Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1823242526272829 LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,120 of 1125
Like Tree909Likes

Thread: Guns and Ammo Thread

  1. #1081
    Honkey_Kong's Avatar
    Honkey_Kong is online now Superbowl XLIX Champs!
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    The Dude Abides
    Posts
    8,989
    Quote Originally Posted by jstone View Post
    you should look at this as a blessing wolf srm primers are some of the best you can buy hands down. they produce some of the best sd and es numbers you will see with a good load. i believe david tubbs was the first person to import wolf primers.
    I haven't fired any of them yet, but if they work as good as you say, I'll at least get some satisfaction out of it. Spending 10x the price for the box keeps me from being happy. I didn't want to participate in the price gouging, but at one point we have to accept that it's either cave in or go without.

  2. #1082
    Honkey_Kong's Avatar
    Honkey_Kong is online now Superbowl XLIX Champs!
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    The Dude Abides
    Posts
    8,989
    Justin Scott Irvin, the owner of autokeycards dot com (don't click on the site), was arrested. The ATF raided his house, business froze all his assets and arrested his family too.

    All this because he sells an image printed on a piece of sheet metal.

    Since they froze his assets, he can't even pay a retainer for a lawyer, so he's waiting for a public defender.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8adkwRvCHk

    If you happen to own one of these, I'd destroy it and throw it away.
    almostgone likes this.

  3. #1083
    almostgone's Avatar
    almostgone is online now AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    the lower carolina
    Posts
    23,698
    Quote Originally Posted by Honkey_Kong View Post
    Justin Scott Irvin, the owner of autokeycards dot com (don't click on the site), was arrested. The ATF raided his house, business froze all his assets and arrested his family too.

    All this because he sells an image printed on a piece of sheet metal.

    Since they froze his assets, he can't even pay a retainer for a lawyer, so he's waiting for a public defender.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8adkwRvCHk

    If you happen to own one of these, I'd destroy it and throw it away.
    You couldn't pay me to take one of those things! Guys were selling wire burned "semi-finished" versions online and I just shook my head and kept on going.
    Honkey_Kong likes this.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

  4. #1084
    Honkey_Kong's Avatar
    Honkey_Kong is online now Superbowl XLIX Champs!
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    The Dude Abides
    Posts
    8,989
    Quote Originally Posted by almostgone View Post
    You couldn't pay me to take one of those things! Guys were selling wire burned "semi-finished" versions online and I just shook my head and kept on going.
    Yeah, I never wanted one either. I always thought of full auto as being a waste of ammo. I want all of my shots to count. Especially in these times!
    almostgone likes this.

  5. #1085
    almostgone's Avatar
    almostgone is online now AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    the lower carolina
    Posts
    23,698
    Quote Originally Posted by Honkey_Kong View Post
    Yeah, I never wanted one either. I always thought of full auto as being a waste of ammo. I want all of my shots to count. Especially in these times!
    I know what you mean, H_K. Besides lifting, I just want my firearms, powder, primers, etc. and time to go punch holes in paper.
    Other than that, just leave me to my solitude with the wife, dogs, wildlife and I'm happy. LOL, leave me alone and everyone should be happy.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

  6. #1086
    Honkey_Kong's Avatar
    Honkey_Kong is online now Superbowl XLIX Champs!
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    The Dude Abides
    Posts
    8,989
    Quote Originally Posted by almostgone View Post
    I know what you mean, H_K. Besides lifting, I just want my firearms, powder, primers, etc. and time to go punch holes in paper.
    Other than that, just leave me to my solitude with the wife, dogs, wildlife and I'm happy. LOL, leave me alone and everyone should be happy.
    Yeah, I'm tired of living in the new world order. I just want things to go back to the way they were.

  7. #1087
    Honkey_Kong's Avatar
    Honkey_Kong is online now Superbowl XLIX Champs!
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    The Dude Abides
    Posts
    8,989
    So I got a Mauser restoration project going on.

    I've so far:

    1. Boiled all the metal parts and then buffed them with 0000 steel wool
    2. I've stripped the wood of its previous finish and pulled the dents out using Krud Kutter, towel and a hot iron (and of course water).
    3. I've scraped the remaining finish off the wood
    4. Bought missing sight hood and cleaning rod

    I've still got to:
    1. Touch up the bluing of metal parts
    2. Get some sawdust from the buttstock to mix with epoxy and fill in missing spots.
    3. Sand the stock and handguard
    4. refinish and seal the stock.
    Last edited by Honkey_Kong; 03-08-2021 at 04:17 PM.

