• 1 Post By lovbyts
  • 1 Post By Test Monsterone
  • 1 Post By Test Monsterone
  • 1 Post By lovbyts
  • 2 Post By Test Monsterone

Thread: Back from Vacatoin, Plya Del Carmen for 9 night

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member

Back from Vacatoin, Plya Del Carmen for 9 night

Not my 1st time but it was for the wife.

I generally enjoy Mexico and had a few good experiences as well as a few not so good.

Wife really didnt enjoy it much but still had some fun. My wife is the owner of a coffee stand. She has been working as a Barista for about 2 years and we bought a stand about 6 months ago for her to run and she is doing a great job but also working 3x as much as she was before and making a lot less money.

She was stressed out a lot because the 1st day the girl who was supposed to open at 4:30 am didn't show up and we didn't find out until around 8:30 am and luckily found someone to go and open the stand. Same basic think happened a few days later. I'm sure a lot of you know how difficult it is finding decent reliable workers/employees now days.

She also just wasnt feeling well a few days off and on but probably a lot to do with stress. It was HOT which is good 90 deg but she isnt a big playing in the ocean person along with not feeling well so we didnt play in the surf. She said I could go without her but thats not much fun. We did spend some time in the pool, or at least I did.

We did get to do one of the basic tours, Tulum, Coba and a Cenote. I liked Coba over chichen itza because up until recently you could still walk up one of the Big pyramids. Not any more. Also its less than 1/2 the distance drive than chichen itza.

Ive done a few Cenotes before but this one was nice. You got to swim back into several caverns with a lot of stalactites, little fishies, turtles and a few bats. Wife isnt much of a swimmer so her held onto my back (life vest) while I followed the tour guide. That was enjoyable.

She was surprised my description of Mexico having a lot of simulates in culture and house/hut styles with the Philippines was pretty accurate.

My biggest disappointment was on how expensive most things have gotten in the last few years. You use to be able to find some well made leather goods at decent prices as well as other collectables. Now most everything was $$$$ and most of the tourist areas were just stupid high prices.
    Example. One place tried selling up a basic stray hat with trim around the edge for $120 us. I had to ask where the prada label was and walked away. Of course as we are leaving they kept coming down on price. We ended up buying a similar hat for under $10 at Walmart. Walmart and Mega are the best places to buy Tequila. No 200% markup like at most of the tourist shopping areas.

The same 10" Obsidian carving I bought a few years ago for $25 the cheapest I found was over $200. Crazy. We found a few small shops where she found some dresses she liked that weren't too over priced and a couple of leather handbags but not really and good deals anymore except for Walmart tequila.

One of the things I read about LONG time ago and still see a lot of post about it is that all the silver they sell is fake. Its funny how hard they try to push/sell all that fancy shiny fake silver though with the glass/plastic stones. Sort of ruins the shopping experience.

It was funny, going through immigration going into Mexico was a lot better organized than coming home to the US. Took up maybe 5 minutes in Mexico and over 1hr in the US at the airport.

Wife said she is feeling OLD and I didn't help by teasing her saying yes, she is not 1/4 of a century old. LOL

Oh and I almost forgot. Every pharmacy I went to handed me a nice plastic laminated list of steroids , HGH as well as a few other things like Ambien. lol
    Again, everything was way over priced.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AreCenotesSafeforSwimming.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	58.9 KB 
ID:	182498

Mooseman33 is online now Knowledgeable Member
    looks really cool. Mexico scares the shit out of me, not taking wife their any time soon.

cave pic is bad ass man.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooseman33 View Post
    looks really cool. Mexico scares the shit out of me, not taking wife their any time soon.

cave pic is bad ass man.
    The cave was even better than the picture because it was pretty much pitch black except for the beam of the guides flashlight. I brought my phone so was able to take some good videos and pictures. The other people in the group were thankful because they didnt bring a camera or anything but I had some good shots of them also and emailed the pictures to them.

