Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree225Likes

Thread: Mental health awareness won’t stop shootings

songdog is offline ARs TOP DOG ~ MONITOR ~
    Deleted

wango is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Test Monsterone View Post
    I played Rainbow Six Rogue Spear forever, was also one of the first online games I played on the PC.

I agree that it can't be down to just this. I think it's the lack of real connections between people, a lack of community. People think that because we have cell phones and social media we are connected - that's the worst kind of connection. People need to feel like they belong to something and that they matter. We're all just anonymous people on the internet now, comparing ourselves to false idols. I always had the best experiences when there was no cell phones or social media, just real connections. People now rate themselves on how many followers they have. My utopia would be no more social media. Then we could get back to being social again.
    One of our forefathers’ influences & to many is called one of the fathers of democracy (Jean Jacques Rousseau), caught major shit prior to the French Revolution due to his views on theater. He was adamant that sitting in the dark silently at a play, with no social interaction was dangerous to society. As was his views on the glorification of certain characters that were not considered good people in those plays. Nice instincts considering that was in the 1750’s.

Had Ben Franklin not adopted JJR’s distinctive style of casual clothing, he very well would have not secured our final $ and support needed to win the end of the Revolutionary War when we were on our heels.

Think of the comments here in this forum & then apply them to kids and teens going at each other significantly more viciously. It’s not surprising the response we are seeing.

My last video game was Asteroids - wow what an upgrade from pong and Pac-Man.
    XnavyHMCS likes this.

almostgone is online now AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuz View Post
    I can see where the video games have an influence on kids but i cant justify that is the reason these godamn mfers murder innocent people. Reason i say that is bc im 37 and still play gta5 kill people for fun in the video game, played all kinds of gore games in my childhood matter of fact delta force and tom clancys rainbow six were my two favorite games for PC.

So I mean like said video games influence these kids but there is still something in the brain that is just missing when it comes to these murderers. Brain function is what i turn to. These cold blooded killers should be studied autopsied whatever

Taking guns is not the answer. Why disarm a nation of 99.9% law abiding gun owners? I personally am for more security. Gun free zones dont work, you know why? Criminals dont obey the law
    I feel the missing component is parental oversight combined with the violence of these games.

Poor enforcement of current laws is another component.

We've got out airport security at a semi-decent level. Can't we do the same to our schools?

I'm definitely not for banning firearms of any configuration, but I do think bumping the age to 21 for the sale of rifles and pistols is a decent starting point. Most 18-21 year olds can get by using slugs for deer season if they want to hunt.

One of the main reasons I feel that a lack of respect for others, poor parental oversight, and those damn FPS games are a huge contributor is this. When I started driving, if you had a truck, it has a rack in the back of the cab. Starting from roughly September to late November and again in early spring, that rack had a shotty or a rifle in it....at school, on school grounds. There were a few bow hunters, but not many.

We didn't have these issues then when a firearm was just a short walk outside to your truck....and I don't just mean 1 or 2. Without overestimating, on any given day, there at least 35-40 firearms in the student parking lot, sometimes more.

Edit: One other component may be that my mother made sure I had plenty of chores to occupy my time. If I wasn't doing homework, working a small part time job, or the occasional hunting trip or fishing, there was always chores to be done.
    Last edited by almostgone; 06-04-2022 at 05:33 PM.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

Quote Originally Posted by almostgone View Post
    I feel the missing component is parental oversight combined with the violence of these games.

We've got out airport security at a semi-decent level. Can't we do the same to our schools?

I'm definitely not for banning firearms of any configuration, but I do think bumping the age to 21 for the sale of rifles and pistols is a decent starting point. Most 18-21 year olds can get by using slugs for deer season if they want to hunt.

One of the main reasons I feel that a lack of respect for others, poor parental oversight, and those damn FPS games are a huge contributor is this. When I started driving, if you had a truck, it has a rack in the back of the cab. Starting from roughly September to late November and again in early spring, that rack had a shotty or a rifle in it....at school, on school grounds. There were a few bow hunters, but not many.

