• 1 Post By Test Monsterone
  • 1 Post By SampsonandDelilah
  • 2 Post By Test Monsterone
  • 2 Post By < <Samson> >
  • 1 Post By 1beardedalpha

Thread: MSG - Chinese restaurant syndrome

Test Monsterone is offline Anabolic Member

MSG - Chinese restaurant syndrome

Does msg f anyone up the way it does me? I overdid it on the Chinese Saturday and had palpitations all day Sunday. It’s happened before.

I looked into it and apparently this thing called “Chinese restaurant syndrome” started in the 50s or 60s when Chinese restaurants came about here. They were claiming Chinese food caused headaches, numbness in the hands, etc. Then people chalked it up to racism and discounted the idea. I don’t know, I kinda believe it - at least some of the symptoms.

almostgone is online now AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    I always ask for no MSG. I worked in a Chinese restaurant for one of my part time jobs in high school and they would put a spoonful of that stuff on just about everything they cooked.

After the wife and I were together for a while, she quit eating the fast food junk and backslid one time and found out how much it affected the human body.

It kills me, TM. Massive headaches, shaky feeling, screws up my guts.... just no bueno all around. Now whenever we eat out we both order no salt, no seasoning.

Most meat tenderizers are loaded with it as well as a LOT of seasonings. Bacon, hot dogs....it's omnipresent, not just in Chinese food.
    Last edited by almostgone; 07-04-2022 at 07:45 AM.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

SampsonandDelilah is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I avoid MSG as well, it definitely goofs me up too.
    I avoid nitrates and carrageenan too, that’s why watching labels is so important. The FDA is fucked up too because some nitrates can be listed as “all natural”, assuming it has some intrinsic health value. Celery salt is a “natural nitrate” but is just as bad for your body as a synthetic one, it’s royal horse shit what they get away with. Carrageenan is made from sea weed and is awful for your gut but again sold as “all natural”. It’s a joke….

Sorry for the rant

Man, I’m glad I’m not the only one. I literally felt like I had a hangover on Sunday. Same as you, AG, a mild headache and felt shaky. The msg is very addicting, too. Watched some video where a guy tries food prepared with msg and without, and he consistently picked the food with it. It will have to be a once in a while, and with moderation thing from now on. That feeling is the worst. I may have also made it worse cause I donated on Friday.

Carrageenan - I’ve never heard of it, but I’ll look into it. Good to know what we’re ingesting. Thanks guys.
    SampsonandDelilah likes this.

SampsonandDelilah is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Test Monsterone View Post
    Man, I’m glad I’m not the only one. I literally felt like I had a hangover on Sunday. Same as you, AG, a mild headache and felt shaky. The msg is very addicting, too. Watched some video where a guy tries food prepared with msg and without, and he consistently picked the food with it. It will have to be a once in a while, and with moderation thing from now on. That feeling is the worst. I may have also made it worse cause I donated on Friday.

Carrageenan - I’ve never heard of it, but I’ll look into it. Good to know what we’re ingesting. Thanks guys.
    You’ll find it in muscle milk and certain yogurt drinks, it’s awful on my stomach.
    almostgone likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SampsonandDelilah View Post
    You’ll find it in muscle milk and certain yogurt drinks, it’s awful on my stomach.
    Muscle milk, that explains a lot. It had a chemical aftertaste and messed with my gut as well.

< <Samson> > is offline Neurologically Intact
    Blog Entries
    I floor my guts like I do my diesels - just had a all you can eat Chinese food spot in LA. Jesus! I thought my intestines were gonna fall out + I was af - still woke up fine < thank you Jesus! Lol

That bloat is unreal - then when I’m lucky it calms down, when not so lucky - it’ll stick around for a week+

Funny sorta, but totally true

1beardedalpha is offline Junior Member
    It bloated me and and I get bad head aches. I normally chug a 5hr then a few bottles of water and I'm good. I don't do Chinese very much maybe 3x a year

Sent from my SM-A526U1 using Tapatalk
    Test Monsterone likes this.

< <Samson> > is offline Neurologically Intact
    Blog Entries
    Did another all you can eat Chinese food spot we haven’t ate at last nite as soon as we got back from LA

This dang yello fever got me that’s for sure

But, like last nite - I try to stay away from msg likely containing foods even when I go - I fill up on raw fish < I strongly doubt it’s any better tho

I can’t tell if it’s the sodium or msg that gets my guts fucked up when I do fill up on true “Chinese food” i.e. lo main, orange chicken, etc.

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I dont think MSG bothers me much but Im starting to think it could be the culprit why my wife had frequent headaches and doesnt feel good a lot of the time. I guess its time for me to learn more about MSG and how to avoid it.

Thread Information