• 4 Post By almostgone
  • 1 Post By wango
  • 1 Post By almostgone
  • 1 Post By wango

Thread: Strong flu and recovery

davimeireles is online now Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Strong flu and recovery

Well, after the new year I contracted a very bad flu (H3N2 - not covid omicron as many were pointing out. I had 5 bad days with fever, dry cough, diarrhea, vomiting, and common medicine didn't help. Only fast acting prednisone that got me back. Now I'm going to use 600mg of NAC to ensure my immunity, because these viruses catch us when we least expect it.

Fluidic Kimbo is online now Morale Officer (de facto)
    Quote Originally Posted by davimeireles View Post
    Well, after the new year I contracted a very bad flu (H3N2 - not covid omicron as many were pointing out. I had 5 bad days with fever, dry cough, diarrhea, vomiting, and common medicine didn't help. Only fast acting prednisone that got me back. Now I'm going to use 600mg of NAC to ensure my immunity, because these viruses catch us when we least expect it.
    I think it's good to catch a disease now and again that doesn't kill you. Your immune system needs the occasional sparring session.

When I get sick, I always try not to take medicine for it. When I get a headache or a sore throat, I'll tolerate it for a while until it becomes unbearable -- but then I'll only take ibuprofen, paracetamol, aspirin. It's been years since I needed anything stronger (e.g. codeine, tramadol) for relief.

I have covid right now, I tested positive on Thursday of last week, and again yesterday (which is strange because it should be gone by now -- in particular since I'm vaccinated). I was coughing and sneezing for about 3 days before I actually tested positive for covid, I got three negative tests in a row when I was coughing, so it might have just been a cold or flu. But then later I picked up covid, so right now I might have covid and a flu simultaneously. Either way I'm still alive, still working, still eating, still going to the gym and running. This will have done my immune system good.
    davimeireles likes this.

TinyNutzzz is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluidic Kimbo View Post
    I think it's good to catch a disease now and again that doesn't kill you. Your immune system needs the occasional sparring session.

When I get sick, I always try not to take medicine for it. When I get a headache or a sore throat, I'll tolerate it for a while until it becomes unbearable -- but then I'll only take ibuprofen, paracetamol, aspirin. It's been years since I needed anything stronger (e.g. codeine, tramadol) for relief.

I have covid right now, I tested positive on Thursday of last week, and again yesterday (which is strange because it should be gone by now -- in particular since I'm vaccinated). I was coughing and sneezing for about 3 days before I actually tested positive for covid, I got three negative tests in a row when I was coughing, so it might have just been a cold or flu. But then later I picked up covid, so right now I might have covid and a flu simultaneously. Either way I'm still alive, still working, still eating, still going to the gym and running. This will have done my immune system good.
    So since you are still living a normal life, Do you wear a mask? Have you quarantined or is it just life as normal. I myself have not caught the vid,I'm also not vaxed. I've been tested multiple times since my kids have had close contacts at school. My wife actually caught the vid and had it for almost 3wks and neither myself or 3 daughters from age 2 to 12 nvr caught it either. I'm not trying to be noisy but since you brought it up I fingered I'd ask..

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

wango is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by davimeireles View Post
    Itís the flu, there are no meds to cure it; maybe some can reduce the symptoms a bit though. Oddly, almost exactly one century ago we were in the same boat. After the 1918 (Spanish Flu), like Covid there were follow up waves in 1919. Then the 1919-1920 flu was one of the deadliest recorded flu seasons ever recorded. A few more months to go, great time for the Olympics and a shit-load of international travel . . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by TinyNutzzz View Post
    So since you are still living a normal life, Do you wear a mask? Have you quarantined or is it just life as normal.
    It's just life as normal but I'm not approaching people who look old or unfirm.

Yesterday I went to see a play in a theatre by myself, and I sat in the front row. An old lady with a walking stick came and sat down beside me.. I wouldn't have voluntarily sat beside her knowing I was positive but anyway I stayed and watched the play.

