• 1 Post By i_SLAM_cougars
  • 1 Post By Test Monsterone
  • 1 Post By < <Samson> >
  • 1 Post By i_SLAM_cougars
  • 2 Post By GearHeaded

Thread: Going to buy a boat

GearHeaded is offline BANNED

Going to buy a boat

I know nothing about boats . but I want a boat.

for anyone that has experience , whats the best boat type to buy? what gives the most satisfaction and allows you to be on the water for hours or even days ?
    idk . I have no clue . so help me out guys.

I'm in the mountains. our bodies of water here are not that large ... but I'm likely going to end up moving somewhere that has larger bodies of water.
    our biggest body of water here is only like 11 miles in length total. most don't even come close to that.

but if I buy a boat I want something that can be used when I eventually move and have larger bodies of water.

bestchestwest is offline New Member
    The first question you have to answer is what is your budget???? That will be a huge help when narrowing down options

Mooseman33 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    hit me up gear, im in south florida and live on the water.

i got u covered brother
    GearHeaded likes this.

Test Monsterone is offline Anabolic Member
    I’d like to know this as well. Can you get anything decent for 20-30 k? With a top?

hell yes u can.

salt water or lake?

fishing or rec with family?

where will it be kept?

most important questions
    HORSE and Test Monsterone like this.

Beetlegeuse is offline Knowledgeable Member
    There's an old axiom, ...

If it flies, floats or fornicates, ... it's cheaper to rent.

I can attest to the validity of all three.
    956Vette, Cylon357, tarmyg and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by bestchestwest View Post
    The first question you have to answer is what is your budget???? That will be a huge help when narrowing down options
    this is my budget ..
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SaAYgWHbQsOZCdklab+TiQ.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	178974

selling my factory custom limited addition camaro that I don't drive. . (only has 500 miles on it)
    I'd imagine can get a decent boat once its sold.. but I don't know shit about boats. . I just know I'm getting old and tired and don't have time for cars, would rather be on the water fishing all day and drinking beer. idk

charger69 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GearHeaded View Post
    this is my budget ..

selling my factory custom limited addition camaro that I don't drive. . (only has 500 miles on it)
    I'd imagine can get a decent boat once its sold.. but I don't know shit about boats. . I just know I'm getting old and tired and don't have time for cars, would rather be on the water fishing all day and drinking beer. idk
    Getting old???? Your practically a millennial. LOL
    You probably call me prehistoric.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by charger69 View Post
    Getting old???? Your practically a millennial. LOL
    You probably call me prehistoric.

your right I suppose.. not that old.

but lived a lot of life I guess so I feel really old..

ok lets re hash some shit..
    lived in a somewhat poor blue collar family, but somehow managed to become a nation wide elite cyclist with sponsorships and state titles..
    started working in the trades at 18.. had no problem starting with a shovel in my hand..
    when I was 21 I bought my own house.. shortly after I built my own business and never punched a clock again..
    bought about 10 houses after that . on the side.. built my contracting business and became a millionaire by time I was 30..
    but watched my mom die of drug abuse at 47.. buried her and preached the funeral message.
    watched my best friend die in front of me ,, I was his medical power of attorney and was the one that had to "pull the plug" on his life support..took an hour or so to slowly die in front of me.
    watched my kids play the violin. while I was homeschooling them.. then watched them never pick up a violin again after their violin teacher (who was only 19 years old) got hit by a semi truck on the way to school one day , then spend 8 hours in the hospital with her sister to never make it out of their alive.. after the funeral , our friend, the gradnma died.. then a few weeks later the father of the violin teachers died of pure grief from the horrible death of his daughters..
    then life was given to me . I seen my fourth child, a son be born. and I delivered him my self at home.. delivering a baby was not what I ever wanted to do ,, but just did anyhow.
    then my 5th son,, baby Joseph died on delivery (that was in a hospital)..
    I homeschooled my kids..
    I built multiple businesses.. I drag raced motorcycles I built with my own hands .. I bow hunted and crossed the Rocky Mountains highest peaks tracking down the prey.. I built a gym with 800 members just for shits and giggles ..

