Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: CC class. What should I look for???

GirlyGymRat is offline Knowledgeable Elite ~ Respected Female Leader ~

CC class. What should I look for???

Have a core group of gf and several interested in CC. Most don’t own, never shot... I’m organizing this and we aren’t interested in online class, easy 1 day certification. We want to practice, learn how to use, get hands on instruction, recommendation on cc devices.

Are we expecting too much?

Capebuffalo is offline - MONITOR -
    First should be a basic into to firearms.
    The Introduction to Handgun Safety and Marksmanship is a training course is designed for the individual with very limited or no experience shooting handguns who is interested in learning how to safely and accurately use a handgun for recreational target shooting and/or personal safety protection. Time will be spent in the classroom and on a state-of-the-art firing range for practical exercise. This course will also prepare the shooter who is interested in using a handgun for defense to take the Concealed Carry course. The focus of this course is range and home safety, developing an understanding of the fundamentals of marksmanship, and learning how to use dry fire practice to increase shooting ability. Students will have the opportunity to fire up to 50 rounds of ammunition with an instructor’s assistance.
    Instructional topics include:
    • The four basic rules of firearms safety
    • The importance of proper dry-fire practice
    • The seven fundamentals of marksmanship
    • Grip
    • Stance
    • Sight picture
    • Sight alignment
    • Trigger control
    • Follow-through
    • Breathing

Then after becoming familiar and comfortable and safely handling fire arms the next level class
    Concealed Carry / Defensive Handgun training is designed for the Intermediate shooter who
    can safely load, shoot, and manipulate his/her personal semi-automatic handgun (No revolvers) and desires to improve the likelihood of prevailing in a deadly force encounter.
    Instructional topics include:
    • The four basic rules of firearms safety
    • Refresher on the 7 Fundamentals of Accurate Shooting
    • Methods of concealing a handgun
    • Drawing the handgun
    • Movement on handgun presentation
    • One hand drills (right and left)
    • The standard defensive response
    • Failure to stop drills
    • Life-saving rituals
    To receive the maximum benefits from the class, we require each student to provide the following:
    • His/her personal mid-sized semi-automatic handgun
    • At least THREE magazines capable of holding AT LEAST 6 bullets each
    • Appropriate belt mounted magazine pouches
    • A good quality strong side holster
    • 200 rounds of ammunition, at minimum

I would have a lot of range time before carrying. The ladies who have never shot before should take their time and not rush into it.

A lot of places now have women instructors. Many ladies prefer a woman over a man in my experience. But to each their own.

Good job GG for doing this for your friends.

Thanks Cape! This is exactly the approach my gf discussed!!!! Perfect.

I’ll buy and then practice with my own piece as opposed to using range equipment! At least that’s my going in plan!
    almostgone and Capebuffalo like this.

Remington is offline Alligator
    Cape---that's a really good post. All new---and even older-- gun owners should read it over and over.
    GirlyGymRat and Capebuffalo like this.

almostgone is online now AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    Can't really add anything to Cape's post other than safety glasses and ear plugs, but he may have mentioned that.

Every range I know at least requires eye protection and a safety briefing if you join a range to get in some time before you go for your CWP.

You may eventually find that you end up spending more time dry firing than at the range...but absolutely a good thing you're doing GGR.
    GirlyGymRat and Capebuffalo like this.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

diesel101 is offline Anabolic Member
    I think guns are evil, that's why I'm moving to Chicago were it's safe because of the strict gun laws

Quote Originally Posted by almostgone View Post
    Can't really add anything to Cape's post other than safety glasses and ear plugs, but he may have mentioned that.

Every range I know at least requires eye protection and a safety briefing if you join a range to get in some time before you go for your CWP.

You may eventually find that you end up spending more time dry firing than at the range...but absolutely a good thing you're doing GGR.

Rather than going out....we’ll go practice. Lol
    Capebuffalo and almostgone like this.

BG
    BG is offline The Real Deal - AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    The range should offer one on one classes with an instructor, mine does. They also have a virtual reality room, pretty cool.
    almostgone likes this.

Disclaimer-BG is presenting fictitious opinions and does in no way encourage nor condone the use of any illegal substances.
    The information discussed is strictly for entertainment purposes only.

Everything was impossible until somebody did it!

I've got 99 problems......but my squat/dead ain't one !!

It doesnt matter how good looking she is, some where, some one is tired of her shit.

Light travels faster then sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Great place to start researching ! http://forums.steroid.com/anabolic-s...-database.html

Quote Originally Posted by BG View Post
    The range should offer one on one classes with an instructor, mine does. They also have a virtual reality room, pretty cool.
    Ours isn’t vr but a big screen that detects shot placement. It is some intense shit. Guy with an AK beat my shot by .002 seconds. I was dead. Many different scenarios where you don’t know the threat until the last second. I love it.
    Obs and BG like this.

