• 1 Post By JaneDoe
  • 1 Post By wango
  • 1 Post By JaneDoe
  • 1 Post By wango
  • 1 Post By JaneDoe

Thread: Dave Draper Book

wango is offline Anabolic Member

Dave Draper Book

Just read the first two chapters, but I’m hooked.

He has a the writing style that’s seems to be a bit poetic, so may not appeal to everyone. Though “poetic”, it still manages to be basic and to the point: “I learned how to spot incorrectly by dropping a dumbbell on my training partner’s head”. There’s no arrogance, there’s no pics.

I’m finding it’s simplicity really cool and his words motivating. I ain’t missing football today, but can’t wait to workout tomorrow. I haven’t read anything in a long while that has had that affect.

RIP Blond Bomber.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dave Draper Book-2b75bfcf-423e-4421-8c86-697ac0c863f3.jpeg  

JaneDoe is offline Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wango View Post
    Just read the first two chapters, but I’m hooked.

He has a the writing style that’s seems to be a bit poetic, so may not appeal to everyone. Though “poetic”, it still manages to be basic and to the point: “I learned how to spot incorrectly by dropping a dumbbell on my training partner’s head”. There’s no arrogance, there’s no pics.

I’m finding it’s simplicity really cool and his words motivating. I ain’t missing football today, but can’t wait to workout tomorrow. I haven’t read anything in a long while that has had that affect.

RIP Blond Bomber.
    How can I get this book? I would like to read
    wango likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by davimeireles View Post
    How can I get this book? I would like to read
    I only buy off of Amazon because I am lazy. But honestly, I think the book might ultimately be a mess. It’s release in 2020 (after his death). The next few chapters have me worried what the rest of the book will bring. Still digging his writing style though & ready for tomorrow’s workout.
    JaneDoe likes this.

Blog Entries
    I only buy off of Amazon because I am lazy. But honestly, I think the book might ultimately be a mess. It’s release in 2020 (after his death). The next few chapters have me worried what the rest of the book will bring. Still digging his writing style though & ready for tomorrow’s workout.
    I'll put it on my shopping list!
    wango likes this.

OK, this book is not typical of what you’d expect about bodybuilding, but it is interesting. I think it’s intended for an older audience. There’s not a lot of detail, but it’s a collection of real cool little individual stories. I particularly like the stories from the 60’s. Workouts in THE gym in Venice, before Golds (you’ll never look at your gym the same again). The building of Golds in which Draper and countless others helped hand-build the place. Mini-stories about Park, Zane, Serge Nubret, Bill Pearl, etc. His discussions regarding training is so basic, so casual. Damn if there were accompanying pics, this would be insane.

Since he talked about his brief experience in Hollywood, I think I’m checking this flick out tonight, looks like it’s on Amazon. Heck, I’ve only seen one Sharon Tate movie, so that alone might be cool. Worse case scenario, FF looking for parts with Draper.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dave Draper Book-0b24af6b-9e31-4702-8091-a35d37138118.jpeg  
    JaneDoe likes this.

Blog Entries
    This book is great!
    wango likes this.

This book is great!
    Glad you are enjoying it Davi!
    JaneDoe likes this.

Blog Entries
    Glad you are enjoying it Davi!
    Have you finished reading? I'm in chapter 2
    wango likes this.

Have you finished reading? I'm in chapter 2
    Yes, but I’ve got a LOT of time, so I read books quickly. I’m on another earlier book of his now, but not liking it as much, although I am putting stickers on the quotes of his that I really like. His writing about working out in his older years is very enjoyable to me.

“Aerobic exercise is out of the question as the equipment is up a flight of stairs.”

“I can do more, but it only wears me rather than repairs me. I ain’t dumb, I ain’t. I must restrain myself, rather than strain myself”.

As I started reading Muscle & Fitness around 1970, I remember almost all of the names he will be referencing in the later chapters in the first book. I hope that you’ll keep enjoying the rest of the book, but I’m not sure if you’ll know some of the guys he is talking about.

Damn, if only he was into taking pictures of all his experiences, it would be incredible. His description of Serge Nubret’s tiny gym is laughable. One thing for sure, you will never think that the gym you are working out at now is ever under equipped or not ideal. Man has lifting, gyms & equipment come a long way.

Thread Information