Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: How do you maintain your discipline

SocioMachiavelli is offline Knowledgeable Member

How do you maintain your discipline

Disclaimer: There isn't a section on the forum that this question can fall into nicely so I have decided to post it in the lounge, however it's not for bullshitting or joking around in... I'm only interested in genuine, helpful responses.

So as the question says.... How do you maintain your discipline? I'm perhaps not asking about motivation.... as it is easy to do something you want to do. I'm talking about when you really don't want to get out of bed on a morning when it's freezing cold to hit the gym, or when your life is so busy that you want to go home and eat shit but go to the gym instead....It doesn't have to just be discipline towards the gym or eating right..... just how do you make sure shit gets done?

Gallowmere is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I’ve made everything completely habitual. There’s never a choice in what I do with training or nutrition. Once my plan is set, it doesn’t deviate for anything short of catastrophic injury.

I’ve even gone so far as to threaten my employer with my two weeks notice if at any point I miss sleep, training or meal prep due to their fuckery.
    teejey and EDCG19 like this.

BG
    BG is offline The Real Deal - AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    Bb’ing is a way of life, but can not get in the way of your life. You have to mold your training and diet around it. Missing the gym won’t hurt you so bad, might even do you some good, when I can’t get there I make sure to adjust my diet. I’ll cut all carbs and just eat my protein and when I go the next time I up my carbs. It kinda is like carb cycling and works out well, with day off, no carbs then a re-feed I have really good work outs with great pumps. Crazy to think missing the gym one day will hurt you, just adjust accordingly.

I’m trying to get out of the 7 rut right now. Why does it matter if I get my whole rotation in 7 days or 10 or 13? Something that Kel has talked to me about for years but I’m still trying to grasp. I still need to do arms and today should be my day off but I keep planning to do them today still. So dumb.

Disclaimer-BG is presenting fictitious opinions and does in no way encourage nor condone the use of any illegal substances.
    The information discussed is strictly for entertainment purposes only.

Everything was impossible until somebody did it!

I've got 99 problems......but my squat/dead ain't one !!

It doesnt matter how good looking she is, some where, some one is tired of her shit.

Light travels faster then sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Great place to start researching ! http://forums.steroid.com/anabolic-s...-database.html

Quote Originally Posted by Gallowmere View Post
    I’ve made everything completely habitual. There’s never a choice in what I do with training or nutrition. Once my plan is set, it doesn’t deviate for anything short of catastrophic injury.

I’ve even gone so far as to threaten my employer with my two weeks notice if at any point I miss sleep, training or meal prep due to their fuckery.
    This is an approach I'm currently trying to undertake, to make things habitual with less thinking.... so I've been doing a lot of research into the habits of dedicated/successful people to see what I can incorporate.

teejey is offline Junior Member
    For me its a lot for my mental. I made it a habit to eat healthier and train more and it helped me feel better in general about myself and towards others. I also think its my duty as the man of my household to be the protector and the foundation. I'm nowhere near competition level and i probably never will be I started too old and just dont have the genetics for it but I still train hard wake up early for fasted cardio and eat according to what goals I'm trying to accomplish.

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk
    Cowboymike likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by BG View Post
    Bb’ing is a way of life, but can not get in the way of your life. You have to mold your training and diet around it. Missing the gym won’t hurt you so bad, might even do you some good, when I can’t get there I make sure to adjust my diet. I’ll cut all carbs and just eat my protein and when I go the next time I up my carbs. It kinda is like carb cycling and works out well, with day off, no carbs then a re-feed I have really good work outs with great pumps. Crazy to think missing the gym one day will hurt you, just adjust accordingly.

I’m trying to get out of the 7 rut right now. Why does it matter if I get my whole rotation in 7 days or 10 or 13? Something that Kel has talked to me about for years but I’m still trying to grasp. I still need to do arms and today should be my day off but I keep planning to do them today still. So dumb.
    This is why I'm looking for methods or habits so I can have both.... the weights keep my sanity and without that I can't have a life... So I need both. I truly think that if I can have the right habits and discipline I can have both.

Quote Originally Posted by SocioMachiavelli View Post
    This is an approach I'm currently trying to undertake, to make things habitual with less thinking.... so I've been doing a lot of research into the habits of dedicated/successful people to see what I can incorporate.
    For me, every day starts and ends the same, which helps immensely. I wake up at 2:30-3:00 (I don’t use an alarm, so it varies a bit), pee, weigh myself, down 20 oz. of water with 1.5g salt and 1.5g potassium salt in it, start my coffee, and pace around while reading whatever novel I’m currently engrossed in until it’s time to leave for work, or eat then train.