Quote Originally Posted by GirlyGymRat View Post

There was a time I was shooting 1000 rds a week. Going out would have been cheaper. Lol

I’ll buy and then practice with my own piece as opposed to using range equipment! At least that’s my going in plan!
    Rent before you buy. Try different makes and models and Cals. Make sure it fits your hand. Recoil is a big factor. You don’t want to be scared to shoot it at the range.
    GirlyGymRat, Cylon357 and BG like this.

Couchlockd is offline Senior Member

For a new woman shooter In my professional gun shooting opinion, you should not be shooting anything smaller than a light frame snub nose 454 casul. Or 44mag. Revolvers for reliability.

Or a 460 Rowland Glock.

One hand weak arm

Once you master this, everything else is cool
    Last edited by Couchlockd; 06-09-2019 at 06:16 PM.
    Obs and GirlyGymRat like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Couchlockd View Post
    For a new woman shooter In my professional gun shooting opinion, you should not be shooting anything smaller than a light frame snub nose 454 casul. Or 44mag. Revolvers for reliability.

Or a 460 Rowland Glock.

One hand weak arm

Sound advise there.
    Couchlockd and GirlyGymRat like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Couchlockd View Post

Or a 460 Rowland Glock.

One hand weak arm

Don’t know what this all means and appreciate your input! I’ve got some research to do. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Capebuffalo View Post
    Rent before you buy. Try different makes and models and Cals. Make sure it fits your hand. Recoil is a big factor. You don’t want to be scared to shoot it at the range.
    Ok. I didn’t think about recoil. Shot mussel loader once and put me on my a$$ which scared the crap out of me. I didn’t think it funny but my dad ROTFLHAF. Funny guy!
    BG likes this.

There was a time I was shooting 1000 rds a week. Going out would have been cheaper. Lol
    Yeah. I heard it’s pricey. I also heard it’s addictive!!!!

Obs
    Obs is offline Changed Man
    Its just like shooting pool.
    You are better after a bunch of beer. Once you cross a certain theshold though you suddenly cant hit the table using the cue like a club.

Triple bank, off the 10, 13, corner pocket... Straight to taking Dave to the hospital with a gunshot wound.

Know the warning signs.
    You will start to overthink your shot and come up with some bullshit angle only you and the God of chaos could dream up from the depths of dimension X. Once you scratch thats all she wrote.

Just like shooting, you miss the target after stacking ten bullets in the bullseye and finishing your 15th beer.
    This is when the shooter must resign to drinking beer only instead of beer and shooting.

My pool buddies wont even go target practice with me anymore. Not that John has a choice... RIP

Don’t know what this all means and appreciate your input! I’ve got some research to do. Thank you!
    He’s being funny. Those are cannons.

Giggitty!!!!

Sorry, mental image of females in high heels,squeezing off a few rounds.
    BG likes this.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

Yes being funny.

Those guns are a chore for even the most experience shooters one handed.

A nice choice is a Beretta cheetah 380. Or a CZ compact 9mm.

Nice meaty pistols, thin grips, and weighty enough to soak up recoil.

You'd fall in love with a cz75 compact or PCR
    almostgone likes this.

^^^^^ Like Couch suggested, the CZ or while you are out getting a feel for what you want, spend a few minutes looking at a SIG 365 micro compact:

https://www.sigsauer.com/store/p365-...o-compact.html

The daughter of a friend of mine spent some time at a local gun shop with an indoor range and the Sig Micro compact fit her hand, budget, and inside her purse very well. She fell in love with it after shooting it.

Edit: FWIW, Mrs. AG is more comfortable with a revolver, so she carries a S&W model 12-2 or a Ruger SP-101, both with bobbed hammers.

No matter what you buy, try to visit a gun shop that has a range on sight and will let you shoot different models. You'll know when you find the one that is right for you!
    Last edited by almostgone; 06-10-2019 at 10:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cylon357 View Post
    I've taken a couple of CC courses in different states. Cape does a good job of explaining what to look for. I will just offer a few first hand observations that might be interesting(?)

First, the people that will surprise you with how good they are are women who have never used a firearm before. They tend to not have preconceived notions about anything that will hinder their progress. I saw one middle aged woman who managed to have the second best grouping in our glass that day (second only to the guy from The Citadel that brought his own pistol).

Second, you probably want to spend about half the time in lecture, half in lab (that is, on the range). Maybe more time in lecture than on the range for a first timers class.

Third, most of the classes I have seen have provided pistols for the students to use. You can bring your own, but if both the firearm and ammo are provided, then that is two less things to worry about.

Are you in the US? Which state? Unless that is too personal, please forgive if so. I've done classes in Tennessee and Florida.

Appreciate thoughtful response!

