Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 65
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: Post up your gear!

  1. #1
    Cylon357's Avatar
    Cylon357 is online now Nice Guy Cy
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,980
    Blog Entries
    1

    Post up your gear!

    Not THAT type of gear.

    With 'effing 2020 still being a pain in the rump, I decided to finally learn (or at least attempt to learn) how to play guitar. I bought the Les Paul Player Pack seen below... yes, it is beginner level equipment, but I am a TOTAL beginner so it's all good.

    Any recommends on online lessons or how to's in general? Also, would love to see anybody else's gear, recommends, etc.

    Post up your gear!-2020guitar.jpg
    wango likes this.

  2. #2
    wango's Avatar
    wango is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Posts
    1,513
    Great idea. You got me playing air guitar to a favorite song and I started thinking hmmmmmm . . . .
    Cylon357 likes this.

  3. #3
    Capebuffalo's Avatar
    Capebuffalo is offline - MONITOR -
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Defiling Myself
    Posts
    23,208
    Hey Prox

  4. #4
    SampsonandDelilah's Avatar
    SampsonandDelilah is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    La Cocina
    Posts
    3,227
    Blog Entries
    1
    Post up your gear!-6f7299bc-2d89-4297-b28e-6cdc4993ce2e.jpg


    This is the only musician at my house

    Damn it’s loud, but the smile on his face when he plays is worth it <3
    Last edited by SampsonandDelilah; 10-16-2020 at 05:44 PM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    4,683
    That is awesome!!!!

    (If you want... Put pillows in the drums and foam between the cymbals. Or get a mute set.)

  6. #6
    Honkey_Kong's Avatar
    Honkey_Kong is online now Superbowl XLIX Champs!
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    The Dude Abides
    Posts
    9,581
    Attachment 180045

    I used to have more. The one I usually play is the flamenco in the front (a Cordoba) The electric behind that with the manila neck and the black body is a one-of-a-kind electric that I hand-made specifically to fit my body and finger reach. It's got an SH-59 pickup a Dimebucker and the single coil is a DiMarzio that was also in one of the Steve Vai Jem models. It's also got Schaller locking tuning pegs (same ones that are in a John Petrucci Ernie Ball). The rest of them aren't anything in particular. The dark classical on the right I used to keep at work and play when I needed a little break.

  7. #7
    SampsonandDelilah's Avatar
    SampsonandDelilah is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    La Cocina
    Posts
    3,227
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by The Deadlifting Dog View Post
    That is awesome!!!!

    (If you want... Put pillows in the drums and foam between the cymbals. Or get a mute set.)
    I’ll give that a whirl! I bought him an electric pad with pedals but he says it’s not the same. Apparently the noise adds to the attraction, lol

  8. #8
    SampsonandDelilah's Avatar
    SampsonandDelilah is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    La Cocina
    Posts
    3,227
    Blog Entries
    1
    Damn Honkey Kong, that’s impressive!!

    And I thinks it’s awesome you started Cylon!

  9. #9
    Honkey_Kong's Avatar
    Honkey_Kong is online now Superbowl XLIX Champs!
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    The Dude Abides
    Posts
    9,581
    Quote Originally Posted by SampsonandDelilah View Post
    Damn Honkey Kong, that’s impressive!!
    Thanks. I've been playing since I was like 11 or 12 and you know how collections go.
    SampsonandDelilah likes this.

  10. #10
    Honkey_Kong's Avatar
    Honkey_Kong is online now Superbowl XLIX Champs!
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    The Dude Abides
    Posts
    9,581
    Quote Originally Posted by cylon357 View Post
    Not THAT type of gear.

    With 'effing 2020 still being a pain in the rump, I decided to finally learn (or at least attempt to learn) how to play guitar. I bought the Les Paul Player Pack seen below... yes, it is beginner level equipment, but I am a TOTAL beginner so it's all good.