At night, I’m done eating before the sun goes down (so it varies by time of year), kick back reading said novel, and off ti bed by 6:30-7:30, depending upon when I nod off.

Everything else during the day may vary a bit, but those two timeframes are constant for me.
    BG likes this.

< <Samson> > is offline Neurologically Intact
    Blog Entries
    Man,

All I came up with is "will power & "self control"

If it wasn't for either, I'd b on another bender, never looking to come back down. . . I have acquired some serious demons along the way that we call life. . . Keeping my damn near 220Lb self in check is very hard - from having motivation to hit the gym, to staying off dope & booze or controlling my temper. . . It's HARD, much harder than it sounds before you get here.

I damn near never thought I'd get to where I am today, financially, mentally or physically. . . Now I get to deal with it. . . And, I'll still take on more - I wouldn't call it living if I didn't

I was brought into the US under the age of 10, my parents had about 20 bucks to their name. We 3, lived on the streets of NY after living on the streets of Rome. . . .Both of My parents had serious mental issues arise just at about the age that I am now & severe mental illness is on both sides of my gene pool - yet, they never did drugs or drank

So here I am - figure it out. LoL

So far so good

Aside from my GI health issues kicking my ass at times. . . .I try to look for the positives, if I wasn't bed ridden for a week out of every month this year, there's no way I'd spend as much time with my son - I'd be workin, making $ . . . But, I dunno - at times it seems like we(the living) have it the hardest. My close friend who just passed sure seems to have it easier than I do, when I'm curled up on the bathroom floor for hours at a time. . .but, I get to see another day & just maybe I'll b able to get to the gym today -
    BG likes this.

Blog Entries
    For me, every day starts and ends the same
    I hear this a lot out of folks,

Not me

I can't stand knowing where my day ends and knowing where it "has" to begin.

At least now, after almost a decade of managing my own time I can't stand set schedules. . . Things to me get boring way too quickly now. . .

Quote Originally Posted by < > View Post
    I hear this a lot out of folks,

Not me

I can't stand knowing where my day ends and knowing where it "has" to begin.

At least now, after almost a decade of managing my own time I can't stand set schedules. . . Things to me get boring way too quickly now. . .
    I work in the asphalt paving industry, so my workday alone throws a shitload of variety at me. If I didn’t control certain aspects of my private schedule, consistency in anything would be pretty much impossible.

Fiskevatten is offline Member
    It's an easy answer according to me, but very hard to take on.
    - You need to want it more than all else!

Basically, if you feel that sleeping in and eating shit instead, then maybe you don't truly want that dream body you have set as a goal.
    If you truly want that dream house, but keep spending your money on booze and travel, then maybe that house isn't so special afterall.
    That is the definition...

However, it's hard to truly want something you have never had in that degree, since you have never felt the feeling of having it.
    But you have felt the feeling of having been traveling, drinking booze or sleeping in.
    In other words, it's easier to fall back on what you KNOW you like, rather than what you THINK you like.

That is why so many give up and just want to reach the destination immediately, but hate the travel in between.
    I'm one of those guys, hate the travel but love the destination...

My advice is setting up small goals to reach the big one, but here is an important note - reward yourself!
    Reward yourself and reward yourself again.
    Not in a way that will hinder your goal in anyway, but enough to keep you going.

Example - Your small goal is to save 500 USD in 1 month for 12 months, big goal is to buy your own "fix-it-yourself-corvette" that you've always wanted.
    For every month you succeed, you get a reward.
    Reward can be that your wife will blow you, give you beer and ribs for a full day and let you watch the sports - fail means no sex for a 2 weeks.

Make sure you write everything on paper and not having it in your head solely, it will help you see progress and follow through better.

