Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree183Likes

Thread: **Elk and Moose bow hunting**

marcus300 is offline ~Retired~ AR-Platinum Elite-Hall of Famer ~
    Being enslaved by only seeing the world through your own eyes is of great disadvantage, learning and understanding to look through someone's else's eyes will give you great insight instead of a fixed view point. Peoples perception will open up if your willing to see the world from innocent eyes when looking at two sides of a view.
    bethdoth and RaginCajun like this.

Obs
    Obs is offline Changed Man
    Quote Originally Posted by cousinmuscles View Post
    In all seriousness you are making racist remarks.
    There is only one guy on this forum I hate and this is precisely why.
    cousinmuscles likes this.

Obs
    Hey cousininstigator, what motherfucking race am I?
    Answer this honestly you little shit stirring prick.
    I know what you want but it wont happen piss ant.

tarmyg is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    Feels like this thread is a pretty far off topic but it did bring back memories of the first time dad took me out hunting. I had shot a rifle precisely twice before, and we headed out deer hunting. He sat me down in a place in the woods, told me to only shot in a specific direction and shoot if I saw a deer and then left to his spot. Sitting there with an old combination rifle I can remember hearing my own heart beating the entire time but doubt I would ever have seen a deer coming as I almost crapped my pants when dad suddenly tapped on my shoulder to go home. Good times!
    RaginCajun and Obs like this.

Obs
    Quote Originally Posted by tarmyg View Post
    Feels like this thread is a pretty far off topic but it did bring back memories of the first time dad took me out hunting. I had shot a rifle precisely twice before, and we headed out deer hunting. He sat me down in a place in the woods, told me to only shot in a specific direction and shoot if I saw a deer and then left to his spot. Sitting there with an old combination rifle I can remember hearing my own heart beating the entire time but doubt I would ever have seen a deer coming as I almost crapped my pants when dad suddenly tapped on my shoulder to go home. Good times!
    Great story. We allgot a million memories out there. I havent been that at home in 18 years. I wish to hell I could go back there and sit for an hour.

Mr.BB is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Obs View Post
    Hey cousininstigator, what motherfucking race am I?
    Answer this honestly you little shit stirring prick.
    I know what you want but it wont happen piss ant.
    Redneck race, right?

hollowedzeus is offline Productive Member
    Great story. We allgot a million memories out there. I havent been that at home in 18 years. I wish to hell I could go back there and sit for an hour.
    My memories is crawling through the forest undergrowth on my hands and knees exploring while my dogs run circles round me and smell all there is to smell. No need to have a gun in hand or trying to harpoon an animal to teach children to enjoy nature.

You have all been taught to hurt nature unfortunatly.

The thrill in watching animals in the wild doing their own thing is amazing. Watching it crash to the ground with blood pissing out its chest from the arrow shot is not
    marcus300 likes this.

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    In all seriousness you are making racist remarks.
    Nothing racist about what he said. Where the hell did you read that?
    Obs likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hollowedzeus View Post
    My memories is crawling through the forest undergrowth on my hands and knees exploring while my dogs run circles round me and smell all there is to smell. No need to have a gun in hand or trying to harpoon an animal to teach children to enjoy nature.

You have all been taught to hurt nature unfortunatly.

The thrill in watching animals in the wild doing their own thing is amazing. Watching it crash to the ground with blood pissing out its chest from the arrow shot is not
    I don’t think he has been taught to hurt nature, where did you get that from? It is about respect for nature. Conservationists do more for animals and Mother Nature than most know. Maybe where you live is just different, or you have a mental picture that most hunters go out there and slaughter animals for the fuck of it, not true. Last year I hunted more than I ever have, saw more whitetail deer than I can remember, and guess what, I did not harvest a deer last year even though I could, as you put it, kill 100s of them.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginCajun View Post
    I don’t think he has been taught to hurt nature, where did you get that from? It is about respect for nature. Conservationists do more for animals and Mother Nature than most know. Maybe where you live is just different, or you have a mental picture that most hunters go out there and slaughter animals for the fuck of it, not true. Last year I hunted more than I ever have, saw more whitetail deer than I can remember, and guess what, I did not harvest a deer last year even though I could, as you put it, kill 100s of them.
    Well not shooting one kind of animal tends to increase its numbers yes.

