• 2 Post By SampsonandDelilah
  • 3 Post By Cuz
  • 2 Post By Beetlegeuse
  • 1 Post By almostgone

Thread: World’s strongest man competions

Cuz
    Cuz is offline VET

World’s strongest man competions

Im drifting away from bodybuilding and evolving into the strong man sport. I just like it better. Anybody else follow the WSM?

I tried an exercise today for shits and giggles and fuck.. my first time was brutal. It was the hammer hold. Damn those guys are strong lol. Some guys are holding that over a minute.
    Also looking into grip strength, gonna get me some of them captain of crush grippers.
    SampsonandDelilah likes this.

yeahbuddy289 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Miss the days of the met-rx worlds strongest man competitions on espn every year. Was something I always looked forward to and definitely help get me into the iron game. I was young but I’ll never forget Mariusz Pudzianowski. Guy was unbeatable and was the only guy with sub 12% body fat lol freak of nature.
    Cuz and Test Monsterone like this.

Gallowmere is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Honestly, I love Strongman, but can’t be fucked to watch it.
    It’s one of those sports where you really need to find local competitions and participate to get the full experience. My girlfriend absolutely loves going to the events with me as well. I’d put it up there with Highland Games as a “if you give a shit about strength sports, you need to actually try this yourself before you die” kind of thing.
    Cuz and SampsonandDelilah like this.

Like anyone else I love bodybuilding but I gave up on it years ago.
    Part of the reason is the insane amount of drugs the guys have to take. Synthol (or whatever) is another put off. Same thing with implants.
    I also think the look may have peaked with Lee Haney.

Anyway, I also think that first and foremost a man should be strong. Looks should come second.
    While I do care about how I look, strength is my primary goal.

That being said...
    Powerlifting is awesome to compete in but boring as hell to watch.
    It also takes far less drugs than bodybuilding.

Strongman training is fun if you can find a gym with some of the equipment.
    Strongman is much more exciting than powerlifting to watch.
    Truth be told, strongmen are much more athletic and well rounded than powerlifters. Stronger too.
    Like powerlifting, it requires less drugs than bodybuilding.

I would say try a powerlifting meet or strongman competition.

Cuz
    Cuz is offline VET
    Quote Originally Posted by The Deadlifting Dog View Post
    Like anyone else I love bodybuilding but I gave up on it years ago.
    Part of the reason is the insane amount of drugs the guys have to take. Synthol (or whatever) is another put off. Same thing with implants.
    I also think the look may have peaked with Lee Haney.

Anyway, I also think that first and foremost a man should be strong. Looks should come second.
    While I do care about how I look, strength is my primary goal.

That being said...
    Powerlifting is awesome to compete in but boring as hell to watch.
    It also takes far less drugs than bodybuilding.

Strongman training is fun if you can find a gym with some of the equipment.
    Strongman is much more exciting than powerlifting to watch.
    Truth be told, strongmen are much more athletic and well rounded than powerlifters. Stronger too.
    Like powerlifting, it requires less drugs than bodybuilding.

I would say try a powerlifting meet or strongman competition.
    Very good points. The drugs are what im trying to get away from, funny you mention that. Health is always key

Test Monsterone is offline Anabolic Member
    The History channel had a great series with some of the worlds strongest men, very entertaining, a lot of humor. They travelled across the country doing all kinds of competitions like carrying a grand piano, lifting cars, etc. I watched the episodes on YouTube.

Marius Pudzianowski is what got me into strongman. Back around 2003-2004. I think it’s very entertaining to watch. I think bodybuilding competitions are kinda boring, unless it’s female physique

The two current worlds strongest men, Hafthor Bjornson and Eddie Hall are boxing next year, btw.
    Cuz likes this.

wango is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuz View Post
    Health is always key
    Couldn’t agree more. Life is precious and to be valued. Drugs should assist in happiness but not be a detriment.
    Cuz and Fluidic Kimbo like this.

almostgone is online now AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    Yeah man, I've followed IFSA through the years, WSM, Giant's Live, Britain's Strongest Man, Iceland's Strongest Man, etc.