    Any recommends on online lessons or how to's in general? Also, would love to see anybody else's gear, recommends, etc.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2020Guitar.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	215.0 KB 
ID:	180019
    Honestly, You can practice chord patterns and playing Segovian scales (which I absolutely think you should do) and focus on keeping your wrist straight, your thumb behind the fingerboard and always practice with a metronome. I advise practicing Segovian scales, because they go play through 2-3 octaves and you can move them all over the neck. Practice your picking technique and palm muting. Always go slow and then progressively increase tempo. I only finger pick so I have my nails shaped for it. I use my thumb on the lower 3 strings and my index middle and ring for the other ones (and also for the lower strings if I'm playing a melody using them). I try to finger pick using a "rest stroke" style whenever possible, but if I need to play faster, I will do a "free stroke" which causes it to not sound so clean (you get sympathetic string ringing). And I definitely suggest you google both of those styles. Work of rasquedos and tremolo picking (both finger and with a pick).

    But the thing that you will benefit most from is ear training. The best program I've ever used is MacGAMUT

    https://www.macgamut.com/

    It's worth buying, but you'll only really benefit from it if you practice with it regularly.
    Last edited by Honkey_Kong; 10-16-2020 at 08:28 PM.

  11. #11
    wango's Avatar
    wango is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Posts
    1,513
    Quote Originally Posted by cylon357 View Post
    Not THAT type of gear.

    With 'effing 2020 still being a pain in the rump, I decided to finally learn (or at least attempt to learn) how to play guitar. I bought the Les Paul Player Pack seen below... yes, it is beginner level equipment, but I am a TOTAL beginner so it's all good.

    Any recommends on online lessons or how to's in general? Also, would love to see anybody else's gear, recommends, etc.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2020Guitar.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	215.0 KB 
ID:	180019
    What style or type of music you thinking?

  12. #12
    Honkey_Kong's Avatar
    Honkey_Kong is online now Superbowl XLIX Champs!
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    The Dude Abides
    Posts
    9,581
    Here's a few bars of a tune I transcribed in to a solo guitar piece. You shouldn't have too much trouble learning this. You might need to google "ghost notes" and "triplet," but it'll keep you busy. Print it out.

    The guy who wrote that song is the messiah of all guitar, Gary Moore.

    Attachment 180048

  13. #13
    Cylon357's Avatar
    Cylon357 is online now Nice Guy Cy
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,980
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Honkey_Kong View Post
    Honestly, You can practice chord patterns and playing Segovian scales (which I absolutely think you should do) and focus on keeping your wrist straight, your thumb behind the fingerboard and always practice with a metronome. I advise practicing Segovian scales, because they go play through 2-3 octaves and you can move them all over the neck. Practice your picking technique and palm muting. Always go slow and then progressively increase tempo. I only finger pick so I have my nails shaped for it. I use my thumb on the lower 3 strings and my index middle and ring for the other ones (and also for the lower strings if I'm playing a melody using them). I try to finger pick using a "rest stroke" style whenever possible, but if I need to play faster, I will do a "free stroke" which causes it to not sound so clean (you get sympathetic string ringing). And I definitely suggest you google both of those styles. Work of rasquedos and tremolo picking (both finger and with a pick).

    But the thing that you will benefit most from is ear training. The best program I've ever used is MacGAMUT

    https://www.macgamut.com/

    It's worth buying, but you'll only really benefit from it if you practice with it regularly.
    I've got some googling to do! Thanks for the help!
    SampsonandDelilah likes this.

  14. #14
    Cylon357's Avatar
    Cylon357 is online now Nice Guy Cy
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,980
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by wango View Post
    What style or type of music you thinking?
    Well, I will probably start with something like this once I get my transitions down.

    For real, when I'm practicing, I work on things Fur Elise, and the intros to "Breakin' the Law" and "Wanted: Dead or Alive". But I do need to get more formal with my lessons. I"ll peep the link @Honkey_Kong posted tomorrow.

