• 1 Post By Bio-Active
  • 1 Post By Proximal
  • 2 Post By almostgone
  • 1 Post By Cuz

Thread: Severe cough meds that really worked

Proximal is offline Banned

Severe cough meds that really worked

Just though I’d post this as an FYI.

I had the worse cough of my life (broke a rib actually) for 3 weeks (no fever). Didn’t respond to earlier meds and inhalers. The doc got concerned because of my age (plus was worried I’d infect my wife and subsequently infect her entire physical therapy department) and tested me. She subsequently and voluntarily took 4 weeks off (although having over a year of vacation stored up, helped considerably, lol).

The antibiotic called Azithromycin was taken for 5 days. The cough started resolving in 2, 99% gone in 5. The inhaler used is called an Advair Diskus and I’ll ween off that in the upcoming weeks.

After 3 weeks, finally got my test results back and as suspected, they were negative.

I hope that you are all doing well.
    Last edited by Proximal; 04-05-2020 at 12:30 PM.

Bio-Active is online now AR-Hall of Famer
    Slang for the antibiotic you took is Zithromax. it is really common to use for any bacterial infection.
    Cuz likes this.

Yup, I know. Not unique by any means. Plus as a disclaimer to anyone out there that isn’t aware, viruses don’t respond to antibiotics.

It was just an FYI that for me personally it turned what was my all-time worse nasty-ass cough into nothing within a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by cylon357 View Post
    Glad to hear you are doing better, brother!

I'm on Advair year round due to mild asthma. Probably a disadvantage with Covid-19 but who can say for sure?

Even slanger term is Z-pack lol! Was this one of the 5 pills on day one, 4 on day 2, etc until the end?

Didn't you get tested for Covid-19 btw?
    TY.

Yeah, took 3 weeks for the results and just found out 2 days ago. Negative, but really didn’t think I had it.

Actually the only time I’ve used antibiotics as an adult, except post surgery.
    almostgone likes this.

almostgone is online now AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    For a flat out nasty cough that can't be knocked back with home remedies, Tessalon Perles work wonders.

For respiratory infections, Augmentin and Azithromycin generally do the job for me.

For food poisoning ( or, God forbid, prostatitis), Cipro is my go to.

I always try to keep some of the above antibiotics plus a few more on hand but only use them with actual infections. If I come down with some voodoo virus, I call the Dr. and get worked in.
    Proximal and Cuz like this.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

Cuz
    Cuz is offline VET
    Good information guys thanks for sharing
    Proximal likes this.

Thread Information