Page 32 of 34 FirstFirst ... 222728293031323334 LastLast
Results 1,241 to 1,280 of 1350
Like Tree1028Likes

Thread: Guns and Ammo Thread

Honkey_Kong is online now Superbowl XLIX Champs!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluidic Kimbo View Post
    In the USA, I don't think you have to be too discrete about your guns because so many people have them.

I think here in the UK though, I need to be discrete when I get my revolver and take it home. I don't think I should be blabbing my mouth telling everyone about it, and I don't think I should be sharing photos around the place, for two reasons:
    (1) I don't want the police confiscating my gun
    (2) I don't want to be burgled for my gun
    If you can legally obtain a firearm and keep it in your home, why would you be afraid of the police confiscating it?
    almostgone likes this.

Fluidic Kimbo is offline Morale Officer (de facto)
    Quote Originally Posted by Honkey_Kong View Post
    If you can legally obtain a firearm and keep it in your home, why would you be afraid of the police confiscating it?
    If I were to share photographs or videos of me with my gun, then I probably shouldn't mess around in the photographs/videos. The cops can revoke my certificate if they think I'm taking photographs or making videos in which I'm messing around with my gun, like pretending to be a cowboy or whatever.

They revoke firearms certificates for other stuff too. One guy at the shooting range had the police called out to his house for a domestic with his wife, and they took his guns away.

Even if I'm caught speeding in my car or run a red light, I have to call the the firearms and explosives branch and tell them. If they make the decision that they don't want me to have a gun for whatever reason then they'll just revoke my certificate and take my gun away.

So if I do ever share videos/photographs of me with my gun then it would have to be pretty serious stuff at the shooting range. By law I think I'm only allowed to have my gun in 3 places:
    (1) At home
    (2) At the shooting range
    (3) In my own personal vehicle in transit to the shooting range (or on the way back home)

It would be very easy for them to revoke my certificate if they ever saw a photograph of me with my gun anywhere else. To be smart about it I should only take videos/photographs at the shooting range, and not messing around screaming Yee Haw like cowboy.

A friend of mine has a firearms certificate so I asked him if he could go to my gun club and take my revolver and bring it to his club so that we can shoot there, but by law he's forbidden to transport in his vehicle any gun other than what's listed on his own firearms certificate.

Cuz
    Cuz is offline VET
    In other news…

Beware of fake ammo sights. seems to be alot floating around. If its too good to be true, it is. I almost fell for it today.
    almostgone and OdinsOtherSon like this.

almostgone is offline AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuz View Post
    In other news…

Beware of fake ammo sights. seems to be alot floating around. If its too good to be true, it is. I almost fell for it today.
    I've run across several on ammoseek, etc. When I got to looking around, several of them had numerous complaints and their websites were actually "copycat" sights. I usually stick to SG, Widener's, etc.
    Cuz likes this.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

If I were to share photographs or videos of me with my gun, then I probably shouldn't mess around in the photographs/videos. The cops can revoke my certificate if they think I'm taking photographs or making videos in which I'm messing around with my gun, like pretending to be a cowboy or whatever.

They revoke firearms certificates for other stuff too. One guy at the shooting range had the police called out to his house for a domestic with his wife, and they took his guns away.

Even if I'm caught speeding in my car or run a red light, I have to call the the firearms and explosives branch and tell them. If they make the decision that they don't want me to have a gun for whatever reason then they'll just revoke my certificate and take my gun away.

So if I do ever share videos/photographs of me with my gun then it would have to be pretty serious stuff at the shooting range. By law I think I'm only allowed to have my gun in 3 places:
    (1) At home
    (2) At the shooting range
    (3) In my own personal vehicle in transit to the shooting range (or on the way back home)

It would be very easy for them to revoke my certificate if they ever saw a photograph of me with my gun anywhere else. To be smart about it I should only take videos/photographs at the shooting range, and not messing around screaming Yee Haw like cowboy.

A friend of mine has a firearms certificate so I asked him if he could go to my gun club and take my revolver and bring it to his club so that we can shoot there, but by law he's forbidden to transport in his vehicle any gun other than what's listed on his own firearms certificate.
    TLDR. I don't normally support gun laws, but any law keeping a gun out of your hands is a good one.