  15. #15
    SampsonandDelilah's Avatar
    SampsonandDelilah is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    La Cocina
    Posts
    3,227
    Blog Entries
    1
    I LOVE music, just love it and am so enamored with people that have those abilities. I wish my parents would have pushed me more. Love that my son is into it and want to foster that. Even more impressive when guys are “older” and decide to pick it up. I hope to too one day when life isn’t so busy.
    You guys are inspiring

  16. #16
    Honkey_Kong's Avatar
    Honkey_Kong is online now Superbowl XLIX Champs!
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    The Dude Abides
    Posts
    9,581
    Quote Originally Posted by SampsonandDelilah View Post
    I LOVE music, just love it and am so enamored with people that have those abilities. I wish my parents would have pushed me more. Love that my son is into it and want to foster that. Even more impressive when guys are “older” and decide to pick it up. I hope to too one day when life isn’t so busy.
    You guys are inspiring
    It's definitely easier to learn when you're younger (I took piano lessons in college and I was struggling a lot more than my niece who was 5 and was also taking lessons). My parents actually tried to deter me from playing guitar, but there wasn't much they could do to stop me once I discovered Headbangers Ball. It's harder, now that I'm middle age, to find time to play and some days I can't find time at all.

  17. #17
    Test Monsterone's Avatar
    Test Monsterone is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    2,209

  18. #18
    Cylon357's Avatar
    Cylon357 is online now Nice Guy Cy
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,980
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Test Monsterone View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3622.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	180050
    Oh sh!t! I almost went the keyboard route instead of the guitar. Damn, TM is all Thomas Dolby on us! That looks like a cool setup!

  19. #19
    SampsonandDelilah's Avatar
    SampsonandDelilah is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    La Cocina
    Posts
    3,227
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by cylon357 View Post
    Oh sh!t! I almost went the keyboard route instead of the guitar. Damn, TM is all Thomas Dolby on us! That looks like a cool setup!

    Seriously, that’s impressive!
    Test Monsterone likes this.

  20. #20
    Honkey_Kong's Avatar
    Honkey_Kong is online now Superbowl XLIX Champs!
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    The Dude Abides
    Posts
    9,581
    Quote Originally Posted by Test Monsterone View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3622.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	180050
    What DAW do you run with all of that?

    I used to have Logic Pro when I had a Mac. But on the PC, I am using Reason's samples and rack in ReWire with Cubase or Digital Performer as the sequencer. I hate it and want round robin samples.

  21. #21
    Fluidic Kimbo's Avatar
    Fluidic Kimbo is online now Morale Officer (de facto)
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    3,133
    In my living room I have a guitar, ukulele, recorder, tin whistles, a long Irish flute that doubles as a low whistle because you can change the head on it, harmonica, ocarina, cornet.

    Focusing on the cornet at the moment but I pick the others up from time to time.
    SampsonandDelilah likes this.

  22. #22
    Fluidic Kimbo's Avatar
    Fluidic Kimbo is online now Morale Officer (de facto)
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    3,133
    Quote Originally Posted by Capebuffalo View Post
    Hey Prox
    wango = prox?

    Quote Originally Posted by wango
    Great idea. You got me playing air guitar to a favorite song and I started thinking hmmmmmm . . .
    Prox, is that you?

  23. #23
    Fluidic Kimbo's Avatar
    Fluidic Kimbo is online now Morale Officer (de facto)
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    3,133
    When I was learning to play the cornet I already knew a few melodies on the tin whistle and so I tried to play traditional songs on the cornet. I'll make a video and post it later.
    Last edited by Fluidic Kimbo; 10-18-2020 at 06:34 AM.

  24. #24
    Test Monsterone's Avatar
    Test Monsterone is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    2,209
    Quote Originally Posted by Honkey_Kong View Post
    What DAW do you run with all of that?

    I used to have Logic Pro when I had a Mac. But on the PC, I am using Reason's samples and rack in ReWire with Cubase or Digital Performer as the sequencer. I hate it and want round robin samples.
    I use mostly Ableton Live, but I started with Reason 3, now up to Reason 10. I have almost all the DAWs except logic. UI seemed too small and dark when I tried it years ago. Ableton is so easy to use. I have Ableton, Reason, protools, Bitwig, and Studio One. On the other side of the room I have my DAW-less setup with an MPC Live, my iPad, a midi keyboard, and a record player. Try out Splice if you like to sample, it’s great.