Quote Originally Posted by wango View Post
    Oddly, almost exactly one century ago we were in the same boat. After the 1918 (Spanish Flu), like Covid there were follow up waves in 1919.
    I'm intrigued Prox, please tell us more about that time period. Did your family have a radio? Did you wear a wrist watch?
    wango likes this.

Blog Entries
    It’s the flu, there are no meds to cure it; maybe some can reduce the symptoms a bit though. Oddly, almost exactly one century ago we were in the same boat. After the 1918 (Spanish Flu), like Covid there were follow up waves in 1919. Then the 1919-1920 flu was one of the deadliest recorded flu seasons ever recorded. A few more months to go, great time for the Olympics and a shit-load of international travel . . . . . .
    Yes, but the flu is spread because many people travel with the virus, entering airports, etc. And entering the country, if there was a stricter inspection, the outbreak of these flu could be avoided!

I received my family members after New Year's who were at the beach on the coast, where the flu outbreak was very tense! I'm sure it was they who gave me the flu, and it's not a mild flu. I was sick for 5 days.

'-"
    wango likes this.

Blog Entries
    It's just life as normal but I'm not approaching people who look old or unfirm.

Yesterday I went to see a play in a theatre by myself, and I sat in the front row. An old lady with a walking stick came and sat down beside me.. I wouldn't have voluntarily sat beside her knowing I was positive but anyway I stayed and watched the play.
    Poor old lady, you don't know her health is fragile?

I'm intrigued Prox, please tell us more about that time period. Did your family have a radio? Did you wear a wrist watch?
    Well I was a bit more energetic in 1920, thatís for darn sure! Got to be honest, I wasnít working out back then though to take advantage of that boundless energy, not even push-ups. Nope, no radio, but had a cheap pocket watch, but BOOM, that Great Depression thing comes along and I had to sell that pocket watch so we had a bit of food. Donít think I got another watch till the 1940ís, but my memory is fading a bit now, so Iím not so sure.
    Fluidic Kimbo likes this.

almostgone is online now AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    It’s the flu, there are no meds to cure it; maybe some can reduce the symptoms a bit though. Oddly, almost exactly one century ago we were in the same boat. After the 1918 (Spanish Flu), like Covid there were follow up waves in 1919. Then the 1919-1920 flu was one of the deadliest recorded flu seasons ever recorded. A few more months to go, great time for the Olympics and a shit-load of international travel . . . . . .
    I remember reading through the session minutes of an old Presbyterian church we used to go to until it was shut down and merged with another small church. Church was formed in 1813.

The Spanish flu was terrible. It seemed like they were listing deaths on practically every page. Keep in mind this area was even more rural than it is now. The sharecroppers that worked for the families with literally hundreds or thousands of acres were trying everything to not get sick.

Churches even had small groups of women sewing homemade masks for everyone. These weren't like today's masks, Basically a piece of cloth about the size of a bandana with a couple of extra ties.

The amount of children that died was horrible.

Edit: Couple the losses of WW1 and then getting hit with the Spanish flu, and there were some pretty high mortality rates.
    It's very though provoking reading if you read up on the 2 events. Kind of scary to think how it could have turned out if the 2 events had been simultaneous vs. slightly staggered in time.
    Last edited by almostgone; 01-14-2022 at 09:45 PM.
    davimeireles and wango like this.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

Personally, even though I am vaxxed, I'm not going out in public if I know I am COVID positive. I mean if they transferred me to a hospital I guess I would go, but I'm not going out in public when I'm knowingly sick/contagious.

My confidence is already shaky regarding the effectiveness of the vaccines and PPE we have. Not saying the vaccine doesn't work, I just don't think they they are as effective as we need them to be.

There's no politics or judgement in my post, just posting my thoughts on this whole mess we're dealing with.
    Last edited by almostgone; 01-15-2022 at 06:15 AM.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

Quote Originally Posted by almostgone View Post
    Personally, even though I am vaxxed, I'm not going out in public if I know I am COVID positive.
    If I were perfectly sane then I'd self-isolate until I test negative two days in a row.

