• 1 Post By RaginCajun
  • 3 Post By cousinmuscles
  • 1 Post By diesel101
  • 1 Post By charger69
  • 1 Post By charger69

Thread: Other sports

PeanutbutterDC is offline Female Member

Other sports

Other than bodybuilding, power lifting, weight training sports, what other athletic activities do you/did you enjoy, whether it was as a kid, in high school, college, or just recreationally at any time in your life?

tarmyg is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    Trekking, not a sport I guess but I like doing it solo and listen to the "silence" out there. Nothing quite like it. I competed in Karate quite a bit when I was younger, stopped around age 24 I guess. Was very enjoyable.
    PeanutbutterDC likes this.

hollowedzeus is offline Productive Member
    I was privelleged enough to have my parents spend money on me to attend lots of activities when I was younger.

I'm a black belt in taekwando, spent time also doing judo and boxing.

I played in a basketball club for a bit too.

Loved fighting. Wish i still did it. But it's too high of a injury risk imo. I don't want to have any reason not to be the size of marcus

cousinmuscles is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Boxing, kickboxing/muay Thai, submission wrestling. Did Muay Thai now and then from age 15-18, then BJJ/SW from 19-22, Muay Thai again 21-23. Had lots of cousins and older brother who did boxing and Muay Thai too so all I did was train martial arts and lift weights to get bigger than them and beat them up. Some of the most enjoyable memories though many hard lessons were had to be learned in the way but by 17 I had them all :P

Problem with martial arts was I wore out my knees too quickly and had a tendency to find better opposition and get injured. At my Muay Thai club we organized sparring sessions with other boxing and Muay Thai clubs, all fine until one day I popped my knee, nothing docs could do just couldn't even walk normally for a couple years and took over a year to get it 100%. Combined with a serious depression during that off time life came to all time lows and it wasn't until I was 25-26 I managed to get back to training 100%, life happens too but now I value my health a lot more. No more 10 hard training sessions per week, no more 10km runs on asphalt, no sparring until bruises and concussions. That's momentary fun for future pain and misery.

If I had time I'd do Muay Thai and some grappling. I love fighting but now there's no time esp considering classes are mid day.

charger69 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    TaeKwon Do, Karate and running later in life. Football and basketball in high school.

Cuz has it right. Despite knee injuries, I was able to get my black belt. As I got later in life (and fatter) the pain in the knees got too bad to continue ( despite other injuries).
    Really, once I lost all of the weight, my knees have not bothered me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

guitarzan is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Football in high school, that's bout it.

Beetlegeuse is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Before I came to grips with the fact that I had no talent for it, I rode motocross and enduro. Then I broke a leg so badly it took nearly two years in healing and rehab. Before the leg had healed enough to run on I wanted to do something low-impact for cardio so I took up road cycling. And I turned into a bicycling junkie.

To look at professional bicyclists you'd think it's the furthest sport in the world from bodybuilding or weightlifting, but there are a lot of striking similarities in terms of what is required to support that effort.

#1, If you're really devoted to it, it stops being just a hobby and becomes a part-time job. Even for an amateur, twenty hours a week saddle-time is not abnormal. During my best years as an amateur roadracer, I bicycled further in a year than I drove my car. The addicted spend as much time per week doing repair and maintenance on their bike and riding gear than most people who call themselves amateur 'athletes' put into their sport.

#2, Everything you do when you're not training, every morsel of food you put in your mouth, every activity you engage in, all is devoted to the next training session.

Even if a rider is in top-notch cycling fitness, he still can't work his leg muscles any harder than his heart will let him. So the objective is to do absolutely nothing when you aren't training and save up your cardio endurance for the bike. Never stand if you can sit, never sit if you can lie down. Sometimes races are won by the guy who slept the best.

#2.b, Sometimes eating 10,000 calories a day to support your work-outs, and not putting on an ounce of fat from it.

