Page 11 of 34 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151621 ... LastLast
Like Tree1028Likes

Thread: Guns and Ammo Thread

Beetlegeuse is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Virus-Panicked Liberal Gun Buyers Are Getting Angry When They Discover Their Own Gun Control Laws

...I was chatting with a friend of mine recently and the topic of gun sales came up. My friend’s father owns a gun range near me and she said he’s seen a huge amount of liberals coming in to purchase weapons in recent weeks.

How does he know they’re liberals?

“They’re shocked to discover they can’t just walk out of the store with a gun.”...

...We tried to look at just who the new firearm purchasers were and we believe that more than 60% of these individuals were first time buyers. I can’t describe the amount of fear in my staff as we had the buyers show proof of safe handling as part of the purchase process as required by law. You have never seen so many barrels pointed at sales staff and other customers. It was truly frightening. We had to keep stopping the process to give quick safety lessons. We are adding many more basic classes in the coming weeks and encouraged these buyers to please attend. We hope they do....

... More than a dozen of these buyers (men and women) actually thought that since they filled out and signed everything, they could just walk out and go home with the firearm. Several actually said they saw how easy it was to buy a gun on TV and why did they have to fill out all these forms.

The majority of these first timers lost their minds when we went through the Ammo Law requirements. Most used language not normally heard, even in a gun range. We pointed out that since no one working here voted for these laws, then maybe they might know someone who did. And, maybe they should go back and talk to those people and tell them to re-think their position on firearms – we were trying to be nice.

Most were VERY vocal about why it takes 10 days minimum (sometimes longer if the DOJ is backed up) to take their property home with them. They ask why do I need to wait 10 days if I need the protection today or tomorrow? We pointed out again that no one working here voted in support of that law.

They really went crazy when we told them that for each firearm they had to do the same amount of paperwork and they could only purchase ONE handgun every 30 days. Again, we didn’t [vote] for that law.

We had people cuss at us and stomp out when we explained that secondary identification had to be part of the paperwork, as they felt insulted that what they had wasn’t good enough. We have a number of Yelp reviews calling us names and other things about how bad we are because of this whole new buyer rush....

...There are a lot of people like me out there right now — first-timers and Second Amendment haters who feel like a hypocrite for wanting a gun for protection. Like I did, now they are navigating our convoluted gun laws for themselves and discovering that it is just not possible to walk into a store, buy a gun and leave with it in your pocket.

As these revelations begin to spread among our liberal brethren in the state of California, will we see a shift in gun laws and support for anti-Second Amendment legislators? Only time will tell, but it will surely be an interesting question to ponder in the coming months and years.
    Proximal likes this.

Proximal is offline Banned
    Hey, welcome to life outside your bubble. Are you HONESTLY surprised by their reaction?!?

Beetle, these are folk that because of their standing think/know are they“good” and “know” so. Who is anyone to challenge that?

I mean no disrespect Beetle, I hope you know that.

C27H40O3 is offline Admin Sent Me Away.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beetlegeuse View Post
    Virus-Panicked Liberal Gun Buyers Are Getting Angry When They Discover Their Own Gun Control Laws

...I was chatting with a friend of mine recently and the topic of gun sales came up. My friend’s father owns a gun range near me and she said he’s seen a huge amount of liberals coming in to purchase weapons in recent weeks.

How does he know they’re liberals?

“They’re shocked to discover they can’t just walk out of the store with a gun.”...

...We tried to look at just who the new firearm purchasers were and we believe that more than 60% of these individuals were first time buyers. I can’t describe the amount of fear in my staff as we had the buyers show proof of safe handling as part of the purchase process as required by law. You have never seen so many barrels pointed at sales staff and other customers. It was truly frightening. We had to keep stopping the process to give quick safety lessons. We are adding many more basic classes in the coming weeks and encouraged these buyers to please attend. We hope they do....

... More than a dozen of these buyers (men and women) actually thought that since they filled out and signed everything, they could just walk out and go home with the firearm. Several actually said they saw how easy it was to buy a gun on TV and why did they have to fill out all these forms.