  8. #1088
    almostgone's Avatar
    almostgone is online now AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    the lower carolina
    Posts
    23,698
    Quote Originally Posted by Honkey_Kong View Post
    So I got a Mauser restoration project going on.

    I've so far:

    1. Boiled all the metal parts and then buffed them with 0000 steel wool
    2. I've stripped the wood of its previous finish and pulled the dents out using Krud Kutter, towel and a hot iron (and of course water).
    3. I've scraped the remaining finish off the wood
    4. Bought missing sight hood and cleaning rod

    I've still got to:
    1. Touch up the bluing of metal parts
    2. Get some sawdust from the buttstock to mix with epoxy and fill in missing spots.
    3. Sand the stock and handguard
    4. refinish and seal the stock.
    What model Mauser, H_K? A friend of mine has an Argentine Mauser...don't recall if it's the 1890s model or the early 1900s model.
    Interesting rifle. It's probably 48" in length and won't win any awards for being light weight, but....it's interesting. I've been after him to clean up the stock because under the dark grime you can tell it's got a beautiful grain. Almost like a whorling pattern. Very unusual. Book value isn't anything to write home about but the machining is very good
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

  9. #1089
    Honkey_Kong's Avatar
    Honkey_Kong is online now Superbowl XLIX Champs!
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    The Dude Abides
    Posts
    8,989
    Quote Originally Posted by almostgone View Post
    What model Mauser, H_K? A friend of mine has an Argentine Mauser...don't recall if it's the 1890s model or the early 1900s model.
    Interesting rifle. It's probably 48" in length and won't win any awards for being light weight, but....it's interesting. I've been after him to clean up the stock because under the dark grime you can tell it's got a beautiful grain. Almost like a whorling pattern. Very unusual. Book value isn't anything to write home about but the machining is very good
    This one is a Yugo M48. I wouldn't trust myself with an actual M98. There's a few differences, but it's pretty close to the K98 variant. I'm just happy that the bolt, barrel and stock have correct cartouches. They have different serials, which should be expected from a service rifle. But because of this, it's not going to be some priceless relic that the world would hate me for if I ruined.

    The 1892 Experimental Mauser was such a great design, a lot of military bolt actions from that area either licensed the most of the design or flat out copied it.
    almostgone and Ernst like this.

  10. #1090
    Ernst's Avatar
    Ernst is offline Borderline Personality
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Heart is in Vienna
    Posts
    19,103
    K98 Mauser is on my list of someday guns.

  11. #1091
    Honkey_Kong's Avatar
    Honkey_Kong is online now Superbowl XLIX Champs!
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    The Dude Abides
    Posts
    8,989
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernst View Post
    K98 Mauser is on my list of someday guns.
    It's a beauty. It basically shoots a weak 30 06 round. It still has tons of power though. When I first started handloading, I couldn't find 8x57js brass, so I would run 30 06 brass through my sizing die and then use a hacksaw to cut off the extra and then use a case trimmer to even out the neck. The diameter of the brass down where the primers go is the same so it's a matter of shortening it so that the length is right. If you ever want to do this, remember to anneal the brass first.

    But yeah depending on the condition it'll set you back anywhere from $1300-2000. A Yugo M48 will set you back about $400-550 these days. I got mine for $200, but it was being sold on consignment, so I low-balled the seller and to my surprise, he accepted. It needed A LOT of work though.

    Regardless of which one you buy (if you ever do), you really need to look down the barrel and make sure you can see the rifling in it still. The pristine showroom ones are all in people's collections now. So any you find are going to be used. Also make sure that the bolt's serial, the stock's serial and the barrel's serial all match. There is a huge difference in value and a lot of them don't match. The militaries would mix and match parts to keep them in service longer.
    Last edited by Honkey_Kong; 03-12-2021 at 01:46 AM.
    almostgone likes this.

  12. #1092
    Cuz's Avatar
    Cuz
    Cuz is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    No source checks
    Posts
    6,499
    https://deserttacticalsolutions.com/...ck_p_2703.html


    Just ordered this for my 308 , ive been eyeing brakes for a while now. Pricey but reviews are good. Also ordered a bipod for it also, warming up now and im wanting to hit the range.
    Honkey_Kong likes this.

