Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: My first handgun - 22LR ?

Fluidic Kimbo is offline Morale Officer (de facto)

Lightbulb My first handgun - 22LR ?

I joined a gun club last year. The way it works in countries that are less insane than the USA, is that you need to be in a club for at least a year before you can apply for a firearms certificate.

So now I'm looking at buying my first pistol. I want something small with cheap ammo for a first gun. My local dealer has a nice 2nd hand 22LR pistol, and I can get 50 rounds for approx US$17.

I was talking to one guy though who's been shooting for decades, and he tells me he's never seen a 22LR pistol than doesn't have feeding problems. He says they're terrible for jamming.

Any opinions here?

Honkey_Kong is offline Superbowl XLIX Champs!
    Aren't you disqualified from owning a gun due to your trips to the looney bin and being prescribed psyche meds?

Nutcases like you have no business being around firearms. Go take your meds.
    Cuz and XnavyHMCS like this.

Cuz
    Cuz is online now VET
    Poetry, boxing, now handguns. Glad you’re across the pond bud
    Honkey_Kong and XnavyHMCS like this.

Maybe they should bring back mental asylums?
    XnavyHMCS and lovbyts like this.

JTP$ is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Honkey_Kong View Post
    Aren't you disqualified from owning a gun due to your trips to the looney bin and being prescribed psyche meds?

Nutcases like you have no business being around firearms. Go take your meds.
    im completely unaware of OPs past, but on the subject of 22 pistols, they typically do malfunction alot, but some are much better than others.

i have a beretta M922 that literally never jams. glock model 44 is supposedly reliable with certain types of ammo.

first pistol should probably be 9mm though

Quote Originally Posted by JTP$ View Post
    im completely unaware of OPs past, but on the subject of 22 pistols, they typically do malfunction alot, but some are much better than others.

i have a beretta M922 that literally never jams. glock model 44 is supposedly reliable with certain types of ammo.

first pistol should probably be 9mm though
    He's a real nut case. Like the kind of guy that comes on here telling us he's going to trap wild animals so that he could torture them (he really did make a thread about that). Then of course he's got his boxer LARP that he recently started.

Kimbo should never even have a first pistol. I wouldn't say he'd be safe even at some gun club with it. I'm so glad he lives on the other side of the pond and not in America.
    XnavyHMCS likes this.

s1nc1ty is online now Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluidic Kimbo View Post
    Prisons can't hold me. I smeared my cell with excrement once, and they sent in a clean-up crew. I did it a second time and they transferred me out to a psychiatric facility. It was all very avoidable if they'd just fed me.

Something doesnt add up here

Why dont you just cut it with the bulllshit Kimbo youve exposed yourself 10 times over, noone takes you seriously over here. All your lies are in vain since you have no credibility... only making yourself look stupid

Quote Originally Posted by s1nc1ty View Post
    Why dont you just cut it with the bulllshit Kimbo youve exposed yourself 10 times over, noone takes you seriously over here. All your lies are in vain since you have no credibility... only making yourself look stupid
    The people here know that I'm the original authentic real McCoy. You'll know when I start touring talk shows in the US.

He's a real nut case. Like the kind of guy that comes on here telling us he's going to trap wild animals so that he could torture them (he really did make a thread about that). Then of course he's got his boxer LARP that he recently started.

Kimbo should never even have a first pistol. I wouldn't say he'd be safe even at some gun club with it. I'm so glad he lives on the other side of the pond and not in America.
    torturing animals... what the fuck?

we are defined by our actions, and it is imperative to conduct oneself with integrity and never resort to being evil.

The people here know that I'm the original authentic real McCoy. You'll know when I start touring talk shows in the US.
    delete your account, youre not welcome here
    Honkey_Kong likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by JTP$ View Post
    delete your account, youre not welcome here
    Dude you need more practise. Fourteen years I'm running this place.

I'm considering the CZ P09.