    On a funny note, when I was in college I was taking to a guy about music and mentioned how I have a room full of gear. At the end of the class this other guy sheepishly walks over to me and asks in a quiet voice... “so... you have a room FULL OF GEAR?!?” I was like not that kind buddy, and he felt super embarrassed lol. I didn’t even do steroids back then but I knew what they were called.

  25. #25
    Honkey_Kong's Avatar
    Honkey_Kong is online now Superbowl XLIX Champs!
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    The Dude Abides
    Posts
    9,581
    Quote Originally Posted by Test Monsterone View Post
    I use mostly Ableton Live, but I started with Reason 3, now up to Reason 10. I have almost all the DAWs except logic. UI seemed too small and dark when I tried it years ago. Ableton is so easy to use. I have Ableton, Reason, protools, Bitwig, and Studio One. On the other side of the room I have my DAW-less setup with an MPC Live, my iPad, a midi keyboard, and a record player. Try out Splice if you like to sample, it’s great.

    On a funny note, when I was in college I was taking to a guy about music and mentioned how I have a room full of gear. At the end of the class this other guy sheepishly walks over to me and asks in a quiet voice... “so... you have a room FULL OF GEAR?!?” I was like not that kind buddy, and he felt super embarrassed lol. I didn’t even do steroids back then but I knew what they were called.
    I'm gonna checkout Ableton. Does it have good soundbanks? I'd like to get a nice setup like that sometime. I just have a feeling if I dropped some bread on gear, they'd end up collecting dust.

    If somebody would've asked that to me in college I would've been like "No!!!! You got any?"

  26. #26
    Cylon357's Avatar
    Cylon357 is online now Nice Guy Cy
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,980
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluidic Kimbo View Post
    wango = prox?



    Prox, is that you?
    You know, I wonder: does it effing matter? So what if an old banned member is returning and behaving themselves? As long as they are behaving themselves, who cares? This type of thing is a distraction.
    Fluidic Kimbo likes this.

  27. #27
    Fluidic Kimbo's Avatar
    Fluidic Kimbo is online now Morale Officer (de facto)
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    3,133
    Quote Originally Posted by cylon357 View Post
    You know, I wonder: does it effing matter? So what if an old banned member is returning and behaving themselves? As long as they are behaving themselves, who cares? This type of thing is a distraction.
    I hold the record for what you just described. I've over a dozen names on this forum.

  28. #28
    wango's Avatar
    wango is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Posts
    1,513
    Congrats and very best of luck with everyone’s musical goals. Honestly, I wish my parents would have insisted and pushed me into music lessons as a child.

  29. #29
    Test Monsterone's Avatar
    Test Monsterone is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    2,209
    Quote Originally Posted by Honkey_Kong View Post
    I'm gonna checkout Ableton. Does it have good soundbanks? I'd like to get a nice setup like that sometime. I just have a feeling if I dropped some bread on gear, they'd end up collecting dust.

    If somebody would've asked that to me in college I would've been like "No!!!! You got any?"
    Yeah, Ableton has a good amount of sample banks, drum kits, and it's own synthesizers and samplers. It is very versatile and the easiest to use if you make electronic music imo. You have to get the suite, which is more expensive, if you want everything. Otherwise, the stripped down version is cheaper.

    You don't really need all that gear to make great music. You can make bangers with just a laptop and a midi controller, and some VSTs. The outboard stuff is expensive, and not all that necessary... but it's fun to use and looks really cool
    Honkey_Kong likes this.

  30. #30
    Cylon357's Avatar
    Cylon357 is online now Nice Guy Cy
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,980
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Honkey_Kong View Post
    It's definitely easier to learn when you're younger (I took piano lessons in college and I was struggling a lot more than my niece who was 5 and was also taking lessons). My parents actually tried to deter me from playing guitar, but there wasn't much they could do to stop me once I discovered Headbangers Ball. It's harder, now that I'm middle age, to find time to play and some days I can't find time at all.
    Headbangers Ball... man, that takes me back. Back to when MTV played videos. I do have to say I wanted to hit Ricky Ractman or whatever his name was with a folding chair though.

