• 2 Post By wango
  • 1 Post By davimeireles
  • 1 Post By wango
  • 1 Post By Honkey_Kong

Thread: Herniated Disc and Weight Lifting

davimeireles is online now Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Herniated Disc and Weight Lifting

The doctor prohibited my brother from training due to a herniated disc, I thought this doctor was exaggerating.
    What do you think about herniated disc and keep training?

Booz is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    My lower disk is crushed and it hasn’t stopped me training at all…
    Have sciatica along with it…
    Just have to work around it mate…
    Some Doctors automatically say stop training…
    Fuck them just be careful…

Remember.............for us to help you you need to help us....................stats and exp.........

Source checks and Ugl's to be kept to PM's
    dont ask for source checks unless you have 100 posts/and 45 days minimum as a participating member.........

Booz.. a long-standing member of the AR Police:

sorry but absolutely no sources will be checked at this present time....

charger69 is online now Knowledgeable Member
    Be extremely careful. I had a disk that had a miniscule opening. You have nerves that go down through them. One of those nerves controls bowel and urinary functions. You severe that and you are wearing diapers for life.
    I had the above situation and they had to operate as soon as possible so that it would not ruin the nerve. There is no repair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wango is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by davimeireles View Post
    The doctor prohibited my brother from training due to a herniated disc, I thought this doctor was exaggerating.
    There’s a LOT of variables to factor in Davi. What are his symptoms and did an MRI indicate the disc damage?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wango View Post
    There’s a LOT of variables to factor in Davi. What are his symptoms and did an MRI indicate the disc damage?
    Hi Wango, it's not me, it's my brother. He had the Magnetic Resonance and the disc hernia was found. The doctor told him he couldn't train anymore, and since then he has been living in a sedentary lifestyle.
    wango likes this.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Booz View Post
    Thanks, I said this to my brother, I told him that many guys who have herniated discs train normally.

I think only some exercises should be cut

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by charger69 View Post
    Be extremely careful. I had a disk that had a miniscule opening. You have nerves that go down through them. One of those nerves controls bowel and urinary functions. You severe that and you are wearing diapers for life.
    I had the above situation and they had to operate as soon as possible so that it would not ruin the nerve. There is no repair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the advice, I already suspected that.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Booz View Post

Thanks

XnavyHMCS is offline Member
    Dav, brother...!!!

There many discs, in the spine...

In what region does he have the herniation? C, T, L, Sacral...???

Knowledge of the region, will give us a bit more to build on possible effects.

I have problems (recently diagnosed) in my c and T region... I am playing a game of cat and mouse with exercises which do not agitate the problem...

Best of luck to him...
    davimeireles, almostgone and wango like this.

Hi Wango, it's not me, it's my brother. He had the Magnetic Resonance and the disc hernia was found. The doctor told him he couldn't train anymore, and since then he has been living in a sedentary lifestyle.
    Yes, I understand. Then it’s possible that at this time it would be best that he doesn’t, but once again there are so many variables, I need info. Older folks vs younger folks makes a difference. As you age you lose more and more of the gelatinous middle of the disc (it’s why we may shrink in height). Tell me his age, how long he’s had it & what are his symptoms? Is it to the point where he is experiencing muscle weakness in his leg (I’m assuming its a disc in his lower back). And as Charger alluded to, once you start becoming incontinent of bowel or bladder because of a disc, well that ain’t good.
    almostgone likes this.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by XnavyHMCS View Post
    Dav, brother...!!!

There many discs, in the spine...

In what region does he have the herniation? C, T, L, Sacral...???

Knowledge of the region, will give us a bit more to build on possible effects.

I have problems (recently diagnosed) in my c and T region... I am playing a game of cat and mouse with exercises which do not agitate the problem...

Best of luck to him...
    It's L4 and L5

Blog Entries
    Yes, I understand. Then it’s possible that at this time it would be best that he doesn’t, but once again there are so many variables, I need info. Older folks vs younger folks makes a difference. As you age you lose more and more of the gelatinous middle of the disc (it’s why we may shrink in height). Tell me his age, how long he’s had it & what are his symptoms? Is it to the point where he is experiencing muscle weakness in his leg (I’m assuming its a disc in his lower back). And as Charger alluded to, once you start becoming incontinent of bowel or bladder because of a disc, well that ain’t good.
    My brother is 37 years old,
    he has always trained bodybuilding throughout his life. Currently he feels pain in his lower back from discomfort only. These are the only symptoms.

Blog Entries
    He found out that he had a herniated disc at the end of last year, and since then he has been afraid to train with weight for fear it will get worse. I advised him to continue training lightly, but he chose to stop anyway.

Hoss34 is offline Junior Member
    I've had two herniated discs along with sciatica. My crazy ass still trained including dead lifts. I'm stupid. Learn from my mistake. Get surgery, recover, then slowly get back to lifting.
    davimeireles likes this.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoss34 View Post
    I've had two herniated discs along with sciatica. My crazy ass still trained including dead lifts. I'm stupid. Learn from my mistake. Get surgery, recover, then slowly get back to lifting.
    Is the surgery very smooth, or is it risky?

