Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By GearHeaded

Thread: Personal trainer certifications?

99JT is offline Member

Personal trainer certifications?

Was thinking of getting my personal training certification but not sure which one is best i was looking into NASM, ACSM, ACE, or AFAA i know NASM, and ACSM are probably the best for getting a job but also the priciest where AFAA is a bit cheaper, and also more self paced. just looking for some opinions.

bethdoth is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Following: I may do this after I retire in 20 months (but who is counting).

GearHeaded is offline BANNED
    I went with ACE years ago . but to put it in perspective, after training hundreds of clients and doing tons of in person consultations etc.. I've never ONCE been asked where I got certified. not once.

now I am self employed and I own the gym, so this may not be the case if you end up working for someone else or if you end up working at a gym or utilizing someone else's gym to train clients. you'll likely have to be under contract and you'll want the certification your employer or contract holder prefers.
    but from my experience, clients themselves don't care and will never even ask. they just want to feel comfortable and confident that you know your shit.
    JaneDoe likes this.

KINGKONG is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I went with ACE too..looked into NASM, but they seemed so Pushy trying to sell me..I never wanted to be in a gym selling training, so like GH said, really doesn't matter to clients as long as they see you know your shit and looking the part doesn't hurt...gyms around here we're asking for ACE or NASM ..I more did it to learn a few things and to have a piece of paper to show people I have..ACE online text is pretty well set up and very full of good info..stuff you won't retain most of, but interesting nevertheless..

99JT is offline Member
    I plan to start at a gym just to start of and get some more experience. Most of the gyms around me accept like 8 different certifications and it seems everyone has a different opinion on which is best to have.

< <Samson> > is offline Neurologically Intact
    Blog Entries
    I got my NASM Cert(Sorta) - I got all of the course work, then pinched them at my cc - they never got a dime, but I got no official cert - it was decent material about 5 years ago

They are pushy direct sales marketing ass holes, that’s for sure

99JT is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by < <Samson> > View Post
    They are pushy direct sales marketing ass holes, that’s for sure
    Kinda figured that when the make it hard to find info or pricing on their website without giving them your contact info. I'm sure that would end withn never ending calls from them.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 99JT View Post
    Kinda figured that when the make it hard to find info or pricing on their website without giving them your contact info. I'm sure that would end withn never ending calls from them.

It was 1,300 dollars in payments, when I did it - about 6-7 years ago

Who knows about now

KINGKONG is offline Knowledgeable Member

Personal trainer certifications?

Quote Originally Posted by < > View Post
    It was 1,300 dollars in payments, when I did it - about 6-7 years ago

Who knows about now
    It's same and they still blow you up all day, why I liked ACE , paid 600 upfront for test and all online, no sales douches to talk too, bam it was over and got to keep online study guide, which is nice to have honestly..I might review it again, honestly..I put the test 30 days out went through divided up the test in lil weekly sessions got a 90 some percent basically winging it..if you got good basic knowledge on health, fitness and nutrition you will know 1/2 the stuff..
    Last edited by KINGKONG; 02-06-2020 at 01:00 PM. Reason: I cursed ;) don't wanna pi** anyone off

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KINGKONG View Post
    It's same and they still blow you up all day, why I liked ACE , paid 600 upfront for test and all online, no sales douches to talk too, bam it was over and got to keep online study guide, which is nice to have honestly..I might review it again, honestly..I put the test 30 days out went through divided up the test in lil weekly sessions got a 90 some percent basically winging it..if you got good basic knowledge on health, fitness and nutrition you will know 1/2 the stuff..

No shit?!

Good to know

Shit, I might get it just to work in a eOS as part time trainer or some shit next season

Proximal is offline Banned
    If you happen to have a bachelors degree, CSCS from NSCA is worth checking out as well.

diesel101 is offline Anabolic Member
    I just did the NASM a few months ago it was around $750 for the package I purchased, they do have several different ones. I am currently in the middle of the ACE course right now. A lot of the course material is the same between both of them.

Thread Information