I feel old and tired and a little worn out

oh yeah did I mention I'm also a steroid genius I picked that up along the way I guess,, after going to seminary and writing articles on biblical studies ...

ugh, yeah I'm really really old and kinda tired

charger69 is offline Knowledgeable Member

lived in a somewhat poor blue collar family, but somehow managed to become a nation wide elite cyclist with sponsorships and state titles..
    started working in the trades at 18.. had no problem starting with a shovel in my hand..
    when I was 21 I bought my own house.. shortly after I built my own business and never punched a clock again..
    bought about 10 houses after that . on the side.. built my contracting business and became a millionaire by time I was 30..
    but watched my mom die of drug abuse at 47.. buried her and preached the funeral message.
    watched my best friend die in front of me ,, I was his medical power of attorney and was the one that had to "pull the plug" on his life support..took an hour or so to slowly die in front of me.
    watched my kids play the violin. while I was homeschooling them.. then watched them never pick up a violin again after their violin teacher (who was only 19 years old) got hit by a semi truck on the way to school one day , then spend 8 hours in the hospital with her sister to never make it out of their alive.. after the funeral , our friend, the gradnma died.. then a few weeks later the father of the violin teachers died of pure grief from the horrible death of his daughters..
    then life was given to me . I seen my fourth child, a son be born. and I delivered him my self at home.. delivering a baby was not what I ever wanted to do ,, but just did anyhow.
    I homeschooled my kids..
    I built multiple businesses.. I drag raced motorcycles I built with my own hands .. I bow hunted and crossed the Rocky Mountains highest peaks tracking down the prey.. I built a gym with 800 members just for shits and giggles ..

oh yeah did I mention I'm also a steroid genius I picked that up along the way I guess,, after going to seminary and writing articles on biblical studies ...

Where’s the medical school?? LOL

GearHeaded likes this.

fishing on lake or salt water?

99JT is offline Member
    this is my budget ..

Nice car. You seem kinda like me I have 3 truck 2 are pretty nice yet I drive my shitty plow truck most of the time.
    GearHeaded likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooseman33 View Post
    fishing on lake or salt water?
    will be fresh water

Quote Originally Posted by Mooseman33 View Post
    hell yes u can.

salt water or lake?

fishing or rec with family?

where will it be kept?

most important questions

Don't want to hi jack Gear's thread, but for me I would like one for recreation, most likely just for the lake but if it can do both that's great. I don't know where I'd keep it... I can't keep it at my place, there's no room. I don't want to keep it at the dock either, just to deteriorate over time. So I'd probably rent a space somewhere. If it could fit 6 people with room for some storage, that would be nice.

Proximal is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Test Monsterone View Post
    Don't want to hi jack Gear's thread, but for me I would like one for recreation, most likely just for the lake but if it can do both that's great. I don't know where I'd keep it... I can't keep it at my place, there's no room. I don't want to keep it at the dock either, just to deteriorate over time. So I'd probably rent a space somewhere. If it could fit 6 people with room for some storage, that would be nice.
    Was watching the new 30 for 30 piece on Lance Armstrong. He was zipping around on something and I have to admit, it looked like a hell of a good time.

Remington is offline Alligator
    " The best days of a boat owner's life are the day he buys the boat and the day he sells it"

tarmyg is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    We need more of these conversations :-)

I'm thinking of moving .. tired of spending 3 days tilling a garden, building it up , and planting.

Name:	IMG_0357.JPG 
Views:	67 
Size:	1.47 MB 
ID:	178977

just to have 20 degree weather and it all buried in snow the next day and everything dead now when its nearly June.

so long term goal , maybe to live on the water itself, meaning a house that has its own dock and waterfront.. and a climate warm enough that I can boat nearly year round.
    but I still need the forest and the mountains. not giving that up.. so I don't want no beaches or tropical shit, thats not for me.

there are some places like Lake Wilson Alabama.. can have a house and your own dock. 30 miles of water in your back yard..
    don't know if thats "mountain" enough for me though

lots of water, forest, mountains etc.. and an ok climate. have a boat and my own dock.

I'm thinking of moving .. tired of spending 3 days tilling a garden, building it up , and planting.

Name:	IMG_0357.JPG 
Views:	67 
Size:	1.47 MB 
ID:	178977

just to have 20 degree weather and it all buried in snow the next day and everything dead now when its nearly June.

so long term goal , maybe to live on the water itself, meaning a house that has its own dock and waterfront.. and a climate warm enough that I can boat nearly year round.
    but I still need the forest and the mountains. not giving that up.. so I don't want no beaches or tropical shit, thats not for me.

there are some places like Lake Wilson Alabama.. can have a house and your own dock. 30 miles of water in your back yard..
    don't know if thats "mountain" enough for me though

lots of water, forest, mountains etc.. and an ok climate. have a boat and my own dock.