Shooting animals in a non pest control sense it hurting nature. Theres no ifs or buts really

'Hey look son, that squirrel is looking for nuts for its young. Try and zing it between the eyes'

Youre welcome nature. You owe us one for taking care of that rascal

But yes i absolutely have the picture that most of you love the thrill of killing. No doubt

cousinmuscles is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Nothing racist about what he said. Where the hell did you read that?
    It was certainly not in hell I read that it was in his posts. Replace europeans with e.g. African Americans and there is plenty of reason to see why you don't make that generalization. But of course you look at what they mean when the particular person makes the reference, e.g. in an interview where they have time to think of their response:
    Obs: Is it worth it putting them in a vehicle when they are 200x more likely to die that way? Ban vehicles pussy.This is America we don't live un fear like European faggots because something is loud and looks scary. We have the most wealth for 1 reason. We stole ground by shooting motherfuckers that didn't want us to have it. Now we have the best farm ground and we protect it with the best guns Life is really that simple. Ban something dangerous like cigarettes. You dumb cunt euro's also can't understand... We would not surrender firearms. We are not that big of pussys.

tarmyg is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    But yes i absolutely have the picture that most of you love the thrill of killing. No doubt
    I can see how you from your standpoint is partial to that viewpoint. Unmistakably, pest control is there only because humans created an imbalance from the beginning. There is never really any true pests, just animals out of sync with its surrounding nature. Now, my dad is 75-years this year and raised me in a certain way because he was, right or wrong. I think your argument is solid, but in the end, these discussions are just that as it is all subjective, subjective until there is a clear majority for one or the other side declaring victory. It always happens even though it sometimes takes a long time. It's pretty clear that hunting, and I would argue meat from live animals, will one day be entirely obsolete for one reason or another be it artificial meat or social changes. Personally, I have not hunted since 1992, but that's a different story.
    hollowedzeus likes this.

It was certainly not in hell I read that it was in his posts. Replace europeans with e.g. African Americans and there is plenty of reason to see why you don't make that generalization. But of course you look at what they mean when the particular person makes the reference, e.g. in an interview where they have time to think of their response:
    I think you are trying to make it racist.

From the context that I read, seems he was stating that some Europeans have done away with traditional things like hunting. That is how I read it to be.
    Obs likes this.

David LoPan is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    RaginCajun likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tarmyg View Post
    I can see how you from your standpoint is partial to that viewpoint. Unmistakably, pest control is there only because humans created an imbalance from the beginning. There is never really any true pests, just animals out of sync with its surrounding nature. Now, my dad is 75-years this year and raised me in a certain way because he was, right or wrong. I think your argument is solid, but in the end, these discussions are just that as it is all subjective, subjective until there is a clear majority for one or the other side declaring victory. It always happens even though it sometimes takes a long time. It's pretty clear that hunting, and I would argue meat from live animals, will one day be entirely obsolete for one reason or another be it artificial meat or social changes. Personally, I have not hunted since 1992, but that's a different story.
    Thank you for that. Couldnt be said any better really.

It is an opinion and ive made mines very clear throughout the thread. You may think im wrong and i think you are wrong.

We are adults able to hold conversation about a topic.

This thread completely derailed due to not being able to form a complete satisfactory argument in my opinion from the pro kill side.

I think the thread title should be more in focus now of bow killing vs guns and such as that is why the thread was created.

Thank you for that. Couldnt be said any better really.

It is an opinion and ive made mines very clear throughout the thread. You may think im wrong and i think you are wrong.