#3, With both elite cyclists and elite bodybuilders, people who don't understand what it's about will look at you and wonder "Why would anybody want to look like that?" On the other hand, when you see yourself in a mirror, a wry smile crosses your face and you think to yourself, "Fuckin' A!"

#4, In the end it's largely about the pain. Tolerating it, even accepting it as your normal state. The guys who suffer least during competition are the ones who suffered the most when they were training.

In the end, that's what I enjoy most about cycling. Enduring the pain. Knowing your body is screaming for relief but your brain just isn't listening. Because that is discipline. Those same Pillsbury doughboys who mocked you for your extreme physique either would stroke out or drop dead from a heart attack if they ever once managed to push their CV system as hard as you are pushing yours at that moment. You, on the other hand, just grin and push all the harder. Makes me feel superhuman.
    hollowedzeus likes this.

Capebuffalo is offline - MONITOR -
    I just did my first Ninja Competition today. American Ninja Warrior obsticals. Tyler Gillette ran there today. He’s on the show and going to the finals in Las Vegas. I had one main run then two wild card runs. It beat me down. I had a hard time opening the car door when we got home. My son runs tomorrow morning. Of course I was the oldest guy out there today. Lol
    RaginCajun likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Capebuffalo View Post
    I just did my first Ninja Competition today. American Ninja Warrior obsticals. Tyler Gillette ran there today. He’s on the show and going to the finals in Las Vegas. I had one main run then two wild card runs. It beat me down. I had a hard time opening the car door when we got home. My son runs tomorrow morning. Of course I was the oldest guy out there today. Lol
    That sounds fun!
    Capebuffalo likes this.

Lotta guys into martial arts. Didn't realize it was so popular

kronik420 is offline Anabolic Member
    Figure skating..

Currently skating 3 days/week, lifting 3 days/week, hard to choose between body building and skating so i think imma just do both... world's biggest figure skater? lol

Quote Originally Posted by kronik420 View Post
    Figure skating..

Currently skating 3 days/week, lifting 3 days/week, hard to choose between body building and skating so i think imma just do both... world's biggest figure skater? lol
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20180811-225737_Chrome.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	543.3 KB 
ID:	173897Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20180811-225402_Gallery.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	377.7 KB 
ID:	173898Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20180811-224057_Facebook.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	431.2 KB 
ID:	173900Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20180811-224032_Facebook.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	244.6 KB 
ID:	173899
    RaginCajun likes this.

Go suck a goat

guitarzan is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutbutterDC View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20180811-225737_Chrome.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	543.3 KB 
ID:	173897Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20180811-225402_Gallery.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	377.7 KB 
ID:	173898Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20180811-224057_Facebook.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	431.2 KB 
ID:	173900Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20180811-224032_Facebook.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	244.6 KB 
ID:	173899
    Lol...

Go suck a goat
    I'm a skater. 100% respect for figure skaters. Some of the toughest hockey players I ever knew came from figure skating. Those are my CCMs and Bonts, and the Bro, do you even skate? Is my t-shirt. Sorry if I came across as making fun!

My other sports: hockey and roller derby. Not currently on any teams but I skate for cardio 3-6×/week
    Ran a couple half marathons. Rode my bike from San Francisco to San Diego.
    I wish rugby was a thing when/where I was a kid. Saw women's rugby a few weeks back and thought it looked like a blast

I'm a skater. 100% respect for figure skaters. Some of the toughest hockey players I ever knew came from figure skating. Those are my CCMs and Bonts, and the Bro, do you even skate? Is my t-shirt. Sorry if I came across as making fun!
    ah ok, never mind then. ice figure skating btw.. thinking of going more towards ice dancing tho since i don't like jumping..

ah ok, never mind then. ice figure skating btw.. thinking of going more towards ice dancing tho since i don't like jumping..
    What! Why don't you like jumps? Seems like that would be great fun

What! Why don't you like jumps? Seems like that would be great fun
    I like having at least one blade touching the ice at all times. Being a projectile just isn't my thing.. although my coach is trying really hard to make me jump. It's not working out for her..
    hollowedzeus likes this.

