• 1 Post By Honkey_Kong
  • 2 Post By Mooseman33
  • 1 Post By DinAZ
  • 2 Post By DinAZ
  • 1 Post By < <Samson> >
  • 3 Post By Cuz
  • 1 Post By DinAZ
  • 1 Post By < <Samson> >

Thread: How much could you bench before you starting using chemicals?

Mr. Small is offline Member

How much could you bench before you starting using chemicals?

After a long lay off, I quickly got back up to 100kg/220lbs on the bench with about 9 weeks training. My diet is super clean.

How far can you go natty on the bench?

SampsonandDelilah is offline Knowledgeable Member
    That’s like asking how many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie roll pop…the world may never know
    XnavyHMCS and flexin-rph like this.

Quote Originally Posted by SampsonandDelilah View Post
    That’s like asking how many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie roll pop…the world may never know
    Surley you know what you benched before the pins.
    I'm benching 100kg at 5'8 after long lay off. I used gear years ago, but nothing recently

I know I wasn’t at my natural genetic capacity prior to jumping on gear. I benched 315 in college before I used deca for the first time. Other than that I can’t really remember
    Mr. Small likes this.

I know I wasn’t at my natural genetic capacity prior to jumping on gear. I benched 315 in college before I used deca for the first time. Other than that I can’t really remember
    That's 150kg all natty. Don't think I'll ever get that far, even on gear

It’s all relative to body weight as well.

It’s always been interesting to me why the bench press has been this quasi universal standard for strength. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been asked “how much do you bench bro”?

I actually bench quite a fucking bit…but always answer “not as much as I used to”.

How much do you weigh and how much would you like it to go up?

Though I’ve never done it, the Smolov method is pretty popular. For me, strengthening my triceps and front delts helped me tremendously.

To your original question though, I still find it’s difficult to qualify natty vs on gear because the majority of us jump on long before we’ve got our genetic maximums
    Last edited by SampsonandDelilah; 08-09-2021 at 07:40 PM.

Test Monsterone is offline Anabolic Member
    Yup, S&D, that's the age-old question. "How much do you bench?" There really are so many techniques and variables which can pretty drastically make a difference in the amount of weight one can put up. Doing the Scott Mendelson method vs having the back flat on the bench will yield totally different results.

Now with that said, when I was around 22-23, I believe I was my strongest on bench. I could flat bench (no arched back, back completely flat), 6 45's, 2 10's and 2 5's around 3-4 times. This was 10 years before I touched gear. I've always hated maxing out on things where I can only do a couple of reps. That's where injuries happen for me. I don't like to go there.

These days I have a nagging shoulder injury, elbows that don't always feel great, and I haven't done the flat bench in a couple of years. When I was on cycle at the gym I could comfortably do 10-12 reps of 125 lb dumbells. I haven't tried to max in years, and don't even want to again. I'm very comfortable at my house just doing 75s with 20 rep sets. I get much better results with lower weight and higher reps/ more focus on the contraction.

Honkey_Kong is online now Superbowl XLIX Champs!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Small View Post
    That's 150kg all natty. Don't think I'll ever get that far, even on gear
    How much you can bench only counts at powerlifting meets. The important thing is making forward progress whether it be weights or reps. Or in some cases trying to maintain what you can still do for longer.

Everybody have different start points in their journey. Everybody has different levels of potential that they can untap. Now I'm not saying some doofus who can barely squat 100kg should even be thinking of running gear, but the point where I think it's acceptable varies from person to person and really depends on what their long-term goals are.
    Mr. Small likes this.

I’m proud as shit of my numbers, impossible to not feel like a douche bag saying it out loud though. I choose the high road every time and I’m not exaggerating when I say it’s been easily at least twice a week on average, at the gym and usually at the airport. What I want to say is “more than you”. Lol
    Mr. Small and bethdoth like this.

It’s all relative to body weight as well.

It’s always been interesting to me why the bench press has been this quasi universal standard for strength. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been asked “how much do you bench bro”?

I actually bench quite a fucking bit…but always answer “not as much as I used to”.

How much do you weigh and how much would you like it to go up?

Though I’ve never done it, the Smolov method is pretty popular. For me, strengthening my triceps and front delts helped me tremendously.

