• 2 Post By wango
  • 1 Post By SampsonandDelilah
  • 1 Post By SampsonandDelilah
  • 1 Post By XnavyHMCS
  • 1 Post By wango

Thread: Top Gun

Test Monsterone is offline Anabolic Member

Top Gun

Anyone watch the new one? I just did. I’m too cynical to appreciate movies these days lol. Of course they had to appease the PC culture demographics. I’m surprised they didn’t make snoop dog the wingman.

The action scenes were pretty awesome, I’m not gonna lie. Still, it doesn’t compare to the original, in my mind. If the whole movie was like the first half, I probably would have left, but it got better.

Coincidentally I realized why I don’t go to movie theaters anymore. This guy sitting next to us slurped his drink every 30 seconds, then proceeded to take the lid off his cup and chew every piece of ice, one by one. Then he had to go take a piss, go figure. I was about to offer him my drink, too.

I’ll give it a 7/10
    Iranon likes this.

wango is offline Anabolic Member
    The wife & I share your feelings regarding theaters. That said, we told each other that we might make an exception for the new Jurassic Park.

With my old man bladder, I don’t think I could watch an entire movie though. Hoping they’ll put it on pause until I take a leak.

BTW, how much are tickets these days?
    Test Monsterone likes this.

Test Monsterone is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wango View Post
    The wife & I share your feelings regarding theaters. That said, we told each other that we might make an exception for the new Jurassic Park.

With my old man bladder, I don’t think I could watch an entire movie though. Hoping they’ll put it on pause until I take a leak.

BTW, how much are tickets these days?
    We also want to see the new Jurassic Park in the theaters. The tickets were cheaper than I remembered. $21.50 for both of them in the theatre with the plush reclining seats and tray tables. I remember prices were closer to $20 for a single ticket years before.
    wango likes this.

s1nc1ty is offline Member
    Yeah usually when they make a sequel to an old legendary movie like this, especially like 20 years later, its just cashing in on the franchise and the original films success. I wouldnt expect anyhting extraordinary. Average story, great actors and production is what i would expect from it

almostgone is offline AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    Some movies just shouldn't be remade. I will say Rob Zombie did a decent job with Halloween (Mrs. AG is a horror flick fanatic).
    Cylon357 likes this.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

Quote Originally Posted by Test Monsterone View Post
    We also want to see the new Jurassic Park in the theaters. The tickets were cheaper than I remembered. $21.50 for both of them in the theatre with the plush reclining seats and tray tables. I remember prices were closer to $20 for a single ticket years before.
    Damn those prices are surprising. I’d have thought closer to $20 as well.

Cylon357 is online now Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by almostgone View Post
    Some movies just shouldn't be remade. I will say Rob Zombie did a decent job with Halloween (Mrs. AG is a horror flick fanatic).
    The theatrical cut of his first one was a very good effort. The director's cut, not as much, IMO, and the second one of his.... well, I think he said something like "I'm going to mess this up so bad they can't sequel it". But of course, they just sort of ignored those films and continue to release ones with JLC.

Honkey_Kong is offline Superbowl XLIX Champs!
    The idea of a man in his 60's flying jets for any branch of the military just doesn't seem believable. The last 2 Rambo movies were more believable than this. Action scenes might be good, but I can't stand political correctness and my "suspension of disbelief" only goes so far.

Frank777 is offline Junior Member
    I also noticed that I usually like the latest movies when I watch them at the cinema. This atmosphere, big screen, and you won't make a pause As for Top Gun, I watched it at home (fortunately, found a way to reset my kodi here), and I guess it was a mistake. It is not bad at all, but I think I could enjoy it more at the theatre. I'd say that this is a perfect popcorn movie.
    Last edited by Frank777; 07-06-2022 at 11:26 AM.
    SampsonandDelilah likes this.

XnavyHMCS is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Honkey_Kong View Post
    The idea of a man in his 60's flying jets for any branch of the military just doesn't seem believable. The last 2 Rambo movies were more believable than this. Action scenes might be good, but I can't stand political correctness and my "suspension of disbelief" only goes so far.
    PC culture rears its ugly head again...

I remember when the movie Dunkirk (about the British evacuation from the Continent, circa WW II) was made, and the "usual suspects" were all up-in-arms about the shocking, blatant racism exhibited by the producers of the historical docudrama; there were no black cast members on the beach at Dunkirk.

I wonder how much their anger was placated when they were explained that the film was holding to the historical record; there were no black British soldiers on the beach during that time period...

Gotta love the times we are living in, gents.

tarmyg is online now Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by XnavyHMCS View Post
    What’s PC about the latest Top Gun? Not getting it so asking a genuine question.

Quote Originally Posted by Honkey_Kong View Post
    Some things just tend to defy belief. Actually, her “disbelief is also suspended”. Sorry if this was too PC.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Top Gun-a4189583-1b04-4ce8-be1a-eacfeefd9846.jpeg  
    Cylon357 and XnavyHMCS like this.

SampsonandDelilah is offline Knowledgeable Member

I remember when the movie Dunkirk (about the British evacuation from the Continent, circa WW II) was made, and the "usual suspects" were all up-in-arms about the shocking, blatant racism exhibited by the producers of the historical docudrama; there were no black cast members on the beach at Dunkirk.

