• 1 Post By jackfrost88
  • 2 Post By EDCG19
  • 4 Post By GearHeaded
  • 2 Post By BG
  • 1 Post By Proximal

Thread: New years Resolutioners

jackfrost88 is offline Associate Member

New years Resolutioners

Okay, so there are a lot of New Years resolutioners out at this time of year. Some people say to support them in their efforts and others hate them. For me, I'll always help someone who asks for it and won't belittle people for trying - no point being nasty.

Secretly, however, I can't stand the lack of dedication to a goal these people have. It's 2 weeks for some and they give up until next year and waste a bunch of money on a gym membership. No effort in learning how to work out or even doing 3 days a week for over a month.

On top of that, the parking lot / equipment is always crowded with people who have no idea what they are doing. Many of them stare at you as they have never set foot in a gym or seen people work out.

I wonder if they can dedicate themselves to succeed at anything (work/family/goals) if going to the gym for a month is too much.

Being a bit harsh and I hope they stick to it - but every year like clockwork they come, they quit, and they return.

Been seeing a lot of these "don't judge the resolution crowd trying to better themselves" on facebook and this made me think that they sort of deserve being judged. Because if you didn't quit you wouldn't be a resolutioner any more.

Your thoughts / any funny stories?

Obs
    Obs is offline Changed Man
    I saw a story about an overweight woman at the gym
    Who had no clue what she was doing and was obiously nervous and didnt want to be there.

She was using a machine wrong and two guys were laughing. They recorded her and she realized they were and ran to the bathroom crying.

The person who wrote the story followed her, consoled her, and reported the assholes.

I thought about this a while.

I would have gone to her in private and consoled her.
    But I would have had a bathroom visit with the assholes.

People like that I dont feel bad for any harm that comes to them.

Idiots that do that shit dont just ruin people from gyms. The hurt a heart and soul for life and make people jaded as well as giving us all a bad name.

I think my new years resoulution is to choke the fuck out of a bully this year and make them beg for their life.
    almostgone, Proximal and EDCG19 like this.

Obs
    One positive... If I can catch a dick at the gym when the owner is there he will vouch for me.
    Gym owners all see bullies the same way, costing them money.

Quote Originally Posted by jackfrost88 View Post
    Okay, so there are a lot of New Years resolutioners out at this time of year. Some people say to support them in their efforts and others hate them. For me, I'll always help someone who asks for it and won't belittle people for trying - no point being nasty.

Secretly, however, I can't stand the lack of dedication to a goal these people have. It's 2 weeks for some and they give up until next year and waste a bunch of money on a gym membership. No effort in learning how to work out or even doing 3 days a week for over a month.

On top of that, the parking lot / equipment is always crowded with people who have no idea what they are doing. Many of them stare at you as they have never set foot in a gym or seen people work out.

I wonder if they can dedicate themselves to succeed at anything (work/family/goals) if going to the gym for a month is too much.

Being a bit harsh and I hope they stick to it - but every year like clockwork they come, they quit, and they return.

Been seeing a lot of these "don't judge the resolution crowd trying to better themselves" on facebook and this made me think that they sort of deserve being judged. Because if you didn't quit you wouldn't be a resolutioner any more.

Your thoughts / any funny stories?
    That's terrible but there is a huge difference between bullying and just personally judging someone. Just because someone is new or makes different choices, doesn't mean you personally hate them. you can still make fun of their choices without hurting them. Those guys should 100% be kicked out of the gym though - no excuse for that
    Obs likes this.

Obs
    Quote Originally Posted by jackfrost88 View Post
    That's terrible but there is a huge difference between bullying and just personally judging someone. Just because someone is new or makes different choices, doesn't mean you personally hate them. you can still make fun of their choices without hurting them. Those guys should 100% be kicked out of the gym though - no excuse for that
    Indeed.
    I don't stick up for lazy people but I have come to realize a lot about personality types and the ways people vary.

Their weakness is their body and health.
    My weakness is I am an impatient person who is not good at making friends, socializing, my health, and being able to be calm.

If they are trying they will get a pat on the back if anything. Its a lot harder for some people to stay in the gym or even go once just because of the way they are wired.

I cant blame them because I am flawed in ways that literally keep me awake at night.
    jackfrost88 and EDCG19 like this.

Gallowmere is offline Knowledgeable Member
    As a former fatty who once knew precisely dick about nutrition and training, I can relate to the resolutioners on one hand. On the other, it was actually indirect mockery (a blog post called Your Fat is Unequivocally Your Fault) that got me to unfuck myself.

Due to my “plan and attack” nature, I never really had anything worthy of mockery when I went into the gym for the first time. I knew what I wanted, went straight to the barbell and was pulling double bodyweight (315 at 155) within three weeks.