The majority of these first timers lost their minds when we went through the Ammo Law requirements. Most used language not normally heard, even in a gun range. We pointed out that since no one working here voted for these laws, then maybe they might know someone who did. And, maybe they should go back and talk to those people and tell them to re-think their position on firearms – we were trying to be nice.

Most were VERY vocal about why it takes 10 days minimum (sometimes longer if the DOJ is backed up) to take their property home with them. They ask why do I need to wait 10 days if I need the protection today or tomorrow? We pointed out again that no one working here voted in support of that law.

They really went crazy when we told them that for each firearm they had to do the same amount of paperwork and they could only purchase ONE handgun every 30 days. Again, we didn’t [vote] for that law.

We had people cuss at us and stomp out when we explained that secondary identification had to be part of the paperwork, as they felt insulted that what they had wasn’t good enough. We have a number of Yelp reviews calling us names and other things about how bad we are because of this whole new buyer rush....

...There are a lot of people like me out there right now — first-timers and Second Amendment haters who feel like a hypocrite for wanting a gun for protection. Like I did, now they are navigating our convoluted gun laws for themselves and discovering that it is just not possible to walk into a store, buy a gun and leave with it in your pocket.

As these revelations begin to spread among our liberal brethren in the state of California, will we see a shift in gun laws and support for anti-Second Amendment legislators? Only time will tell, but it will surely be an interesting question to ponder in the coming months and years.

They are confused because of the propaganda talking points of the left. They always claim "you can walk in off the street and walk right out with enough guns for an army." total nonsense, but thats the claim.

And if you are in a shooting, its a good idea to say you always shot to stop the threat, not to kill.

SampsonandDelilah is offline Knowledgeable Member
    6.5 Creedmoor. Thoughts? Anyone own one? Really like what I’ve been reading.
    Intended targets are paper, maybe some mid size game (hogs, deer) and maybe a zombie head at 800 yards...

Been deciding between that round, .308 or .300 win mag. Reviews are all over the place.

Looking specifically at the Ruger RPR platform.

Share away...

almostgone is offline AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    I looked over the ballistics when it first hit the online community and personally, I couldn't justify buying one, mainly due to the fact I'm all set with dies, primers, powder, brass, bullets, etc. for my .270 Winchester. If I hadn't been, then I would have definitely given the 6.5 more consideration.

Edit: Whatever you decide on, make sure you get some good glass for it. Good optics can often run you more than your rifle.

The model in the link below is discontinued, but I ran up on a good deal on one still N.I.B. If you're wanting a scope for daylight and twilight use ( feral hogs) I would go with at least a 42mm or 45mm objective. Otherwise, you get into IR/ thermal optics which opens up a whole different can of worms.

https://www.leupold.com/scopes/compa...vx-r-4-12x50mm
    Last edited by almostgone; 04-14-2020 at 12:32 PM.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

Many of the articles I read mentioned exactly that...

If you’re set up for a caliber such as a .270 and have your reloading equipment than it would be tough to justify. Those new to long range shooting (myself) it was an easier justification.

I have a 7MM and a 30.06 but are traditional bolt action rifles and aren’t much fun to shoot repeatedly. Also not sure I would say they’re necessarily set up to shoot out to 1000 yards or more. Although I know there’s plenty of marksman that can hit targets at 1000 with both calibers.

Haven’t seen many “competitive long range” shooters choose either of my calibers either

Quote Originally Posted by SampsonandDelilah View Post
    Many of the articles I read mentioned exactly that...

If you’re set up for a caliber such as a .270 and have your reloading equipment than it would be tough to justify. Those new to long range shooting (myself) it was an easier justification.

I have a 7MM and a 30.06 but are traditional bolt action rifles and aren’t much fun to shoot repeatedly. Also not sure I would say they’re necessarily set up to shoot out to 1000 yards or more. Although I know there’s plenty of marksman that can hit targets at 1000 with both calibers.