We are adults able to hold conversation about a topic.

This thread completely derailed due to not being able to form a complete satisfactory argument in my opinion from the pro kill side.

I think the thread title should be more in focus now of bow killing vs guns and such as that is why the thread was created.
    I don’t think any of us are wrong, we all have our own opinions and thoughts. We don’t have to agree with each other, that’s why we have these discussions
    Obs likes this.

I don’t think any of us are wrong, we all have our own opinions and thoughts. We don’t have to agree with each other, that’s why we have these discussions
    Surely you must think i sound like a daft wee fairy though lol

Haha! Nope, not at all. That is what you believe so I can respect that.
    Obs likes this.

Obs
    I think you are trying to make it racist.

From the context that I read, seems he was stating that some Europeans have done away with traditional things like hunting. That is how I read it to be.
    Ues tjat is precisely how I meant it. I am white last time I checked and not that long ago came here from europe in my ancestry.

Going Kayaking only brought a glock. Promise I wont shoot any animals. Ceptin snakes...

Couchlockd is offline Senior Member
    I feel guilty killing spiders, let alone a mammal on 4 legs.

people, well we are inherently evil, and for some odd reason, I can't even muster up fake emotion watching cartel steak knife beheadings.

but I watch an actual white tail hunt, I get completely beside myself.
    Mooseman33 likes this.

African Americans?! I have yet to see one.

charger69 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    There’s that word again...... daft. Not just daft, but daft wee fairy!
    I will learn your language yet. LOL

hollowedzeus likes this.

Ues tjat is precisely how I meant it. I am white last time I checked and not that long ago came here from europe in my ancestry.

Going Kayaking only brought a glock. Promise I wont shoot any animals. Ceptin snakes...
    Your white ass proves it. LOL

Obs likes this.

bethdoth is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Well not shooting one kind of animal tends to increase its numbers yes.

Shooting animals in a non pest control sense it hurting nature. Theres no ifs or buts really

'Hey look son, that squirrel is looking for nuts for its young. Try and zing it between the eyes'

Youre welcome nature. You owe us one for taking care of that rascal
    Hunting seasons are controlled so that we can't hunt them when they are pregnant or just had there babies. That is why hunting season is in the fall, deer have their fawns in the spring. You should maybe try to educate yourself about how each state manages their wildlife. https://dnr.wi.gov/topic/WildlifeHab...anagement.html No if the herd gets to big many will be killed by cars or maybe a motorcycle and kill the rider too!

Quote Originally Posted by bethdoth View Post
    Hunting seasons are controlled so that we can't hunt them when they are pregnant or just had there babies. That is why hunting season is in the fall, deer have their fawns in the spring. You should maybe try to educate yourself about how each state manages their wildlife. https://dnr.wi.gov/topic/WildlifeHab...anagement.html No if the herd gets to big many will be killed by cars or maybe a motorcycle and kill the rider too!
    I am not a hunter and do not own any guns This thread has really been an educational experience. I did not know half the shit. Luckily, I just was ignorant and never tried to take sides.
    I know a lot of people that I relate to on here love their guns. Wait...... I forgot, I do have a pellet gun and did try to alter the pigeon population. The pigeons won and I redid my roof.
    My whole roof was a pigeons nest! No shit. 35 50 lb bags of pigeon shit were taken off my roof. Having a tile roof in the desert attracts them. No more tile roof.

bethdoth likes this.

Obs
    I wasn't gonna respond but I figure I better confess...

Cousin is correct. If you take words out of what I said and switch them with racist things, my statement does appear racist.

I just blew snot all over my phone! Lmfao!

He will continue to follow me around trying to instigate things in an attempt to get me banned because that is what he does. Irritating at best.

I wasn't gonna respond but I figure I better confess...

Cousin is correct. If you take words out of what I said and switch them with racist things, my statement does appear racist.

I just blew snot all over my phone! Lmfao!