We didn't have these issues then when a firearm was just a short walk outside to your truck....and I don't just mean 1 or 2. Without overestimating, on any given day, there at least 35-40 firearms in the student parking lot, sometimes more.

Edit: One other component may be that my mother made sure I had plenty of chores to occupy my time. If I wasn't doing homework, working a small part time job, or the occasional hunting trip or fishing, there was always chores to be done.
    Yes I agree with this my mother had me in the house before the street lights came on and I better not be late.Always had a job never no homework My father always asked about that But times are different kids are a lot more in mature I believe.We were always outside doing things not inside.Hell before the war down in Fort Polk La the soldiers were complaining the training was to hard wat did they think war was going to be like? Oh wait I will call for a time out.I did 9 yrs in the Marines if anyone pulled that crap they got their ass kick that night!
    almostgone and XnavyHMCS like this.

Yes I agree with this my mother had me in the house before the street lights came on and I better not be late.Always had a job never no homework My father always asked about that But times are different kids are a lot more in mature I believe.We were always outside doing things not inside.Hell before the war down in Fort Polk La the soldiers were complaining the training was to hard wat did they think war was going to be like? Oh wait I will call for a time out.I did 9 yrs in the Marines if anyone pulled that crap they got their ass kick that night!
    SampsonandDelilah likes this.

SampsonandDelilah is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Damn forum is double posting like a mofo tofay!
    songdog and almostgone like this.

Quote Originally Posted by SampsonandDelilah View Post
    It's gotten me several times. At first, I thought it was just my crappy cell reception, but now I'm hoping it's not the server getting ready to dumps its guts.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

It's gotten me several times. At first, I thought it was just my crappy cell reception, but now I'm hoping it's not the server getting ready to dumps its guts.

Nope, not my cell signal. I didn't refresh the page or anything.
    I'm leaving imy last double post up as a badge of honor!

It has this lag thing happening, and after you “post quick reply”, it lags and still shows the same screen and I think we’re hitting it a second time. Or the server is struggling??

It has this lag thing happening, and after you “post quick reply”, it lags and still shows the same screen and I think we’re hitting it a second time. Or the server is struggling??
    Lag at server. I thought I was doing what you described and let it sit and crunch until the new post finally loaded.

It does this occasionally. Usually *Admin* has the digital gurus give it a proper spanking.

Lag at server. I thought I was doing what you described and let it sit and crunch until the new post finally loaded.

It does this occasionally. Usually *Admin* has the digital gurus give it a proper spanking.

Took almost 3 minutes to load, S&D.

At least this thread finally took a good direction
    XnavyHMCS and almostgone like this.

The next one whizzed through. Maybe Big Daddy is monitoring firearm discussions,
    XnavyHMCS likes this.

Took almost 3 minutes to load, S&D.
    This one flew…

3 minutes is crazy lol

(Editing just to see)

The next one whizzed through. Maybe Big Daddy is monitoring firearm discussions,
    Exactly

almostgone likes this.

Cuz
    Cuz is online now VET

I dont have an issue with 21 yo age limit on semi automatic rifles. Do i think it will fix anything no not really

The bottom line is there will always be criminals no matter what we do. Just look at all the bombings i mean can you go out and buy a bomb at Walmart ready to go well no.

And TM, money is not an issue for the current admin and even if they did pay your quoted salary of (60k) per officer/security guard it would be no issue whatsoever literally none. Where I am security forces military and civilian make about half that (30k) again i understand demographics but still.

And AG I completely agree with your post, this generation has way too much free time on their hands and social media. I would blame social media more than video games personally its all these kids study now. Not even many “gamers” out there. I think tightened security is really our only option to help prevent these things

Fiskevatten is offline Member
    double*
    Last edited by Fiskevatten; 06-05-2022 at 05:14 AM.

Fiskevatten is offline Member
    I tried to skim through the 4 pages of posts, I hope this wasn't mentioned already, but it's a cultural thing I believe rather than a specific law, access, or restriction, so the solution needs
    to go way way deeper (crossing on realistically impossible).
    All can find ways to get access to a gun one way or another, if not a gun, enough tools to do serious harm, so I truly doubt gun laws has much of a solution in them.
    Economics neither, since you can build a bomb for next to nothing as well.
    All of the mentioned first post solutions will not help the crazy ones I agree, but it will slowly build a new culture (long-term solution) if consistent and persistent enough
    with the right people leading.