Haven’t seen many “competitive long range” shooters choose either of my calibers either
    If you're wanting a semi-auto, then you're down to 6.5 Creedmoor , .308 Win, or .300 Win mag out of the cartridges you've mentioned.. The 6.5 would definitely be more recoil friendly.
    SampsonandDelilah likes this.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

Of course, if you're like me, you'd think .300 Win mag and your mind would wander towards .338 Lapua mag, and before your know it you're paying Hazmat fees for powder. It gets expensive feeding those things.

So....in order to not break the bank, I would probably opt for 6.5 Creedmoor.
    Last edited by almostgone; 04-14-2020 at 01:12 PM.

GearHeaded is offline BANNED
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2550.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	582.4 KB 
ID:	178610
    my 300 RUM is pretty bad ass for long range ... does have quite a bit of 'reverberation' though. but thats expected from pushing a 200 grain bullet nearly 4000 fps

Quote Originally Posted by GearHeaded View Post

Name:	IMG_2550.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	582.4 KB 
ID:	178610
    my 300 RUM is pretty bad ass for long range ... does have quite a bit of 'reverberation' though. but thats expected from pushing a 200 grain bullet nearly 4000 fps
    It damn well ought to with a case capacity of just over 100 grains!

Edit: At max load on a mid-range weight bullet you'd average about 70 rounds per pound of powder.
    100 grains is a lot!
    Last edited by almostgone; 04-14-2020 at 01:45 PM.
    GearHeaded likes this.

Ordered the 6.5 creedmore! Found a screaming deal online for the Ruger RPR for just under a G.
    FFL transfer in progress. Should have it by Monday. Won’t be able to shoot it for 3 months until I’m healed but between that and getting my strength back, I’m feeling extra motivated!

Roger that on the glass AG,

Thank you for the link and the ideas!

Looking into the Leupold, Vortex and Nightforce.

5x25x50 (along those lines)

Thoughts?

Man, they don’t give the scopes away lol
    Chark and Ernst like this.

Ordered the 6.5 creedmore! Found a screaming deal online for the Ruger RPR for just under a G.
    FFL transfer in progress. Should have it by Monday. Won’t be able to shoot it for 3 months until I’m healed but between that and getting my strength back, I’m feeling extra motivated!

Roger that on the glass AG,

Thank you for the link and the ideas!

Looking into the Leupold, Vortex and Nightforce.

5x25x50 (along those lines)

Thoughts?

Man, they don’t give the scopes away lol
    If you're like me and will be using the scope @ day and twilight, your eyes will definitely appreciate the 50mm objective.

Unless you're really reaching out there, you may not want that much magnification, but that can be more of a personal preference. You'll definitely want a bipod or dang good rest with that magnification, especially if you're feeling a tad weak.

Guess what I'm saying is the more magnification you have the more you're going to notice your pulse, if you fart loud, etc. Hope that makes sense?

Now if this is strictly for nighttime hog eradication, then you may want to think more along the lines of a thermal setup and honestly I am not a good resource for that information. Heck, I'm trying to win the lottery so I can buy Gen 3+ NVD and walk our property at night without spooking all of the nature and/ or tweekers.

Edit: No sir, good glass is NOT cheap! It isn't uncommon to put more into your optics that the firearm costs.
    Last edited by almostgone; 04-15-2020 at 02:15 PM.

Shit, I've tried 3 times to get just bullets ( no ammo), dies, odd and end reloading stuff, etc. in a DOA mini- fridge. I still have 6 - 1lb. coffee jugs of brass in various stages of decapping, ultrasonic cleaning, etc.

What a mess.

The more I read the more I’m leaning towards the 50mm.
    Definitely putting on a Harris bipod yams your reasoning makes perfect sense. If I could hit a piece of steel at 1000 yards, I’d be more than pleased!!

Anything past 500 honestly.

I hit a cow elk with my 7MM at almost 500 and remember thinking I was the best shot in the world, lol. The thought of doubling that distance (even on paper) is mind blowing to think about
    almostgone likes this.