He will continue to follow me around trying to instigate things in an attempt to get me banned because that is what he does. Irritating at best.
    Ok. The old man says it’s time for a group hug!

Obs likes this.

Obs
    Quote Originally Posted by charger69 View Post
    Ok. The old man says it’s time for a group hug!

I wpuld loooooooove to hug him with my oil injected biceps and natty gains of two years.
    charger69 likes this.

see^^^ He's not racist, he owns a GLOCK.....
    Obs likes this.

Obs
    Quote Originally Posted by m.hornbuckle View Post
    see^^^ He's not racist, he owns a GLOCK.....
    Lmao

Quote Originally Posted by bethdoth View Post
    Killing isnt morally justified because the deer isnt pregnant im afraid in my opinion.

If i heard that it was six months past a deers mating season i personally wouldnt be licking my lips and think its time to kill

Ernst is offline Borderline Personality
    Killing isnt morally justified because the deer isnt pregnant im afraid in my opinion.

If i heard that it was six months past a deers mating season i personally wouldnt be licking my lips and think its time to kill
    I think this is your problem. You think all hunters somehow get their rocks off in the moment that is the act of killing. This is simply not so. Have you ever been fishing? What did you like more? Hooking them? Watching them suffocate in the air? Cracking them on the head? Frying them up afterwards? You said you've hunted and killed vermin. Did you find yourself aroused? Imagine you could eat that rat and it was super tasty and gave you 30 kilos of meat. Would you consider it? When you get past culture, traditions, self-reliance, bonding, and whatever else, it comes down to we're animals that eat meat. I don't feel any hunter needs your moral justification any more than a lion does. Yet I still felt absolutely terrible when I hit that raccoon with my truck and it didn't die quickly. Guess there's a soft spot in there somehwere.

-----

My previous long-winded post was really more about explaining that a bow and arrow was not any more 'brutal' than using a gun, since it seemed there was a gap in understanding that part. Now let me quickly address a few reasons one might choose a bow over a rifle. There are probably more but this what I think of.

1. It's considered more sporting. One has to get closer and bring more practiced skill to the hunt.

2. Respect of the animal. Not only has one chosen a more sporting approach but one is also using a method which will ensure more of the meat of the animal is left edible.

3. Extended hunting season. It is common in the US for archery hunting seasons to begin earlier and maybe run later than gun hunting season. More chances to put meat in the freezer.

4. Location, location, location. Specific rules vary widely around the US but there are areas where one cannot use a gun but you can use a bow and arrow. Bullets can travel for amazingly long distances, while this is not much of a concern with arrows. Where I live in particular guns are more tightly controlled and not terribly popular with the voting populace as whole. I would have to drive an hour to find a public range where I could shoot a rifle. Archery on the other hand is generally more accepted by folks here. There is a free access wooded range with animal targets and archery classes offered at the local park. As a kid I remember being allowed to shoot arrows at hay bales in the backyard. With guns we could only use bb guns, pellet guns, or shotguns loaded with low brass birdshot because anything more powerful would carry too far.

5. Ease and prohibited persons. There is usually a limited number of hunting permits (or "tags") issued. There are ones specifically for guns and it may be easier to get one for archery hunting. To use a gun I have a lot of legal hoops to jump though, bows and arrows are not so controlled. Also, here in the US if you were ever convicted of a felony (like possession of AAS ) then firearms would be illegal for you to have. However, once you are off parole/probation you can generally own bows and arrows without any issue.

FWIW I do not hunt like at all. To boot I suck with a bow and would never attempt to take an animal with one at my current skill level. I do have friends and family who hunt with bows and if I were going for a more 'sporting' approach I would not hesitate to use a handgun since I am suitably proficient. If everyone had spent time growing up in the country on or around farms and had a better understanding of where packaged meat came from as a result of that then I don't think hunting would seem such an issue to them. Hunting for us is not all about bloodlust or disrespecting the animal.