  13. #1093
    almostgone's Avatar
    almostgone is online now AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    the lower carolina
    Posts
    23,698
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuz View Post
    https://deserttacticalsolutions.com/...ck_p_2703.html


    Just ordered this for my 308 , ive been eyeing brakes for a while now. Pricey but reviews are good. Also ordered a bipod for it also, warming up now and im wanting to hit the range.
    That's actually a decent price for what you're getting, providing it functions as described.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

  14. #1094
    Cuz's Avatar
    Cuz
    Cuz is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    No source checks
    Posts
    6,499
    Quote Originally Posted by almostgone View Post
    That's actually a decent price for what you're getting, providing it functions as described.
    Its a good price, agreed considering. I looked at that price gouging site, im sure you know which one , CTD...223 plus tax and shipping there.

  15. #1095
    almostgone's Avatar
    almostgone is online now AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    the lower carolina
    Posts
    23,698
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuz View Post
    Its a good price, agreed considering. I looked at that price gouging site, im sure you know which one , CTD...223 plus tax and shipping there.
    I agree they are really stretching law of supply and demand economics.

    Post up here the muzzle brake works out for you.


    You may have seen this, bit it's a fun little video.

    Cuz likes this.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

  16. #1096
    almostgone's Avatar
    almostgone is online now AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    the lower carolina
    Posts
    23,698
    ..or two.


    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

  17. #1097
    Beetlegeuse's Avatar
    Beetlegeuse is online now Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2,399
    Quote Originally Posted by almostgone View Post
    ..or two.
    Did you notice that in the second video (about 14 minutes), Mikhail Timofeyevich Kalashnikov shows up ... twice? And dressed differently, so it probably was at different events.

    Barrett is not a not a particularly tall man (~5'10" I think) but he towers over Kalashnikov. So I looked it up and found one source stating he was ~5'3" or 4".

    Barrett mentions that only four people in the last century have designed a weapon (designed entirely by one individual) that was adopted by the US military, JMB (all face Ogden and genuflect), Garand, Stoner and himself. But he's being modest. There was only one person who designed it, prototyped it, marketed it to the government, and then he (or a company he owned) mass produced the version the government had bought. That was Ronnie Barrett.

    All the others on that list already had extensive backgrounds in firearms design or working with the defense industrial complex or both. Barrett had neither.

    And Barrett (the company) did it twice, first with the Mk82 and then with the MRAD. Except the second time it was Chris Barrett who designed it, built the prototype, marketed it to the gummint, and it was Dad's company that mass-produced it. Chris designed the MRAD for a SOCOM competition, which it didn't win. Then SOCOM decided that the rifle that did win (The Remington MSR) wasn't all that and a bag of clips so they bought the MRAD instead. And the Army and the Corps also bought them.
    almostgone likes this.

  18. #1098
    almostgone's Avatar
    almostgone is online now AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    the lower carolina
    Posts
    23,698
    I got a kick out of his ingenuity with marketing when he talked about the expense of booths so he offered to pair up his prototype rifle with a NOD/NVG vendor. Slick way to work the situation.
    He's truly the firearm industry's version of a old school "door to door" salesman.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

  19. #1099
    Beetlegeuse's Avatar
    Beetlegeuse is online now Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2,399
    Homemade Primer Course (pdf)

    This document describes how to make homemade ammunition primers.
    Approaches to make corrosive and noncorrosive primers are covered.

    W. Marshall Thompson PhD
    Revision Date: June28, 2019,

  20. #1100
    Honkey_Kong's Avatar
    Honkey_Kong is online now Superbowl XLIX Champs!
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    The Dude Abides
    Posts
    8,989
    Quote Originally Posted by Beetlegeuse View Post
    Homemade Primer Course (pdf)

    This document describes how to make homemade ammunition primers.
    Approaches to make corrosive and noncorrosive primers are covered.

    W. Marshall Thompson PhD
    Revision Date: June28, 2019,
    You posted this pdf before.

  21. #1101
    Beetlegeuse's Avatar
    Beetlegeuse is online now Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2,399
    Quote Originally Posted by Honkey_Kong View Post
    You posted this pdf before.
    Let's make it an even three.

    Homemade Primer Course (pdf)
    Honkey_Kong likes this.

  22. #1102
    Beetlegeuse's Avatar
    Beetlegeuse is online now Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2,399
    << corks popping >>
    << corks popping >>
    << corks popping >>

    This is precious little comfort to the people who spent their own time and money to invent, trademark, patent and market the bump-FIRE stock because the ATF's assinine ruling put them out of business.