Still not sure about plastic guns though. Obviously it's not the same kind of plastic they make $5 Chinese toys from, but still I think I'd prefer metal.

I fired a 9mm Glock 17 yesterday at the range and it's got a plastic stock.

22LR rounds will cost me about a quarter of the price of 9mm, , I don't mind how big the rounds are. Vital organs are fucked either way, whether it's a 22LR or a 9mm.
    Last edited by almostgone; 07-01-2023 at 07:33 AM. Reason: Don't project your thoughts on others.

almostgone is online now AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    I'm asking nicely. No more comments about putting holes in someone's guts.
    I've had a long night, a shit morning, and I really don't want to start locking and archiving threads.

I will give you a bit of advice. Typically rimfire semiautomatics do tend to be more problematic with jamming simply because they don't burn as clean as centerfire and you're using part of the energy of a weak cartridge to cycle the slide.

Quality rimfire semiautomatics will either cycle just fine or very poorly. Usually it's either because the action is dirty from unspent powder, a shitty magazine, or it's picky about ammo.

If you're worried about jamming, go with a revolver. A Ruger GP100 in .22 LR will last a lifetime+ and has a 10 round cylinder. Yes it's expensive, but you get what you pay for

Personally, I always buy copper plated .22 ammo. Plain lead bullets usually get a little bit of extra grease when they are seated/ assembled and over time the grease can run down to the rim and you'll have a dud/misfire. Personally, I hate handling rimfire ammo that has already been struck once. I usually set the whole firearm aside for 5 minutes or so. Call it overcautious, but I still have 8 fingers and 2 thumbs and haven't gotten hurt yet in centerfire "pop w/no kick" malfunction.

Edit: The reasons I recommend a revolver are:

You no longer have to worry about extraction, ejection, stripping a round out of the magazine and chambering the round/the slide going back into full battery.

Also, you'll have no magazine woes/mag spring fatigue/follower issues with a revolver.

Revolvers are much easier to maintain and are more forgiving in regards to function.

On a final note, if you fuck up a Ruger revolver, you should realize you aren't cut out for shooting anything other than a paintball gun/Airsoft.

Edit: If you're just wanting to shoot at targets or as most of us Southerners say " go plinking", they have some pretty decent break barrel air rifles on the market in .22 caliber.

Ignore the MSRP on the model of Ruger I posted a picture of. I've never had to pay MSRP for any firearm, particularly Ruger.

Please don't make me regret giving you advice
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My first handgun - 22LR ?-screenshot_20230701-093702.jpg  
    Last edited by almostgone; 07-01-2023 at 09:01 AM.
    Cylon357, Cuz and DADDYDBOL like this.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

Is 10 the absolute most rounds you'll get in a revolver? Are there any bigger guns that can take 12 or 16.

I'm liking the idea of getting a .22LR revolver with a high round capacity. 10 is good.

almostgone is online now AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    Is 10 the absolute most rounds you'll get in a revolver? Are there any bigger guns that can take 12 or 16.

I'm liking the idea of getting a .22LR revolver with a high round capacity. 10 is good.
    I've not really looked around for a higher capacity. The diameter of the cylinder kind of limits things.
    It wouldn't hurt to crank up your search engine and check around?
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

Quote Originally Posted by almostgone View Post
    I'm asking nicely. No more comments about putting holes in someone's guts.
    I've had a long night, a shit morning, and I really don't want to start locking and archiving threads.

I will give you a bit of advice. Typically rimfire semiautomatics do tend to be more problematic with jamming simply because they don't burn as clean as centerfire and you're using part of the energy of a weak cartridge to cycle the slide.

Quality rimfire semiautomatics will either cycle just fine or very poorly. Usually it's either because the action is dirty from unspent powder, a shitty magazine, or it's picky about ammo.