In other news…

How good of a deal were they offering?

I'm still salty over Bayou Bullets. I bought some 45 ACP projectiles during the "holocough," and it took them almost a whole year to mail them to me. I even tried contacting them via email. Not one response. Then I get a notice that my order has been shipped and it was so long, I nearly forgot I even ordered it.

I'm still salty over Bayou Bullets. I bought some 45 ACP projectiles during the "holocough," and it took them almost a whole year to mail them to me. I even tried contacting them via email. Not one response. Then I get a notice that my order has been shipped and it was so long, I nearly forgot I even ordered it.
    Were you trying to get ammo, cast bullets or jacketed bullets, H_K? ...or did you get what you needed?
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

Cuz
    Cuz is offline VET
    Quote Originally Posted by almostgone View Post
    I've run across several on ammoseek, etc. When I got to looking around, several of them had numerous complaints and their websites were actually "copycat" sights. I usually stick to SG, Widener's, etc.
    Im watching SG’s inventory daily.
    almostgone likes this.

Cuz
    Cuz is offline VET

A year?? Wtf

30 cal magnums for around 55 cents a piece, .308 for .50 cents. Hornady critical defense, yeah a pricey round no fuckin way.

Were you trying to get ammo, cast bullets or jacketed bullets, H_K? ...or did you get what you needed?
    I was trying to get their powder-coated cast bullets (just the projectiles). Eventually, I got what I needed, but it took forever. And quality-wise I would say I got exactly what I was expecting with them. They didn't look visibly unbalanced or anything. My 1911 liked them, but I should've spent more money and got them from somewhere else.
    almostgone likes this.

A year?? Wtf

30 cal magnums for around 55 cents a piece, .308 for .50 cents. Hornady critical defense, yeah a pricey round no fuckin way.
    It was pretty cheap. I forgot exactly what I paid, but I remember shipping almost cost more than the projectiles. Here's what they look like:

[img height = 200 width = 300] https://i.ibb.co/6Y0Sr64/20230924-151059.jpg[/img]
    Last edited by Honkey_Kong; 09-24-2023 at 04:23 PM.

I was trying to get their powder-coated cast bullets (just the projectiles). Eventually, I got what I needed, but it took forever. And quality-wise I would say I got exactly what I was expecting with them. They didn't look visibly unbalanced or anything. My 1911 liked them, but I should've spent more money and got them from somewhere else.
    Falcon Bullet used to sell polymer coated cast lead bullets and were good to deal with. When there was so much problems getting lead, the owner closed down, but they're back open now.

For cast bullets I've used Falcon and Missouri for quite some time, but I haven't dealt with Falcon since they reopened. I'm not sure if the same owner has it or if he sold it?

Falcon Bullet used to sell polymer coated cast lead bullets and were good to deal with. When there was so much problems getting lead, the owner closed down, but they're back open now.

For cast bullets I've used Falcon and Missouri for quite some time, but I haven't dealt with Falcon since they reopened. I'm not sure if the same owner has it or if he sold it?
    I haven't ever used Falcon before, but I did look at they say it's the same company just under new ownership (which usually means they're going to eventually tweak with what they make for good or bad). Missouri makes pretty decent cast bullets though. I've never heard anybody complain about their quality. Yeah in 2020, everybody was buying every box of ammo available in addition to governments increasing their orders, so I understand supply issues became a big thing then. I was just upset with the customer service (or lack of) that Bayou did.

But yeah for anybody who likes to shoot or likes to handload, cast bullets are the economical way to go. With the polymer and powder coatings, leading of barrells really isn't much of a thing (still happens but very little of it and you can clean it out with a wired barrel brush).

In fact if you're using a reproduction revolver (like an 1858 Remington Army) converted to 45LC or 38SP, cast bullets with cowboy-load charges should be the only things you shoot out of them. They can't handle the pressures that standard modern cartridges have.

I haven't ever used Falcon before, but I did look at they say it's the same company just under new ownership (which usually means they're going to eventually tweak with what they make for good or bad). Missouri makes pretty decent cast bullets though. I've never heard anybody complain about their quality. Yeah in 2020, everybody was buying every box of ammo available in addition to governments increasing their orders, so I understand supply issues became a big thing then. I was just upset with the customer service (or lack of) that Bayou did.

