Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: Do you believe that depression is a disease?

JaneDoe is offline Banned
    Blog Entries

Do you believe that depression is a disease?

A few days ago it was World Suicide Prevention Day Yellow September. Very little or almost no campaign is made before the date... I would like to know if you consider depression a disease or if only emotionally weak people get caught up in this speech.

wango is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by davimeireles View Post
    A few days ago it was World Suicide Prevention Day Yellow September. Very little or almost no campaign is made before the date... I would like to know if you consider depression a disease or if only emotionally weak people get caught up in this speech.
    Yes. However there’s a difference between clinical depression and just being bummed/lack of motivation/having a down day or days.

Serious depression & then to the degree of suicidal thoughts is f’n nasty & not a sign of weakness.
    wellshii and songdog like this.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wango View Post
    Yes. However there’s a difference between clinical depression and just being bummed/lack of motivation/having a down day or days.

Serious depression & then to the degree of suicidal thoughts is f’n nasty & not a sign of weakness.
    Perhaps suicidal desire increases in these people because it does not occupy their minds.
    Bodybuilding is a form of distraction!!
    Last edited by JaneDoe; 09-14-2022 at 02:27 PM.

Iranon is offline Associate Member
    No I do not. At least for the vast majority of people.

Blog Entries
    I like this music !

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Iranon View Post
    No I do not. At least for the vast majority of people.
    The same here , we all have problems it is the way we face it that will forge us and differentiate us from other people
    Many parents don't prepare their children for the world, they let them do what they want, kids raised on grandma's lap. These spoiled children are the most depressive in the future. imo

Blog Entries

Well most family members of these people disbelieve that these people are actually going to commit suicide until shit actually happens! The psychological and emotional imbalance is complicated

Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Jelly Roll rocks this song, he could describe a lot of people in this song lyric

wellshii is offline Member
    Yes its a disease.

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I dont think its a "Disease" or what use to be classified as a disease but that classification has seemed to change the last 20 or so years. Now a girl is a boy and a boy is a girl or whatever...

I think depression can be genetic or something some people are more prone to be affected by. That being said I guess that most diseases such as cancer, leukemia, lupus, and such are also genetic or part of our DNA structure? I guess it still boils down to how you classify a disease.

I sort of have a theory (no proof of studies I know of to back it up) that most people who are easily depressed are also more likely to have an addictive personality. Easily addicted to substances.

I consider myself lucky I dont have an addictive personality. Ive tried a wide variety of substances over my almost 60 years and there has not been anything I was not able to walk away from more or less easily. There has been a couple of things I felt it tugging at me but that was all the more reason to stop. Smoking cigarettes was one. I drink usually weekly, sometimes a couple times a week and sometimes weeks without just because I dont or forget, not because Im trying not to and I have not been drunk in probably over 30 years. Slight buzz at best.

I dont get depressed. Yes I get upset and have felt down many times but never hopelessly depressed although by most people accounts I should be. lol 2 wives deceased. 20+ surgeries, lost most everything financially more than once and most of the time it seems life is 3 steps forward and 2 steps back. Still moving in the right direction even if its not every day.

Anyone who feels they have an addictive personality care to chime in about if they feel depression goes hand in hand?

According to Wikipedia.
    In humans, disease is often used more broadly to refer to any condition that causes pain, dysfunction, distress, social problems, or death to the person affected, or similar problems for those in contact with the person. In this broader sense, it sometimes includes injuries, disabilities, disorders, syndromes, infections, isolated symptoms, deviant behaviors, and atypical variations of structure and function, while in other contexts and for other purposes these may be considered distinguishable categories. Diseases can affect people not only physically, but also mentally, as contracting and living with a disease can alter the affected person's perspective on life.

Honkey_Kong is online now Superbowl XLIX Champs!
    Depression is your body telling you something isn't right. Whether it be a chemical imbalance (which I think is BS) or something in your life (family, work etc). Something is wrong and depression is the symptom of it. Calling it a disease is just a mechanism people have invented in order to push it off and justify it.