Hoss34 is offline Junior Member
    Is the surgery very smooth, or is it risky?
    I wouldn't call it risky at all. What's risky is when you let it go without proper treatment. Of course all surgeries are different. Not sure who the doctor was that worked with your brother. Maybe get a second opinion along with an MRI. The doctor I seen was the same one who performed the surgery on me. Do some research and get a second opinion.
    davimeireles likes this.

Blog Entries
    I wouldn't call it risky at all. What's risky is when you let it go without proper treatment. Of course all surgeries are different. Not sure who the doctor was that worked with your brother. Maybe get a second opinion along with an MRI. The doctor I seen was the same one who performed the surgery on me. Do some research and get a second opinion.
    Makes sense!

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    2 back surgeries, L3 & L4 herniated, L5/S1 ruptured didnt stop me. Slowed me down for a while. Messed up shoulders have pretty much put a stop to things the last several years but hope to turn that around again soon.

956Vette is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    Blog Entries

Your brother is lucky to have you looking out

I wouldn't call it risky at all. What's risky is when you let it go without proper treatment.
    Word to the wise! Biggest risk is not knowing what to do or who to turn to had your brothers condition get worse. In my experience, insurance pulled the rug out day before spine surgery, should have known better & paid cash to operate immediately, as time is of the essence when nerve is pinched (lost significant ability to walk, just to receive a motion-preserving operation a day late, dollar short).

Definitely understandable if your brother remains depressed and unexcited by yoga/physical therapy, hopefully he can make a comeback asap. Best of luck!
    davimeireles likes this.

My brother is 37 years old,
    he has always trained bodybuilding throughout his life. Currently he feels pain in his lower back from discomfort only. These are the only symptoms.
    Without asking a zillion more questions and trying to edit myself which Iím never good at:

If itís only isolated to that region of injury - GREAT.

The goal is always, the pain should be improving from when it first occurred. It might take months for it to disappear, but what is important is not doing things to make the pain worse.

That said, the doctorís objective to telling him not to train was to avoid that situation, because the doctor likely doesnít know a lot of what goes on in the gym.

Obviously, there are exercises that put more pressure and risk on the area so more caution needs to occur. Just remember, that the no pain, no gain principle, NEVER applies to an injured area & you never want to make a herniated disc worse.

Surgery generally is reserved for discs that are damaging the spinal nerve roots so badly that they are causing muscle weakness in the muscles that that particular spinal nerve root supply/control. I can guarantee you that there are tons of folks walking around that have herniated discs with little or no symptoms & have no idea that they even have a disc problem.

Always a pleasure exchanging posts with you Davi. Great looking avi photo BTW.
    davimeireles and 956Vette like this.

Blog Entries
    Without asking a zillion more questions and trying to edit myself which Iím never good at:

If itís only isolated to that region of injury - GREAT.

The goal is always, the pain should be improving from when it first occurred. It might take months for it to disappear, but what is important is not doing things to make the pain worse.

That said, the doctorís objective to telling him not to train was to avoid that situation, because the doctor likely doesnít know a lot of what goes on in the gym.

Obviously, there are exercises that put more pressure and risk on the area so more caution needs to occur. Just remember, that the no pain, no gain principle, NEVER applies to an injured area & you never want to make a herniated disc worse.

Surgery generally is reserved for discs that are damaging the spinal nerve roots so badly that they are causing muscle weakness in the muscles that that particular spinal nerve root supply/control. I can guarantee you that there are tons of folks walking around that have herniated discs with little or no symptoms & have no idea that they even have a disc problem.

Always a pleasure exchanging posts with you Davi. Great looking avi photo BTW.
    Thanks for all your contributions, it's great to hear opinions from a guy with life experience like you. I hope to reach your age with all this knowledge and health.
    wango likes this.

Thanks for all your contributions, it's great to hear opinions from a guy with life experience like you. I hope to reach your age with all this knowledge and health.
    You better reach my age buddy! Youíre a great guy Davi, thanks for the compliment.

I did/do have an advantage though, Iíve been married to an angel for over 35 years. I donít really think Iíd be alive or functional without that gift. Please do PM me if you want, Iím sincerely interested how your brother is doing.
    davimeireles likes this.

Honkey_Kong is offline Superbowl XLIX Champs!
    If you've got a herniated disc, just work around the injury and let it heal. Just because your lower back is hurt with this sort of injury, it doesn't mean you can't work your chest, arms and do some stuff with your legs.
    davimeireles likes this.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Honkey_Kong View Post
    If you've got a herniated disc, just work around the injury and let it heal. Just because your lower back is hurt with this sort of injury, it doesn't mean you can't work your chest, arms and do some stuff with your legs.
    Depending on it can get worse isn't it?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Honkey_Kong View Post
    Depending on it can get worse isn't it?

Thread Information