To your original question though, I still find it’s difficult to qualify natty vs on gear because the majority of us jump on long before we’ve got our genetic maximums
    I'm overweight at the moment after long lay off, but lean I'd say 170lbs at 5'8.

The friendly gym instructor, that is my exact same height and takes tren quite frequently, benches 120kg/265lbs and that's where I'd like to be.

No gear atm, but I'm constantly gaining 1 rep per week like clockwork so far.
    SampsonandDelilah likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cylon357 View Post
    OP, a general rule of thumb regarding strength to body weight ratios I like to use looks like this. All numbers are relative to bodyweight for a male.

General population strong:
    Squat 1.5x
    Bench 1x
    Dead lift 2x
    Overhead press .75x

So, a 200lb dude that squats 300, Bench 200, deads 400 and presses 150 would be stout enough for the everyday person to say "man you are strong"

But in the gym, the scales change a bit.
    Basic gym strong:
    Squat 2x
    Bench 1.5x
    Deadlift 2.5x
    Over head press 1x

That 200lb dude needs to squat 400, Bench 300, dead 500 and press 200 to start getting noticed in the gym as 'strong'

Real vague and not terribly scientific but I saw it one time and thought it was as good a scale as any.
    If I go natural for a while and then diet down to 170, I reckon I could reach the goals with some gear. I wouldn't be a kamikaze pilot with the chemicals either, safe cycling all the way
    DinAZ likes this.

https://www.healthline.com/health/ex...verage-for-men

According to this, I’m elite…even for a 320+ pound man.

So take the chart with a grain of salt. Lol! Hardly believe I’m elite
    Lol!

bethdoth is offline Knowledgeable Member

Lol!
    IAW that chart i'm in-between advanced and elite, but if you throw in my age @60 I think that might bump me up a touch.
    SampsonandDelilah and DinAZ like this.

Quote Originally Posted by bethdoth View Post
    IAW that chart i'm in-between advanced and elite, but if you throw in my age @60 I think that might bump me up a touch.

Hey, take the elite where we can get it

Age definitely plays a significant factor when you look at their charts
    bethdoth likes this.

Honkey_Kong is online now Superbowl XLIX Champs!

Lol!
    I couldn't get that chart to load on that site, but I found this one:

https://strengthlevel.com/strength-s...bench-press/lb
    SampsonandDelilah likes this.

Mooseman33 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    i rep more on close grip bench then normal bench now.

i rep 315 for 6 on close grip and dont go over 275 on flat normal.

shoulders are getting old.

DinAZ is offline Associate Member
    I’ve never benched more than 245. I played basketball and tennis so was fairly skinny then. My bench sucks since injuring shoulder but it is slowly coming back. My long term goal over a few years is to get to 315. My short term goal is just to get back to 4 plates/225. My left shoulder holds me back but it’s improving fast as long as I keep lifting, and focusing on bracing & posture both in and out of gym.
    wango likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bethdoth View Post
    For sure. I gotta think your bench at 60 is 0.1% of the population, definitely elite. You’d have a great physique for a 30 year old and an insane physique for a 60 year old.

wango is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DinAZ View Post
    I’ve never benched more than 245. I played basketball and tennis so was fairly skinny then. My bench sucks since injuring shoulder but it is slowly coming back. My long term goal over a few years is to get to 315. My short term goal is just to get back to 4 plates/225. My left shoulder holds me back but it’s improving fast as long as I keep lifting, and focusing on bracing & posture both in and out of gym.
    Just be careful to not let pride get in your way. If that shoulder is shifting, you are not doing your rotator cuff a favor. I was similar to you, a lean tall basketball player. With my long arms, my max bench was 225. It’s all machines these days, but oddly can do close grip bench even with f’d up shoulders.