Proximal likes this.

diesel101 is offline Anabolic Member

I homeschooled my kids..

Ok after reading that my shitty marriage seems pretty minor.
    Chark and GearHeaded like this.

Octaneforce is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Ive been on boats and living on the water my whole life. Boats are a complete pain in the ass. Its literally sitting in salt water which destroys everything. they are tons of fun and a great way to get pussy but if you cant afford the maintenance you will be aggravated every step of the way.

A boat big enough for 6 people plus storage is a monster. The bigger the boat the more issues youll have. Shit even driving a big boat is stressful. Ive had the most fun on little boats just barely big enough to water ski.

Best thing i ever did was buy a motorhome. They are much more rewarding than boats and way easier to fix. Big boats with living spaces are always damp and smelly.

Not trying to rain on anyones parade. Boats are fuckin awesome and i have some of my favorite memories on boats. But FUCK its alotta work.

wouldn't mind something classic and all wood

Name:	Viking-4-3456x1728.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	857.6 KB 
ID:	178989

Name:	WECARCHEM-normal-.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	234.6 KB 
ID:	178990

probably pretty darn pricey though.

maybe need something more simple to start

Name:	images.jpeg 
Views:	39 
Size:	12.5 KB 
ID:	178991
    Octaneforce likes this.

Chark is offline Member
    wouldn't mind something classic and all wood

Name:	Viking-4-3456x1728.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	857.6 KB 
ID:	178989

Name:	WECARCHEM-normal-.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	234.6 KB 
ID:	178990

probably pretty darn pricey though.

maybe need something more simple to start

Views:	39 
Size:	12.5 KB 
ID:	178991
    Mannn, those wood boats are gorgeous

Quote Originally Posted by Octaneforce View Post
    Ive been on boats and living on the water my whole life. Boats are a complete pain in the ass. Its literally sitting in salt water which destroys everything. they are tons of fun and a great way to get pussy but if you cant afford the maintenance you will be aggravated every step of the way.

A boat big enough for 6 people plus storage is a monster. The bigger the boat the more issues youll have. Shit even driving a big boat is stressful. Ive had the most fun on little boats just barely big enough to water ski.

Best thing i ever did was buy a motorhome. They are much more rewarding than boats and way easier to fix. Big boats with living spaces are always damp and smelly.

Not trying to rain on anyones parade. Boats are fuckin awesome and i have some of my favorite memories on boats. But FUCK its alotta work.
    these are some good points..

I'm more of a 'set up base camp' kind of guy .. I would likely never have an RV motorhome cause I don't like to travel. I like to just set up base camp and do everything there and never leave my small little world.
    so having land, a house, and living next to the water and having a boat is about as far as I want to explore. however having thousands of miles of open space wilderness in my back yard would be good too.

I'm not the type of guy that would want to travel and tour the country .. go to LA, go to NY city, go to Miami,, etc.. I want to just walk out my back door and explore around my base camp, not go see the world (google earth I can see the world as long as I have internet

years back I lived on the continental divide in the heart of the rocky mountains at 9,400 feet elevation.. lived on a few acres of land, but it backed up to millions of miles of raw wilderness in the middle of the Rocky Mountains . I could just take off from my front door and hike and be gone for days and hike up 14,000 foot mountain passes..
    this was out the back door.

Views:	34 
Size:	8.9 KB 
ID:	178992

I'd like to have that again but just have a large water way or 40 mile long lake to explore as well ..

where I'm at now isn't bad. I'm right next to national forest. moose, elk, deer, mountain lion all wonder around my back yard.

Name:	IMG_1002.JPG 
Views:	83 
Size:	1.74 MB 
ID:	178993

Name:	fullsizeoutput_16a.jpeg 
Views:	37 
Size:	335.2 KB 
ID:	178994
    this guy just walks around the neighborhood..

drive to work can get a little bumpy though

Name:	IMG_1009.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	751.2 KB 
ID:	178995
    and a giant boulder may crush your car

Name:	IMG_0997.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	786.5 KB 
ID:	178996

just missing miles of water front.. got all the wilderness, just would like to add some water and a boat I guess
    Octaneforce likes this.

Octaneforce is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Gear you’re on the right track with something simple. Get yourself a 22-24ft walkaround with dual engines and in my opinion you will be at the best balance of simplicity, ability, and safety. Theres alot of great deals when buying boats in that “class” because theres so many of them.