HoldMyBeer is offline Productive Member
    I make everything a habit as well. Routine is key for me. To the point where if it's time for me to be at the gym, and I'm not, idk what to do and get anxious. I go to sleep the same time every night, and wake the same time every morning.
    I go to the gym first thing in the morning, and it's not a matter of getting to the gym, but a matter of getting to the caffeine (which is only 15 feet away), then I'm gtg.
    As for diet, I get certain foods every couple hours. Until I get sick of it, then I'll sub things out or switch things up. But I only keep those foods in my house so I can't stray without having to go out.
    What gets me, is the diet. The days when the routine gets fucked up, dinner can't be cooked or reheated on time, having a shitty day, or blood sugar is in the dumps. Then I just opt for a big fat fucking pizza or Chinese food. And I'm talking 4k+ calories worth easily. Those are the days that are holding me back and I need to find an answer to. If I am GOOD, a spoonful of grape jelly will raise the blood glucose quickly, then I could eat my regular meal. If I am fucked for time and need takeout, I could get a burrito bowl instead. It's just hard making those decisions

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

Proximal is offline Banned
    Great thread!

Through my 20’s & into my early 40’s it was as stated above. A habit. I’m somewhat OCD, so that helps in that regard. There was a scene in the movie “The Deerhunter” where Robert DeNiro was chastising his friends for being lax & forgetful on a hunting trip. It is actually one of my favorite lines of any movie. He held up a bullet and said do you see this? “This is this”. How f’n genius in its simplicity.

But as BG stated, there is other aspects in life that have to given their due. Maintaining a relationship with my wife often was jeopardized. There was a decade that I refused to travel/vacation because my routine was so regimented. I thank God that she was so understanding.

I’m afraid in my later years, my focus has left me to some degree, largely due to injury. Also I’ve let myself get too lax with alcohol. But in the gym & around strangers, I’m usually thought of as being in my mid 40’s, largely because of our lifestyle. I’ve got about 5 more years in my shoulder for fairly decent workouts & all of your words above have really struck a chord, TY!

This is this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiskevatten View Post
    It's an easy answer according to me, but very hard to take on.
    - You need to want it more than all else!

Basically, if you feel that sleeping in and eating shit instead, then maybe you don't truly want that dream body you have set as a goal.
    If you truly want that dream house, but keep spending your money on booze and travel, then maybe that house isn't so special afterall.
    That is the definition...

However, it's hard to truly want something you have never had in that degree, since you have never felt the feeling of having it.
    But you have felt the feeling of having been traveling, drinking booze or sleeping in.
    In other words, it's easier to fall back on what you KNOW you like, rather than what you THINK you like.

That is why so many give up and just want to reach the destination immediately, but hate the travel in between.
    I'm one of those guys, hate the travel but love the destination...

My advice is setting up small goals to reach the big one, but here is an important note - reward yourself!
    Reward yourself and reward yourself again.
    Not in a way that will hinder your goal in anyway, but enough to keep you going.

Example - Your small goal is to save 500 USD in 1 month for 12 months, big goal is to buy your own "fix-it-yourself-corvette" that you've always wanted.
    For every month you succeed, you get a reward.
    Reward can be that your wife will blow you, give you beer and ribs for a full day and let you watch the sports - fail means no sex for a 2 weeks.

Make sure you write everything on paper and not having it in your head solely, it will help you see progress and follow through better.
    I literally went out and bought some journals yesterday. I wrote my short term, mid term and long term goals down. Not just the goals but also what I was going to do to achieve them. I think this will be helpful as it will help me keep track of things.

I understand what you mean by wanting something enough, but I also believe in the 6P's..... Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

Life for me somtimes is so hectic I literally just forget to do things, so I've bought a smart watch and set reminders e.g. take this or do that at specific times and hopefully I will get into the habit of doing something without needing the reminder. If we think about our habits, they don't take effort or feel daunting.... a habit is nothing more than a behaviour which is repeated over a period of time... so I'm trying to make certain things habitual.

Thanks for the post
    Fiskevatten and BG like this.

Obs
    Obs is offline Changed Man
    Disclaimer: There isn't a section on the forum that this question can fall into nicely so I have decided to post it in the lounge, however it's not for bullshitting or joking around in... I'm only interested in genuine, helpful responses.

So as the question says.... How do you maintain your discipline? I'm perhaps not asking about motivation.... as it is easy to do something you want to do. I'm talking about when you really don't want to get out of bed on a morning when it's freezing cold to hit the gym, or when your life is so busy that you want to go home and eat shit but go to the gym instead....It doesn't have to just be discipline towards the gym or eating right..... just how do you make sure shit gets done?
    I usually maintain my discipline by answering pm's with a yes or a no regarding shit that actually matters.

I work in the asphalt paving industry, so my workday alone throws a shitload of variety at me. If I didn’t control certain aspects of my private schedule, consistency in anything would be pretty much impossible.
    This is exactly the same for me, it allows me to have some time to myself that isn't hectic and helps ground me.