"Does your life sucks? Here take this pill everyday and you won't give a shit anymore."

That's what the world we live in says. They don't tell you to perhaps change your occupation, get new people to associate with, find a higher purpose. The world just wants you to submit.

If you're depressed, you'll continue to feel that until the conditions which cause it are alleviated.
    lovbyts, Booz and sv.elia like this.

Quote Originally Posted by amyst View Post
    it is definitely an illness in my opinion. Some people just use it way too often to describe their bad mood etc.
    I think those two things shouldn't be mixed up
    It's not an illness. It's a state of mind. Whether it being due to grief of losing somebody or something built up like the position you are in life, that feeling is your body telling you to change something in it. Maybe that means making peace with the person you lost. Or maybe it means finding a new job. The point is neither of those is an illness.
    lovbyts likes this.

Test Monsterone is offline Anabolic Member
    It depends on what you can define as a disease. There's situational depression such as for a breakup or losing someone. Then there's the kind that doesn't seem to have a cause and just is. I'd say the second could possibly be defined as an illness.

s1nc1ty is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Test Monsterone View Post
    It depends on what you can define as a disease. There's situational depression such as for a breakup or losing someone. Then there's the kind that doesn't seem to have a cause and just is. I'd say the second could possibly be defined as an illness.

I hear real depression is desease of the brain where brain chemistry is fucked up and you cant produce happiness hormones or whatever they call it. Basically whatever you do you wont be happy because your brain is fucked up. Situational depression is when something bad happens and you sad because of it but it will pass with time
    Last edited by s1nc1ty; 11-25-2022 at 01:48 PM.
    XnavyHMCS likes this.

Cuz
    Cuz is offline VET
    Quote Originally Posted by akers View Post
    Yes, it can be really serious
    Funny how this thread continues to get bumped by surprisingly new members
    XnavyHMCS likes this.

spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    i suppose we should ban the ip address..

songdog is offline ARs TOP DOG ~ MONITOR ~
    I was in my truck one day listening to the radio about a Basketball player who was suffering from depression.The guy says wat does he have to be depressed about look at all the money he has.I swear people can be so stupid!People think they got the answer to everything.Well you don't not even close.I have had a few people in my family kill themselves because of depression.Depression can knock you down make you loose interest in everything you once liked.Depression just makes you feel like shit! I know I have been being treated for it for around 10yrs
    so is it a illness I don't know wat you want to call it.But it kills people and just a pill won't fix it.
    Last edited by songdog; 11-27-2022 at 12:39 PM.

Cuz
    Cuz is offline VET
    Depression is definitely a disease , don't understand why so many people don't want to admit it.
    Making several accounts and having multiple personalities is also a disease

XnavyHMCS is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuz View Post
    Making several accounts and having multiple personalities is also a disease
    Hey Cuz,

How can you guys tell that someone has a fake account? Is it just by recognizing the same language patterns, etc? I understand it when Admin would perhaps know, but just users / members...???

I guess that my computer skills are just a bit above the zero level.

Frank777 is offline Junior Member
    Depression is definitely a disease , don't understand why so many people don't want to admit it.
    Honestly speaking, I was one of those people who didn't understand why people can't overcome depression without meds. But ironically, I had to go through this together with my wife who started suffering about two years ago. Spending time with her, taking care of her, monitoring her behavior, etc. - all this turned out to be not a joke anymore and I changed my mind. Of course, it is great when people can avoid taking meds and beat depression through natural ways of treatment because all those antidepressants have so many side effects (I was frightened by some of them when reading the info on the Canadian Pharmacy site) and greatly impact daily life.
    Last edited by Frank777; 03-21-2023 at 05:28 AM.

Cuz
    Cuz is offline VET
    Quote Originally Posted by XnavyHMCS View Post
    Hey Cuz,

How can you guys tell that someone has a fake account? Is it just by recognizing the same language patterns, etc? I understand it when Admin would perhaps know, but just users / members...???

I guess that my computer skills are just a bit above the zero level.
    When your username turns color you get superpowers
    Cylon357 likes this.