    US Appeals court rules bump stock devices are not ‘machine guns’

    The U.S. 6th Circuit Court of Appeals ruled on Thursday that bump stock accessories cannot be considered “machine guns” and thus not subjected to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF) ban....


    ... “The district court erred by finding that the ATF’s Final Rule, which interpreted the meaning of a machine gun as defined in 26 U.S.C. § 5845(b), was entitled to Chevron deference,” the 6th Circuit ruling said, in reversing the district court’s decision.

    “And because we find that “single function of the trigger” refers to the mechanical process of the trigger, we further hold that a bump stock cannot be classified as a machine gun because a bump stock does not enable a semiautomatic firearm to fire more than one shot each time the trigger is pulled.”

    The ruling comes two years after the ATF’s ban went into effect on March 26, 2019, illegalizing an estimated 500,000 bump stock accessories owned by Americans...


    ... The case was filed by Gun Owners of America (GOA), Gun Owners Foundation (GOF), the Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL), Matt Watkins, Tim Harmsen of the Military Arms Channel, and GOA’s Texas Director, Rachel Malone....



    Notice that conspicuous in its absence from this list is the National Fucking Rifle Association. Which puts the lie to the claim that we have to excuse the NRA of its multitudinous transgressions because none of the lesser pro-2A/RKBA organizations can accomplish what they do.

    But what was their contribution in this case? Bupkis.
    almostgone and Cuz like this.

  23. #1103
    Honkey_Kong's Avatar
    Honkey_Kong is online now Superbowl XLIX Champs!
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    The Dude Abides
    Posts
    8,989
    My new toy just came in the mail. I need to get the conversion cylinder for it so that it'll shoot .45 LC

    Guns and Ammo Thread-20210327_105339.jpg
    Cuz and almostgone like this.

  24. #1104
    Beetlegeuse's Avatar
    Beetlegeuse is online now Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2,399
    Another claim of a "world record," this one using a 6'x6' target. It least it wasn't some random snake eater shooting at a random-sized target and calling it a "world record" after he'd fired a random number of shots. This was in competition and it isn't the shooter doing the crowing.

    The shot was 4,134 yards, which they're calling the longest ever shot in competition, plus the longest ever shot with a .33-cal rifle. None of the articles I'm finding tell who was running the competition but (I think) it was held at the Spearpoint Ranch in Barnard Ks.

    The rifle was a full-up custom shooting .33XC, which actually is a .338 Lapua AI, except PO Ackley didn't design it (because he's dead) so Petersen Cartridge (no relation to John Pedersen) flared the case body and steepened the shoulder, à la PO Ackley's standard formula for the "Ackley Improved" wildcats. Bullet was a 300-gr Hornady A-Tip, which is a bit out of the ordinary because that's a conventional copper-jacketed lead bullet. ELR shooters tend to favor machined brass monolithic bullets. MV was ~3,165 fps. 78 mils of holdover with 7.2 mils of windage. Which is respectable shooting in anybody's book.

    At 2.35 Miles, This Is The Longest Rifle Shot Ever Recorded In Competition
    The story behind Ryan Cheney’s record 4,134-yard shot

    At 2.35 Miles, This Is The Longest Rifle Shot Ever Recorded In Competition

  25. #1105
    Beetlegeuse's Avatar
    Beetlegeuse is online now Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2,399
    The military has been using "hollow point" ammunition in sniper and designated marksman ammunition for a while already only they call it "open tip match." And they justify it as being about precision rather than terminal effects because the tiny little hollow point eliminates a pointy, pointy meplat that is susceptible to being deformed by rough handling without giving up much in ballistic coefficient.

    They're justifying this hollowpoint pistol ammo as for use in situations when overpenetration would pose an unacceptable risk, however, I tend to be suspicious of their reasoning because it's loaded to ++P pressures (hotter than +P).

    US Army’s M1153 Special Purpose 9mm Hollow Point Ammo Tested





    US Army’s M1153 Special Purpose 9mm Hollow Point Ammo Tested
    Last edited by Beetlegeuse; 04-01-2021 at 02:04 PM.

  26. #1106
    Beetlegeuse's Avatar
    Beetlegeuse is online now Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2,399
    Scammers targeting gun owners on social media, offering cheap ammo and primers

    Because of the ammunition shortage, scammers are targeting gun owners online with too-good-to-be-true deals for ammunition and primers. We talk to one of the fraudsters via text....