Check differences between countries and the crimes being committed there.
    Compare US to EU, and then US to Africa or several Arab countries, and then compare all of those to e.g. Japan.
    Even crime becomes a culture.

Unfortunately, the whole social construct needs to be improved in the same time in all areas for long enough time to have an effect.
    Enough new generations needs to pass until the new set of ways becomes the new normal.
    The usual politician talks and "no more" restrictions won't do anything by itself, especially if a new vote comes in a few years later
    doing something else, making the first few years useless...

I agree parents and teachers is where it starts, including students (friends) and companionship. This is where it all starts and what
    mental fortitude the kid will have.
    But to make that happen, majority of people will need to work towards the same goal same time and have total support and trust in the
    government and their changes/ re-development plans and investments...
    And we need strong people with rational ways, not the damn left who forgives everyone and everyone's opinion matter and everyone
    is entitled...
    Sorry for getting political in the end haha
    XnavyHMCS likes this.

Rot-Iron66 is offline New Member
    The shite happens all over...

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-61697409

XnavyHMCS is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rot-Iron66 View Post
    Sorry bro, you posted is a poor example here.

It is a gross misjudgment to suggest that the conflict in Nigeria, fueled by Islamic terrorism / Boko Haram and petro-dollars, in any way compares to Johnny B'Goode shooting up the local school. Nor is it the same when it comes to comparing the past isolated European atrocities, to what has become commonplace in America today...

Something needs to be done, and will be done; be it sooner or later, the winds of change are (and have been) blowing.

We Americans deride our European brethren for their naked lack of firearms, but their system seems to work rather well.

I came to Europe with a valid CCW (Virginia issue), along with hunting license / hunter safety certification, and I was effectively "grandfathered" into the French hunting association, basically "no questions asked". This saved me an enormous amount of red tape and headaches, to hunt here in Europe. In the vast majority of EU countries a prospective hunter, sport shooter is required to fulfill the following: physical screening, psych evaluation, criminal background check, fingerprinting... And the final "kick in the tits; the arbitrary approval of your local police department. Every time that an EU citizen wants to purchase a firearm (of any type) again local PD approval (or disproval) has the final say. Before picking up your "phallic extension", you are required to have a certified gun vault for storage. In Poland, where I am currently installed, the local PD required me to provide them with a diagram of my residence, with the position of the vault marked on the diagram. The police have the right to visit your residence, with a minimum of 24 hrs notice (if my memory serves me correctly) to check the position and security of your firearms. Personally, they have never come to visit me, but I do know a few guys that have been controlled... This is all a bit much to bear, from the American perspective, but it works just fine for the Europeans. Furthermore, it is a misconception that an EU citizen cannot have an AR-15 or a civilian Kalashnikov; I know a young Polish army officer, my ex-student and friend, who is the proud owner of both of these rifles; along with a Glock 21 / .45 APC. So, it is total bullshit that an EU citizen cannot have a firearm / pistol... Again, the system works great for the EU. One must remember that The Continent matured through the feudal system, where any and all weapons were the privy of the noble class; they have no history, no culture of firearms, and they feel much better off for that...

I am not advocating the implication of identical regulations, but I firmly believe that our grandchildren will not enjoy the same unfettered access to weapons, as the American public currently has...

An interesting aside:
    Here in Poland, about a month ago, for the first time in the years that I have lived here, there was a shooting / shoot-out with the police. Apparently, there was a random control set up on the road (a quite common EU affaire designed to check your papers, etc...), and the perpetrator ran through the check point. During the ensuing chase, the perp drove off the road and got his vehicle stuck. The guy jumped out and started shooting at the two officers... His weapon of choice (two weapons) were black powder pistols... Like fucking Clint Eastwood or some shit... He hit one, or both of the LEOs, and they in turn sent his dumb ass to "the promised land"... And, funny thing is; black powder firearms, of all types, do not require a permit to purchase / possess... You are required to register at the local PD and obtain a permit, of sorts, to purchase the propellant... So, a modern day pistol is far from necessary if one is set on creating mayhem...
    Test Monsterone likes this.

