• 2 Post By Beetlegeuse
  • 1 Post By Proximal
  • 1 Post By Beetlegeuse
  • 1 Post By Proximal

Thread: Deadwood!

Proximal is offline Banned

Deadwood!

Hell Fucking Yes! May 31st!
    i_SLAM_cougars and Cowboymike like this.

Cowboymike is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Lol.. I actually didn’t even know about this show... and I just Lol because I literally just downloaded all the episodes to binge watch this week after watching the trailer... I was like how dafug did I miss this show?!?
    Proximal likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboymike View Post
    Lol.. I actually didn’t even know about this show... and I just Lol because I literally just downloaded all the episodes to binge watch this week after watching the trailer... I was like how dafug did I miss this show?!?
    Honestly, it might be my favorite TV show of all-time.
    Cowboymike likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Proximal View Post
    Honestly, it might be my favorite TV show of all-time.
    I’m so hooked lol ... it’s bad ass so far
    Proximal likes this.

EDCG19 is offline Senior Member
    Great show, I watched it years ago when it came out but from what i remembered it kept me hooked for some time
    HBO doing great things from that early 2000s era of TV
    Cowboymike and Proximal like this.

Quote Originally Posted by EDCG19 View Post
    Great show, I watched it years ago when it came out but from what i remembered it kept me hooked for some time
    HBO doing great things from that early 2000s era of TV
    I just started season 2 episode 1 earlier... man I’m hooked!
    Proximal likes this.

Al is such a bad-ass.
    Cowboymike likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Proximal View Post
    Al is such a bad-ass.
    I love that they made his character such a badass but with a slight merciful and loving streak within him... just a man of his time and good at making things work to gain position and wealth... after he relieved the minister of his suffering, he had me hooked 100% on loving his character. He’s fucking rad lol

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboymike View Post
    I love that they made his character such a badass but with a slight merciful and loving streak within him... just a man of his time and good at making things work to gain position and wealth... after he relieved the minister of his suffering, he had me hooked 100% on loving his character. He’s fucking rad lol
    Agree with everything!

The scene with the minister was really moving. The minister's gradual deterioration was really sad. SO many amazing characters in the show.
    Cowboymike likes this.

Beetlegeuse is offline Knowledgeable Member
    You know, I didn't give it much hope, figured it wouldn't be a pimple on the original's ass, but it looks like they've got all the major cast members back from the original (except the ones who were killed off in the series or died fo realz since then), and David Milch is the executive producer, so maybe I was premature (not that this would be the first time).

Milch is the genius whose writing made the original so brilliant (IMHO, the best "TV" show ever made. If you haven't seen the "extras" from the DVD set, you should scrounge them up. One of them is about Milch's writing style.

Hemingway rewrote the ending to A Farewell to Arms 39 times. That's the way Millch was with Deadwood, he'd agonize over every last word, rewrite every sentence multiple times, speaking them aloud to try them on for size. Until it had exactly the impact he wanted.

He wrote lying on a palate of quilts on the floor. There were chairs scattered around the room and cast members were invited to attend the session and offer suggestions, especially if where it concerned their character's lines. The unsung hero of this was his personal stenographer, who was responsible for following all Milch's ramblings, and the back-and-forth between he and the cast, and understanding from Milch's nuances how he wanted the finished product to read without him having to stop and take time to tell her.

But he was such a perfectionist and it was such a time consuming process that the cast often never saw the script until they walked onto the set for filming.

The thing about "Swingen," and this shows Milch's brilliant character development, is that as "de facto" mayor of Deadwood, Al was responsible for keeping the town profitable but keeping just enough of a lid on the violence accompanying the prosperity that the federal government would not be provoked into coming in and annexing the camp. Which would bring in "civilization" and all the trappings that come with it ...to the ruination of a freewheeling frontier goldrush camp.

So there was method to his madness.

The first three episodes had me hooked because Keith Carradine delivers the most humanizing portrayal of JB Hickok I can imagine. He's getting old and just bone tired of being a famous pistolero and having to sleep with a revolver under his pillow, but he's got no other skills that will earn him a living sufficient to keep his new wife in the style he thinks she deserves.