But yeah for anybody who likes to shoot or likes to handload, cast bullets are the economical way to go. With the polymer and powder coatings, leading of barrells really isn't much of a thing (still happens but very little of it and you can clean it out with a wired barrel brush).

In fact if you're using a reproduction revolver (like an 1858 Remington Army) converted to 45LC or 38SP, cast bullets with cowboy-load charges should be the only things you shoot out of them. They can't handle the pressures that standard modern cartridges have.
    I mainly shoot 9mm and .45ACP. There are spells where(if I have time) I will load and shoot through quite a decent quantity of ammo. So, I generally shoot lead and basic loads using W231 or the like.

For my jacketed HP rounds, I'm spoiled and pay the extra for Vihtavuori.

Pretty sure I've posted this pic before, but this is an old defunct dorm room type refrigerator that I keep stocked. It doesn't look like there's that much there, but I've got is stacked deep.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Guns and Ammo Thread-img_20200415_160406.jpg  
    Cuz likes this.

I mainly shoot 9mm and .45ACP. There are spells where(if I have time) I will load and shoot through quite a decent quantity of ammo. So, I generally shoot lead and basic loads using W231 or the like.

For my jacketed HP rounds, I'm spoiled and pay the extra for Vihtavuori.

Pretty sure I've posted this pic before, but this is an old defunct dorm room type refrigerator that I keep stocked. It doesn't look like there's that much there, but I've got is stacked deep.
    Damn Lyman dies? Those are pretty nice. Most of my calibers are with Lee dies. They're good enough and meet the specs. I've heard they wear out quickly, but I've been generous with the lube so I've never had one wear out after thousands of handloads.

Normally, with jacketed pistol rounds, I like to use Power Pistol. But a lot of times lately, for cast rounds, I've been using WST (mostly because my local store keeps it in stock).
    almostgone likes this.

Damn Lyman dies? Those are pretty nice. Most of my calibers are with Lee dies. They're good enough and meet the specs. I've heard they wear out quickly, but I've been generous with the lube so I've never had one wear out after thousands of handloads.

Normally, with jacketed pistol rounds, I like to use Power Pistol. But a lot of times lately, for cast rounds, I've been using WST (mostly because my local store keeps it in stock).
    Yes sir, I learned with Lyman dies and have just stuck with them. I have a Lyman T-Mag turret press and a Redding Big Boss single stage press.
    2 Lyman 55 powder measures. One for pistol powders and one for rifle powders....I know, lol, I'm weird like that.

Yes sir, I learned with Lyman dies and have just stuck with them. I have a Lyman T-Mag turret press and a Redding Big Boss single stage press.
    2 Lyman 55 powder measures. One for pistol powders and one for rifle powders....I know, lol, I'm weird like that.
    I've been using the Lee powder measure I've had since I got in to it. If you don't know how to tap the base of the measure, it won't pour the right amount in to the casing. If I give it 4 good taps when you raise the lever up to fill the base, it's pretty close within .1 grains (according to my measure). If you don't do that or if you tap top much, I've been as many as 3 grains off before. Which for a rifle load doesn't make much difference, but for pistols it's a huge difference.

Also I've found the measure is more difficult to get to work properly if you're using flat flakes of powder like in shotgun powders.

Cuz
    Cuz is offline VET
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2956.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	182755

Just picked up this springfield xdm elite in 10 mm auto. Vortex viper red dot. Holds 16 rounds, gonna be my primary, letting the old sub c 40 be a backup
    Honkey_Kong likes this.

I've been using the Lee powder measure I've had since I got in to it. If you don't know how to tap the base of the measure, it won't pour the right amount in to the casing. If I give it 4 good taps when you raise the lever up to fill the base, it's pretty close within .1 grains (according to my measure). If you don't do that or if you tap top much, I've been as many as 3 grains off before. Which for a rifle load doesn't make much difference, but for pistols it's a huge difference.

Also I've found the measure is more difficult to get to work properly if you're using flat flakes of powder like in shotgun powders.
    Yes sir, once you develop a method to give a consistent charge, stick with it. For me, I cycle the knocker 3 times every charge. If it's been a while since I loaded, I throw a charge and weight it. Then I'll throw 10 more individual charges and check that last one. After that I spot check as long as I'm still on the same lot # of powder and haven't changed anything.