10nispro is offline Productive Member
    Started throwing a baseball at age 4, because my dad played fast pitch softball for the air Force and travelled the world playing. Tore his rotator cuff while trying out for the New York Mets. I quit when I went to college. Burned out.

Got into triathlons, in my early to mid 20's. Bally's health club sponsored me for a year.

Started playing tennis at 28yrs old. Played at a high level and taught for 20yrs. I met My best friend, from Sydney, when, I was 27. He was the Australian open juniors champ at 17. He played on tour with Connors, McEnroe, lendl, Borg before I met him. He got me into playing. I've met alot of incredible ppl.
    RaginCajun likes this.

diesel101 is offline Anabolic Member
    I hike mountains and prairies hunting some of the most fierce animals known to mankind.

Ok they are not fierce and its not a "sport" but its my thing I do.

Quote Originally Posted by diesel101 View Post
    I hike mountains and prairies hunting some of the most fierce animals known to mankind.

Ok they are not fierce and its not a "sport" but its my thing I do.
    Bull shit it’s not a sport. Anybody can throw or hit a ball. Few can out think another animal. What opponent is going to smell you 100 yards away or see you coming a mile away? Barametric pressure, weather patterns, food and water source locations, bedding areas, escape routes? Packing out a couple hundred pounds of meat. Come on hunting is the best and hardest sport out there.
    diesel101 and -Ender- like this.

Bull shit it’s not a sport. Anybody can throw or hit a ball. Few can out think another animal. What opponent is going to smell you 100 yards away or see you coming a mile away? Barametric pressure, weather patterns, food and water source locations, bedding areas, escape routes? Packing out a couple hundred pounds of meat. Come on hunting is the best and hardest sport out there.
    It's only a sport if the person you're competing against consents and doesn't die a premature death if they lose

Quote Originally Posted by hollowedzeus View Post
    It's only a sport if the person you're competing against consents and doesn't die a premature death if they lose
    Bull shit.
    hollowedzeus likes this.

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    I enjoy anything really. Bowling, golfing, mountain bike riding, road bike riding, baseball, football, hunting , fishing, and whatever else I can do outdoors.

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    Blasphemy!
    Capebuffalo likes this.

cousinmuscles is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Not the vegan talk now again....

Cape is right it is a sport just the stakes are a lot higher.

We were in BC hunting bear this spring and tracking a 380 lb bear through the woods is more of a adrenaline rush than I have ever had playing football.
    Last edited by diesel101; 08-13-2018 at 12:18 PM.

This is very true now that I think about it. Those of you that have done it know as well as I do that hiking at 10,000 ft elevation in knee deep snow with a pack on and then packing out an elk is a lot more work than running around after a rubber ball.
    Capebuffalo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by diesel101 View Post
    Cape is right it is a sport just the stakes are a lot higher.

We were in BC hunting bear this spring and tracking a 380 lb bear through the woods is more of a adrenaline rush than I have ever had playing football.
    Make it a sport by going at it with the weapons nature gave you. No guns. Man vs bear. That's more sport like.

Not shooting the poor fucker.

I'm not going into this and fighting with the whole forum except Marcus again. Agree to disagree and not clutter the thread

Couchlockd is offline Senior Member
    Golf
    Wrastlin' (WWE backyard beat you with a t12 florescent tubes style)

You should know better. LOL

My other sports: hockey and roller derby. Not currently on any teams but I skate for cardio 3-6×/week
    Ran a couple half marathons. Rode my bike from San Francisco to San Diego.
    I wish rugby was a thing when/where I was a kid. Saw women's rugby a few weeks back and thought it looked like a blast
    Ride your bike down and come and see me. LOL

Let’s hunt Capebuffalo. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by charger69 View Post
    Let’s hunt Capebuffalo. LOL

Im down.

Thread Information