Well when I see the police officers in the UK running from a guy with a club or knife I am glad we have guns.Yes some things must change and I think it's coming.

redz is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Sadly psychopaths will find a way to do harm if they put their mind to it. Here in Toronto a few years ago a guy rented a van and drove down Yonge street one of the busiest places and just mowed down women. He would have likely caused less carnage with a gun than he did with a van. My point is when someone is set in doing damage they will find a way. Illegal guns aren’t hard to get either even here in Canada. The solution is far more complicated than banning guns.

Quote Originally Posted by redz View Post
    Sadly psychopaths will find a way to do harm if they put their mind to it. Here in Toronto a few years ago a guy rented a van and drove down Yonge street one of the busiest places and just mowed down women. He would have likely caused less carnage with a gun than he did with a van. My point is when someone is set in doing damage they will find a way. Illegal guns aren’t hard to get either even here in Canada. The solution is far more complicated than banning guns.
    Exactly…yet no one is calling for a ban on vans.

Granted, there are definitely changes that need to be made to the current gun laws and there is always room for improvement. However, as a society both here in the US and on the global stage we need to dig deeper. I think it’s ironic that the media talks about us all being more “connected” then ever, but really we’re more disassociated then ever. Mental health is a problem, maybe if we gave it as much attention as we did Covid, we could make some strides…
    redz, XnavyHMCS and songdog like this.

Quote Originally Posted by redz View Post
    Truth bomb...!!!

Exactly…yet no one is calling for a ban on vans.

Granted, there are definitely changes that need to be made to the current gun laws and there is always room for improvement. However, as a society both here in the US and on the global stage we need to dig deeper. I think it’s ironic that the media talks about us all being more “connected” then ever, but really we’re more disassociated then ever. Mental health is a problem, maybe if we gave it as much attention as we did Covid, we could make some strides…
    100% here...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by songdog View Post
    Well when I see the police officers in the UK running from a guy with a club or knife I am glad we have guns.Yes some things must change and I think it's coming.
    Well your statement truly speaks of your vast knowledge of the world (UK in particular) and perhaps your extensive travel experience...

Every sector / neighborhood in the UK has a firearms patrol on duty 24/7, to augment and support their unarmed bobbies...

I distinctly recall when the British bandsman was beheaded, in broad daylight; the responding officers called for back-up (firearms patrol). secured the scene and the two culprits; they didn't run away...

GB doesn't need armed LEOs; nobody (next to nobody) has a gun... Hence, the unarmed officers.

Honkey_Kong is offline Superbowl XLIX Champs!
    Quote Originally Posted by XnavyHMCS View Post
    Well your statement truly speaks of your vast knowledge of the world (UK in particular) and perhaps your extensive travel experience...

Every sector / neighborhood in the UK has a firearms patrol on duty 24/7, to augment and support their unarmed bobbies...

I distinctly recall when the British bandsman was beheaded, in broad daylight; the responding officers called for back-up (firearms patrol). secured the scene and the two culprits; they didn't run away...

GB doesn't need armed LEOs; nobody (next to nobody) has a gun... Hence, the unarmed officers.
    I wouldn't say they're unarmed. London's a great place to get knifed.
    XnavyHMCS likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by XnavyHMCS View Post

Well I guess wat I saw on the news was a lie then.This was back when the Muslims were mad at something and a Muslim was coming at a LEO with a knife.The LEO was running backward for all the world to see.Well it maybe nice to have armed LEOs at the ready if you need them at that moments notice wat you going to do call time out? until they get there? Sorry guy I like the way we have it here.
    XnavyHMCS likes this.

An excerpt from an article today on the AP…

The president also suggested that the White House has not been able to communicate its message in a way that pierces through the daily noise, while also pointing to changes in the media landscape in which reporters “have to get the clicks on the nightly news.”

