Most everything you need to know is that they cast Woody Harrelson as Chester Nimitz and Randy Quaid as Bull Halsey. The rest is a futile attempt to polish a turd.

All the aviation and warfighting scenes are CGI and the CGI is shit. The screenwriter must have been under 30 because he thinks they spoke using the same politically correct bastardizations back in 1941 as the nitwits use today.

Neither the screenwriter nor the director had ever been within a mile of anything military, and worse, neither took any pains to remedy their igorance before beginning the film. At one point they showed a bugler playing "To The Colors," which is part of "Retreat" ceremony, which is performed when the flag is being struck (taken down). Only they were hoisting the flag. They bugle call should have been "Reveille." They depicted US naval officers clicking their heels together in response to a superior officer, which was done in Japan and Germany as a form of salute. Heel-clicking (as a salute) has never been done in the US military.

The director doesn't know shit about the basics of how airplanes work and he thinks the Japanese drive on the right side of the road. He also thinks an aircraft carrier -- all 800 feet and 40,000 tons of it -- can swerve so hard that it heels over in the water, even fast enough to evade a falling bomb.

I couldn't have watched it if it weren't a digital copy because it wasn't worth two hours of my life. Probably not yours either. I could fast-forward and still spot the stupidity. Like the crews of Jimmy Dolittle's bombers bailing out over China only to have their parachutes magically deployed the instant they fell out of the bomb bay. Except that only happens with paratroopers. Everybody else -- aircrewmen included -- has to manually pull the rip cord, just like a skydiver.

Not the worst war movie I've ever seen but definitely one of the worst. Which you might expect, considering it had financial backing from Red China.