Those wood ones are gorgeous but they wouldnt be as practical as a modern fiberglass walkaround.
    GearHeaded likes this.

i_SLAM_cougars is offline Banned- for my own actions
    A big thing with boats is finding out what fuel consumption is like beforehand. You might be able to afford the boat, but putting 200 gallons of 93 octane in it every weekend might get old real fast. Just one more thing to consider.
    GearHeaded likes this.

Then again if money isn’t a thing... I always wanted a cigarette boat

I calculated the other day that if you boated 5 times a year, spent $300 per day, that's $1500 a year. In 10 years that's $15,000. So for a $30k boat, you'd need 20 years of renting to break even with buying the boat. Not to mention, if you own the boat you have to pay docking fees, gas, repairs, maintenance, hauling, etc. I guess it's not the best idea to own a boat. Unless like Gear said, you have a private place and it's available to you all the time and close by.
    GearHeaded likes this.

< <Samson> > is offline Neurologically Intact
    Blog Entries
    If I were to buy a boat >

https://offerup.co/dF0Ot0ErT6

But, I reside in the desert - that boat and Cummins would be my summer here - of course if $ wasn’t an issue

Nice Maro btw
    GearHeaded likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by < <Samson> > View Post
    If I were to buy a boat >

https://offerup.co/dF0Ot0ErT6

But, I reside in the desert - that boat and Cummins would be my summer here - of course if $ wasn’t an issue

Nice Maro btw
    nice! looks like a blast on the water for sure.

I once dropped $62k all cash for my rover.

Name:	IMG_2648.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	1,008.4 KB 
ID:	179005
    and $120k (partially financed) for my AMG

Name:	IMG_2259.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	833.2 KB 
ID:	179006

but unfortunately I don't role like that anymore .. now I'm just a broke ass gym owner with a closed down gym.
    whatever I get will have to be fairly moderate now. thinking 15-25k.

however , where I'm at I do pay $11,000 a month in rent.. If I was able to move and relocate to a much cheaper area, relocate my gym my house etc.. and cut that by 40%, and still obtain the same income. thats leaves quite a bit left over to possible finance a boat as well..

I'll probably wait on the boat for now until I find some place to re-locate to.
    unless I just bought something really basic and small for now that I could tow to the lake with my jeep.
    then when I get set up in a new place get into a much bigger permanently docked type of boat.

nice! looks like a blast on the water for sure.

I once dropped $62k all cash for my rover.

Name:	IMG_2648.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	1,008.4 KB 
ID:	179005
    and $120k (partially financed) for my AMG

Name:	IMG_2259.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	833.2 KB 
ID:	179006

but unfortunately I don't role like that anymore .. now I'm just a broke ass gym owner with a closed down gym.
    whatever I get will have to be fairly moderate now. thinking 15-25k..
    ^ just a side note .. I will say I was an absolute idiot !
    could of easily gotten by with an older Jeep grand Cherokee for like 4k, over the rover

Name:	00M0M_eWKUwIdyxy3_300x300.jpg 
Size:	14.1 KB 
ID:	179007
    and perhaps a used caddy CTS .. and been much better off rather then blowing all that $$

probably need to remember that when looking for a boat

^ just a side note .. I will say I was an absolute idiot !
    could of easily gotten by with an older Jeep grand Cherokee for like 4k, over the rover

Name:	00M0M_eWKUwIdyxy3_300x300.jpg 
Size:	14.1 KB 
ID:	179007
    and perhaps a used caddy CTS .. and been much better off rather then blowing all that $$

probably need to remember that when looking for a boat
    Jeeps don’t come with sonar so you can see rocks and holes when you’re driving through deep water. Range Rovers do.
    GearHeaded likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by i_SLAM_cougars View Post
    Jeeps don’t come with sonar so you can see rocks and holes when you’re driving through deep water. Range Rovers do.
    F_k , your right. should never of sold the rover and got a darn Jeep.
    oh well I needed the $$ so I could buy a bunch of squat racks and bars and 5000 pounds worth of weights for my gym..
    guess I'll just have to rough it in the jeep and forgo the luxury features.
    but heck I got squat racks !! so it was worth it

Name:	IMG_0166.JPG 
Views:	43 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	179008

< <Samson> > is offline Neurologically Intact
    Blog Entries
    Isn’t it something when our income significantly changes

I remember having a c****** that cost me thousands a month - now, oh wtf was I thinking - at least from just the financial end

Out here, 10k will do a real decent boat. . . But, this isn’t the season to b buying a boat - just using

Thread Information