redrock is offline Member

Cooking chicken in dorm room without grill or pan?

So in the dorm I will be living in next year, you can't have a grill or anything. I need a way to cook plain, boneless, skinless breasts. Tuna gets old after a while, and the Commons doesn't serve lean meats. I was thinking of some way to boil or steam them.

I want to try and not set off the fire sprinklers. I don't really like microwaving them because they get tough and rubbery, but if it comes down to it I will.

I know some of you guys get ingenious with cooking meathods. Bunch of Emeril's on this board. Thanks guys, REDROCK

mfenske is offline Member
    Before my George Foreman I used to cook chicken breasts in the microwave. If I remember they were pretty good too. Towards the end put some lemon juice, oregano, and paprika on them and you'll be happy. Mark

BigGreen is offline Anabolic Member
    Why doesn't the Foreman qualify? When I lived in a dorm, the classification of grills and other cooking instruments not allowed had a great deal to do with open coils or flame sources. I'd check how the exact description is worded in that little handbook you have to sign for at the beginning of the year; I've never known a school where a Foreman grill didn't slip between the cracks of their fancy "prohibitions"

ichiban is offline Female Member
    Season the chicken however you wish and broil them in the oven (like @ 400) for about 25 min. or until done.

hawktribal is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigGreen
    Why doesn't the Foreman qualify? When I lived in a dorm, the classification of grills and other cooking instruments not allowed had a great deal to do with open coils or flame sources. I'd check how the exact description is worded in that little handbook you have to sign for at the beginning of the year; I've never known a school where a Foreman grill didn't slip between the cracks of their fancy "prohibitions"
    i'm with BigGreen, get a foreman. it's quick, easy and you can cook any kind of meat on it. it's not going to set off the fire alarms, they're all over the place at Universities.

LORDBLiTZ Guest
    Showtime rotisserie fuking ownz!!

http://www.rotisserieoven.com/

clockworks is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by redrock
    Tuna gets old after a while, and the Commons doesn't serve lean meats.
    nuts to that. i eat 5 cans of tuna a day outta the can now...been doing that for like a month now. desire is very relevant! =)

-- cb

ColdSore is offline Banned
    If they dont let you have a george forman grill...then thats just f**ked up...i think BG is right the grill thing only should apply to an open flame...hell the George Forman grill is just an oversized waffle iron!

hawktribal is offline Senior Member
    [QUOTE=ColdStone]If they dont let you have a george forman grill...then thats just f**ked up...i think BG is right the grill thing only should apply to an open flame...hell the George Forman grill is just an oversized waffle iron![/QUOTE]

funny, but true

BimBamBoom is offline Associate Member
    What you do is get two irons together and turn both of them on high, season your chicken, and place between the two irons.
    I've never tried this and I wouldn't suggest any sane person try it either.
    Unless of course you do not fall in that category, give it a try...

bigol'legs is offline Quadzilla
    Damn just come up to Montana right now and throw that shit on the sidewalk and watch it sizzle. Seriously boil the chicken and use some hot spicy mustard to give it some GOOD taste.

Tock is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BimBamBoom
    What you do is get two irons together and turn both of them on high, season your chicken, and place between the two irons.
    I've never tried this and I wouldn't suggest any sane person try it either.
    Unless of course you do not fall in that category, give it a try...
    ========================

This works . . . did it all the time back when I was stuck in a USAF dorm. They'd ding ya if you had a hot plate, so we'd wrap all sorts of stuff up in aluminum foil, pop it on the upside-down iron, and cook away. Most guys did grilled cheese sandwiches, I'd do liver and onions, chicken, pork chops, etc. Works pretty good. Just takes a little practice.

There are also techniques for cooking on your car engine. I've seen books on this . . . again, it involves wrapping the item up in aluminum foil, and putting it on top of a part of the engine where it won't fall off. I've heard this works well, but never tried it.

Quote Originally Posted by BimBamBoom
    Do you set them on "Permanent Press" or "Steam"

But seriously it's not a bad idea... anything that produces heat and can be easily conscealed it a decent idea. Just don't set the dorms on fire experimenting with those things!