Flake powder can be a pain to meter properly. If I had to deal with it a lot, I'd probably consider a trickler.

teedoff is online now Member

Just picked up this springfield xdm elite in 10 mm auto. Vortex viper red dot. Holds 16 rounds, gonna be my primary, letting the old sub c 40 be a backup
    Nice I grabbed a hellcat pro a few months ago. It's my main carry when I'm in the truck. Then keep my sig p238 with me on the bike. Got a cheapish swampfox red dot im picking up sat.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Guns and Ammo Thread-img_20230405_203300_01.jpg  
    Cuz likes this.

Nice!! 10mm is a potent round.

Springfield has really upped their pistol game. They did good when they introduced the XD and have just kept bringing good tools to the table
    Cuz likes this.

If you get the chance, buy a pound of Vihtavuori that is appropriate for the caliber you're loading. It's not the cheapest, so that's why I reserve it for my defensive loads. The reduction in muzzle flash from Vihtavuori compared to most other powders is noticeable.

Cuz
    Cuz is offline VET
    Nice!! 10mm is a potent round.

Springfield has really upped their pistol game. They did good when they introduced the XD and have just kept bringing good tools to the table
    In terms of power the 10 mm outperforms the 357 magnum in liberty’s civil defense line of ammo

Yeah ive always used glock and smith, first springfield the xd-m elite had really good reviews basically 5 stars everywhere i found i like it just need to shoot it

Cuz
    Cuz is offline VET
    Quote Originally Posted by teedoff View Post
    Nice I grabbed a hellcat pro a few months ago. It's my main carry when I'm in the truck. Then keep my sig p238 with me on the bike. Got a cheapish swampfox red dot im picking up sat.
    I love the hellcats too i just didnt want another sub compact but if i did that would be the one id buy in 9mm
    teedoff likes this.

In terms of power the 10 mm outperforms the 357 magnum in liberty’s civil defense line of ammo

Yeah ive always used glock and smith, first springfield the xd-m elite had really good reviews basically 5 stars everywhere i found i like it just need to shoot it
    LOL, I still have plans for another Springfield besides my mil-spec 1911-A1. Most of my stuff is Sig, several S&W revolvers, Ruger SP101, S&W 5906, G19x, Colt Officer's ACP, and a few others. The 1911A1 may turn into a project pistol.
    Last edited by almostgone; 09-27-2023 at 12:04 PM.

Cuz
    Cuz is offline VET
    LOL, I still have plans for another Springfield besides my mil-spec 1911-A1. Most of my stuff is Sig, several S&W revolvers, S&W 5906, G19x, Colt Officer's ACP, and a few others. The 1911A1 may turn into a project pistol.
    Sounds like you have a wall full.

teedoff is online now Member
    Picked up these two in the last few weeks. ATI bulldog 12g. And a Henry lever action .410 stock photo as I didn't take a picture of it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Guns and Ammo Thread-20230906_144005.jpg   Guns and Ammo Thread-5165108010-1-.jpg  
    Last edited by teedoff; 09-27-2023 at 09:47 AM.
    Cuz likes this.

Cuz
    Cuz is offline VET
    Quote Originally Posted by teedoff View Post
    Picked up these two in the last few weeks. ATI bulldog 12g. And a Henry lever action .410 stock photo as I didn't take a picture of it.
    Thats gonna pack a “wallop”
    teedoff likes this.

We like to keep a few in odd places around the house.

As far as Sigs, I'm pretty basic. P220 Carry, Sig P365XL, Sig M11-A1, and a Sig Ultra.

We have a couple other odds and ends. I still drop by the gun counter for cardio regularly. My heart starts beating even more out of rhythm, I get sweaty, and don't even have to get on a treadmill.
    Cuz likes this.

I very nearly fucked up my firearms certificate. My liver ALT is down from 700 to 560, so I'm a little bit out of the woods medically, and also I told my doctor that I did the damage with over-the-counter supplements because I didn't want the police phoning my doctor and being told 'He's taking unprescribed restricted medications which he purchased illegally'. Dodged that one.