We spent a good 30 minutes swimming. they say most of the caverns are connected. I didnt realize they also dive some of them and may have to do that next time.

Mexico has always been iffy but if you stay in the resort areas there isnt much to worry about. I dont go anywhere without pepper gel spray though. Someone told me something I once I think is pretty true. If you aren't looking for trouble you probably wont find any.

Cylon357 is online now Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    Working 3 times as much for less money? Sounds like that coffee stand needs to be involved in a "natural disaster" like maybe a VERY localized tornado or an accidental fire.

That pic from the cave is pretty damn cool!

Did the pharmacies have the same haggle over prices deal as everywhere else? Because if it is legit, might be worth a little back and forth lol

Quote Originally Posted by Cylon357 View Post
    Working 3 times as much for less money? Sounds like that coffee stand needs to be involved in a "natural disaster" like maybe a VERY localized tornado or an accidental fire.

That pic from the cave is pretty damn cool!

Did the pharmacies have the same haggle over prices deal as everywhere else? Because if it is legit, might be worth a little back and forth lol
    No, that's how most small businesses are starting out. Mostly because of start up cost and re investing in product and advertising every month. Its just a lot more work than what I think she realized even though I warned her. She likes being busy and does all the supply runs instead of having them delivered so thats a lot more work.

Honestly Im not sure what the prices were because there wasn't anything I was interested in buying except for HGH and not only do I not trust how they handle the product (keeping cool) as well as quality I dont trust the local gestapo there. Ive read to many stories of they confiscating the product as soon as you leave the pharmacy and of course empty your bank account to not arrest you.

I know the price on Ambien was like $300 for 30 so I wasnt interested. The crazy part was Zopedem (generic ambien) was even more.

songdog is offline ARs TOP DOG ~ MONITOR ~
    Nice trip but I believe the Cartels hit Cabo San Lucas.You couldn't get my old ass down there now.I use to hit TJ back in my Marine days.
    XnavyHMCS, lovbyts and Honkey_Kong like this.

Quote Originally Posted by songdog View Post
    Nice trip but I believe the Cartels hit Cabo San Lucas.You couldn't get my old ass down there now.I use to hit TJ back in my Marine days.
    I hadn't heard about that. We almost went there because its closer but would not have had the pyramid and Cenote experience.
    XnavyHMCS likes this.

Honkey_Kong is offline Superbowl XLIX Champs!
    You have to be careful about those Mexican pharmacies too. Some of them will knowingly sell fake shit to tourists and then tip off the police that you have them so they can extort money from you.
    lovbyts and XnavyHMCS like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Honkey_Kong View Post
    You have to be careful about those Mexican pharmacies too. Some of them will knowingly sell fake shit to tourists and then tip off the police that you have them so they can extort money from you.
    Ha, thats exactly what I was saying. Yup dont trust them.
    XnavyHMCS likes this.

I will stick to my cruises...
    XnavyHMCS and lovbyts like this.

wango is offline Anabolic Member
    Nice pic.

Just read yet another fentanyl/cartel story in the times this morning. I’ve got to hand it to these guys because they sure don’t lack imagination in their attempts to make friends and play nice with others.

Use those they kidnap to experiment their drugs and dosages on them (till they die). Oh, and this is a new one: using a cork screw to gouge out cores of muscle then fill the hole with chili peppers (you can’t even make shit like that up ffs). Only then do they kill them.

I ain’t stepping foot in that God forsaken country. Why the hell anyone would consider buying medication down there to save a buck, is beyond me and frankly if they buy some evil shit, they kinda deserve it for being so f’n stupid and naïve.

If I’m looking for danger, I’d sooner take a walk in our adjoining park here late at night. It’s MS 13 territory going by the tagging and the crime reports. At least they have the decency to stay out of our nice little neighborhood.

Good luck with the coffee booth.
    XnavyHMCS and Honkey_Kong like this.