If you're worried about jamming, go with a revolver. A Ruger GP100 in .22 LR will last a lifetime+ and has a 10 round cylinder. Yes it's expensive, but you get what you pay for

Personally, I always buy copper plated .22 ammo. Plain lead bullets usually get a little bit of extra grease when they are seated/ assembled and over time the grease can run down to the rim and you'll have a dud/misfire. Personally, I hate handling rimfire ammo that has already been struck once. I usually set the whole firearm aside for 5 minutes or so. Call it overcautious, but I still have 8 fingers and 2 thumbs and haven't gotten hurt yet in centerfire "pop w/no kick" malfunction.

Edit: The reasons I recommend a revolver are:

You no longer have to worry about extraction, ejection, stripping a round out of the magazine and chambering the round/the slide going back into full battery.

Also, you'll have no magazine woes/mag spring fatigue/follower issues with a revolver.

Revolvers are much easier to maintain and are more forgiving in regards to function.

On a final note, if you fuck up a Ruger revolver, you should realize you aren't cut out for shooting anything other than a paintball gun/Airsoft.

Edit: If you're just wanting to shoot at targets or as most of us Southerners say " go plinking", they have some pretty decent break barrel air rifles on the market in .22 caliber.

Ignore the MSRP on the model of Ruger I posted a picture of. I've never had to pay MSRP for any firearm, particularly Ruger.

Please don't make me regret giving you advice
    there is nothing more annoying than trying to fire a semi auto firearm that jams frequently. ive got an advantage arms .22 lr conversion kit for my glock 30 the seems to jam every single shot. they say that using expensive, CCR minimag rounds will fix that issue, but i think the main benefit of .22 lr is that the ammo is dirt cheap (or at least it was before all the shenanigans that happened over the last decade). using expensive ammo that almost costs the same as bulk pack 9mm doesnt make sense to me.

the smith and wesson victory is supposedly very reliable for a semi auto .22 but i think they are ugly. i absolutely love my beretta m9-22, and that ruger revolver is nice too. i was thinking about buying a smith and wesson model 617, but havent gotten around to it yet.

personally though, i like the idea of practicing with a .22 rifle or pistol that is similar to a larger caliber firearm that is a viable option for defensive use. as in, beretta M9-22 practice leading to skill with a glock 17, and s&w M&P15-22 practice improving skill with a 5.56 AR15.

I really like that 10-shot revolver.

If you go on the Ruger website, it sells for over a thousand dollars. But other sites like Guns Warehouse have it for US$634.

I'll be asking a registered gun deal in Ireland to have one shipped over from America. Can anyone suggest a good dealer? Both for new and used guns. If there's a used one in very good condition then I'll take it. Otherwise I don't mind buying it new for US$634.

I really like that 10-shot revolver.

If you go on the Ruger website, it sells for over a thousand dollars. But other sites like Guns Warehouse have it for US$634.

I'll be asking a registered gun deal in Ireland to have one shipped over from America. Can anyone suggest a good dealer? Both for new and used guns. If there's a used one in very good condition then I'll take it. Otherwise I don't mind buying it new for US$634.
    Sorry, but we can't post sources.
    almostgone and Cylon357 like this.

Cuz
    Cuz is online now VET
    You dont need a handgun kimboi, youll shoot your eye out!

Quote Originally Posted by Cuz View Post
    You dont need a handgun kimboi, youll shoot your eye out!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG20230702081541.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	1.49 MB 
ID:	182592

omg wow now you are alpha male grats

if I have problems I call you ok

XnavyHMCS is offline Senior Member
    I had a Ruger Mark IV .22LR, she is a semiauto and I do not recall having an inordinate occurrence of jams.

You can't go wrong with Ruger.

Can you briefly explain the requirements and regs for you to have a handgun, in the UK? I know that here on the continent, it is quite easy to do under the realms of "sporting permit" (that being the basic minimum), a "collector permit"... Good fucking luck getting a CCW permit, here in Poland. I had a lady as a student some years ago, and she was a firearms instructor. She said that in the last year, Poland only issued 6 CCW permits nationwide... Europe, for a host of reasons, do not feel the need to possess firearms.
    Cylon357 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by XnavyHMCS View Post
    I had a Ruger Mark IV .22LR, she is a semiauto and I do not recall having an inordinate occurrence of jams.