Two weeks of isolation would put a large strain on my already-strained mind, and it might compel me to go out and arson buildings or molest children.

Therefore I've made estimates of the resulting harm of each course of action, and I think the worldwide human community is better off not to exacerbate the psychological maladies I am already afflicted with.

Personally, even though I am vaxxed, I'm not going out in public if I know I am COVID positive. I mean if they transferred me to a hospital I guess I would go, but I'm not going out in public when I'm knowingly sick/contagious.

My confidence is already shaky regarding the effectiveness of the vaccines and PPE we have. Not saying the vaccine doesn't work, I just don't think they they are as effective as we need them to be.

There's no politics or judgement in my post, just posting my thoughts on this whole mess we're dealing with.
    I hear you. At this moment I am more concerned about catching the flu, because the symptoms will be worse for me or my wife. Considering that there has been the delta mutation and now Omicron and itís still keeping the far majority of vaxed folks out of the hospital or not 6 feet under, Iím still good with the vaxís objective. But, just like the flu vax, itís got to be tweaked every year. And heck, the flu vax after all these years is still not that reliable. Even wearing a KN95 and adding a cloth mask over it ainít 100%. If you add a face shield, still ainít 100%. Itís like placing a bet, you are going with the odds.

Like you, no politics or judgement.

Despite everything, Iím still more confident now than I was 2 years ago (my goodness, is it really 2022?!?) or even 1 year ago.

Have a great weekend AG!
    almostgone likes this.

I hear you. At this moment I am more concerned about catching the flu, because the symptoms will be worse for me or my wife. Considering that there has been the delta mutation and now Omicron and it’s still keeping the far majority of vaxed folks out of the hospital or not 6 feet under, I’m still good with the vax’s objective. But, just like the flu vax, it’s got to be tweaked every year. And heck, the flu vax after all these years is still not that reliable. Even wearing a KN95 and adding a cloth mask over it ain’t 100%. If you add a face shield, still ain’t 100%. It’s like placing a bet, you are going with the odds.

Like you, no politics or judgement.

Despite everything, I’m still more confident now than I was 2 years ago (my goodness, is it really 2022?!?) or even 1 year ago.

Have a great weekend AG!
    That's seems to be the consensus among the Drs and surgeons I've talked to. This virus is going to be basically a "second" flu to deal with for quite some time.

I've got to snag my flu shot. Been so focused on the COVID mess that I haven't gotten it yet. Past due for the pneumovax as well.

Y'all have a good weekend too!
    Last edited by almostgone; 01-15-2022 at 10:47 AM.
    wango likes this.

I'm really starting to think that I simultaneously had the flu and covid. I've taken a covid fast test just now and it's negative, but I've been coughing and sneezing all day today. I still have a stuffy phlegmy chest.

So I reckon all these respiratory symptoms are from the flu, and that I just picked up covid somewhere along the way.

I'm really starting to think that I simultaneously had the flu and covid. I've taken a covid fast test just now and it's negative, but I've been coughing and sneezing all day today. I still have a stuffy phlegmy chest.

So I reckon all these respiratory symptoms are from the flu, and that I just picked up covid somewhere along the way.
    Sounds like flurona. Seriously, it's a thing. Google it.

That's seems to be the consensus among the Drs and surgeons I've talked to. This virus is going to be basically a "second" flu to deal with for quite some time.

I've got to snag my flu shot. Been so focused on the COVID mess that I haven't gotten it yet. Past due for the pneumovax as well.

Y'all have a good weekend too!
    Ironically for me, flu vaccinations give me the flu, so I avoid them. Iíve got to get my shingles vax when the healthcare system calms down in a few months.

Yup, flurona, itís out there. KN95 masks are tough working out with & doing cardio in the gym with, but I donít want this flu.
    davimeireles likes this.

Thread Information