XnavyHMCS is offline Senior Member
    God bless TJ...!!! Back in the day, late 80's and well into the 90's, I had a blast down there more than once. Hit up down south of TJ, Ensenada and all the way to the tip of Baja, Cabo; was great back in the day. Everything was cheap, but I hear that now all of that has changed.
    wango and lovbyts like this.

Quote Originally Posted by wango View Post
    Nice pic.

Just read yet another fentanyl/cartel story in the times this morning. I’ve got to hand it to these guys because they sure don’t lack imagination in their attempts to make friends and play nice with others.

Use those they kidnap to experiment their drugs and dosages on them (till they die). Oh, and this is a new one: using a cork screw to gouge out cores of muscle then fill the hole with chili peppers (you can’t even make shit like that up ffs). Only then do they kill them.

I ain’t stepping foot in that God forsaken country. Why the hell anyone would consider buying medication down there to save a buck, is beyond me and frankly if they buy some evil shit, they kinda deserve it for being so f’n stupid and naïve.

If I’m looking for danger, I’d sooner take a walk in our adjoining park here late at night. It’s MS 13 territory going by the tagging and the crime reports. At least they have the decency to stay out of our nice little neighborhood.

Good luck with the coffee booth.
    I agree with you on that, I'm never leaving the USA again in my life. As bad as we think it can be at home, it's a lot worse elsewhere.

Not to mention, I like sleeping in my own bed with my own MyPillow and my own sheets. I can't stand sleeping in hotels.
    wango and XnavyHMCS like this.

I agree with you on that, I'm never leaving the USA again in my life. As bad as we think it can be at home, it's a lot worse elsewhere.

Not to mention, I like sleeping in my own bed with my own MyPillow and my own sheets. I can't stand sleeping in hotels.
    Yup, with ya 100%. And, in particular, if I want to experience Mexican culture, I’ll go to El Torito.
    XnavyHMCS and Honkey_Kong like this.

Yup, with ya 100%. And, in particular, if I want to experience Mexican culture, I’ll go to El Torito.
    I'm one of those people that prefer to vacation at home. It's cheaper and I actually can get rest if I stay home.
    wango likes this.

Again, 100%.

I’ve traveled once with my wife in about 6-7 years. It was last November, a harmless 3 day getaway with 2 couples.

One of the dudes (a great guy, seriously) kept joking that almost everyone at his construction company has recently had or is out right now due to Covid (I started cursing the mf’r under my breath instantly). Was it him, the airport, the lodge, the restaurants, etc?

Got home and was positive in 2 days & never had the chills so bad/sick as a dog. To top it off, I actually did get a moderate case of pink eye (first time in my life), which apparently the new strain does.

Couldn’t talk to the dude for 6 weeks & told my the wife my traveling days are over. Actually the first time we saw the couple again, my wife was on my ass, warning me constantly to keep my mouth shut.

Hey man, know you ain’t into the Covid shit, I ain’t making a statement, just saying - why the fuck leave the comfort of your own home?

travel, see the world, have a great time why we can. Do not wait till you are old and have issues.

just avoid cartels.....lol

take cruises fellas, it truly is the best way to travel. im 30min from the port so its easy for me.
    Honkey_Kong, wango and lovbyts like this.

With cruises I thought you were always bumping into the same people day after day. The thought of faking interest in them or making small talk would be grueling. That said, I do get the advantages & if I were to do something overseas, the wife & I agree, it would be the way to go.

Where do you do your cruises to? How long? How’s the food?

you do your own thing, just don't be cheap and get a balcony room. You will bump into the same people but that makes it more fun. don't be fake, be real, you don't have to like everyone.

we have been everywhere, every port in the Caribbean, as we sail from ft Lauderdale or Miami. we were going to do Alaska next year but we just switched and are flying to Barcelona and taking a 8 day cruise hitting Italy, France, Greece, going all over.
    this will be our first international.

food is good if you know what u are doing and included plus you can pay extra for steakhouse which is great. there are many tricks to cruising so u avoid the new cruisers pitfalls.
    once u get established as a gambler they give u cruises for free. All we do is pay port fees and taxes for wife and I and if son comes we have to pay his rate. the cruise lines heavily reward GAMBLERS, and I play a lot .
    Honkey_Kong and lovbyts like this.