You can't go wrong with Ruger.

Can you briefly explain the requirements and regs for you to have a handgun, in the UK? I know that here on the continent, it is quite easy to do under the realms of "sporting permit" (that being the basic minimum), a "collector permit"... Good fucking luck getting a CCW permit, here in Poland. I had a lady as a student some years ago, and she was a firearms instructor. She said that in the last year, Poland only issued 6 CCW permits nationwide... Europe, for a host of reasons, do not feel the need to possess firearms.
    You only have need to carry a gun concealed in america tho where any nutjob can get a gun and there is actually a real chance to get into a firefight. In eu only cops and hunters have gun licence mainly. And some few very well behaved people usually. I personally have known very few people with a real permit

Like i saw on the net recently guy in the us went for a burger but got wings instead. Not chicken wings but angel wings since he got shot dead in the burger joint lol

As far as uk goes i know they have super strict knife laws, you cant carry a knife in the uk if it is a fixed blade or a folding knife if it has a lock to fix the blade. They make special UK legal folding knives without locking system, wich are useless basicallly for anything exept cutting paper. And even cops dont carry guns there so i imagine gun laws are very very strict there also
    Last edited by s1nc1ty; 07-02-2023 at 06:30 AM.
    XnavyHMCS likes this.

If you search on the internet about guns in Northern Ireland, it says that nobody is allowed to have a handgun except for the police and half a dozen high-profile politicians (for their self-defense).

But then you go to a gun club in N. Ireland and you find out that anyone who's been in the club for about a year can apply for a firearms certificate, and if it's approved then they can take guns home (but they need to have a safe in their car and also in their house).

For the time being, I can get my club to order in a Ruger GP100 .22LR for me, and it will stay in the safe at the gun club and I won't be allowed to bring it home til I get a firearms certificate. Until I get a certificate, I can practise with it at the range, but I can't bring it home til I get the cert.

If you search on the internet about guns in Northern Ireland, it says that nobody is allowed to have a handgun except for the police and half a dozen high-profile politicians (for their self-defense).

But then you go to a gun club in N. Ireland and you find out that anyone who's been in the club for about a year can apply for a firearms certificate, and if it's approved then they can take guns home (but they need to have a safe in their car and also in their house).

For the time being, I can get my club to order in a Ruger GP100 .22LR for me, and it will stay in the safe at the gun club and I won't be allowed to bring it home til I get a firearms certificate. Until I get a certificate, I can practise with it at the range, but I can't bring it home til I get the cert.
    As far as guns go I think .22LR is weak. If zombie apocalypse comes it is kinda useless as it has no power, the bullets wont go through thicker clothing and can have trouble penetrating the skull as far as i know . I would prefer something with more power, 9mm; 45 acp ; .357 magnum or something like that. I would love a little short barrel .357 magnum revolver, 9mm glock or one of those sexy 1911 pistols. But sadly i will probably never get a licence. Wont ever really need a gun tho probably so doesnt matter i guess
    Last edited by s1nc1ty; 07-02-2023 at 08:45 AM.
    XnavyHMCS likes this.

As far as guns go I think .22LR is weak. If zombie apocalypse comes it is kinda useless as it has no power, the bullets wont go through thicker clothing and can have trouble penetrating the skull as far as i know . I would prefer something with more power, 9mm; 45 acp ; .357 magnum or something like that. I would love a little short barrel .357 magnum revolver, 9mm glock or one of those sexy 1911 pistols. But sadly i will probably never get a licence. Wont ever really need a gun tho probably so doesnt matter i guess
    When I get a 22 at the range, I'll try shoot through a towel folded over 6 times. I bet it penetrates.

Even an air rifle can penetrate thick fabric.

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member

I have a suggestion for you in revolvers.

