• 1 Post By almostgone
  • 1 Post By almostgone
  • 2 Post By Cuz
  • 1 Post By OdinsOtherSon
  • 1 Post By Cuz

Thread: It's that time of year....,

almostgone is online now AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer

It's that time of year....,

.... y'all be careful if you're out walking around outside. We've killed quite a few this year
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails It's that time of year....,-pxl_20230920_144242897.jpg  
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

OdinsOtherSon is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by almostgone View Post
    .... y'all be careful if you're out walking around outside. We've killed quite a few this year
    Been seeing a few of those around my neck of the woods too. That can get nasty real quick.
    almostgone likes this.

stocky121 is offline VET~ Recognized Staff Winner - $100
    Fuck that shit.
    Sometimes I’m glad I live in England.
    no open source posting
    keep all source request's to PM'S please

someone once said to me a clever man learn's by his own mistake's. But a wise man learn's by the mistake's of other people.

detailed detection times
    at least 45 day's active use and 100 posts for a source check
    unsure about the rule's please read up
    thread for first cycle choices

SOURCE CHECKS CLICK HERE

Quote Originally Posted by stocky121 View Post
    Fuck that shit.
    Sometimes I’m glad I live in England.
    Y'all don't have many venomous snakes do you, Stocky?
    Last edited by almostgone; 09-20-2023 at 10:43 AM.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

Quote Originally Posted by OdinsOtherSon View Post
    Been seeing a few of those around my neck of the woods too. That can get nasty real quick.
    Very true. We found out neighbor's dog dead yesterday afternoon. He was fine yesterday morning. I figure he must have been trying to "play" with a baby copperhead or two and he got bit. The baby copperheads don't have control of the amount of venom they release.
    OdinsOtherSon and teedoff like this.

stocky121 is offline VET~ Recognized Staff Winner - $100
    Y'all don't have many venomous snakes do you, Sticky?
    I think we only have the adder. But it’s generally not poisonous enough to cause concern for humans
    almostgone, Booz and OdinsOtherSon like this.
    no open source posting
    keep all source request's to PM'S please

someone once said to me a clever man learn's by his own mistake's. But a wise man learn's by the mistake's of other people.

detailed detection times
    at least 45 day's active use and 100 posts for a source check
    unsure about the rule's please read up
    thread for first cycle choices

SOURCE CHECKS CLICK HERE

Very true. We found out neighbor's dog dead yesterday afternoon. He was fine yesterday morning. I figure he must have been trying to "play" with a baby copperhead or two and he got bit. The baby copperheads don't have control of the amount of venom they release.
    That sucks. I always worry about that scenario playing out with my dogs as well. We’ve even spotted a few rattlers this year as well. Keep a shovel handy!

Copperheads don't usually cause death in humans, but they can. Usually the bitten limb swells up, requires antivenin, and you're out of commission for several weeks.

Sometimes it will just be a dry bite (they don't dispense any poison), but for children, people with pre-existing health problems, and the elderly, it doesn't always end well.
    OdinsOtherSon likes this.

Copperheads don't usually cause death in humans, but they can. Usually the bitten limb swells up, requires antivenin, and you're out of commission for several weeks.

Sometimes it will just be a dry bite (they don't dispense any poison), but for children, people with pre-existing health problems, and the elderly, it doesn't always end well.
    ^^this. We also have a healthy population of cottonmouths. Now those rascals can ruin your life. Plus, they are an aggressive snake and will actively come after you or just wait for you to get too close. You get bit by a cottonmouth, better be hunting some medical attention, quick.

That sucks. I always worry about that scenario playing out with my dogs as well. We’ve even spotted a few rattlers this year as well. Keep a shovel handy!
    Yeah, this was a really great dog. A cocker spaniel...always happy. Of course, I get attached to pretty much any dog. They're more like family members.

We get the occasional rattlesnake....usually timber rattlers and the occasional pygmy rattlesnake. Copperheads are usually the biggest danger.

^^this. We also have a healthy population of cottonmouths. Now those rascals can ruin your life. Plus, they are an aggressive snake and will actively come after you or just wait for you to get too close. You get bit by a cottonmouth, better be hunting some medical attention, quick.
    We don't have any cottonmouths in my area of SC, but when I lived in Alabama, if there was water, there were cottonmouths.

teedoff is offline Member
    Yeah, this was a really great dog. A cocker spaniel...always happy. Of course, I get attached to pretty much any dog. They're more like family members.

We get the occasional rattlesnake....usually timber rattlers and the occasional pygmy rattlesnake. Copperheads are usually the biggest danger.

We don't have any cottonmouths in my area of SC, but when I lived in Alabama, if there was water, there were cottonmouths.
    Really? We have some cotton mouths up here in the Triad area. Not as common as copperhead, but I've seen them.

Heck a brown recluse spider is what I'm more worried about! Had a friend years ago get bitten on his elbow and had at least 5 skin grafts trying to stop the necrosis.

Quote Originally Posted by teedoff View Post
    Really? We have some cotton mouths up here in the Triad area. Not as common as copperhead, but I've seen them.

Heck a brown recluse spider is what I'm more worried about! Had a friend years ago get bitten on his elbow and had at least 5 skin grafts trying to stop the necrosis.
    We have them in SC, but not in my area. I think I've seen maybe 2 in 50 years. It's very rare.

Brown recluse and black widows, we definitely have.
    Cuz likes this.

Cuz
    Cuz is online now VET
    Luckily down in the bam bam, I havent seen nearly as many as I use to I guess they are hiding themselves well. Cotton mouth probably most common vile serpent down here and damn can they get huge and mean.

Two years ago I seen the biggest one Ive seen he was on a log in the water and when we got with 30 yards of him or more idk he raised his head straight up and give us a stare. I was nervous, this snake was about 6 ft in length and the girth would rival a python of similar stature. He turned and swam to the bank avoiding us thankfully
    OdinsOtherSon and almostgone like this.

Yep, cottonmouths aka, water moccasins, can have a huge girth, especially in comparison to length. And they are very aggressive. Like you said, they will give you the stare and will actually come for you.
    Cuz likes this.

Cuz
    Cuz is online now VET
    Yep, cottonmouths aka, water moccasins, can have a huge girth, especially in comparison to length. And they are very aggressive. Like you said, they will give you the stare and will actually come for you.
    Thankfully that day he didnt me and my brother talked about that snake for a long time. Hes ex military so he always carries and he was that day that would have been the only thing that would have saved us.

You’re def right, those bastards will climb in the damn boat with ya.

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I like snakes and use to catch 100s of them during the summer as a kid but even then I knew copper heads were not to be messed with. I actually caught one while swimming in the river with some friends. Saw it in the water on the bottom and swam down and grabbed it. Once I was out of the water I realized what it was and killed it. I had mixed feelings about killing it but decided it was for the best.

Thread Information