Quote Originally Posted by Obs View Post
    I usually maintain my discipline by answering pm's with a yes or a no regarding shit that actually matters.
    I've never actually started a gofund me page myself, so I messaged my friend who set one up for her husband.... the one that I shared on here with admins permission to see how to do it etc and how difficult it is before replying with a Yes or No. I guess she's doing shit that actually matters like looking after him instead of replying to my message and since I haven't replied quickly enough I'll give it a no

Obs
    I've never actually started a gofund me page myself, so I messaged my friend who set one up for her husband.... the one that I shared on here with admins permission to see how to do it etc and how difficult it is before replying with a Yes or No. I guess she's doing shit that actually matters like looking after him instead of replying to my message and since I haven't replied quickly enough I'll give it a no
    All you needed to say was that you had never started a page. I dont do third party advice.

BG
    This is why I'm looking for methods or habits so I can have both.... the weights keep my sanity and without that I can't have a life... So I need both. I truly think that if I can have the right habits and discipline I can have both.
    You can absolutely......for sure. Just dont let it become over bearing. Diet is the first thing, thats the hardest and like I said train we are most of the time over training, if you really broke it down and took into account your CNS and recovery. Diet though, that has to be dialed in for everything to work, get your diet 100% figured and everything else is cake.............

Disclaimer-BG is presenting fictitious opinions and does in no way encourage nor condone the use of any illegal substances.

It doesnt matter how good looking she is, some where, some one is tired of her shit.

Light travels faster then sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Great place to start researching ! http://forums.steroid.com/anabolic-s...-database.html

BG
    For me, every day starts and ends the same, which helps immensely. I wake up at 2:30-3:00 (I don’t use an alarm, so it varies a bit), pee, weigh myself, down 20 oz. of water with 1.5g salt and 1.5g potassium salt
    I do the water but like this idea, what type of salt?

You can absolutely......for sure. Just dont let it become over bearing. Diet is the first thing, thats the hardest and like I said train we are most of the time over training, if you really broke it down and took into account your CNS and recovery. Diet though, that has to be dialed in for everything to work, get your diet 100% figured and everything else is cake.............
    It's not the creation of a diet that's an issue, it's life getting in the way of said diet lol. So that's why I'm trying to form habits which allow this.
    BG likes this.

I do the water but like this idea, what type of salt?
    I used iodized forever, but switched to pink salt for taste preference, since I have incorporated whole cranberries into my diet to cover the iodine. The potassium is just old fashioned NoSalt.
    BG likes this.

Proximal is offline Banned
    It's not the creation of a diet that's an issue, it's life getting in the way of said diet lol. So that's why I'm trying to form habits which allow this.
    There is ALWAYS something that will get in the way. Even habits won’t protect you from that. It’s ignoring what gets in the way - they are not there, they fail to exist.

When I was in my late teens and early 20’s I used to find labor that made me feel that no human being was working harder than me at that moment in time. Then, I shut everything else out: temperature, humidity, blistering sun, buckets of sweat (kept my wallet in a baggie at times to keep it dry), thirst, pain & fatigue. Time failed to exist. The mind-set was glorious, it was like being in a trance. That personally helped me through school, life & this.
    SocioMachiavelli likes this.

Obs
    Type A personality (extreme), natural discipline.
    The rest is just punishing the weak guy in me I hate the most.

BG
    I used iodized forever, but switched to pink salt for taste preference, since I have incorporated whole cranberries into my diet to cover the iodine. The potassium is just old fashioned NoSalt.
    ok. I started using pink a while back for cooking. I’ll have to start low with it because salt affects my bp. Thanks I appreciate it

RuhlFreak55 is offline Purveyor of Thor's Hammer
    The discipline became automatic longggggg ago.
    BG and Obs like this.

BG
    Quote Originally Posted by RuhlFreak55 View Post
    The more I think the it seems like I might take for granted how it became normal so long ago. Seems natural.

Blog Entries

To a point,

But, it's still a battle
    Proximal likes this.

HoldMyBeer is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Obs View Post
    Type A personality (extreme), natural discipline.
    The rest is just punishing the weak guy in me I hate the most.
    Maybe I need to start taking this approach. Fat kid me keeps winning the "eat a 3lb pizza or go home and cook?" fight.
    I blame the place that makes awesome 3lb 18" New York style pizzas down the road for 20 bucks.....
    Damn it that's fat me reasoning again...