(PS-- I am not looking for an argument over some asshole dentist wounding lions with arrows-- lots of hunters wanted to hunt him after that.
    It's gotta suck when both Greenpeace and the NRA are sending you death threats. What can I say? There are assholes everywhere.)
    RaginCajun likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ernst View Post
    I think this is your problem. You think all hunters somehow get their rocks off in the moment that is the act of killing. This is simply not so. Have you ever been fishing? What did you like more? Hooking them? Watching them suffocate in the air? Cracking them on the head? Frying them up afterwards? You said you've hunted and killed vermin. Did you find yourself aroused? Imagine you could eat that rat and it was super tasty and gave you 30 kilos of meat. Would you consider it? When you get past culture, traditions, self-reliance, bonding, and whatever else, it comes down to we're animals that eat meat. I don't feel any hunter needs your moral justification any more than a lion does. Yet I still felt absolutely terrible when I hit that raccoon with my truck and it didn't die quickly. Guess there's a soft spot in there somehwere.

-----

My previous long-winded post was really more about explaining that a bow and arrow was not any more 'brutal' than using a gun, since it seemed there was a gap in understanding that part. Now let me quickly address a few reasons one might choose a bow over a rifle. There are probably more but this what I think of.

1. It's considered more sporting. One has to get closer and bring more practiced skill to the hunt.

2. Respect of the animal. Not only has one chosen a more sporting approach but one is also using a method which will ensure more of the meat of the animal is left edible.

3. Extended hunting season. It is common in the US for archery hunting seasons to begin earlier and maybe run later than gun hunting season. More chances to put meat in the freezer.

4. Location, location, location. Specific rules vary widely around the US but there are areas where one cannot use a gun but you can use a bow and arrow. Bullets can travel for amazingly long distances, while this is not much of a concern with arrows. Where I live in particular guns are more tightly controlled and not terribly popular with the voting populace as whole. I would have to drive an hour to find a public range where I could shoot a rifle. Archery on the other hand is generally more accepted by folks here. There is a free access wooded range with animal targets and archery classes offered at the local park. As a kid I remember being allowed to shoot arrows at hay bales in the backyard. With guns we could only use bb guns, pellet guns, or shotguns loaded with low brass birdshot because anything more powerful would carry too far.

5. Ease and prohibited persons. There is usually a limited number of hunting permits (or "tags") issued. There are ones specifically for guns and it may be easier to get one for archery hunting. To use a gun I have a lot of legal hoops to jump though, bows and arrows are not so controlled. Also, here in the US if you were ever convicted of a felony (like possession of AAS ) then firearms would be illegal for you to have. However, once you are off parole/probation you can generally own bows and arrows without any issue.

FWIW I do not hunt like at all. To boot I suck with a bow and would never attempt to take an animal with one at my current skill level. I do have friends and family who hunt with bows and if I were going for a more 'sporting' approach I would not hesitate to use a handgun since I am suitably proficient. If everyone had spent time growing up in the country on or around farms and had a better understanding of where packaged meat came from as a result of that then I don't think hunting would seem such an issue to them. Hunting for us is not all about bloodlust or disrespecting the animal.

(PS-- I am not looking for an argument over some asshole dentist wounding lions with arrows-- lots of hunters wanted to hunt him after that.
    It's gotta suck when both Greenpeace and the NRA are sending you death threats. What can I say? There are assholes everywhere.)
    I appreciate your arguments but killing pests i didnt enjoy. And i certainly didnt enjoy hunting with .22 rifles and fishing.

I think any life on earth is precious and deserves a chance.

I understand the respect hunters think they show but it shows more repect imo to leave the animals be.

To me its abhorrent using anything other than a one hit kill weapon. A rifle for example. Arrows are definetly not and require the animal to bleed and suffer.