Cheap? Hell no, if I’m leaving the house, it will be worth it & like most things; you get what you pay for. But yeah, the cruises we have looked at, we generally gravitate to the higher end; so I hear you there. You’d shit if I told you what the wife and I have paid for dinner, lol. But when it comes to certain things, we ain’t shy about dropping some $, because it’s generally worth it.

Would seriously like to hear about that cruise in Europe afterwards. Likely the only way I would do Europe (my wife’s been there a bunch and going in September), is a cruise like that. Interesting, thanks.

Got it about the gambling. A friend is awesome at blackjack and is comped at a major Vegas hotel. Damn, they treat the dude like royalty.

you do your own thing, just don't be cheap and get a balcony room. You will bump into the same people but that makes it more fun. don't be fake, be real, you don't have to like everyone.

we have been everywhere, every port in the Caribbean, as we sail from ft Lauderdale or Miami. we were going to do Alaska next year but we just switched and are flying to Barcelona and taking a 8 day cruise hitting Italy, France, Greece, going all over.
    this will be our first international.

food is good if you know what u are doing and included plus you can pay extra for steakhouse which is great. there are many tricks to cruising so u avoid the new cruisers pitfalls.
    once u get established as a gambler they give u cruises for free. All we do is pay port fees and taxes for wife and I and if son comes we have to pay his rate. the cruise lines heavily reward GAMBLERS, and I play a lot .
    My old lady has been wanting to go on a cruise. We were looking at a Disney cruise package (she's a big Disney fan). I told her once I start feeling better, we'll talk more seriously about going on one. Mind you I've never been on a cruise before and I'm the kind of guy that likes relaxing at home. So what kind of stuff is there to do on a cruise? I mean besides gambling.

Cheap? Hell no, if I’m leaving the house, it will be worth it & like most things; you get what you pay for. But yeah, the cruises we have looked at, we generally gravitate to the higher end; so I hear you there. You’d shit if I told you what the wife and I have paid for dinner, lol. But when it comes to certain things, we ain’t shy about dropping some $, because it’s generally worth it.

Would seriously like to hear about that cruise in Europe afterwards. Likely the only way I would do Europe (my wife’s been there a bunch and going in September), is a cruise like that. Interesting, thanks.

Got it about the gambling. A friend is awesome at blackjack and is comped at a major Vegas hotel. Damn, they treat the dude like royalty.
    The way casinos treat people like royalty in Vegas is based on what their average bet is, how long they play for and how much they lose. I believe Sam Boyd casinos comp 10% of your losses. Also if you have a credit line with the house, they tend to be more generous with the comps. That free hotel room isn't free. I remember dealing at one Vegas casino to some guy who in the course of maybe 45 mins lost over $50k to me. I also remember taking over $20k from DMX during the NBA all-star game weekend in like 2007 or 2008. And that's nothing compared to how much some customers would play/lose. You can go over to the Wynn right now and you'll find guys betting $10's of thousand of dollars per hand. They tend to get treated better than the regular customer, because they're worth a lot of money to the place.

So if your friend is treated like royalty at those hotels, it's because he's dropped a lot of money there. He might tell you some elaborate system and you might see him go up for a little while at the tables, but over time he's going to lose and lose big. If he didn't lose, the casino wouldn't let him play there.
    Last edited by Honkey_Kong; 05-04-2023 at 01:31 AM.