You make something idiot-proof ...

... and the world is sure to make a better idiot.

The more I read the more I’m leaning towards the 50mm.
    Definitely putting on a Harris bipod yams your reasoning makes perfect sense. If I could hit a piece of steel at 1000 yards, I’d be more than pleased!!

Anything past 500 honestly.

I hit a cow elk with my 7MM at almost 500 and remember thinking I was the best shot in the world, lol. The thought of doubling that distance (even on paper) is mind blowing to think about
    If you can hold over for 500m, you must have a pretty good read on the type reticle you were using. I would probably stick with a similar reticle unless you were using a rangefinder/ guestimating and cranking your elevation.

Guess what I'm saying is stick with the reticle you are comfortable with if possible. Keep in mind that's just my opinion!

You make something idiot-proof ...

... and the world is sure to make a better idiot.
    The stripper clip in the magazine? How.. why...ouch! What ever happened to taking a deep breath if things didn't fit and examining the situation.

Edit: They must have had on their "Just force it" T shirt.
    Last edited by almostgone; 04-15-2020 at 07:21 PM.

I turned a non functioning mini-fridge down in my shop into my storage cabinet for reloading odds and ends. No ammo, primer, or powders. Just bullets, dies, etc., nothing fancy but it held some of my stuff.

Also gave my lifting area a damn good cleaning.

Edit: The Speer 185gr Gold Dots are so old they have price sticker on them. Think it was like $14+ for 100 bullets (not munitions).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Guns and Ammo Thread-img_20200415_212902_01.jpg  
    Last edited by almostgone; 04-15-2020 at 07:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by almostgone View Post
    If you can hold over for 500m, you must have a pretty good read on the type reticle you were using. I would probably stick with a similar reticle unless you were using a rangefinder/ guestimating and cranking your elevation.

Guess what I'm saying is stick with the reticle you are comfortable with if possible. Keep in mind that's just my opinion!

Great advice. I do use a range finder but have the the reticle on my Burris pretty dialed in...I’ll stick with that style as I finally have a decent grasp on it.

Great Idea with the mini fridge by the way! I need to do more reloading, especially these days
    Ernst and almostgone like this.

Ernst is offline Borderline Personality
    Get the 'Long Range Shooting Handbook' by Ryan Cleckner. I got it on Amazon for like $20. Money very well spent. If you watch Warrior Poet Society vids on YouTube he did a few episodes as a guest. Something for every skill level to learn from with him and he makes it easy to digest.

This is really good, a completely homemade all steel .25 ACP, the "Krikit 25." Even the barrel is homemade, and it is not a smoothbore. This apparently first appeared on the Interwebs four years ago but I'm only just discovering it. Mostly it's just basic metal-working skills and spot welding.

Video of the process is here.

Decent resolution photos here.

Templates and parts list is here.

I'm not sure if it's the same guy but I see teasers about a DIY .380 called the Kolt.

This is really good, a completely homemade all steel .25 ACP, the "Krikit 25." Even the barrel is homemade, and it is not a smoothbore. This apparently first appeared on the Interwebs four years ago but I'm only just discovering it. Mostly it's just basic metal-working skills and spot welding.

Video of the process is here.

Decent resolution photos here.

Templates and parts list is here.

I'm not sure if it's the same guy but I see teasers about a DIY .380 called the Kolt.
    Nice to see some home shop made stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How America’s Gun Culture Cultivates Civic Virtue

From the colonists winning independence from Great Britain to African-Americans vindicating their civil rights, the role of the gun is inseparable from American identity.

By Aaron Tao, Sunday, April 7, 2019

“It is through the enjoyment of a dangerous freedom that Americans learn the art of reducing freedom’s perils.” —Alexis de Tocqueville

Many people are often surprised to learn that I am a gun owner and firm defender of the Second Amendment. After all, I, a first-generation Chinese-American immigrant, do not fit the stereotype of the typical American gun owner. Of all of America’s cherished freedoms, the natural and unalienable right of self-defense, recognized and protected (not granted) by the Second Amendment, took me the longest to fully embrace.

