View Poll Results: Do you really need a whey protein supplement?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

4 44.44%
  • no

5 55.56%
Like Tree18Likes
  • 1 Post By bomb_r2
  • 2 Post By KINGKONG
  • 4 Post By ghettoboyd
  • 4 Post By almostgone
  • 2 Post By i_SLAM_cougars
  • 1 Post By Gallowmere
  • 2 Post By balance
  • 1 Post By JaneDoe
  • 1 Post By 99JT

Thread: Do you think you really need a whey protein supplement?

JaneDoe is offline Banned
    Blog Entries

Do you think you really need a whey protein supplement?

VOTE ABOVE!!!

bomb_r2 is offline Associate Member
    Nope

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727AZ using Tapatalk
    JaneDoe likes this.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bomb_r2 View Post
    Nope

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727AZ using Tapatalk

See now!

KINGKONG is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I do..some good whey isolate with some berries or something higher in fiber and some olive oil..maybe even fiber powder and olive or fish oil..
    The problem for me is time..If i get in a rush a good shake and a serving almonds get me through in a pinch..Its not whole food but its better then eating noting when your body is catabolic..
    songdog and XnavyHMCS like this.

Blog Entries
    I do it’s actually the first thing I do when I get up in the am to break the fast because I find it hard to eat until I’ve been awake for a few hrs then it’s whole food the rest of the day...

< <Samson> > is offline Neurologically Intact
    Blog Entries
    Nope, I stopped all shakes - I had one within the last 3 months or so, when I was too busy to sit & eat

teejey is offline Junior Member
    Yes. To get the amount of food in for me to add size I have to add liquid shakes in. I also notice I grow faster with quality whey isolate, than say the Walmart stuff that makes me gassey

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

almostgone is offline AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    For me it's not usually necessarily a requirement as much as it is a convenience.
    On the other hand, if I get stuck on an extra long shift at work, it becomes a necessity.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

i_SLAM_cougars is offline Banned- for my own actions
    It’s definitely convenient when working long hours
    KINGKONG and songdog like this.

Gallowmere is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I’ve tried every brand of concentrate and isolate that I can get my hands on, and all of them give me horrid digestion issues. As such, I’ve gone back to using almost exclusively meat/fish/shellfish/organ protein sources. Best decision that I ever made.

So no, you don’t need one. It requires a bit more planning ahead though, unless you want to spend stupid amounts of money on a daily basis.
    JaneDoe likes this.

balance is offline Associate Member

No

While I do use them. I definitely don’t attribute any productive gains I have ever made to them. Productive gains for me tend to come when my nutrition included well over 2lbs of real meat daily.

With that being said the only time I use them is pre-workout in my cereal/oatmeal for breakfast. I use them in this example basically because of the faster digesting qualities vs using real milk. With that being said I do drink about 3 cups fairlife milk often before bed as the milk protein is a much slower digesting protein which is nice to have prior to a longer duration without incoming nutrition. Honestly if the nutritional labeling on fairlife is correct it’s likely a much better choice provided your digestive system can handle around 3 cups.

It’s funny anytime I discuss nutrition with friends at gym and when the topic of protein comes up I am often amused. People will say oh yes I’m getting 1.5 grams of protein per lb of goal body weight. Then I ask how much real meat (lunch meat don’t count) they are like oh maybe 2 meals daily have 6-8 ounces of meat. I’m like you should consider adding more real meat. The response is usually oh but I drink this super dedooper shake from blah blah blah with all the blah blah blah I’m it and I’m making excellent gains. While I won’t begin to argue or question the gains I genuinely believe the gains will be short lived, it takes real food.

How often do you see real meal plans from serious trainers or experts that have shakes in them. There’s a reason, while people do use them ideally even simple eggs would be a more ideal source. Great example Charlie67 is doing a run currently that is very nutrition focused, how many shakes is he relying upon daily to reach goals?

Moving weight should be the fun part it’s the nutrition that’s genuinely a challenge and sets physiques apart. With that being said take all my blabbering with a grain of whey as my physique has a long way to go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by balance; 01-19-2020 at 10:49 AM.
    Gallowmere and Proximal like this.

Blog Entries
    I have doubts that the nutritional information of these whey protein powder,
    are true!
    Many don't even go through serious reports, and that's where supplement companies make a profit by selling something misleading to consumers.

That's why I prefer to spend my money on chicken, eggs, beef, etc. For I know that these foods are providing me with real biological protein.Unlike supplements that are sometimes misleading.
    Last edited by JaneDoe; 01-20-2020 at 12:33 PM.
    songdog likes this.

Blog Entries
    Bump!Bump!!!Bump!!!

99JT is offline Member
    No. You can get everything you need through whole food but they do make it quick, and convenient so I use them.
    JaneDoe likes this.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 99JT View Post
    No. You can get everything you need through whole food but they do make it quick, and convenient so I use them.
    Exactly!

Blog Entries
    Bump!!!

Thread Information