My old lady has been wanting to go on a cruise. We were looking at a Disney cruise package (she's a big Disney fan). I told her once I start feeling better, we'll talk more seriously about going on one. Mind you I've never been on a cruise before and I'm the kind of guy that likes relaxing at home. So what kind of stuff is there to do on a cruise? I mean besides gambling.
    brotha, there is everything to do and nothing to do, its truly however you want to be.
    port days you get off the ship and either explore or do excursions. We dive so pretty much always dive excursion for us. But there is all sorts cool shit to do on islands...
    sea days there is always trivia, bingo, art shows, dancing classes, all sorts cool shit. Deck life is real as there is music and games going on all day, it gets crazy.
    each night thee are many shows going on from comedy to broadway type shit. Royal does tower diving and its nuts. Its always relaxing, never rushing...
    best thing, leave phone in room...wife takes hers for pictures.
    always food available of all different levels. Fatties and rookies hit buffet way to much.
    kids club is great, the kids love it and its free.

next trip is august, 7 day on carnivals new ship.
    lovbyts likes this.

I will stick to my cruises...
    I LOVE cruises but the wife gets motion sickness even with the patches. Ive done over a dozen cruises and loved every one. We did the Alaska Cruise but she wasn't feeling well most of the time. Im going to try to talk her into doing another one and try the wrist bands also.

With cruises I thought you were always bumping into the same people day after day. The thought of faking interest in them or making small talk would be grueling. That said, I do get the advantages & if I were to do something overseas, the wife & I agree, it would be the way to go.

Where do you do your cruises to? How long? How’s the food?
    Sounds like you are thinking about a life boat, not a cruise ship. lol Most cruise ships have between 3000 - 6000 passengers, not counting the crew.

Food is always amazing and they have most everything you can think of. They are also cleaning everything 24/7. Get up at night and you will see them wiping all the hand rails, elevator buttons and door knobs with bleach/water. They do it all day also but you dont notice with all the people.

Ive been on 3, 4, 5, 7 & 9 day cruises, mostly Bahamas and East coast down to Belize.

My best cruise was where I missed the cruise ship in Cozumel and did exactly what they told me was impossible, reaching Belize by land. 1 1/2 days by bus (old school bus) and ran out of money at the Belize boarder. Best trip ever and the captain of the ship came to our room to greet us back on the ship saying we were the 1st to ever make it. lol Everyone knew us on the ship after that also.

Also agree, always get a balcony room. A couple times I got the captains suite because its big and I was on the cruise with a friend/buddy, not a girlfriend or wife.

A little cruise tip/trick I learned my 1st cruise. Dont bother with a wake up call, alarm clock or setting your phone timer. ALWAYS/Every day set out the breakfast room service card on your door knob (dont be shy about what you want for breakfast) and what time. Every morning you are woke up to a knock on the door with all your food on a big tray. Eat in your room or on the deck and yes I do this on morning excursions days too.

The most expensive thing about cruises is the alcohol charge. I dont drink beer so no big deal but I like to have 1 or 2 mixed drinks most days/evenings. I bring a couple bottles of pedialyte or something similar filled with Vodka or Rum and get 1 souvenir drink glass. Juices are free.
    Last edited by lovbyts; 05-07-2023 at 01:09 AM.
    wango and XnavyHMCS like this.

XnavyHMCS is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lovbyts View Post
    The most expensive thing about cruises is the alcohol charge. I dont drink beer so no big deal but I like to have 1 or 2 mixed drinks most days/evenings. I bring a couple bottles of pedialyte or something similar filled with Vodka or Rum and get 1 souvenir drink glass. Juices are free.
    Classic here gents. Pearls of wisdom; I gotta remember that one; pedialyte...
    lovbyts likes this.

Sounds like you are thinking about a life boat, not a cruise ship. lol Most cruise ships have between 3000 - 6000 passengers, not counting the crew.

Food is always amazing and they have most everything you can think of. They are also cleaning everything 24/7. Get up at night and you will see them wiping all the hand rails, elevator buttons and door knobs with bleach/water. They do it all day also but you dont notice with all the people.

Ive been on 3, 4, 5, 7 & 9 day cruises, mostly Bahamas and East coast down to Belize.