But as an open-minded rationalist, the lessons of history and statistical research proved overwhelming (not to mention the sheer fun of learning the basic operations and mechanics of firearms) and eventually helped me understand why tens of millions of my fellow Americans treasure their right to keep and bear arms.

Cultivating Civic Virtue

From the colonists winning independence from Great Britain to African-Americans vindicating their civil rights, the role of the gun is inseparable from American identity. The gun is the ultimate multipurpose tool that empowers its user with the means to put food on the table, as well as preserve one’s life, whether against common street criminals or government tyranny. The philosophical underpinnings and lived experiences that shaped American gun culture all matter (and reinforce each other), but I want to focus on one aspect in particular: the cultivation of civic virtue.

Owning and shooting a gun promotes self-reliance, personal responsibility, and community. Whenever I go to a gun range, I see parents teaching their young children how to shoot, men instructing their significant others, and people of all colors and ethnicities enjoying themselves. Nervous skeptics usually end up leaving with a big smile on their faces.

Further, I am surprised by the large number of foreign tourists eager to learn how to handle and shoot a gun for the first time, an activity that is often out of reach—if not outright illegal—for the average person in their homeland. On more than one occasion,Tocqueville was impressed by America's numerous associations, which provided the lifeblood for self-rule among its people. I served as an unofficial ambassador and taught European exchange students how to shoot my AR-15 semi-automatic rifle.

In my experience, a typical day at the range is an ideal snapshot of American diversity tied to common principles. In the United States, gun culture fosters civic virtue and a healthy civil society as admired by Alexis de Tocqueville, one of America’s best foreign observers. In his classic Democracy in America, he was impressed by the young republic’s numerous voluntary associations, which provided the lifeblood and training grounds for self-rule among its people.

The activities and interactions at gun clubs, ranges, trade shows, and conventions have every effect in cultivating a virtuous citizenry as churches, sports teams, debate societies, and other civic groups do. From lectures on current firearms law to practical lessons on self-defense, experts and ordinary Americans alike freely share their knowledge. America’s gun culture is further reinforced by a vibrant online community that covers gun reviews, custom AR-15 builds, military history, current politics, and virtually every topic one can think of pertaining to firearms.

Empowering People to Be Prepared

After sharing a poignant story of true threats directed at him and his family, National Review writer and Iraq veteran David French describes how carrying a weapon leads to individual empowerment and, as one learns, discovers a welcoming network of support, solidarity, and community:

As your worldview changes, you expand your knowledge. You learn that people defend themselves with guns all the time, usually without pulling the trigger. You share the stories and your own experience with your friends, and soon they walk into gun stores. They start their own journey into America’s “gun culture.”

At the end of this process, your life has changed for the better. Your community has expanded to include people you truly like, who’ve perhaps helped you through a tough time in your life, and you treasure these relationships. You feel a sense of burning conviction that you, your family, and your community are safer and freer because you own and carry a gun….

Confidence is contagious. People want to be empowered. That’s how gun culture is built. Not by the NRA and not by Congress, but by gun owners, one free citizen at a time.

Although I’m fortunate not to have faced a true threat that convinced me of the need for self-protection like French and his family did, I fully understand that evil exists in this world and that under the right circumstances, people can do unspeakable things to each other. On a happier note, I can also confirm that my own journey into American gun culture introduced me to some of the most knowledgeable, kind, and supportive people who are now personal friends.

Accepting Community

I especially want to emphasize the gun community’s overwhelming support for newcomers and marginalized groups. In the aftermath of the 2016 Orlando night club shooting, many gun ranges offered free training, and traditional pro-gun groups such as Open Carry Texas offered armed security for LGBT people. Many gun shops reported a rise in LGBT customers, and new self-defense groups, like the LGBT-centered Pink Pistols, experienced a surge in membership. Free citizens with diverse backgrounds united over shared principles and interests. If he were to witness how individual empowerment through the gun strengthened the fabric of civil society, Tocqueville would be proud.