“Everything gets sensationalized in ways … but I am convinced we can get through this. We have to get through it.”

(Pretty sure that’s the drum I’ve been banging and the issues surrounding freedom of the press. Welcome to 2022, Joe).

Oh the fucking irony…blame the media’s attention on the economy and rampant inflation. Embrace it when it suits your narrative (gun control). Amazing to me how much effort is being put into firearm legislation when everyone knows it will go NOWHERE. Not saying that improvements don’t need to be made (they most certainly do) but how about some focus on the economic crisis we’re on the precipice of?

Hate to say this but the shootings have allowed this administration to shift its focus to other areas (where they know it’s a stalemate) and get out of the limelight that we’re truly mired in. It’ll be the lack of economic prosperity that gives issues to the dems in November not fucking gun control (I’m no Trumper, so please don’t lump me into that. The facts are just the facts). When it comes down to it (mark my words) the American public will be more concerned about 9$ gallons of gas and milk then they will be on 30 round magazines.
    Last edited by SampsonandDelilah; 06-09-2022 at 11:46 AM.

Ol_Wolf is offline Junior Member
    “Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.”

When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fears the people there is liberty. John Basil Barnhill.

The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in the insidious encroachment by men of zeal, well meaning but without understanding. Justice Louis Brandeis.

Liberty means responsibility. That is why most men dread it. George Bernard Shaw
    XnavyHMCS likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by songdog View Post
    Well I guess wat I saw on the news was a lie then.This was back when the Muslims were mad at something and a Muslim was coming at a LEO with a knife.The LEO was running backward for all the world to see.Well it maybe nice to have armed LEOs at the ready if you need them at that moments notice wat you going to do call time out? until they get there? Sorry guy I like the way we have it here.
    Hey Marine (if I remember your history correctly, if not, pardon moi si tu plait),

I fully agree with you on the complete folly of the unarmed police force... Doesn't make any sense at all, in the modern world. On the day to day basis, it seems to jive just fine in the UK though.

An excerpt from an article today on the AP…

The president also suggested that the White House has not been able to communicate its message in a way that pierces through the daily noise, while also pointing to changes in the media landscape in which reporters “have to get the clicks on the nightly news.”

“Everything gets sensationalized in ways … but I am convinced we can get through this. We have to get through it.”

(Pretty sure that’s the drum I’ve been banging and the issues surrounding freedom of the press. Welcome to 2022, Joe).

Oh the fucking irony…blame the media’s attention on the economy and rampant inflation. Embrace it when it suits your narrative (gun control). Amazing to me how much effort is being put into firearm legislation when everyone knows it will go NOWHERE. Not saying that improvements don’t need to be made (they most certainly do) but how about some focus on the economic crisis we’re on the precipice of?

Hate to say this but the shootings have allowed this administration to shift its focus to other areas (where they know it’s a stalemate) and get out of the limelight that we’re truly mired in. It’ll be the lack of economic prosperity that gives issues to the dems in November not fucking gun control (I’m no Trumper, so please don’t lump me into that. The facts are just the facts). When it comes down to it (mark my words) the American public will be more concerned about 9$ gallons of gas and milk then they will be on 30 round magazines.
    Gospel post here, gents.

Muddy the waters and continue to do what they want to do, at the expense of the taxpayers...

Test Monsterone is offline Anabolic Member
    July 4th shooting in suburb outside of Chicago. At least 5 dead, and 20 injured.

Witness:

“I thought, maybe it’s a backfire. Then there's another pop and I said, ‘Oh somebody must be shooting off firecrackers. And then all of a sudden, there were multiple pops.

“And I said, that is nothing other than a rapid-fire, long gun like an AR-15 or something. And indeed it was. And then there was a mass stampede,” he said.

“I started walking up, figuring, oh, maybe I could help or something, which I couldn't, but I saw blood all over on the sidewalk and street. I saw bloodied bodies, a couple of them at least, and one child that looked lifeless.

“I think if it can happen in our community, obviously it can happen anywhere in this country. And what is even more sickening is it happened on the celebration of our country... We've seen mass murders at schools and synagogues and churches and nightclubs...It's disgusting.”