US. There’s indoor shooting facility and outdoor ranges nearby. Need to research available classes and find out if have access to women sized equipment and course types providing suggestions made by everyone...except CouchL and OBS.

Glock 42
    Cylon357 likes this.

Charlie67 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    , we require each student to provide the following:
    • His/her personal mid-sized semi-automatic handgun
    You kids and your fancy weapons.... What's wrong with a solid, reliable, mechanically simple wheel gun??

Not to mention, they don't pull my pants down like the double stack Ruger I carry when I'm wearing my heavy duty pants.
    Cylon357 likes this.

Would not surprise me one bit if the range provided guns are Glock. I've used the 19 twice (bought one of my own because I "liked" it). It's a good size for recoil control, especially with range ammo.

PS - I don't think anyone LOVES Glock. I have 4 and the best I can say is that I like them. Their reputation for durability, reliability, etc keeps them in my safe. And by my nightstand for that matter.
    Well I am one who loves Glocks. I own and shoot many. My edc is a 19. Now I have put Lone Wolf Barrels and Zev triggers on. And I switched the 19 slide with a 19c slide to reduce weight and for better balance. And straight 8 sights on. Not having to think is the safety on or off is big for me. And the reset on the Zev triggers is incredible and adjustable.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie67 View Post
    You kids and your fancy weapons.... What's wrong with a solid, reliable, mechanically simple wheel gun??

Not to mention, they don't pull my pants down like the double stack Ruger I carry when I'm wearing my heavy duty pants.

Six shooter huh? A lot of old timers carry those.

Charlie67 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Not all of us can be the Lethal Weapon you are Cape.
    Capebuffalo likes this.

GearHeaded is offline BANNED
    I hired a personal tactical firearms instructor.. he came to my house and we trained everything dry fire and concealment and carry to start. after a couple weeks of 'practice' we then trained on a private range of his live fire, reloads, etc..
    he was very affordable and it was all hands on in private one on one training (I had a couple friends join in as well, so your idea of small group training is a good one).

this was maybe 10+ years ago..
    my wife wanted to get her CCW as well . she went to a local gun range and paid for the class and the live fire drills. her training was way way sub par compared to what I paid for by hiring a private instructor and splitting cost among friends.

your life or someone elses life may depend on how well your trained. so don't skimp or neglect just to get a CCW card . that card means nothing when it comes to real life and having to use what it stands for.

practice, practice, practice
    Capebuffalo likes this.

Not all of us can be the Lethal Weapon you are Cape.
    True

He caught it before me Riggs

diesel101 is offline Anabolic Member

My wife carries a hammerless revolver, simple and easy just pull the trigger.
    almostgone likes this.

Obs
    Obs is offline Changed Man
    I would rather have a colt Saa than anything.
    First shot is what matters and you wont find a quicker first shot from my messed up hands. Watch at 2:50

Would love to see bob munden walk up against a gang with glocks.

I hear you! I have more Lone Wolf Barrels and other after market components than I do factory parts. I haven't found anything to make that trigger quite right though. How is yours with the Zev?
    The trick is not in the trigger it's in the angle of were the pins hinge the trigger and connector (icing on the cake will not do anything noticable on stock everything else)

Here's how I got 2lb trigger with ⅛" travel

Ghost 3.5lb connector
    4lb firing pin spring (stock is 5 or 6 lb can't recall)
    6lb trigger bar spring (stock is 4lb)

So now we have a trigger that wants to "pull itself" from here we go to....

Titanium striker and titanium auto firing pin block safety, round the afb to a dome (used diamond wheels from dremmer clamped in vise and chucked afb into drill and just worked it till it was done shaped with no edges)

Now replace the afb block spring with reduced power spring.

Polish polish polish all interacting surfaces, striker tab to trigger bar, trigger bar to connector, the little thing on the trigger bar that actuates the afb.

Then I moved original pin from trigger pad and played with it a bit (ruined about 3 stock triggers,)

This setup was actually too too "slippery"almost as soon as trigger safety disengage it was pulling itself to staging that striker.

So I went with a lightning strike aluminum trigger with over and pretravel. 2.25 lb according to my Lyman digital

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF7239.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	116.4 KB 
ID:	176809

Name:	DSCF7389.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	114.1 KB 
ID:	176810

Name:	DSCF7388.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	125.5 KB 
ID:	176811

Now see that mag? That's 45 rounds of 10mm it's a g21 45 Chinese military mag with a kris's super v 15 round extension and a cut to length spring from old machine gun parts . Com

I was the first to do this on the Glock forums in 2010.

Then some guy tntoutdoors (10mm guy on YouTube) asked what I did, and he did it too

Then little by little lots of 45 rounds 10mm and 45 acp mags we're being posted.

Lol
    Last edited by Couchlockd; 06-10-2019 at 08:56 PM.
    Capebuffalo and Cylon357 like this.