As admirers of their Greco-Roman predecessors, the Founding Fathers of the United States understood that only virtuous citizens are capable of self-rule and preserving a free society. In the early American republic, statesmen and ordinary people alike saw no conflict between the individual right to bear arms and participating in a militia for collective self-defense, unlike many of today’s misguided debates. In his famed Commentaries on the Constitution, Justice Joseph Story articulated the orthodox view of the Second Amendment:

The importance of this article will scarcely be doubted by any persons, who have duly reflected upon the subject. The militia is the natural defence of a free country against sudden foreign invasions, domestic insurrections, and domestic usurpations of power by rulers. It is against sound policy for a free people to keep up large military establishments and standing armies in time of peace, both from the enormous expenses, with which they are attended, and the facile means, which they afford to ambitious and unprincipled rulers, to subvert the government, or trample upon the rights of the people.

The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic; since it offers a strong moral check against the usurpation and arbitrary power of rulers; and will generally, even if these are successful in the first instance, enable the people to resist and triumph over them.

And yet, though this truth would seem so clear, and the importance of a well regulated militia would seem so undeniable, it cannot be disguised, that among the American people there is a growing indifference to any system of militia discipline, and a strong disposition, from a sense of its burthens, to be rid of all regulations. How it is practicable to keep the people duly armed without some organization, it is difficult to see. There is certainly no small danger, that indifference may lead to disgust, and disgust to contempt; and thus gradually undermine all the protection intended by this clause of our national bill of rights.

As Justice Story and early Americans understood, an armed people upheld free institutions. Far from being lone wolves, individual gun owners throughout American history organized and participated in militia units as a counterbalance against a standing army and the prospects of centralized government tyranny. Even though the militia today no longer plays the important historical role it once did (as Justice Story and others would lament), that certainly does not mean the Second Amendment is obsolete, nor does it even slightly diminish the importance of gun ownership.

The Second Amendment is not a vestigial remnant from a bygone era. It grew out of the experiences of a people who understood the dangers of standing armies and martial law, successfully overthrew a tyrannical government, and recognized the reality of human nature, especially the tendency of men to seek power and dominate others. A free society endures only when its people internalize its principles.Today, as in the Founding generation, our precious right to keep and bear arms remains indispensable for securing the blessings of liberty for ourselves and loved ones in our persons, homes, and livelihoods.

Most modern gun owners know they are the heirs of a constitutional legacy that stretches across the pages of history. A free society endures only when its people internalize its principles. As a naturalized American citizen, I can’t help but feel proud every time I shoot a gun, knowing I am one of millions who keep our heritage of freedom alive.

XnavyHMCS is online now Senior Member
    Beetlegeuse,

THANKS for the article. I will include (perhaps) something gleaned from it in my Master's thesis (as I have to finish and defend this summer, or I lose the whole program and would be tasked with starting anew).

Funny, I just sat down to work on my university project (I am too fucking old for this shit...), decided to check the forum, and I saw a new post here from you...

You didn't disappoint me, as is the norm.

Thanks again...

*** Just from a brief scan, it would appear that I can put some of the info, as it is quite current, into my final chapter. A final chapter with a fitting, dare I risk to sound cliche title of: MOLON LABE. The leftist university staff are gonna shit... Fuck'em.
    Last edited by XnavyHMCS; 04-19-2020 at 01:57 AM.
    i_SLAM_cougars likes this.

TY to Beetle, AG and GH in getting me to this point. Here’s my current thinking:

This particular approach is only for in-home defense:

Our neighbors homes are too close, “regular” bullets are not an option.

Bean-bag or rubber bullets (whichever has more initial stoppage; think it’s bean-bag from YouTube vids). My “idea” is multiple beanbags will give me a moment to get close and personal and take it from there, be it with a hand-gun with a lethal bullet(s) or something else (I am not squeamish). Śound is far less as well.

