DeeCee112 is offline Associate Member

Painting Interior with paint sprayer

So I bought a new house and the deal was an as is estate sale. Got a good deal but the house was squatted in by a woman and 5 teenage bums. Needless to say it's rough. Great structure and bones but the floors all gotta go. Heavily smoked in with dated now yellow popcorn ceilings.

So I scraped and sanded the popcorn off and my plan was to buy an electric paint sprayer and prime the entire interior ceilings and walls, then conventional roll the walls. Thought process was floors are going anyway now's the time to use a sprayer when there will be minimal prep work and the family is staying in the old home we don't have renters coming for a month. I have 3 or so weeks to get this all done.

I bought a mid grade magnum x5 sprayer from home depot. After spraying a sloppy gallon I realized I had to thin it. Finally got the hang of it but I still literally went through almost gallons per mid sized room ceilings and walls. It took me no time at all, especially for the ceilings which are a total bitch to roll but I can't afford to plow through 2 gallons a room at 50 bucks a barrell. So I decided to use it for the ceilings only and eat the extra cost for the time and to save the shoulders.

Any painters here with tips? I knew coming into it I'd be going through more paint but is this much more normal?

Couchlockd is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeCee112 View Post
    So I bought a new house and the deal was an as is estate sale. Got a good deal but the house was squatted in by a woman and 5 teenage bums. Needless to say it's rough. Great structure and bones but the floors all gotta go. Heavily smoked in with dated now yellow popcorn ceilings.

So I scraped and sanded the popcorn off and my plan was to buy an electric paint sprayer and prime the entire interior ceilings and walls, then conventional roll the walls. Thought process was floors are going anyway now's the time to use a sprayer when there will be minimal prep work and the family is staying in the old home we don't have renters coming for a month. I have 3 or so weeks to get this all done.

I bought a mid grade magnum x5 sprayer from home depot. After spraying a sloppy gallon I realized I had to thin it. Finally got the hang of it but I still literally went through almost gallons per mid sized room ceilings and walls. It took me no time at all, especially for the ceilings which are a total bitch to roll but I can't afford to plow through 2 gallons a room at 50 bucks a barrell. So I decided to use it for the ceilings only and eat the extra cost for the time and to save the shoulders.

Any painters here with tips? I knew coming into it I'd be going through more paint but is this much more normal?
    A gallon or 2 of primer or paint is par for the course.

Get contractor grade paint, fuck using the consumer brand for 30% more voer gallon.

I recommend Benjamin Moore super spec. It's same quality as Benjamin Moore regal line at half the cost

Proximal is offline Banned
    I used to paint houses, but that's all behind me now. Damn, witness protection is something

Quote Originally Posted by Couchlockd View Post
    A gallon or 2 of primer or paint is par for the course.

Get contractor grade paint, fuck using the consumer brand for 30% more voer gallon.

I recommend Benjamin Moore super spec. It's same quality as Benjamin Moore regal line at half the cost
    Yeah I usually go for Benjamin but got a home depot gift card to use. This Behr is the worst primer I've ever used, thick as hell did not spread well at all and was 175 for 5 gallons anyway. I rolled a ceiling and it was a nightmare, talk about shoulder workout.

Going to buy some Benjy ceiling paint and see how that runs through it instead. Even if it does use 1/4 more or something it will still be worth it. I think I can do 2500 sq Ft of ceilings in about 3 hrs with this rig as opposed to 3 days.

Quote Originally Posted by Proximal View Post
    I used to paint houses, but that's all behind me now. Damn, witness protection is something
    I don't know how you guys do it man! This is the 4th house I'm painting and I don't know if I'm gonna make it through lol. At least this is the first one I'm actually going to live in and enjoy instead of painting to sell.

Couchlockd is offline Senior Member
    Yeah I usually go for Benjamin but got a home depot gift card to use. This Behr is the worst primer I've ever used, thick as hell did not spread well at all and was 175 for 5 gallons anyway. I rolled a ceiling and it was a nightmare, talk about shoulder workout.

Going to buy some Benjy ceiling paint and see how that runs through it instead. Even if it does use 1/4 more or something it will still be worth it. I think I can do 2500 sq Ft of ceilings in about 3 hrs with this rig as opposed to 3 days.
    Use flotrol to thin the latex paint.

I worked at a family owned Benny Moore dealer since I was 15.5 till 27 years old

Coronado is great if you can find it still

Coronado grip and seal primer is the best shit I've ever seen.

You can prime over gloss polyurethane and bathroom wall tile and it won't chip off.

Proximal is offline Banned
    I don't know how you guys do it man! This is the 4th house I'm painting and I don't know if I'm gonna make it through lol. At least this is the first one I'm actually going to live in and enjoy instead of painting to sell.
    It helps if you really like it. It’s really more of an acquired taste.
    Last edited by Proximal; 04-07-2019 at 07:07 PM.

Thread Information