  27. #1107
    Honkey_Kong's Avatar
    Honkey_Kong is online now Superbowl XLIX Champs!
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    The Dude Abides
    Posts
    8,989
    Quote Originally Posted by Beetlegeuse View Post
    Scammers targeting gun owners on social media, offering cheap ammo and primers

    Because of the ammunition shortage, scammers are targeting gun owners online with too-good-to-be-true deals for ammunition and primers. We talk to one of the fraudsters via text....
    It's just like anything, if it sounds too good to be true, it almost always is. The scamming is probably going to get a lot worse as people become more and more desperate. I pay obscene amounts on Gunbroker for primers, but at least if I get scammed, I can complain and get my money back.
    almostgone likes this.

  28. #1108
    Beetlegeuse's Avatar
    Beetlegeuse is online now Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2,399
    For you 1911 junkies, words of wisdom from Larry Vickers on ol' slab sides.



    I'm pleased to see Vickers looking so good. The mall ninjas had been down on him because he had got right roly-poly in retirement but he was feeling all the hard miles as a Tier 1 Operator. What they don't realize is, these (SF/SpecWar) guys are Olympic-caliber athletes who kill folk for a living. And with our modern style of ground warfare, the physical demands we place on them is beyond belief. We've got an epidemic of grunts being medically retired while still in their late 20s because of the wear and tear incurred from multiple tours in A-stan, humping 120-lbs of kit up and down the mountains in Kunar and Nuristan. Not from injuries per se, not even from anything as a direct result of engaging the enemy. We literally are wearing these men out while they're still quite young (and it's worse now than during LAV's watch).

    Vickers took advantage of a short-lived program and went straight from basic training and AIT to SFQC, did the rest of his 20 years in the Green Berets, 15 of that in Delta (1st SFOD-D), 9-1/2 of that on the Assault team (the literal "A-Team"). All of that "dynamic" activity -- including several broken bones and three copter crashes -- left him with a thoroughly screwed-up back, made worse by a botched surgery. So the bad back beget enforced inactivity and the enforced inactivity beget the "dunlop" disease. But he finally found a surgeon to put his back right and as you can see in this video he's obviously in fine fettle.

    In any case, LAV is not just a 1911 gunsmith of considerable renown, I dare say he has killed more people with the 1911 than any man living who can match his smithing credentials. So his interest and expertise in the beast goes well beyond the merely "academic." I think it's safe to say that when it comes to The Lusty Colt, The Trusty Colt, The Weapon Democratic, if LAV says it, you can take it to the bank.

    EDIT:
    I knew for some time that LAV was down on the G21 but I didn't know why until I saw this.
    Last edited by Beetlegeuse; 04-03-2021 at 04:45 PM.
    almostgone likes this.

  29. #1109
    Ernst's Avatar
    Ernst is offline Borderline Personality
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Heart is in Vienna
    Posts
    19,103
    Benelli M4? or Beretta 1301 Tactical?

    Help me decide!!!


    Beretta is $1400 and the Benelli is $1900, if that helps.

  30. #1110
    Honkey_Kong's Avatar
    Honkey_Kong is online now Superbowl XLIX Champs!
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    The Dude Abides
    Posts
    8,989
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernst View Post
    Benelli M4? or Beretta 1301 Tactical?

    Help me decide!!!


    Beretta is $1400 and the Benelli is $1900, if that helps.
    The Beretta weighs less, but you don't get that pistol grip with it unless you get the LE model or an aftermarket stock.

    I really don't like the sights on either of them. I prefer bead sights on shotguns, since they make tracking with it faster (although they'd probably be pretty useless in a dark confined setting that you'd use a tactical shotgun in).

    If you're looking to keep it stock, the M4 is more maneuverable in tight settings due to the grips. I really don't think you can make a bad choice between the two.
    Ernst likes this.

  31. #1111
    Beetlegeuse's Avatar
    Beetlegeuse is online now Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2,399
    Remember this KaBoom! I posted about back in January?


    click to embiggen

    It's a boutique AR-15 from Wilson Combat that went 'splody under mysterious circumstances. I went back to that gun shop today and saw what looked to be the same rifle sitting in the rack behind the counter. Asked the owner if that was the same gun come back from Wilson and he grinned and said 'yes.'

    "Somebody'd shot a 300 blackout in it."