BG
    BG is offline The Real Deal - AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    That’s close! It is fun.
    Ours isn’t vr but a big screen that detects shot placement. It is some intense shit. Guy with an AK beat my shot by .002 seconds. I was dead. Many different scenarios where you don’t know the threat until the last second. I love it.
    Capebuffalo likes this.

Disclaimer-BG is presenting fictitious opinions and does in no way encourage nor condone the use of any illegal substances.
    The information discussed is strictly for entertainment purposes only.

Everything was impossible until somebody did it!

I've got 99 problems......but my squat/dead ain't one !!

It doesnt matter how good looking she is, some where, some one is tired of her shit.

Light travels faster then sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Great place to start researching ! http://forums.steroid.com/anabolic-s...-database.html

if any day wished had cc...

pulled into parking lot at night. 5 parked vehicles...took a quick drive buy to check...1, 2, 3 ok but car 4 and truck 5 parked Oddly close and truck interior lights on...

For 40 min, while distracted by car issue - figuring out how to solve, its dark, it’s cold, it’s remote and I’m getting increasing hangry, nervous, and edgy bc can’t figure out how to move vehicle....

I felt so vulnerable.

Considered calling police, Roadside assistance, phone a friend....till figured out a work around and moved quickly to get the he!! out of there.

this could have ended differently...

SampsonandDelilah is offline Knowledgeable Member
    if any day wished had cc...

pulled into parking lot at night. 5 parked vehicles...took a quick drive buy to check...1, 2, 3 ok but car 4 and truck 5 parked Oddly close and truck interior lights on...

For 40 min, while distracted by car issue - figuring out how to solve, its dark, it’s cold, it’s remote and I’m getting increasing hangry, nervous, and edgy bc can’t figure out how to move vehicle....

I felt so vulnerable.

Considered calling police, Roadside assistance, phone a friend....till figured out a work around and moved quickly to get the he!! out of there.

this could have ended differently...

Glad you’re ok, awful feeling that vulnerability. Amazing how empowering it can be to know you have the hardware to help. I don’t think any of those ideas are bad ones...can’t imagine a dispatcher or tow company or friend taking issue with that. I’m behind on this thread, did you take the class and apply for the license? Any idea what pistol you want to carry?

I have no doubts a hangry GGR is capable of some of some pretty incredible feats of strength and toughness though if the situation did go differently.

Again, really glad you’re ok and you kept your senses and had that awareness of your surroundings and your mental state.
    GirlyGymRat likes this.

C27H40O3 is offline Admin Sent Me Away.
    nobody mentioned including a section on the law of justification.

generally, most young folks ignorant of guns dont have an idea regarding when you can/can't legally shoot in situations.

Quote Originally Posted by SampsonandDelilah View Post
    Glad you’re ok, awful feeling that vulnerability. Amazing how empowering it can be to know you have the hardware to help. I don’t think any of those ideas are bad ones...can’t imagine a dispatcher or tow company or friend taking issue with that. I’m behind on this thread, did you take the class and apply for the license? Any idea what pistol you want to carry?

I have no doubts a hangry GGR is capable of some of some pretty incredible feats of strength and toughness though if the situation did go differently.

Again, really glad you’re ok and you kept your senses and had that awareness of your surroundings and your mental state.
    Didn’t take class yet. I volunteered to find course for my gfs who showed interest. I did research and found 2 options, researched gun holder, guns not so much and then life got busy for me.

That feeling of vulnerability got my attention.

Took ground defense class and didn’t keep up with practice and learned some tips.

Be aware of your surroundings.
    Knowledge is power.
    Trust your instincts.
    Get away.
    Live.
    SampsonandDelilah likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by C27H40O3 View Post
    nobody mentioned including a section on the law of justification.

generally, most young folks ignorant of guns dont have an idea regarding when you can/can't legally shoot in situations.
    Some “all inclusive” classes touch on this. It’s really my responsibility to know my rights.

SampsonandDelilah is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Didn’t take class yet. I volunteered to find course for my gfs who showed interest. I did research and found 2 options, researched gun holder, guns not so much and then life got busy for me.

That feeling of vulnerability got my attention.

Took ground defense class and didn’t keep up with practice and learned some tips.

Be aware of your surroundings.
    Knowledge is power.
    Trust your instincts.
    Get away.
    Live.

Those are 5 amazing principles to live by, can’t go wrong living by that code.

Life is busy and summer is coming which means longer days, can always revisit it later. The classes are definitely empowering and they also teach the local laws as well which obviously help. At the end of the day, the 5 things you listed trump any gun class in my book. Awareness, instinct and knowledge will never let you down. Even a keychain, can of mace or sheer determination can be amazing weapons. The handgun is always the last resort, it can even lead to a false sense of empowerment if it dulls those other 5 senses..

If anything, sounds like it was a good wake up call and reminder to be attentive and vigilant

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information