    Do you remember "Metal Shop?" It was a syndicated radio program, maybe mid to late '80s. Same sort of thing, just on the radio.
    Last edited by Cylon357; 10-20-2020 at 07:47 AM.
    almostgone likes this.

  31. #31
    Fluidic Kimbo's Avatar
    Fluidic Kimbo is online now Morale Officer (de facto)
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    3,133
    SampsonandDelilah and DustMan like this.

  32. #32
    SampsonandDelilah's Avatar
    SampsonandDelilah is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    La Cocina
    Posts
    3,227
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluidic Kimbo View Post

    The tin whistle sounded pretty damn good. Nice work
    Fluidic Kimbo likes this.

  33. #33
    DustMan is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    236
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluidic Kimbo View Post
    Very nice! Surprise DE at the end was the cherry on top
    Fluidic Kimbo likes this.

  34. #34
    Fluidic Kimbo's Avatar
    Fluidic Kimbo is online now Morale Officer (de facto)
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    3,133
    SampsonandDelilah likes this.

  35. #35
    Honkey_Kong's Avatar
    Honkey_Kong is online now Superbowl XLIX Champs!
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    The Dude Abides
    Posts
    9,581
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluidic Kimbo View Post
    Sing us a song, you're the piano man
    Sing us a song tonight
    Well, we're all in the mood for a melody
    And you've got us feelin' alright

  36. #36
    SampsonandDelilah's Avatar
    SampsonandDelilah is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    La Cocina
    Posts
    3,227
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluidic Kimbo View Post

    Well shit,

    Now I’m gonna have to dig up my harmonica and see if I can even come close to that. You’re obviously pretty musical. Now quit being such a nut
    Cylon357 and Fluidic Kimbo like this.

  37. #37
    Fluidic Kimbo's Avatar
    Fluidic Kimbo is online now Morale Officer (de facto)
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    3,133
    Quote Originally Posted by SampsonandDelilah View Post
    Now I’m gonna have to dig up my harmonica and see if I can even come close to that. You’re obviously pretty musical. Now quit being such a nut
    I don't have a harp at the moment but next I suppose is guitar.... followed by a flute.....
    SampsonandDelilah likes this.

  38. #38
    Cylon357's Avatar
    Cylon357 is online now Nice Guy Cy
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,980
    Blog Entries
    1
    Since this is music oriented and I figure some of y'all might enjoy this, there is a band of performers that go by 'Classic Albums Live'. They basically tour various parts of the country and their act is picking a classic rock album, like 'The Wall', and then playing it all the way through. That's the first half of the show, the second half is usually a greatest hits thing. They come to our area fairly often (well before gaddong 2020) and The Wife and I have been several times to the Hard Rock in Orlando. We have seen:

    Are You Experienced? - Jimi Hendrix
    Rumours - Fleetwood Mac
    The Wall - Pink Floyd
    Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd
    Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd
    The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust - David Bowie
    Sticky Fingers - The Rolling Stones
    Led Zeppelin IV - Led Zeppelin
    Houses of the Holy - Led Zeppelin
    Physical Graffiti - Led Zeppelin
    Back in Black - AC/DC
    Greatest Hits - The Eagles

    Those are some big damn shoes to fill and they did great jobs every time. So, if you enjoy live music and classic rock, I highly recommend these shows. When shows are a thing again.
    SampsonandDelilah likes this.

  39. #39
    SampsonandDelilah's Avatar
    SampsonandDelilah is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    La Cocina
    Posts
    3,227
    Blog Entries
    1
    Love every album on that list! I’ll keep an eye out, live love music and love classic rock!

  40. #40
    Fluidic Kimbo's Avatar
    Fluidic Kimbo is online now Morale Officer (de facto)
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    3,133
    SampsonandDelilah likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •