Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Beetlegeuse
  • 1 Post By SampsonandDelilah
  • 1 Post By Beetlegeuse
  • 1 Post By AwareXx

Thread: Two more dead noteworthy baseball players: Whitey Ford & Joe Morgan

Beetlegeuse is offline Knowledgeable Member

Two more dead noteworthy baseball players: Whitey Ford & Joe Morgan

Joe Morgan (who died yesterday) was part of the Cincinatti dynasty that also featured Johnny Bench, Pete "Charlie Hustle" Rose and Tony Perez and was skippered by Sparky Anderson. He played second base and also batted in the #2 slot, hit .271 over his career with 2,517 hits, 268 'taters, 1133 RBIs and 689 stolen bases. Two World Series rings, five Gold Gloves, 10x All-Star and 1990 inductee into the Hall of Fame.

Joe might be best remembered for his batting style, or lack of it. He had a 'tic' and would restlessly pump his left arm as he was waiting for a pitch (much to the chagrin of Little League batting coaches all over the fruited plain).

Whitey Ford (who died last Thursday) grew up within Walking Distance of Yankee stadium and played his entire career in pinstripes. As a pitcher his career win-loss record was 236–106, ERA 2.75 and threw 1956 strike-outs. In his first 11 seasons with the Yanks they won six World Series. Ford also made 10 All-Star teams, won one Cy Ward, one WS MVP, 3x AL wins leader and twice MLB ERA leader.

Ford was elected to Cooperstown in 1974, same year as teammate Mickey Mantle. During the 1961 season (at the end of which the Yankees won the Series), while Whitey was busy winning more games than any other pitcher in the American league and getting voted into the All-Star game, Mantle hit 54 home runs. Teammate Roger Maris hit 61, breaking the Bambino's record by a single swing of the bat. I recall during the 1972 World Series commentators were talking about the strength of the Oakland A's offense because they had four hitters who cumulatively had hit 120 home runs. To which my response was, "Big hairy deal, the 1961 Yankees had just two batters who hit 115!"

Whitey played his rookie year for the Yanks in 1950, then joined the Army because of the war in Korea, serving two years. So like Ted Williams, his statistics have to be viewed in the light that he voluntarily gave up years in the fattest part of his career to serve his nation.

Before there was Cher, before there was Madonna, before there was Whitey. He didn't need no last name. In that era, if anyone mentioned "Whitey," everyone knew who they meant.
    SampsonandDelilah likes this.

SampsonandDelilah is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Both American treasures.

Well written as always, but I’ll add that Joe Morgan was my all time favorite baseball announcer as well. Just loved the way he called a game.

RIP gentlemen
    ghettoboyd likes this.

Beetlegeuse is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SampsonandDelilah View Post
    ... Joe Morgan was my all time favorite baseball announcer as well. Just loved the way he called a game....
    He was better'n most. Mine favorite was Dizzy Dean (which shows my age [no, I never saw Ty Cobb play, ner Honus Wagner neither, dammit! ] ).

I even larned how ta speak good English from “Ol’ Diz.” When he died that torch passed to Tim McCarver. Not as my English tutor, as my fave play-by-play man.

Then again, I always was a little caught up in them '67 Cards.
    Last edited by Beetlegeuse; 10-12-2020 at 08:34 PM.

AwareXx is offline Junior Member
    Best of luck, this is indeed well written, thanks for sharing!

SampsonandDelilah is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Beetlegeuse View Post
    He was better'n most. Mine favorite was Dizzy Dean (which shows my age [no, I never saw Ty Cobb play, ner Honus Wagner neither, dammit! ] ).

I even larned how ta speak good English from “Ol’ Diz.” When he died that torch passed to Tim McCarver. Not as my English tutor, as my fave play-by-play man.

Then again, I always was a little caught up in them '67 Cards.
    Absolutely love McCarver as well and if I’m being honest I really like Costas and Joe Buck too.

One of my other favorites was listening to Skip Carey calling Braves games, just thought he was awesome. I always wondered why he didn’t get near the notoriety of dear old dad...

But man, Joe Morgan was just a gem

Thread Information