Last I counted there were at least eight actors who were regulars in Deadwood that had at least a brief role on Sons of Anarchy. They're like toadstools, they've all gone on to get so much acting work, they keep popping up everywhere.
    Last edited by Beetlegeuse; 05-11-2019 at 05:54 PM.
    Cowboymike and Proximal like this.

Deadwood gave me a liking for Timothy Olyphant's work, but he really runs hot and cold. I just found out about Netflix's "Santa Clarita Diet," so I downloaded the first season off TPB. But I couldn't last the first episode. Absolute shit, in no small part because it has Drew Barrymore in it, who only has a job because her family is Hollywood royalty. She's fugly, she can't act, and she has a lisp.

I notice Santa Clarita already is into its third season. But I note that "The Curse of Oak Island" is in its sixth. And if you think there's anything of value in the bottom of that hole but it's taking them more than five seasons to discover it, Bill Engvall has a sign for you ...

... so having evaded cancellation for 'X' number of seasons hardly speaks for the "higher qualities" of a given show. As per H.L. Mencken, “No one in this world, so far as I know -- and I have searched the record for years, and employed agents to help me -- has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people.”

And who was it decided that all actors should have lisps? It's especially apparent now that there's a pro-lisp bias because at least half the cast of Game of Thrones (another piece of ca-ca) have lisps or other speech impediments. Whatever happened to the time when all actors were supposed to be paragons of elocution and diction?

I watch a lot of BBC stuff and their shows have become lisp-o-thons. Makes me wonder if the lisping is incorporated into the acting audition or if it's a separate audition. And whether they list the varieties of lisps they can do (frontal, lateral, nasal, San Francisco, Key West, Brighton, etc) on their CV. Maybe they flash a "lisping gang sign" in their head shot photo to show that they're lisp-enabled.

I smell a conspiracy. A pro-lisp conspiracy. F'rinstance, did you ever notice Algore has a lisp, but only when he wants to? And usually when he's speaking to a metrosexual audience? I guess it's like Spain's famed "Castilian" lisp, a complete affectation, like Sheikh Obama's (piss be upon him) Ivy-League whistle (I considered sending him a tube of Poli-Grip so see if that would help it). It's an unprompted shiboleth you offer to prove in advance that you're one of the anointed. Lisping when you don't have to is "virtue signaling;" it shows you're down for the sh'truggle with the homosexual community.

Anyway, Olyphant needs to stay in his lane and stop trying to impress the SJW crowd. Because like all radical movements with no defined end-game, only a program of ceaselessly advancing radicalism, they eventually run out of people to cow, turn inward and consume their own. And he doesn't want to be on the menu when that happens.

God, don't get me started on f'n Oak Island.

With that said, I watch every damn episode.
    Cowboymike likes this.

Now there's the search for WWII gold, digging holes in the Philippines or some such god-forsaken jungle for gold that the Japanese supposedly buried when the coming end was obvious.

The thing is, what the viewers don't seem to realize, is that because of production lag, there's not a snowflake's chance in hell of them finding anything and getting it on the air before it'll be all over the Internet. So much for all the suspense.
    Cowboymike likes this.

Trying to savor it like a great meal. So far, KICKING ASS.
    Cowboymike likes this.

Major disappointment. It was more a TV parody of a classic film than a movie paying homage to a classic TV series. Wasn't worth the wait.

Timothy Olyphant with a handlebar mustache looks too damn much like Kurt Russell.

The best part -- practically the only highlight -- was Olyphant killing Patrick Swayze's brother.

Quote Originally Posted by Beetlegeuse View Post
    Major disappointment. It was more a TV parody of a classic film than a movie paying homage to a classic TV series. Wasn't worth the wait.

Timothy Olyphant with a handlebar mustache looks too damn much like Kurt Russell.

The best part -- practically the only highlight -- was Olyphant killing Patrick Swayze's brother.
    I'm sorry B. I respect your intellect & opinion, but not in this case.

Have seen series finales fail since MASH, Seinfeld & then Sapranos fail in my years. Not this one.

Thread Information