    Not so mysterious after all. In the IT bidness, that's what we call the ID-10-T error. ID10T.

    It couldn't have fired OOB so when the owner charged it and the .30-cal bullet found it couldn't squeeze into the barrel's .223 throat, the BCG must have had enough momentum to dislodge the bullet and drive it well back in to the cartridge case so the bolt could lock up. At which point it had not only an obstruction in the barrel, it also had a bullet seated excessively deep in the case. Which, predictably, caused a massive overpressure.

    It's probably a testament to the strength of that billet upper receiver that it didn't come apart worse than it did and severely injure the shooter. As was, all it hurt was his wallet, to the tune of $800.

    Pay the stupid tax.
    almostgone likes this.

  32. #1112
    Beetlegeuse's Avatar
    Beetlegeuse is online now Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2,399
    AZ bans enforcement of ‘unconstitutional’ federal gun laws

    On Tuesday, Republican Arizona Gov. Doug Ducey signed into law a bill that would preclude the state from enforcing any new gun control laws passed at the federal level that the state deems to be unconstitutional. The Arizona law comes amid President Joe Biden’s calls for Congress to pass new gun control laws.

    The legislation, HB2111, short-titled “2nd amendment; unenforceable federal laws,” states “An act, law, treaty, order, rule or regulation of the United States government that violates Amendment II of the Constitution of the United States is null, void, and unenforceable in this state.”

    The Arizona bill further states, “This state and all political subdivisions of this stare are prohibited from using any personnel, or financial resources to enforce, administer or cooperate with any act, law, treaty, order, rule or regulation of the United States government that violates Amendment II of the Constitution of the United States.”

    The Associated Press reported proponents of the Arizona bill say it will ensure that the rights of gun owners are protected from potentially unconstitutional gun control efforts under the Biden administration. Opponents of the bill, meanwhile, say it will undermine the rule of law and that the bill itself is an unconstitutional measure that could cost state taxpayers to defend in court....
    Ernst likes this.

  33. #1113
    Honkey_Kong's Avatar
    Honkey_Kong is online now Superbowl XLIX Champs!
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    The Dude Abides
    Posts
    8,989
    Quote Originally Posted by Beetlegeuse View Post
    AZ bans enforcement of ‘unconstitutional’ federal gun laws

    On Tuesday, Republican Arizona Gov. Doug Ducey signed into law a bill that would preclude the state from enforcing any new gun control laws passed at the federal level that the state deems to be unconstitutional. The Arizona law comes amid President Joe Biden’s calls for Congress to pass new gun control laws.

    The legislation, HB2111, short-titled “2nd amendment; unenforceable federal laws,” states “An act, law, treaty, order, rule or regulation of the United States government that violates Amendment II of the Constitution of the United States is null, void, and unenforceable in this state.”

    The Arizona bill further states, “This state and all political subdivisions of this stare are prohibited from using any personnel, or financial resources to enforce, administer or cooperate with any act, law, treaty, order, rule or regulation of the United States government that violates Amendment II of the Constitution of the United States.”

    The Associated Press reported proponents of the Arizona bill say it will ensure that the rights of gun owners are protected from potentially unconstitutional gun control efforts under the Biden administration. Opponents of the bill, meanwhile, say it will undermine the rule of law and that the bill itself is an unconstitutional measure that could cost state taxpayers to defend in court....
    AZ needs to pass a bill that enables their state LEO to arrest federal agents who attempt to enforce those unconstitutional laws within their state.
    Ernst likes this.

  34. #1114
    Cuz's Avatar
    Cuz
    Cuz is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    No source checks
    Posts
    6,499
    Arizona has balls lets see if the other states follow
    Honkey_Kong likes this.

  35. #1115
    Beetlegeuse's Avatar
    Beetlegeuse is online now Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2,399
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuz View Post
    Arizona has balls lets see if the other states follow
    Arizona isn't the first to do this. Other states have already passed laws that forbid any state actor to provide any assistance to Feds who intend pursuing any federal law that is in violation of their state constitution.

    The "usual suspects" for pro gun stuff like this are Flarduh, Texas and Tennessee. And they're joined at the hip. When one of them passes some new sort of pro-gun law -- like the 'Stand Your Ground law -- the other two will follow in short order. I might be wrong but I think all three already have laws forbidding assisting the Feds in any anti-gun stuff.