Cue “another one bites the dust.” Soon we’ll be zooming in our parades. Virtual parades.

In other news, I’ll be going to the largest music festival in Europe, taking place in Romania, in August. Over 100,000 people from all over Europe coming during the 3 days. Nobody will be getting shot.

July 4th shooting in suburb outside of Chicago. At least 5 dead, and 20 injured.

Witness:

“I thought, maybe it’s a backfire. Then there's another pop and I said, ‘Oh somebody must be shooting off firecrackers. And then all of a sudden, there were multiple pops.

“And I said, that is nothing other than a rapid-fire, long gun like an AR-15 or something. And indeed it was. And then there was a mass stampede,” he said.

“I started walking up, figuring, oh, maybe I could help or something, which I couldn't, but I saw blood all over on the sidewalk and street. I saw bloodied bodies, a couple of them at least, and one child that looked lifeless.

“I think if it can happen in our community, obviously it can happen anywhere in this country. And what is even more sickening is it happened on the celebration of our country... We've seen mass murders at schools and synagogues and churches and nightclubs...It's disgusting.”

Cue “another one bites the dust.” Soon we’ll be zooming in our parades. Virtual parades.

In other news, I’ll be going to the largest music festival in Europe, taking place in Romania, in August. Over 100,000 people from all over Europe coming during the 3 days. Nobody will be getting shot.
    I’m trying to guess why he didn’t choose to mow them over with a car or stab them with knives as it was a parade & it would have been a piece of cake. Oh yeah, little to no chance of escaping. I guess whoever did this wasn’t all that crazy at all if they took the time to reason it out.

I hope you didn’t jinx the music festival.
    Test Monsterone likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by wango View Post
    I’m trying to guess why he didn’t choose to mow them over with a car or stab them with knives as it was a parade & it would have been a piece of cake. Oh yeah, little to no chance of escaping. I guess whoever did this wasn’t all that crazy at all if they took the time to reason it out.

I hope you didn’t jinx the music festival.
    Yeah, was just thinking that as I typed it. Watch it happens when I’m there, then I have to put my foot in my mouth. Well, it at least hasn’t happened yet and it’s been going on for years. Mostly every city or town also has their own parade for 3 days out of the year where they close the roads down in the center and everyone is out partying the days and nights, dancing, live music, food, etc. Never heard of any shootings or mass violence.

In the city I’m from my cousin lived in the center on the top floor of his building, with a big balcony that overlooked the main drag. We’d come home at 4-5 in the morning and smoke a few cigarettes over the edge of the balcony and watch the drunks fight on the street down below. Fun times. Miss those days.
    wango likes this.

I’m
    Yeah, was just thinking that as I typed it. Watch it happens when I’m there, then I have to put my foot in my mouth. Well, it at least hasn’t happened yet and it’s been going on for years. Mostly every city or town also has their own parade for 3 days out of the year where they close the roads down in the center and everyone is out partying the days and nights, dancing, live music, food, etc. Never heard of any shootings or mass violence.

In the city I’m from my cousin lived in the center on the top floor of his building, with a big balcony that overlooked the main drag. We’d come home at 4-5 in the morning and smoke a few cigarettes over the edge of the balcony and watch the drunks fight on the street down below. Fun times. Miss those days.
    There’s just simply too much shit to contemplate here, it’s SO heavy & tragic. So I’ll keep it simple, what’s the lineup on that music festival?

Quote Originally Posted by wango View Post
    I’m

There’s just simply too much shit to contemplate here, it’s SO heavy & tragic. So I’ll keep it simple, what’s the lineup on that music festival?
    No idea. I don’t even like concerts tbh, but my cousin is saying it’s amazing, etc, and my girl likes this kind of stuff. It’s mostly electronic music, I think.

Ol_Wolf is offline Junior Member
    These are all reasons why I conceal carry and train often with my weapon and my wife does the same. Police response to a home invasion is over 5 minutes, how many people can be killed in 5 minutes? The police have been gutted to nothing more than a damage control force in most cities, not a protection force. A person is responsible for their own and their family's safety.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information