Even Mrs. AG watches with me.

If you have Netflix, look up Born Strong. It's about Brian Shaw, Hafthor Bjornsson, Eddie Hall, Zydrunas Savickas and their prep for the Arnold. Good stuff!!

Think I have most of the shows from the late 70s from back when Ferrigno and others competed up to WSM 2014.

I REALLY miss the IFSA competitions. Travis Ortmayer absolutely owned the Atlas stones back then.
    SampsonandDelilah, Cuz and Booz like this.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

SampsonandDelilah is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Just absolute behemoths with sheer strength and athleticism.
    Just the size of these guys is mind boggling, I couldn’t imagine seeing it live. I bet it’s amazing. I always watched when I was a kid and was fascinated with what they could do. The truck pull was always my favorite
    almostgone and Cuz like this.

Cuz
    Cuz is offline VET
    https://youtu.be/l5WTh1Xlp2c

Just goes to show how important genetics are. Im sure i cant even close a #2. This guy pretty much closed a 3.5 with absolutely no training.
    I can grow my arms to 20” but i cant do shit about hand size. I think hand size plays a huge part in grip strength. I have small hands, very small fingers, and small joints. This helps me look good but doenst help in strength. Just ranting now...
    If you have time to fuck off, watch the vid.
    Its pretty cool

Beetlegeuse is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuz View Post
    https://youtu.be/l5WTh1Xlp2c

Just goes to show how important genetics are....
    We raise our kids telling them "It's not the size of the dog in the fight; it's the size of the fight in the dog." But the reality is that there are biological limitations described within those 46 pairs of chromosomes we all of us received from our parents that there is little to nothing we can do to overcome.

The weights those guys train with are so massive, you've got to have bone structure like a Clydesdale or you'll be a regular visitor to an orthopedist with stress fractures and blown joints. Of course you can increase bone density with regular resistance training but that, too, has limits that were already determined by Mom & Dad.

I was reared in a one-horse town so the representative group of humanity I grew up around was pretty limited. But I figured out that genetics can be deterministic while I was still in high school by reading Esquire magazine at the barber shop while I was waiting to get my hair cut.

In the early '70s Esquire ran pictorials of life-size images of some athletes' bodies. IIRC, the first one was NBA star Bob Lanier's foot. It also was the first time Esquire had ever run a centerfold because you couldn't get an image of Lanier's size 22 Converse Chuck Taylor on just two pages.

Then there was one with Joe Frazier's fist opposed by Muhammad Ali's. No gloves or wraps, just their clenched fists. When I graduated high school I was the same height as Ali but from that photo I discovered that my fist was barely half the height of his. Which taught me that you probably weren't destined for stardom as a heavyweight prize fighter unless you had a fist the size of a lunch bucket.

One of the later issues had George Foreman's fist opposed by Willy Shoemaker's. So I took some consolation that at least my fist wasn't the smallest in existence.

I long have been convinced that eventually all the accumulated knowledge of man will end up somewhere on the Interwebs. But apparently either my G**gle-fu is weak or Esquire didn't get the memo, because I can't find those photos, so for the time-being, this will have to do:
    almostgone and Cuz like this.

almostgone is online now AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by SampsonandDelilah View Post
    Just absolute behemoths with sheer strength and athleticism.
    Just the size of these guys is mind boggling, I couldn’t imagine seeing it live. I bet it’s amazing. I always watched when I was a kid and was fascinated with what they could do. The truck pull was always my favorite
    It always amazes me how well the majority of the competitors get along. They look at their sport differently than what seems to be the norm.

Yes, they are in a competition, but most of them treat it as a being a competitor in a competition together vs. being in a competition against each other.

It's not a sport where everyone gets a "participation" doohickey of some sort, but by and large they push each other to achieve their best.
    Cuz likes this.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

Thread Information