Red

Yeah, the foreman is out, they won't let us have any cooking devices at all. I could get in trouble for having a microwave, but I'm gonna have one anyways. I guess i'll just have to be happy with cooking my chicken breasts two at a time in the micro. REDROCK

ColdSore is offline Banned
    Yeah, the foreman is out, they won't let us have any cooking devices at all. I could get in trouble for having a microwave, but I'm gonna have one anyways. I guess i'll just have to be happy with cooking my chicken breasts two at a time in the micro. REDROCK
    Thats just fu**ed up...the microwave chicken isnt bad...i did it last nigh to try it...kindof rubbery, but you can live on it

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    I've done the 2 orn's trick, I've also cooked on top of my truck motor a few times. When cooking on your motor, season the meat however you want, wrap it in foil and place on top of your manifold or if you can near your exhaust manifolds where it won't fall off. My roast turned out quite nicely.

Money Boss Hustla is offline Retired Moderator

EXCESS is offline Retired Moderator
    If you're risking it by having a microwave, why not get a Foreman too? All the cool kids will be doing it!

Quote Originally Posted by EXCESS
    If you're risking it by having a microwave, why not get a Foreman too? All the cool kids will be doing it!
    Because last year, someone set off the sprinklers in that door, his room was flooded with 12 inches of water and the rest of the hall had 6 inches of water. I don't think it would be good idea.

Full Intensity is offline Anabolic Member
    just get a coleman stove. it looks like a steel box when closed. you can spray paint it black too! no one will ever know its a coleman. and when u use it just get a fan and open the window so it vents outside. u can even get crazy and buy vent from home depot and put a van to blow the fumes outside.

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colem...ubcategory.asp
    Last edited by Full Intensity; 07-24-2003 at 06:00 PM.

EXCESS is offline Retired Moderator
    Does the rule say "no use of a grill" or "no grills". A Foreman grill wouldn't qualify as being used if they found it unplugged, would it? You'd have to be a very bad cook to create enough smoke to set off a smoke detector while using a Foreman. Keep the windows open when you use it and you'll be fine.

Catamount is offline Associate Member
    In my dorms you couldn't have shit in the room including a Forman. You only get caught when your stupid so help yourself to bringing one. The one thing I learned about college is to invest in tupaware. $4.00 can save you about a $1000 dollars a year. Just bring the tupaware to the cafe load up the plates, sit in the corner and drop into the tupaware, place in bag and go up for seconds. That's one thing I miss about the dorms. Endless supply of chicken, eggs, cottage cheese and the occasional special grade D steak!

tolinka is offline Senior Member
    Ok, here is the idea.

Get a wooden stick, preferply a length of a Ruler, about 30 Zippo's and some fluid gas. You are all set.

Now, stick the woode stick in the chicken. Light all the 30 Zippos and stand the up close together. Hold the chicken abouve the Zippos til you think its ready. Walla!

Quote Originally Posted by EXCESS
    Does the rule say "no use of a grill" or "no grills". A Foreman grill wouldn't qualify as being used if they found it unplugged, would it? You'd have to be a very bad cook to create enough smoke to set off a smoke detector while using a Foreman. Keep the windows open when you use it and you'll be fine.
    They say "no cooking devices". I can get away with the micro, but the grill or toaster oven and the likes are out. I was thinking of a way to boil the chicken or something like that. Like an enclosed machine that you drop it it...and seal it so there is no steam or whatever. I might go to linen's and things and look at the kitchen stuff.

PTbyJason is offline Retired Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by clockworks
    nuts to that. i eat 5 cans of tuna a day outta the can now...been doing that for like a month now. desire is very relevant! =)

-- cb
    I did this before too. Come back in 2 months and post and tell me if you are still eating that much tuna.

Is there not some sort of common room where they got a few nukers and toaster ovens? Just go in at night and cook up a whole batch and refrigerate them. (You are allowed a small fridge no?)

Or have a BBQ day on the front lawn of the rez once a week, BBQ all the chicken for the week.

Red

usualsuspect is offline Anabolic Member
    Some rules are meant to be broken...not allowed to have a grill in a dorm is one of them. Cook chicken by a window with your foreman grill and then simply hide the grill under your bed, just in case the RA stops by. The benefit outweighs the risk in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by usualsuspect
    Some rules are meant to be broken...not allowed to have a grill in a dorm is one of them. Cook chicken by a window with your foreman grill and then simply hide the grill under your bed, just in case the RA stops by. The benefit outweighs the risk in this case.