When I got upset or depressed my dad would smack me and tell me that now I really had something to be bummed about. It put a smile on my face every time!
    XnavyHMCS and Test Monsterone like this.

Donndt is offline New Member
    It's good that more and more people understand this. When I was prescribed antidepressants, my family thought I was a drug addict...

When I got upset or depressed my dad would smack me and tell me that now I really had something to be bummed about. It put a smile on my face every time!
    I reckon he did it, "with your best interest at heart".
    wango likes this.

There’s truth to that. It’s hard being depressed when you have real life pains. My grandpa was up at 4 am to go work on the field, and back by 7 pm. He ate and went to bed, then repeated. Hard to have anxiety or be depressed when you’re breaking your back all day. Depression is a symptom of idle time for many, if not most.

There’s truth to that. It’s hard being depressed when you have real life pains. My grandpa was up at 4 am to go work on the field, and back by 7 pm. He ate and went to bed, then repeated. Hard to have anxiety or be depressed when you’re breaking your back all day. Depression is a symptom of idle time for many, if not most.
    Maybe busting his back in the field all day everyday gave him purpose, meaning and made him feel like his life was fulfilled? Depression is your body telling you something is wrong. If you're getting fulfillment, purpose and meaning in your life, why would you feel depressed? Nothing would be wrong in your life.

I think a lack of fulfillment and purpose is a driving factor in people becoming depressed. We try to mask it with drugs, but really the dead-end jobs we find ourselves in, the nagging ungrateful wives that we "settled" for, the high amounts of debt that force us to be stuck in our dead-end jobs. Not to mention being a slave to a drug and alcohol habit. These are all contributing factors that can make anyone feel depressed over time.

A life change from that to a simple hard life might be exactly what the doctor ordered. And it sounds like for your grandpa, his simple hard-working life there made him happy and fulfilled.
    XnavyHMCS and Test Monsterone like this.

I put a lot of belief in what you said.

Quote Originally Posted by Honkey_Kong View Post
    Maybe busting his back in the field all day everyday gave him purpose, meaning and made him feel like his life was fulfilled? Depression is your body telling you something is wrong. If you're getting fulfillment, purpose and meaning in your life, why would you feel depressed? Nothing would be wrong in your life.

I think a lack of fulfillment and purpose is a driving factor in people becoming depressed. We try to mask it with drugs, but really the dead-end jobs we find ourselves in, the nagging ungrateful wives that we "settled" for, the high amounts of debt that force us to be stuck in our dead-end jobs. Not to mention being a slave to a drug and alcohol habit. These are all contributing factors that can make anyone feel depressed over time.

A life change from that to a simple hard life might be exactly what the doctor ordered. And it sounds like for your grandpa, his simple hard-working life there made him happy and fulfilled.
    Excellent take on it, brother.

Idle hands are the devil’s workshop. Thus, it pays to choke the chicken on a regular basis. Away, Satan!
    Last edited by wango; 03-07-2023 at 02:57 PM.
    XnavyHMCS and Cylon357 like this.

[QUOTE=wango; it pays to choke the chicken on a regular basis.[/QUOTE]

It is my elixir of amnesia...
    wango and Cylon357 like this.

Noah526 is offline New Member
    I think everyone has been depressed at least once, there's no way to avoid it. There are different states of depression, some really need to be treated.
    XnavyHMCS likes this.

Question on meds:

Does anyone know anything about the the antidepressant medication: venlafaxinum

Specifically:

What effects can a user expect (have any of you taken this specific drug)?
    How quickly and what changes in mental state, can one expect from this drug?
    Does it have any impact on sleep / sleeping patterns?
    Does it have a negative effect on the users sex drive?
    And any other information which you can provide me.

Thank you.

Cuz
    Cuz is offline VET
    Quote Originally Posted by XnavyHMCS View Post
    Question on meds:

Does anyone know anything about the the antidepressant medication: venlafaxinum

Specifically:

What effects can a user expect (have any of you taken this specific drug)?
    How quickly and what changes in mental state, can one expect from this drug?
    Does it have any impact on sleep / sleeping patterns?
    Does it have a negative effect on the users sex drive?
    And any other information which you can provide me.

