGlove1 is offline Junior Member
    I did use Copenhagen for a few years. was hard to quit. Not nearly as long as a lot of the others on this board though. Finding a good thing to switch to helps.

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyGlove1 View Post
    I did use Copenhagen for a few years. was hard to quit. Not nearly as long as a lot of the others on this board though. Finding a good thing to switch to helps.
    You were lucky! It didn’t have a chance to control your life. I would eat so that I could enjoy a dip after.

Iron Frenchie is offline Junior Member
    For me it's gone from smoking a pack a day when I was younger to vaping. Let me tell you vaping is hard to quit. I think even harder then cigs. You get way more nic'd out when you vape. Not just my experience but many others too. For me I had to go outside to smoke cigs but I could vape inside. It made it so much more convenient. You could lower the nicotine level but I failed at this and just ended up vaping more. If it was higher nic I would vape way less. I then went to prision for 2 years and that was what got me completely off. I don't know If i could of quit on my own. But when your in that situation it's so much easier to quit because you just know your screwed.

yeahbuddy289 is online now Knowledgeable Member
    I’m a moderate chewing tobacco user.... it usually takes me about 2 weeks to finish a tin... sometimes less, but more often than not sometimes longer.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahbuddy289 View Post
    I’m a moderate chewing tobacco user.... it usually takes me about 2 weeks to finish a tin... sometimes less, but more often than not sometimes longer.
    Holy shit. I was doing a tin to 1 1/2 per day.

Ernst is offline Borderline Personality
    I smoked around a pack a day for ten years.

I quit about ten years ago as I was getting into weight lifting because I heard I would gain 10lbs and I was a desperate, skinny little bastard. I had already quit drinking, which helped a lot too. Booze and nicotine go together all too well.

When I got the flu it was a reason and a way. I had a week or so off work with no outside stresses and whenever I craved a cigarette I would just take shots of Nyquil (screw the suggested dose *glug, glug*). Pretty hazy-dreamy week or so; lots of drvgged napping on the couch. As I came out of my self-induced Nyquil fog it was just about exercising mental strength. The nicotine was physically gone from my system; I knew it was all a mind game at that point.

< <Samson> > is offline Neurologically Intact
    Blog Entries
    I have smoked since the age of 12 - kinda one of those must pick up things when I was young

I have come to terms with my uses over the years - I quit smoking 2-4 years at a time, I think 3 times now.

This time around, I'm the best out of the other tries. It's all a mental game - I think it's been about 3-4 months since I picked up one cigarette & about 8 months since I bought a pack.

Quote Originally Posted by < > View Post
    I have smoked since the age of 12 - kinda one of those must pick up things when I was young

I have come to terms with my uses over the years - I quit smoking 2-4 years at a time, I think 3 times now.

This time around, I'm the best out of the other tries. It's all a mental game - I think it's been about 3-4 months since I picked up one cigarette & about 8 months since I bought a pack.
    Keep it going brother! The one month mark was the corner for me. You’ve made it this far, don’t look back

i actually was doing good, cutting back.

then the school shooting hit. I live 2 miles from the school.

stress level right up, smoking in full strength again

Quote Originally Posted by Mooseman33 View Post
    i actually was doing good, cutting back.

then the school shooting hit. I live 2 miles from the school.

stress level right up, smoking in full strength again
    No man. Find some other way to handle the stress. It’s too f’ing hard to quit to get back on!
    It all sucks, but do not go through the the deprivation again.

< <Samson> > is offline Neurologically Intact
    Blog Entries
    Stress seems to be the #1 key here

I'm the least stressed I prob have been all of my life. It sure made it easier - cigarettes were just always there when stress rose up.

Low stress = no smoking for me

Rida5d is offline Member
    Lol
    I started the same thread 2014
    I am a no smoker now .. I quit ..
    Listen my friend , everyone CANNOT quit till they hear the doc telling them they have lung cancer , And once in a sudden , after hearing the bad news , they can quit ..
    It’s ur choice , u wanna quit now or when the doc gives u the shitty news ? It’s Ur call

https://forums.steroid.com/anabolic-...ss-kicked.html
    < <Samson> > likes this.

20+ year smoker myself. Best i could do was quit for 6 months once. Tried patch, chantix (which by the way, be careful with if you are prone or genetically inclined to mental illness, depression, etc- nothing to play with), just could never kick it. Good friend of mi e was in same boat, was able to finally quit by using the electronic cigarettes. Handles that craving of having a smoke in your hand i guess. He doesnt use nicotine in it any more, just water vapor. Heard same thing from quite a few ppl so may give it a shot

Gallowmere is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dannyboy51577 View Post
    20+ year smoker myself. Best i could do was quit for 6 months once. Tried patch, chantix (which by the way, be careful with if you are prone or genetically inclined to mental illness, depression, etc- nothing to play with), just could never kick it. Good friend of mi e was in same boat, was able to finally quit by using the electronic cigarettes. Handles that craving of having a smoke in your hand i guess. He doesnt use nicotine in it any more, just water vapor. Heard same thing from quite a few ppl so may give it a shot
    Definitely worked for me. That said, I won’t be dropping the nic from mine. Makes no sense to, given that nicotine has no detrimental effects beyond those similar to caffeine, and I’ll never be giving that up. All of the bad shit about smoking, dipping, etc. is caused by the tobacco specific carcinogens, which has nothing to do with nicotine. This is why we don’t see the gums and lozenges causing oral cancers.

No shit gallow, works good huh? He swears by it, so maybe ill give that a shot sometime soon here. I guess he just wanted to be done with it all, smoke, nicotine, etc. I think his is just water vapor, if that makes sense. Im not sure how they work. But good heads up, im gonna have to give it some serious thought

Gallowmere is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dannyboy51577 View Post
    No shit gallow, works good huh? He swears by it, so maybe ill give that a shot sometime soon here. I guess he just wanted to be done with it all, smoke, nicotine, etc. I think his is just water vapor, if that makes sense. Im not sure how they work. But good heads up, im gonna have to give it some serious thought
    It’s not normally “water vapor” at all. It’s a combination of vegetable glycerin, propylene glycol, nicotine and flavoring elements of various types. The mixture ratios are what determine strength of flavor, how hard it hits, how much vapor is produced, etc.

For example, my personal mixes for my RDA are 6mg nicotine derived from 50/50 100mg nic base, 75% VG and 25% PG for cutter, then anywhere from 2.5-5% flavoring, depending upon which one I’m using.

Thread Information