My best cruise was where I missed the cruise ship in Cozumel and did exactly what they told me was impossible, reaching Belize by land. 1 1/2 days by bus (old school bus) and ran out of money at the Belize boarder. Best trip ever and the captain of the ship came to our room to greet us back on the ship saying we were the 1st to ever make it. lol Everyone knew us on the ship after that also.

Also agree, always get a balcony room. A couple times I got the captains suite because its big and I was on the cruise with a friend/buddy, not a girlfriend or wife.

A little cruise tip/trick I learned my 1st cruise. Dont bother with a wake up call, alarm clock or setting your phone timer. ALWAYS/Every day set out the breakfast room service card on your door knob (dont be shy about what you want for breakfast) and what time. Every morning you are woke up to a knock on the door with all your food on a big tray. Eat in your room or on the deck and yes I do this on morning excursions days too.

Thanks for the advice.

My mistake in my question was when the wife and I were considering the cruises about 15 years back, we were thinking river cruises in Europe, perhaps the Nile, perhaps the Amazon. Smaller vessels of course.

Regarding accommodations, food, etc. the wife and I have no problem understanding the “you get what you pay for concept” & when we do treat ourselves, have no problem dropping $.

I just don’t like leaving the house and I don’t like mingling. With regard to mingling then, the massive ocean bound ships would be much better for me.

Thanks again for the response, appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by XnavyHMCS View Post
    Classic here gents. Pearls of wisdom; I gotta remember that one; pedialyte...
    I meant to say, make sure its in your check in bag, not your carry on. I also put them in a 1 gallon zip lock back just in case (it has never happened) there is some leakage.

Quote Originally Posted by amyst View Post
    I lived in Puerto Morelos (30 drive from Cancun) for about 6 months and honestly don't want to go back there any time soon. I really enjoyed the walks on the beach, but that was it probably. I couldn't find a normal (not sweet) yogurt in the supermarket, all i ate there was tortillas, fruits and veggies.
    That sounds like a perfect business opportunity. Open a place that sells Yogurt and other food that tourist and other people would like that is not common there.

JTP$ is offline Associate Member
    yea, i have no desire to go to mexico, a whiteboy like me would stand out as a target for kidnapping/ransom demands.

i know america has gang problems too, but at least im allowed to own guns here.
    Test Monsterone likes this.

kelkel is offline HRT Specialist ~ AR-Platinum Elite-Hall of Famer ~ No Source Checks
    I did that cave float thing there years ago. Water was ice cold. Froze me ass off and was shaking badly. One and done.
    -*- NO SOURCE CHECKS -*-

Quote Originally Posted by kelkel View Post
    I did that cave float thing there years ago. Water was ice cold. Froze me ass off and was shaking badly. One and done.
    Strange, the one I did wasn't Warm but not cold by any means. I was expecting it to be colder. Maybe it was from all the people peeing in it? lol

There weren't many people doing ours, I think only 2 other groups of 5 or 6 people and the cave was pretty big so we didnt see them most of the time. I know the water could not have been to cold or the wife would have been complaining more. I was probably warmer due to swimming for 2 of us since she just held onto the back of my life jacket and I towed her along.
    Last edited by lovbyts; 06-12-2023 at 05:10 AM.
    Cylon357 likes this.

Test Monsterone is offline Anabolic Member
    I used to go to Mexico in the late 90s and early 2000s with my family, but I will probably never go there again. The Dominican Republic is just as nice, if not nicer, is way cheaper, and safer. Mexico is like Afghanistan now. I can’t enjoy myself knowing cartels are kidnapping people, torturing them, etc down the street. Cartels probably own a lot of those resorts. Mexico turned into a horror show.
    XnavyHMCS likes this.