We will never agree on the subject. But i understand that we have been brought up with different views on the world so who is to say each person is wrong.
    I think you are utterly wrong but it doesnt mean im right

Great points Ernst, but it will be completely disregarded by Hollow and Marcus.

They are biased towards this, or they've seen too many movies where somebody gets shot and fall immediately to the floor, they think thats what happens in real life, so think arrows are barbaric while bullets are merciful. They think gun hunters aim for head, or that even if they aim for heart that with a gun the animal will just drop dead. They dont understand kinetic power or knock down power. Its just a useless discussion.
    Ernst likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.BB View Post
    Great points Ernst, but it will be completely disregarded by Hollow and Marcus.

They are biased towards this, or they've seen too many movies where somebody gets shot and fall immediately to the floor, they think thats what happens in real life, so think arrows are barbaric while bullets are merciful. They think gun hunters aim for head, or that even if they aim for heart that with a gun the animal will just drop dead. They dont understand kinetic power or knock down power. Its just a useless discussion.
    Most of this forum is biased towards ernst view, you included.

I think both are barbaric and wrong.

In my experience if youre good enough and you rattle a shot through a head the poor fucker is going down.

Ernst is offline Borderline Personality
    But you eat meat, Zeus?

Too late to leave the forest animals be. We're overrun because the last generations of humans killed their predators. The only control on our native deer population is either starvation or hunting. The wild boar aren't native and are an invasive pest that destroys our natural forests as well as agriculture.

I assure you the 'all life is precious' thing goes out the window really fast when you hear some coyotes ripping an animal apart while it still alive and it's screaming. Especially if it happens to be your pet.

If you'd read my previous post I explained that the one hit insta-kill rifle is kind of a myth. Yeah, I know it was super long and you and many others probably skipped it :/

Try reading this: https://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/bi...-deer-one-shot

You should at least have the chance to make a properly informed opinion.
    Last edited by Ernst; 06-03-2018 at 05:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ernst View Post
    But you eat meat, Zeus?

Too late to leave the forest animals be. We're overrun because the last generations of humans killed their predators. The only control on our native deer population is either starvation or hunting. The wild boar aren't native and are an invasive pest that destroys our natural forests as well as agriculture.

I assure you the 'all life is precious' thing goes out the window really fast when you hear some coyotes ripping an animal apart while it still alive and it's screaming. Especially if it happens to be your pet.

If you'd read my previous post I explained that the one hit insta-kill rifle is kind of a myth. Yeah, I know it was super long and you and many others probably skipped it :/

Try reading this: https://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/bi...-deer-one-shot

You should at least have the chance to make a properly informed opinion.
    Im also assuming you skipped my previous posts in the thread where i explain my thoughts on eating meat.

I havent read any links anyone has posted since i believe what i think without question and reading alternate views just annoys me. There is no argument that will convince me. Any argument that will even come close to convincing me will always be pest control not hunting. Completely different imo.

Ive shot rabbits and theyve dropped. Ive shot birds and theyve dropped. Rats, mice.

My guns must be magic.

Once again however. We are not animals, we are not a part of nature. We have evolved past it.

Animals dont pay taxes or drive cars. We rule the world and as such have the power to make ethical desicions that unevolved animal brains cannot

Most of this forum is biased towards ernst view, you included.

I think both are barbaric and wrong.

In my experience if youre good enough and you rattle a shot through a head the poor fucker is going down.
    In your experience? You have no experience.

Will try again... no hunter aims for head, the risk of missing is too high. If you dont hit cerebellum, even if you actually hit the head, the animal will just be wounded, blind or go bezerk. This is not a movie.

Havent you seen headless chickens running around for quite some time?

Thinking that headshots are merciful its something of the movies, quite some suicidal ppl learn this the heard way.

I will make that my last post in the thread as i have repeated the same thing over and over to different arguments.

You may think im a muppet but no one has presented a semi convicing argument in my eyes despite the many attempts.

I will still be watching

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information