Name:	H1193-L100633032.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	44.6 KB 
ID:	182594
    Honkey_Kong, Cuz and Cylon357 like this.

XnavyHMCS is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lovbyts View Post
    i have a suggestion for you in revolvers.

Name:	H1193-L100633032.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	44.6 KB 
ID:	182594
    lmfao...!!!
    s1nc1ty likes this.

I thought the Ruger GP100 .22LR was only single-action. I still thought it was a really cool gun but really I wanted semi-auto. I still would have chosen it thought if it was only single action.

But today I discovered that it's actually double-action. The video I had been watching of the guy pulling the hammer back each time was just so that it was an easier trigger pull for high-accuracy shooting. If you don't pull the hammer back, then the next trigger pull will pull it back for you.

So now that I know the Ruger GP100 .22LR is double-action, I'm definitely getting it. This is a no brainer.

You only have need to carry a gun concealed in america tho where any nutjob can get a gun and there is actually a real chance to get into a firefight. In eu only cops and hunters have gun licence mainly. And some few very well behaved people usually. I personally have known very few people with a real permit

Like i saw on the net recently guy in the us went for a burger but got wings instead. Not chicken wings but angel wings since he got shot dead in the burger joint lol

As far as uk goes i know they have super strict knife laws, you cant carry a knife in the uk if it is a fixed blade or a folding knife if it has a lock to fix the blade. They make special UK legal folding knives without locking system, wich are useless basicallly for anything exept cutting paper. And even cops dont carry guns there so i imagine gun laws are very very strict there also
    If that's true, then where did all the rioters in France get their automatic weapons? See? Gun control doesn't work.
    Cuz and lovbyts like this.

Cuz
    Cuz is online now VET

That doesnt look like a .22lr casing. Looks like a 9mm casing to me. And besides, I can hold a picture up it doesn’t mean anything
    almostgone likes this.

"If zombie apocalypse comes" you would want a short barrel 357? Why on earth would you want to handicap the bullet by not giving it enough barrel to burn all the propellent in? That just doesn't make sense.
    Cuz and Cylon357 like this.

Cuz
    Cuz is online now VET
    If that's true, then where did all the rioters in France get their automatic weapons? See? Gun control doesn't work.
    Gun control only works for the law abiding citizens. Anyone with sense knows that. Now the other side, well they don’t so its hard for them to comprehend simple things like that
    Honkey_Kong likes this.

That doesnt look like a .22lr casing. Looks like a 9mm casing to me. And besides, I can hold a picture up it doesn’t mean anything
    If he wanted to impress us he should've shown a target with tighter groupings. That just looks like he shot with his eyes closed.
    Cylon357 likes this.

"If zombie apocalypse comes" you would want a short barrel 357? Why on earth would you want to handicap the bullet by not giving it enough barrel to burn all the propellent in? That just doesn't make sense.
    Its easy to carry and conceal since its small. Its very reliable and packs a punch. If one of those fuckers gets close you can pull it out and blow its head off.

Cuz
    Cuz is online now VET
    If he wanted to impress us he should've shown a target with tighter groupings. That just looks like he shot with his eyes closed.
    Yeah its bullshit. Did you catch the “made in USA” lmao good ole kimbo buying American made products
    Honkey_Kong likes this.

Its easy to carry and conceal since its small. Its very reliable and packs a punch. If one of those fuckers gets close you can pull it out and blow its head off.
    Why would you need to conceal in that sort of make-believe situation?

Yeah its bullshit. Did you catch the “made in USA” lmao good ole kimbo buying American made products
    He's gone a long way with his idiotic trolls. Going from the retarded naked handstands on the beach to this.

Cuz
    Cuz is online now VET
    He's gone a long way with his idiotic trolls. Going from the retarded naked handstands on the beach to this.
    Right, the whole board is aware of his foolishness he even knows it himself bc he replies to himself all the time with his sock accounts. Shows over. Nothing to see
    Honkey_Kong likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information