I am the RA

Tock is offline Anabolic Member
    They say "no cooking devices". I can get away with the micro, but the grill or toaster oven and the likes are out. I was thinking of a way to boil the chicken or something like that. Like an enclosed machine that you drop it it...and seal it so there is no steam or whatever. I might go to linen's and things and look at the kitchen stuff.
    =============================

If you wanted to boil stuff, you could do it in an electric coffee pot. To keep some of the steam enclosed, you might could use a pressure cooker on an upside-down iron.
    Another idea (never tried this) would be to rig up a heat-resistant box of some sort and use a blow dryer (set on high heat, low air) to heat it up. I think this is how convection ovens work.
    Just gotta be creative when you're circumventing the law . . .

Guys, a lot of those makeshift ideas sound really good, but in my opinion most would be more of a fire hazard than simply keeping a Foreman grill tucked under your bed when not in use, and by an open window when in use (remember, cooking chicken or any meat SMELLS!).

Regardless of the rules, this is a dorm we're talking about and the safety of the occupants is paramount. The chances of accidents with some jury rigged iron setup or blow dryer McGuiver contraption would be too high for me to be comfortable.

Of course if you are ready to settle for "boiled", then you could always get an electric pressure cooker, but I'd go for a foreman type grill anways.

Ok, I'm taking off the blue Fireground Safety Officer helmet now...

Red

PUMP UP is offline Junior Member

That's What I'm saying!! Formen all the way.... If you have a microwave and want to boil the chicken use a big bowl fill it with water put the chicken in it and boil away. I have tried this and it taste a little better than just microwaving the breast. It isn't as rubbery.

punk_bbuilder is offline Senior Member
    Check with your resident assistant or grad assistant. (RA or GA), see what they say on the whole matter. Im an RA and we are not supposed to allow the kids to have George foremans or hot plates but i let them anyway. Im hungry all the time and if i see someone cooking i snag some meat. See if they would let you have one. If not does your Dorm have a kitchen on any level, most dorms do. Try the nuker it isnt that bad with a little barbecue sauce. If all else fails hide it in your closet, just dont start a fire.

Strut99GT is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PTbyJason
    I did this before too. Come back in 2 months and post and tell me if you are still eating that much tuna.
    I keep telling him that, and he doesn't listen

clockworks is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PTbyJason
    hehe, i'll take that as a challenge...=) anyways, my diet has been slightly modified (only 4 cans of tuna a day now). check it out, it'll be in the diet questions forum in like 5 mins.

-- clocky baby

Quote Originally Posted by punk_bbuilder
    Check with your resident assistant or grad assistant. (RA or GA), see what they say on the whole matter. Im an RA and we are not supposed to allow the kids to have George foremans or hot plates but i let them anyway. Im hungry all the time and if i see someone cooking i snag some meat. See if they would let you have one. If not does your Dorm have a kitchen on any level, most dorms do. Try the nuker it isnt that bad with a little barbecue sauce. If all else fails hide it in your closet, just dont start a fire.
    I am an RA. I'm not so much concerned about getting caught as I am about setting a fire or setting off the smoke alarm. The fire sprinklers went off last year from a guy lighting incense and 2 feet of water and 60,000 dollars in damage later, I want to be on the safe side.

lilbull is offline Associate Member
    open a window. Set up a fan to blow smoke out of said window. In my friends old dorm people would do this to cook, smoke, anything to vent the room. (sometimes on bad farts). It works really well, and foremans don't smoke much, so the fan and window should suffice. Good luck.

Endurance is offline Associate Member
    here bro let me try this since i live in the dorms too. At my university(which is pretty big) there are grills all around the dorms outside for students to grill on if they have charcoal. I went to walmart and bought (in the camping section) a "griller" it is a metal piece of cooking equipment. At one end you can put your chicken and then latch it in and then it has about a 24inch long handle. I can cook 2 breasts at a time. So i go out there on sunday and take 6 breasts and just sit there and read a book while each one cooks. That carries me till wednesday where i repeat the process. If you need and exact name i can get it for you

Thread Information