I feel like people would be less prone to douchebag fuckery and more likely to stick with it, if they’d just start with the fundamentals and go from there. Gym culture pisses me off in many ways, because we allow the power racks and barbells to be treated as “advanced” tools, when in reality, they are the foundation and where everyone who doesn’t have severe preexisting injuries should start. Can’t do a proper squat? Weighted lunges. Can’t do a proper deadlift from the floor? Rack pulls or RDLs. Can’t do a pullup? Fatman rows.

Everyone can start somewhere with the iron, but we allow people to go in believing that machines are where they should start. Bullshit. Machines are only useful once you’ve learned muscular control, and I will always feel that’s best taught from a whole system foundation. The body moves as a unit, and it takes time to learn how to isolate it’s parts, and really, your average gym rat’s goals (something about looking good naked) will never require them to do that shit anyway.
    Obs likes this.

Ernst is offline Borderline Personality
    Who cares? They'll all be gone by February.

As a former smoker who promised to quit every year for like a decade I have a little sympathy.

I'm never going to hate on someone for being too fat or skinny in the gym when they at least showed up.

Out of that whole New Years horde one of them will stick with it. That person gets that real, honest, hard-earned respect ... from themselves. They don't need yours or mine anymore.
    Proximal likes this.

almostgone is offline AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Obs View Post
    Who had no clue what she was doing and was obiously nervous and didnt want to be there.

She was using a machine wrong and two guys were laughing. They recorded her and she realized they were and ran to the bathroom crying.

The person who wrote the story followed her, consoled her, and reported the assholes.

Idiots that do that shit dont just ruin people from gyms. The hurt a heart and soul for life and make people jaded as well as giving us all a bad name.

I think my new years resoulution is to choke the fuck out of a bully this year and make them beg for their life.
    Absolutely zero f-in patience for bullies and disrespectful losers.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

On a positive note - a lot of new nice a$$ in the gym and young uni chicks on break haha
    Obs likes this.

EDCG19 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Obs View Post

Yeah, thats sounds a bit fucked up for someone to treat others that way. These guys sound kind of young to me or i hope they were young because any adult acting that way is a fool
    Really disgusting behavior tbh
    Proximal and Obs like this.

GearHeaded is offline BANNED
    as the owner of quality 800 member gym, I have a slightly different perspective on the resolutioners crowd. My goal here isn't to sign them up and take their money . I'm a hands on owner. I create the culture of the gym. its my "house" and its where I spend hours a day training myself. and I don't want to train in a crappy negative environment.

so , me and my wife offer a free training session to everyone that signs up. this benefits the new member of course, but also it benefits everyone else. as I teach the 'newbie' proper gym etiquette , what equipment and machines to use to get a workout in (so they are not jumping all over the gym gettin in peoples way). essentially they get a gym 101 class and that allows me and my wife to set the culture and get people on a good path.
    it also again is beneficial to the existing members to not have 'lost souls' wondering around the gym and gettin in the way this time of year.

I also try to help the new member get onto a training program that will work for them and hope that get results as this leads to member retention.

its a win win win for everyone involved. Unfortunately, a lot of gyms are corporate and don't have hands on gym rat owners like my gym and so they can't do things like this
    Last edited by GearHeaded; 01-08-2019 at 12:26 PM.
    Proximal, Ernst, EDCG19 and 1 others like this.

BG
    BG is offline The Real Deal - AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    As long as they don’t get in my way to each their own
    EDCG19 and almostgone like this.

Disclaimer-BG is presenting fictitious opinions and does in no way encourage nor condone the use of any illegal substances.
    The information discussed is strictly for entertainment purposes only.

Everything was impossible until somebody did it!

I've got 99 problems......but my squat/dead ain't one !!

It doesnt matter how good looking she is, some where, some one is tired of her shit.

Light travels faster then sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Great place to start researching ! http://forums.steroid.com/anabolic-s...-database.html

Proximal is offline Banned
    I just say, give them credit for making a positive attempt. Their resolution could very well have been, “well, what’s the point, I’m so far gone & it’s going to take so damn long and it’s probably not going to work, so I’ll take the gym membership $ and use it for pizzas and beer”.

It’s tough to step into a gym when you perceive that almost everyone else there has their shit together & knows what they are doing. And the reality is, you will have the a-holes that smirk and laugh. It takes real balls to make the attempt.

GH, that’s a great approach man. I won’t be surprised that in this era of exploding baby-boomers that someone doesn’t come out with a “senior-friendly” gym or one that encourages the obese. It definitely will help them to work out amongst similar peers as compared to youthful hard-bodies.

But with that said, new member or not, just do NOT sit your butt at a machine and play with your phone.
    Obs likes this.

Thread Information