Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By The God Himself
  • 1 Post By ghettoboyd
  • 1 Post By Mooseman33

Thread: Pink Floyd

The God Himself is offline Knowledgeable Member

Pink Floyd

Hello guys,
    Is there anybody out there with an obsession to Floyd like me? We can have a chat about our favorite songs and how did they change our lives.
    EDCG19 likes this.

Mooseman33 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    the single greatest group of all times.

Pearl jam is my favorite, however Pink floyd is hands down the greatest of all times.

I can talk for days about them

Obs
    Obs is offline Changed Man
    Beetleguese

The God Himself is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooseman33 View Post
    the single greatest group of all times.

Pearl jam is my favorite, however Pink floyd is hands down the greatest of all times.

I can talk for days about them
    What is your favorite song?

Blog Entries
    David Gilmores guitar sound/tone is the greatest of all time imho...
    Mooseman33 likes this.

darktime is offline New Member
    I've never really been able to get into them - I'm up for it but don't know where to start. Whats a good album to dive into?

Beetlegeuse is offline Knowledgeable Member
    My first college roommate was a music major. He'd go out every night smoking pot with his music major buddies -- one of them was a guy everybody called "Electric-Man" ('E-Man' for short) because he did acid 24/7, which tells you the measure of the crowd my roomie hung out with -- come back to our room at 2:30 a.m., borrow "my" popcorn popper to heat up a can of chili (for the munchies) and put Pink's Umma Gumma album (yes, real vinyl) on the stereo. He wore out the grooves on the track for Careful with that axe, Eugene.

I was always eat up with the soundtrack from More. Play that driving quiet country roads late on a warm spring night with the windows rolled down and you''d swear you were stoned and flying, even if you're were stone cold sober and driving 10 mph. I wore out three 8-tracks of that album. Literally. For some odd reason, that was the only format I ever could find it in. I still haven't found it on vinyl but I do have it on CD.

I never got to see the eponymous film it was created for until decades later when bootleg copies found their way to the Internet. It's about a bunch of Eurotrash kids slumming in some rundown seaside bungalow in Ibiza and perpetually looking to score more drugs. It's a rock 'n roll film noir because it's obvious from the opening scene that everybody in the film is going to die from an OD, and sure enough, they do. Utterly bleak and depressing. I wanted to slit my wrists with a chain saw after watching it. Lucky for me the soundtrack was already entrenched in my psyche before I watched that abortion on celluloid, else it might have lost its joy for me.

So my advice is to buy the soundtrack and pretend the movie it was written for never got made. The band had fuck-all to do with the film except the soundtrack, and it was their first work after Syd went to the rubber room.

Oh yeah, the general ringtone on my cellphone is the sound of the operator dialing the long distance number from Young Lust. It starts with the dialtone beeps, then I looped the unanswered ringing for 30 seconds or so. Strangers hear my ringtone and look at me like they know me and ask, "Is that Pink Floyd?"

I was a big fan of BBC's Top Gear TV series when it still was hosted by Moe, Larry and Curly (better known as Jezza, Captain Slow and The Hamster, who have moved to Amazon and have a new series called The Grand Tour). From time to time they'd want to road test some really rare and historic car, like a new Ferrari FXX or an original 250 Testa Rossa, and the Ferrari factory HATED Top Gear because Clarkson is the automotive Don Rickles. He mocks everything (because he can), and Ferrari DOES NOT advertise. The spend all their advertising money on their racing program. So when anyone in the press speaks ill of one of their cars, they have no platform for rebuttal. So they wouldn't risk Clarkson trash-talking one of their cars.

So guess who almost always had whatever car it was the Top Gear crew were spoiling to drive?

Nick Mason. He's one of the world's great car collectors. Only he doesn't collect them to museum-fy them, he collects them so he (or someone) can enjoy them as they were meant to be. On the road.

So for me there's no escaping Pink Floyd. If you walked up to me on the street at random and asked me how relevant or how influential they had been, or how relevant they are to me today, I'd foo-foo the idea. But on further reflection, that obviously would be pure, unadulterated bullshit.

Now if you'll excuse me, it's time for me to put on my Syd Barret jammies and turn in for the night.

Oh, and darktime, Pink's magnum opus was Dark Side of the Moon. Not necessarily the easiest to swallow in one bite, but it was their biggest commercial success (it spent 741 weeks on Bilboard's tops in sales charts). Definitely worth a listen.
    Last edited by Beetlegeuse; 03-15-2019 at 04:29 PM.

Mooseman33 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    i do like gilmore on vocals over waters
    ghettoboyd likes this.

Thread Information