It's not in my budget, but I'd like to add a Staccato C2. I got to run a few magazines through one recently. I'm pretty sure it gave me better groups than I deserved.

Cuz
    Cuz is offline VET
    It's not in my budget, but I'd like to add a Staccato C2. I got to run a few magazines through one recently. I'm pretty sure it gave me better groups than I deserved.
    Old buddy of mine told me to go that route. I havent looked into them, just the name sounds pricey.

Old buddy of mine told me to go that route. I havent looked into them, just the name sounds pricey.
    You can drop $2k...more if you get options. Really smooth shooting and quick recovery, even w/ +P loadings.

https://staccato2011.com/handguns/staccato-c2/

Have you got a chance to pop the XDM's cherry yet?

The closest I've got is a pistol that shoots .40S&W Which is the same projectile, but with a pussy charge.

I very nearly fucked up my firearms certificate. My liver ALT is down from 700 to 560, so I'm a little bit out of the woods medically, and also I told my doctor that I did the damage with over-the-counter supplements because I didn't want the police phoning my doctor and being told 'He's taking unprescribed restricted medications which he purchased illegally'. Dodged that one.
    Nobody cares about your pretend firearms certificate.

Cuz
    Cuz is offline VET

The closest I've got is a pistol that shoots .40S&W Which is the same projectile, but with a pussy charge.
    Havent been able to get to the range yet will update soon.

I'm still just learning with handguns, but I'm getting pretty close groupings, but all my shots were a little to the right. I told the instructor that the sight must be off because I'm always going a little to the right, but then he showed me that my trigger finger was too far into the gun and that I was pulling the gun rightward as I pulled the trigger. I moved my trigger finger further out from the gun and my shots were more on target.

I could be a few weeks waiting on this certificate before I can fire the brand new revolver I bought.

JTP$ is offline Associate Member
    I always preferred the copper plated vs.the lead round nose. The copper plated store much better and the primers keep much longer.
    my opinion on .22 lr is that i only really care if it will feed reliably in my semi autos. i really dont expect much from the round other than something cheap to shoot alot of and get trigger practice.

that being said though, federal match .22 lr is probably my favorite brand and type of .22 ammo that i have, and i managed to buy alot of that particular round.

40 s&w is a caliber that always seemed unnecessary to me. 9mm with some spicy hollow tips is the very best option for self defense because of magazine capacity and controllability. .45 acp is cool because its a great big round, but it would not be my first choice for self defense because limited magazine capacity and its less controllable than 9mm. 10mm is also cool because its one of the most powerful standard semi auto calibers. i really need to stock up on 10mm ammo though, of all the calibers i own, thats one i only have a few hundreds rounds of.

that and 500 mag. i only have 10 rounds of 500 mag on hand

Cuz
    Cuz is offline VET
    Quote Originally Posted by JTP$ View Post
    my opinion on .22 lr is that i only really care if it will feed reliably in my semi autos. i really dont expect much from the round other than something cheap to shoot alot of and get trigger practice.

that being said though, federal match .22 lr is probably my favorite brand and type of .22 ammo that i have, and i managed to buy alot of that particular round.

40 s&w is a caliber that always seemed unnecessary to me. 9mm with some spicy hollow tips is the very best option for self defense because of magazine capacity and controllability. .45 acp is cool because its a great big round, but it would not be my first choice for self defense because limited magazine capacity and its less controllable than 9mm. 10mm is also cool because its one of the most powerful standard semi auto calibers. i really need to stock up on 10mm ammo though, of all the calibers i own, thats one i only have a few hundreds rounds of.

that and 500 mag. i only have 10 rounds of 500 mag on hand
    I have nothing against 9mm, great little round. Best thing about them right now is ammo availability and pricing.
    But when you can get a 10mm, with 16+1 capacity kinda no brainer

JTP$ is offline Associate Member
    I have nothing against 9mm, great little round. Best thing about them right now is ammo availability and pricing.
    But when you can get a 10mm, with 16+1 capacity kinda no brainer
    i hear ya man, the first pistol i bought was a glock 30 in .45 acp, but i was sold on the idea of 9mm when i realized it was half the cost of .45

10mm is going to do way more damage than either 9mm or .45 and that could be very beneficial if your attacker is high on meth or something similar.

Thread Information