I wonder how much their anger was placated when they were explained that the film was holding to the historical record; there were no black British soldiers on the beach during that time period...

Gotta love the times we are living in, gents.
    Dunkirk was amazing…amazing times indeed

Hope you’re doing great brother!
    XnavyHMCS likes this.

SampsonandDelilah is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tarmyg View Post
    What’s PC about the latest Top Gun? Not getting it so asking a genuine question.

No clue, haven’t seen it. I’m sure someone who believes that we can’t have “peace through superior air power” could find something to get their panties in a wad regarding Top Gun.

Side note…I think Tom Cruise is a pretty damn good actor and I have always enjoyed his movies and do really appreciate the efforts he puts in doing his own stunt work (the guy is kind of a bad ass, HALO jumps, flies jets and helicopters, yada yada) but then I remind myself of that looney midget jumping up and down on Oprah’s sofa, the Jack Reacher movie and the whole Christian Science thing and I’m quickly taken back to planet earth and reminded that the guy is a quack. I have to really try and forget all of that before watching his films

Hope you’re doing great too Tarmy! Need to catch up brother!
    Test Monsterone likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tarmyg View Post
    I don't know either; TM opened the thread with the following quote:

"Anyone watch the new one? I just did. I’m too cynical to appreciate movies these days lol. Of course they had to appease the PC culture demographics. I’m surprised they didn’t make snoop dog the wingman."

I have not seen the movie, nor do I plan to; the original will always remain a classic, the yardstick, in my opinion...

Quote Originally Posted by SampsonandDelilah View Post
    Dunkirk was amazing…amazing times indeed

Hope you’re doing great brother!
    Hey bro.

Yeah, the whole operation outside the beach-head, on the German side, defies logic. Was it an operational pause, necessitated by the fact that the German armies had been going balls to the wall for just over two weeks, or did AH really believe that he would give the stalwart Brits (and any French forces ensnared in the kessel) a breathing space; basically to let them off the hook, so they might be more inclined to come to terms and recognize Nazi hegemony on the Continent... And the Brits cobbling together a Noah's Ark flotilla to extract the remnants of their beaten, battered (but still of the mind to return and give the Boche his comeuppance) expeditionary force; bereft of any and all heavy equipment and scarce of small arms... In the end, post war at Nuremburg, it was fashionable to blame the absent leadership (AH) for any and all short-comings... Who knows what the real truth was?

It is not for no reason that we refer to them as "the greatest generation".
    SampsonandDelilah likes this.

tarmyg is online now Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    I don't know either; TM opened the thread with the following quote:

"Anyone watch the new one? I just did. I’m too cynical to appreciate movies these days lol. Of course they had to appease the PC culture demographics. I’m surprised they didn’t make snoop dog the wingman."

I have not seen the movie, nor do I plan to; the original will always remain a classic, the yardstick, in my opinion...
    Got it. Should read everything before asking stupid questions in the future

Loved the movie myself if for nothing else that there is zero cgi and all the scenes are of people actually flying insane moves.

Hey bro.

Yeah, the whole operation outside the beach-head, on the German side, defies logic. Was it an operational pause, necessitated by the fact that the German armies had been going balls to the wall for just over two weeks, or did AH really believe that he would give the stalwart Brits (and any French forces ensnared in the kessel) a breathing space; basically to let them off the hook, so they might be more inclined to come to terms and recognize Nazi hegemony on the Continent... And the Brits cobbling together a Noah's Ark flotilla to extract the remnants of their beaten, battered (but still of the mind to return and give the Boche his comeuppance) expeditionary force; bereft of any and all heavy equipment and scarce of small arms... In the end, post war at Nuremburg, it was fashionable to blame the absent leadership (AH) for any and all short-comings... Who knows what the real truth was?

It is not for no reason that we refer to them as "the greatest generation".
    Got to hand it to AH and the Nazis, in the sheer volume of truly great cinema that was created because of their “shenanigans” (not trying to be sarcastic, my wife, who is Jewish, lost a great deal of family in the Holocaust). Personally, stopped watching WW2 movies after “Saving Private Ryan” & “Schindler’s List” (two masterpieces imo). And my goodness, Leni Riefenstahl’s work was insane & incredibly innovative.

This book (haven’t seen the documentary yet) has a very interesting take on Dunkirk: Rommel & the Panzer divisions were amped up on meth like drugs (Pervitin) that helped fuel the brutal relentlessness of the Blitzkrieg. Apparently Rommel started defying orders due to his attitude & success; plus was moving so fast, was moving ahead of the orders anyways. As they closed in on Dunkirk & decimating the alies, Hitler’s own ego (and drug induced paranoia) did not want them to have so much credit and agreed to the still mysterious/debated “halt orders”. That and Goring wanted the Luftwaffe to finish the alies off and be credited with the final glory.

Added: sat down in front of the tv to eat lunch & Indiana Jones & The Last Crusade just started. Damn those Nazis were perfect for entertaining movies, lol.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Top Gun-fcb4307e-cbd6-4f6c-a897-a970c95fe419.jpeg  
    Last edited by wango; 07-02-2022 at 02:17 PM.
    XnavyHMCS likes this.

Thread Information