Quote Originally Posted by wango View Post
    Just be careful to not let pride get in your way. If that shoulder is shifting, you are not doing your rotator cuff a favor. I was similar to you, a lean tall basketball player. With my long arms, my max bench was 225. It’s all machines these days, but oddly can do close grip bench even with f’d up shoulders.
    Definitely will do. I generally don’t do a max on something much higher than what I can do 6-12 of, just because it helps protect me from injury. For example I’m doing 3x12 hip sled at 540lbs with effort but not near max. I can hit 720x6. I’d like to hit a 1000lbs for 1 or more reps but I won’t attempt that until I can do 810 for at least 2x12 or 3x12. I think being older makes it easier to focus on form and not ego lift compared to early 20s. I only compete with myself in the weight room at this point in life.
    XnavyHMCS and wango like this.

< <Samson> > is offline Neurologically Intact
    Blog Entries
    It all depends

Me - I could barely push 135 < and, I tried for years - maybe maxed out at 150Lbs

But, I didn’t know that my natural test levels were in the mid 300’s

On juice - I max out a little over tripple plates

I repped 110 Lb Dumbbells

Now - after my health shit - I push at 70-80% & push 12+ rep sets

I seen all natural guys push what I push now < we’re all different
    DinAZ likes this.

Cuz
    Cuz is offline VET
    Probably not gonna find many true to science answers, its a possibility but not likely. I hopped on gear at 20 years old so i never went to may natty limits, although id confidently say id probably not bench much over 225. When i first picked up bench pressing, 95lbs was a working set and it was fairly heavy when I was 18. Now at 36, ive benched 425 competition @ 218 and 455 in the gym @223. My shoulder is tore at the moment, and 365 feels heavy …
    DinAZ, SampsonandDelilah and Chark like this.

Quote Originally Posted by < > View Post
    It all depends

Me - I could barely push 135 < and, I tried for years - maybe maxed out at 150Lbs

But, I didn’t know that my natural test levels were in the mid 300’s

On juice - I max out a little over tripple plates

I repped 110 Lb Dumbbells

Now - after my health shit - I push at 70-80% & push 12+ rep sets

I seen all natural guys push what I push now < we’re all different
    I can relate to that. When I was young I could hit 2 plates but that was also my body weight so nothing impressive but I’d do 135-175 for reps. Now I’m barely putting up 135 for reps but the fact the bar is going up straight is a win. I couldn’t even bar bench 6 months ago so Im just taking the small victories instead of worrying about weight.

Squats and hipsled or leg press are the only things I can hit a somewhat respectable weight on.

My natural build is strong legs and a weak bird chest so hearing stories like yours is good for me. Stories like yours help me realize my goals are all possible if I stick with consistent training. Oh yeah, and also inject some testosterone

Blog Entries
    I can relate to that. When I was young I could hit 2 plates but that was also my body weight so nothing impressive but I’d do 135-175 for reps. Now I’m barely putting up 135 for reps but the fact the bar is going up straight is a win. I couldn’t even bar bench 6 months ago so Im just taking the small victories instead of worrying about weight.

Squats and hipsled or leg press are the only things I can hit a somewhat respectable weight on.

My natural build is strong legs and a weak bird chest so hearing stories like yours is good for me. Stories like yours help me realize my goals are all possible if I stick with consistent training. Oh yeah, and also inject some testosterone
    Why? What happened? < I miss something?

I hit all my maxes after my head “incident” - and, it’s all about maintenance - as long as possible

I stopped working out like 8 years ago after I had a back injury and I also separated my shoulder since then crashing a quad doing doughnuts like an idiot.

So right now I’m mainly focusing on recomp and fixing any imbalances as much as possible. After recomp I’m going to work on cutting more fat and finally after that I can work on bulking.
    < <Samson> > likes this.

Blog Entries
    I stopped working out like 8 years ago after I had a back injury and I also separated my shoulder since then crashing a quad doing doughnuts like an idiot.

So right now I’m mainly focusing on recomp and fixing any imbalances as much as possible. After recomp I’m going to work on cutting more fat and finally after that I can work on bulking.

Ah,

I figured it had to be health/injury related

It’s crazy how an injury can just set you back so so far
    DinAZ likes this.

I’ll blame some on the injury but mostly on me acting like a lazy pill popper. A few years of that will sure put T levels in the toilet. Then after 6 months mostly in bed post injury and then years of not working out & opioids had me about as weak as a kitten. On my 38th birthday i realized if I don’t take my fitness serious again starting now I’m gonna turn 40 and b fat as fuck and miserable.

Thread Information