Hmmm. Maybe I should have reconsidered taking that job offer at a call center down there? I thought it was odd that in the contract it said they provided all supplies but to please bring large trash bags as they were in short supply down there.

kelkel is offline HRT Specialist ~ AR-Platinum Elite-Hall of Famer ~ No Source Checks
    Strange, the one I did wasn't Warm but not cold by any means. I was expecting it to be colder. Maybe it was from all the people peeing in it? lol

There weren't many people doing ours, I think only 2 other groups of 5 or 6 people and the cave was pretty big so we didnt see them most of the time. I know the water could not have been to cold or the wife would have been complaining more. I was probably warmer due to swimming for 2 of us since she just held onto the back of my life jacket and I towed her along.
    Maybe it was just my time of the month.....
    -*- NO SOURCE CHECKS -*-

diesel101 is offline Anabolic Member
    Nice weather in Mexico but never cared for the peoples attitude down there.
    I am more of a Jamaica type of guy.

Quote Originally Posted by diesel101 View Post
    Nice weather in Mexico but never cared for the peoples attitude down there.
    I am more of a Jamaica type of guy.
    Really? I have found most of the people friendly in Mx but in Jamaica it seemed everyone was trying to sell something. Granted I wasnt in Jamaica for long so I didnt get to experience much of it.

Really? I have found most of the people friendly in Mx but in Jamaica it seemed everyone was trying to sell something. Granted I wasnt in Jamaica for long so I didnt get to experience much of it.
    Yeah, I found Mexicans really friendly as well, but then again when you're on a resort, they kind of have to be friendly. Most/all the mexicans I met here in the US were also friendly.
    lovbyts likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Test Monsterone View Post
    Yeah, I found Mexicans really friendly as well, but then again when you're on a resort, they kind of have to be friendly. Most/all the mexicans I met here in the US were also friendly.
    Most of my trips I spent a lot more time off resort than on. I would walk for hours through back street neighborhoods WAY off the beaten path. I even took a bus ride (old school bus) from Playa Del Carmen to Belize once. 2 day trip and stopped at probably 50 houses to drop off deliveries along the way. Had a few goats on the bus at one point. lol I was also $1.50 short in cash to cross the boarder at Belize due to the ATMs not letting me get cash out. Luckily the boarder crossing guard let me through because I did not try to argue or act like a entitled American and I was laughing at myself for being unprepared and willing to walk or hitch hike back if I had to.

Even on tours I always broke away and go where they tell you not to go and end up getting the best deals on souvenirs or just buying food. One of the resorts I was staying at I ended up getting to know one of the cooks and spending a couple evenings exploring local pubs/clubs off the beaten path. I also dated a girl for a while in Cabo San Lucas and again didnt exactly stick around the resort area. I dont think many tourist sent/drove out to some of the places I did like where she lived. She was a little surprised I didnt have a problem going to her area.

You know with all that you would think I would know how to speak Spanish but now but I dont. lol When I'm there I start picking up on words again and remember a little but no way I could carry on a conversation.
    Last edited by lovbyts; 06-27-2023 at 12:48 AM.
    Test Monsterone likes this.

I don't know if you heard about a guy named Larry Pollock... I think they're making a movie on him. He basically was living in Mexico and running a steroid manufacturing operation out there. Had a big beautiful house on the beach, lived there for years. One of the cartels caught wind of him and his dealings, so they kidnapped him at his home and tortured him a bunch of days while demanding money from his family back in the US. He witnessed other kidnapping victims getting murdered and I'm sure they would have murdered him, too, whether or not his family had complied. He eventually escaped and made it out. His story is pretty fascinating, you can find his interviews on youtube.

THAT is why I wouldn't just wander around in Mexico. The regular people are nice, but as a white man (especially an American) in countries like these, you are a target. I spoke to a guy married into my gf's side of the family and he was approached knife point in Ecuador I believe. He was with his wife and ended up fighting the guy and taking the knife off of him. But it could end up a lot worse. Plenty of people just kidnapped by a passing van, never to be seen again.

I also don't swim in the ocean these days because I don't want to be that 1% that ends up a shark snack.. certain things I just don't do. You've had some good luck so far, just don't let it run out.
    Mooseman33 and lovbyts like this.

Thread Information