How many bean-bags would it take? With a laser and a LOT of practice (which I am NOT afraid of, and love), are shots to the head or face doable or practical?

Remington, Mossberg or other suggestions (cost isn’t that big a concern).

Semiautomatic vs. a pump?

Magazine for quicker reload? That is if re-loads are needed for this exact usage, which brings me to the earlier question of how many bean-bag bullets would likely be needed?

If this is all utter horse-shit, stupid, non-sensical & not going to work, please tell me. TY!
    Ernst likes this.

Not gonna work.

There is a reason a group of cops will have 2 with real guns and one going "non-lethal." It simply doesn't always work. A determined attacker or one who is plain nuts or high on drugs may not get the message and you'll just piss him (or them) off more.

Look into something like #4 buck or a high velocity 5.56 round that won't penetrate barriers so well. The honest truth is that anything that's gonna penetrate a bad guy is gonna penetrate drywall.

Keep in mind that scumbags like to travel in packs and pairs.
    Proximal likes this.

Try out a few guns with friends if you can. Choose what you are most comfortable with. And train, train, train.

Pump-action shotguns will honestly take more skill and time to master than a semi-auto platform. The right semi-auto-- be it pistol, shotgun, or rifle-- should be very reliable.
    Proximal likes this.

Nothing sweeter than the sound of a pump shotgun racking a shell into the chamber. That’s a universal sound and let’s the bad guys know what’s coming

No need to worry about a cycling or jamming issue either and they are incredibly affordable. The Remington 870 magnum platform is timeliness
    Proximal likes this.

If I had to choose between nothing vs. a 12ga. loaded with beanbag rounds or rubber slugs, I would opt for the 12 ga.

Would I depend on it to end the encounter? Absolutely not. It at least gives you a better opportunity to butt stroke their skull in.

Keep in mind that's if I had to make that choice.

Fortunately, I'm very rural, so we arm ourselves accordingly.
    C27H40O3 and Proximal like this.

Again guys, my dilemma is I can’t let a stray bullet exit our house, it will penetrate a neighbors. I’d be lying if I said that was only my wife’s decision. I won’t let that happen either. And, no kids to protect. The break-ins here are minimal and in our neighborhood, don’t happen when folks are at home. I’m playing the odds with this one.

Ernst, your point about practice is taken and once I’m committed to something, it’s a no-brainer for me.

Fact of the matter is I have one shoulder failing on me and an essential tremor that ain’t getting better. Reality is, I can possibly miss.

AG, I hear you loud and clear EVEN without the blue bold font AND underlines, lol. I’ll talk to my Sheriff friend regarding his take on what the bean-bags will and won’t do.

Guys, the deepest respect and thanks to you all. I am taking this very seriously & not f’n with everyone’s time. I’ve picked a lousy time to venture into this decision. I’m no longer worried about civil unrest with this f’n pandemic, things are calming down nicely in L.A. Despite the mounting illnesses & deaths, I thought things might have turned uglier. That’s why I originally thought this decision might have to happen now, but not any longer.
    almostgone likes this.

i_SLAM_cougars is offline Banned- for my own actions
    Nothing sweeter than the sound of a pump shotgun racking a shell into the chamber. That’s a universal sound and let’s the bad guys know what’s coming

No need to worry about a cycling or jamming issue either and they are incredibly affordable. The Remington 870 magnum platform is timeliness
    Yep, that’s why I leave one in the chamber. The only sound they’re gonna hear (if they have really good hearing) is the safety clicking off.

Shotgun plain and simple Prox. They make buck shot with low recoil that is also designed not to pass through existing walls or rooms. Plenty of home defense ammo built with that strategy in mind.

Could also get a 20 gauge. Lighter and easy to hold and pump. Better than nothing and certainly effective.

Again that sound of a racked shotgun can be all the deterrent you need.

You can certainly handle a 12 gauge. They make them lightweight too. So many options
    Proximal likes this.