Obs likes this.

RuhlFreak55 is offline Purveyor of Thor's Hammer
    Quote Originally Posted by < <Samson> > View Post
    To a point,

But, it's still a battle
    Individual work outs are a battle....but getting to them, eating well, etc.....no, very easy. But I also don't add things to my life that would detract from them in any way.

Blog Entries
    Individual work outs are a battle....but getting to them, eating well, etc.....no, very easy. But I also don't add things to my life that would detract from them in any way.
    I do, those things r unfortunately way more fun than the gym - to me, at least
    Proximal likes this.

EDCG19 is offline Senior Member

Discipline is freedom
    Jocko willinck podcast is really good

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    < <Samson> > likes this.

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    Just read and follow Bio’s thread.

It is the definition of discipline and consistency!
    Capebuffalo and EDCG19 like this.

Obs
    Quote Originally Posted by HoldMyBeer View Post
    Maybe I need to start taking this approach. Fat kid me keeps winning the "eat a 3lb pizza or go home and cook?" fight.
    I blame the place that makes awesome 3lb 18" New York style pizzas down the road for 20 bucks.....

Battling fat is not my issue.
    I had to turn on motivational music and get angry to eat my chicken and rice last night.

AR's King Silabolin is offline Castle Power

U just set your training schedule some days infront. Already then u should get the feeling if it will be ok. Focus on an exersice which u gonna hit hard. Look forward to it. Then ur programming your brain to be ready for it. And when u wake up that morning, ur like a robot nomatter weatherconditions.

Same for diett. Dinner ?..yeah..im up for 300 g carbs from pasta and chicken. And im gonna watch Eddie Hall daily eating routine before WSM 2016 when i eat.
    Or..nah..i feel for a pizza today...i need it for happiness.
    Point is...set it up. Then it will be much easier to just do it.

Sent fra min SM-N9005 via Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by HoldMyBeer View Post

Yea I think that approach helped me in the beginning
    Once you hate yourself so much you want to change and do better

It's all about self control rather than only discipline

Discipline/motivation = fuel to keep going
    Self control and mastery = the key to everything

Obs and HoldMyBeer like this.

Quote Originally Posted by EDCG19 View Post
    Discipline/motivation = fuel to keep going
    Self control and mastery = the key to everything
    This attitude is precisely why Stan Efferding is so big on the statement “if you took your dedication, knowledge and focus for the training and nutrition and applied it to a business venture, you could be a millionaire in a decade”.

Pretty strong words from a guy who’s repeatedly done just that, in about five different areas of commerce.
    Obs and EDCG19 like this.

This attitude is precisely why Stan Efferding is so big on the statement “if you took your dedication, knowledge and focus for the training and nutrition and applied it to a business venture, you could be a millionaire in a decade”.

Pretty strong words from a guy who’s repeatedly done just that, in about five different areas of commerce.
    100%

That's what most business people say
    I've met these people and it's all about that unstoppable focus. They focus somehow and nothing can stop them..doesnt matter about dedication or motivation they just get shit done

Quote Originally Posted by EDCG19 View Post
    100%

That's what most business people say
    I've met these people and it's all about that unstoppable focus. They focus somehow and nothing can stop them..doesnt matter about dedication or motivation they just get shit done

Look at the accomplishments of elon musk and look at his face when the interviewer asked him "did you think I need to give this up" just look at his facial response immediately after being asked that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyGqMZQAMio

Thats the thing I think about motivation now..... it's bullshit and unhelpful. I've been watching a lot of videos on my commute to University and a woman points out... It's bullshit... it only helps you when you want to do something....discipline on the other hand helps you get shit done when you don't want to do....

Hence the reason behind this thread... my lifes so hectic at the minute.... I decided to ask for tips on how to keep my discipline.... not just in training or diet... but life in general

Hence the reason behind this thread... my lifes so hectic at the minute.... I decided to ask for tips on how to keep my discipline.... not just in training or diet... but life in general
    Yea I think some of us are in a similar boat
    I don't care what anyone says the older you get the more shit you have to deal with and the tougher it gets. After a certain point the challenges and shit we face in life I think they're there to just push us on this journey
    I wont say I'm perfect with my dedication either but I know when its something important and has value you'll find a way to get it done

I think some people forget you only need to do something each and every day for all the changes to add up in your life and that becomes your new habit pattern or your "coping mechanism" when SHTF what will you do bitch and moan or adapt and change

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information