Thank you.
    My wife is on them and it has really ruined our marriage. I fuckin hate the drugs. I would personally rather end my life as to take them. All they do is mask the problem anyway. Basically just like a zombie hardly any communication horrible sex drive its just fuckin terrible

Mostly all have the same side effects from what I understand
    XnavyHMCS likes this.

redz is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Depression is mostly situational so in those cases it is not a disease. They say money can’t buy happiness but this is one of the great lies. Money by itself can cure the majority of depression.

Full on clinical depression is real however the majority of diagnosed cases are miss-diagnosed. When some one is truly suicidal people need to take it seriously. It is not something to gamble on.

For most people at their lowest a lottery win would change everything. For this reason it cannot be called disease in most cases.
    Last edited by redz; 03-19-2023 at 11:25 AM.
    Cylon357, RigPig and XnavyHMCS like this.

Cylon357 is online now Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by redz View Post
    Depression is mostly situational so in those cases it is not a disease. They say money can’t buy happiness but this is one of the great lies. Money by itself can cure the majority of depression.

Full on clinical depression is real however the majority of diagnosed cases are miss-diagnosed. When some one is truly suicidal people need to take it seriously. It is not something to gamble on.

For most people at their lowest a lottery win would change everything. For this reason it cannot be called disease in most cases.
    Best definition so far, IMO. Well said, Redz.

I think about people like Robin Williams... everything to live for, then nah, I'm done. That might not be a disease, but it is SOMETHING. Examples like that probably are the exception, though. Most diagnosed depression is likely just "doc, I feel bad because I'm lazy or emo or something 'not my fault' give me some drugs!"
    XnavyHMCS likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cylon357 View Post
    Best definition so far, IMO. Well said, Redz.

I think about people like Robin Williams... everything to live for, then nah, I'm done. That might not be a disease, but it is SOMETHING. Examples like that probably are the exception, though. Most diagnosed depression is likely just "doc, I feel bad because I'm lazy or emo or something 'not my fault' give me some drugs!"
    Robin had a type of dementia that caused hallucinations. He was seeing monsters and such chasing him and was probably paranoid all the time. Knowing that it was all in his head was probably depressing, though. Sad.
    Cylon357 and XnavyHMCS like this.

Money didn’t cure his depression & anxiety. But, it did buy him the drugs to try to help . . . .

$ only buys you temporary happiness if you don’t have the cash to start with. After that, it’s just money.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Do you believe that depression is a disease?-7372d987-e61f-44af-a715-d11a1d1f7740.jpeg  

redz is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I think you miss understand, drug addiction, other mental illnesses are another story. I am referring to depression with no other mental issues.

I am certain Money is the root of many of the so called depressed peoples problems this it is not a disease in those cases.

Have you not heard of financial suicide?

I think you miss understand, drug addiction, other mental illnesses are another story. I am referring to depression with no other mental issues.

I am certain Money is the root of many of the so called depressed peoples problems this it is not a disease in those cases.

Have you not heard of financial suicide?
    I understood you. Many alcoholics & addicts are the result of “depression”. Now weather or not that “depression” is legitimately “clinical” , because of physiological reasons is another topic.

Of course you get “depressed” at a loss like that. It’s partly why the USA is currently in a funk; last year in particular was mega-brutal financially. I’m simply stating that the $ is a temporary mental fix to “depression” caused by poverty. Once you adapt to a newer $ filled life; your previous issues will re-emerge. You’ll just be more comfortable due to your material possessions.

The reason for the quotation marks is that I’m in complete agreement with you regarding the diagnosis/misdiagnoses.
    XnavyHMCS likes this.

Cylon357 is online now Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    Robin had a type of dementia that caused hallucinations. He was seeing monsters and such chasing him and was probably paranoid all the time. Knowing that it was all in his head was probably depressing, though. Sad.
    Damn, so he wasn't acting that hard in "The Fisher King"...
    XnavyHMCS likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information