25 years ago, I held a guy at gun point that was breaking into my house. Thank god my dog woke up me up with the most terrifying low growl I have heard. It gave me time to grab my pistol (.38 revolver at the time) and my cordless phone to call 911

I had imagined the situation a million times, fantasized about it. I was fucking scared shitless and I had the upper hand. Thank god he didn’t make a lunge at me and I didn’t have to shoot (I was ready to) my heart was pounding so hard and my hands were shaking, I may have missed him all
    6 times.

My fucking drunk ass college roommate finally woke up and helped me get his ass down on the ground until the cops showed up a few minutes later. It felt like an eternity.

I share this because everyone has a plan until it really happens. Have to give yourself the best opportunity at the time and a scatter gun provides that.

I like to think it’d be different now that I’m a grown man, but I was badass in college and it scared the shit out of me. Had always wanted it to happen so I could blow some asshole away and then it happened and a billion things raced through my mind.

Consequences, the law, how I’d feel, the fear, excitement, adrenaline. All of it. It was a wildly surreal experience to say the least

Be fucking prepared the best you can be is all I’m trying to say and it’s hard to convince me otherwise that a shotgun setup isn’t the best for a home defense firearm situation
    Ernst, Proximal and Chark like this.

Sincerely S & D, thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Proximal View Post
    Again guys, my dilemma is I can’t let a stray bullet exit our house, it will penetrate a neighbors. I’d be lying if I said that was only my wife’s decision. I won’t let that happen either. And, no kids to protect. The break-ins here are minimal and in our neighborhood, don’t happen when folks are at home. I’m playing the odds with this one.

Ernst, your point about practice is taken and once I’m committed to something, it’s a no-brainer for me.

Fact of the matter is I have one shoulder failing on me and an essential tremor that ain’t getting better. Reality is, I can possibly miss.

AG, I hear you loud and clear EVEN without the blue bold font AND underlines, lol. I’ll talk to my Sheriff friend regarding his take on what the bean-bags will and won’t do.

Guys, the deepest respect and thanks to you all. I am taking this very seriously & not f’n with everyone’s time. I’ve picked a lousy time to venture into this decision. I’m no longer worried about civil unrest with this f’n pandemic, things are calming down nicely in L.A. Despite the mounting illnesses & deaths, I thought things might have turned uglier. That’s why I originally thought this decision might have to happen now, but not any longer.
    I'm glad things are improving out there!! This will give you more time to prepare for ( God forbid) any other scenario.
    Definitely talk with your Sheriff/ Sheriff's deputy friend. He can be a great asset!

Quote Originally Posted by Proximal View Post

....and please don't think I was hacking at you with the bold and underlined text, Prox.. I just wanted to acknowledge that I know your situation has some very specific parameters.
    Last edited by almostgone; 04-19-2020 at 04:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by almostgone View Post
    ....and please don't think I was hacking at you with the bold and underlined text, Prox.. I just wanted to acknowledge that I know your situation has some very specific parameters.
    God no, AG, lol. I was joking. I got your point and really appreciated your blunt honesty. If I lived in a remote location or even where the homes had more distance between, this would have been a different thing all-together. Personally speaking, if I were very remote, I’m pretty sure I’d go above and beyond the law in my choices of weapons.

For our first 25 years we lived in a super-secure condominium, that never experienced a single break in of any unit, so the home approach is still relatively new.

This is an odd question, but already something struck me. Do you look at guns as in like, damn, that is good looking. Granted, quality is just that, not based on looks, but f me. Just some of the shot-guns I saw already, damn nice looking peaces of hardware. Is that one reason many of you have multiple guns or is it purely a practical decision based upon need.

Most definitely! Some guns are just plain sexy and others just cosmetically look appealing to me.

Had to find the balance between fashion and function. Most important thing though is RELIABILITY!! Otherwise it’s useless
    Proximal likes this.

flexin-rph is offline Member

Name:	20200419_175504.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	178631

1,000 9mm reloads during quarintine.

Thread Information