    The big exception to "the big three" rule is Montana, which originated the "Firearms Freedom Act." The Montana FFA started because a gun guy in Montana (and state legislator) wanted to manufacture a juvenile-sized version of the old Remington 67 single shot .22LR bolt action rifle. These rifles were to be sold exclusively to Montana residents and with the understanding that the rifle was never to leave the state.

    The federal gummint can and does use the Interstate Commerce Act whenever it feels like it the thwart state's 10th Amendment rights. But if nothing about the transaction ever goes across a state line then the ICA shouldn't kick in. So the Montana FFA specifically said we'll do whatever we want with our firearms so long as they are manufactured, sold and remain within our state.

    To date, seven other states have passed their own version of the FFA. The Montana FFA genuinely was about being able to sell a gun that would live its entire life "locally," but the other seven states have jumped on the bandwagon to give themselves "standing' for eventually challenging Federal firearm laws as violations of the 10th Amendment. which all federal gun laws clearly are because there's nothing in the US Constitution that gives the federals the power to do jack shit about guns.

    But like all such matters, nobody has yet thrown the first punch because that's a fight you don't dare start unless you have a strong chance to win, because losing it would set a precedent that would only make the problem worse.
    Last edited by Beetlegeuse; 04-10-2021 at 01:11 PM.

  36. #1116
    almostgone's Avatar
    almostgone is online now AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    the lower carolina
    Posts
    23,698
    Quote Originally Posted by Beetlegeuse View Post
    ......But like all such matters, nobody has yet thrown the first punch because that's a fight you don't dare start unless you have a strong chance to win, because losing it would set a precedent that would only make the problem worse.
    Exactly. No half stepping.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

  37. #1117
    almostgone's Avatar
    almostgone is online now AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    the lower carolina
    Posts
    23,698
    Quote Originally Posted by Beetlegeuse View Post
    ......But like all such matters, nobody has yet thrown the first punch because that's a fight you don't dare start unless you have a strong chance to win, because losing it would set a precedent that would only make the problem worse.
    Exactly. No half stepping.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

  38. #1118
    Beetlegeuse's Avatar
    Beetlegeuse is online now Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2,399
    CNN accidentally journalisms

    Stunner: CNN ‘Fact Checker’ Calls Biden [[AKA "Chairman Xiden"]] Remarks ‘False,’ ‘Misleading’

    A fact checker for CNN has called Joe Biden [[AKA "Chairman Xiden"]] on “false” and “misleading” statements he made about gun laws and gun shows during his recent unveiling of his “initial” gun control package, which suggests there is more to come and it will be bad news for gun owners.

    According to the CNN fact checker, when Biden [[Xiden]] “claimed that ‘the only industry in America — a billion-dollar industry — that can’t be sued — has exempt from being sued — are gun manufacturers,’” he was making it up. (smphasis added)

    “This is false,”the fact checker wrote. “Gun manufacturers are not entirely exempt from being sued, nor are they only industry with some liability protections. [[As I have noted previously, Remington (et. Al) is only now emerging from litigation-induced bankruptcy]]

    Later, the president claimed, “If you walk into a store and you buy a gun, you have a background check. But you go to a gun show, you can buy whatever you want and no background check.”..

    ... According to the CNN fact checker, “This framing from Biden [[Xiden]] is misleading, since it leaves the false impression that gun shows are exempt from background check laws. Purchases at gun shows are not exempt from background checks, which are required on purchases from licensed gun dealers whether you are in a gun store, a gun show or anywhere else. (emphasis added)

    ... Biden [[Xiden]] has had a credibility problem with guns for decades. A perennial anti-gunner from his earliest days on Capitol Hill, Biden [[Xiden]] earned the unflattering nickname “Shotgun Joe” when, during a YouTube interview, he advised a woman to “buy a double-barreled shotgun” rather than a semi-auto rifle for home defense, and use the shotgun to scare away burglars by taking it outside and firing two shots in the air. That’s an unlawful discharge of a firearm in many jurisdictions and can result in criminal charges....

  39. #1119
    Beetlegeuse's Avatar
    Beetlegeuse is online now Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2,399

  40. #1120
    Honkey_Kong's Avatar
    Honkey_Kong is online now Superbowl XLIX Champs!
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    The Dude Abides
    Posts
    8,989
    Hopefully they start making good ammo. Remington was always the worst.
    almostgone likes this.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 5 users browsing this thread. (2 members and 3 guests)

  1. Beetlegeuse,
  2. Honkey_Kong

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •