BigGreen is offline Anabolic Member

Last car question....I promise (nissan murano)

Seriously, this'll be the last one I ask since I plan on buying within a few weeks. So, i went to take the Xterra for an extended test drive today and ended up being talked into taking the Murano for a test drive after getting back with the Xterra, and WOW! The Murano (for those who don't know, it's Nissan's new "city" SUV...something along the lines of the same styles of the VW Taureg, Lexus RX350 and the Porsche Cayenne) handled and rode better than most cars I've been in on top of having a number of very impressive features and luxuries. I know that it's relatively new, so not many people have much feedback, but I'm curious as to whether ANYONE either has one, or has a friend/neighbor with one and would care to rely their experiences. I would imagine there are at least a few who have taken it for a test drive.

SilverSiR is offline Junior Member
    I know a few people that have them, but I would never buy one. It is either go for the SUV or stay with a car nothing inbetween. I personally would buy myself a Nissan 350z or the more upscale and luxurious Infiniti G35.

abstrack is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Jeezus!!! You still have not purchased a car yet??? j/k-- A guy I know has one and he loves the car, I took a look at the car and I like the looks of the cockpit and exterior. good choice of a car if you into the new suv's but still nothing in compare to a bmw
    abstrack@protonmail.com

BIG R is offline Member
    I've heard the the Murano does not have a conventional Transmition. It has something like a pulley system that does not even need to switch gears....How did that feel when you were driving? That is my question to you.

R

Quote Originally Posted by BIG R
    I've heard the the Murano does not have a conventional Transmition. It has something like a pulley system that does not even need to switch gears....How did that feel when you were driving? That is my question to you.

R
    This is very true, I'm not sure of the specifics, but the way the salesman explained it to me was that rather than have 4 speeds or 5 speeds it had infinite speeds and made what I guess could be called "mini-shifts" every second. While I don't understand it, the bottom line is that it provided an absolutely amazing ride...second to none in the way that it felt more like being on one of those smooth electric trans than in a car. It's sort of tough to explain how it felt, since it literally was like nothing I've ever felt in a vehicle before. However poor my ability to explain it, there is no question in my mind that this is the future of auto transmissions provided there are not serious problems with it down the road (a concern of mine).

Quote Originally Posted by SilverSiR
    It is either go for the SUV or stay with a car nothing inbetween.
    Well, with regards to that it is a legitimate point. After evaluating why, exactly, I wanted an SUV, however, the murano becomes a completely logical choice. I don't ever plan on going off roading, regardless of which vehicle i ultimately select. My main reasons for going the SUV route are space (both for people and cargo), safety, reliability in inclement weather (i'm in the mountains of new hampshire) and the ability to serve in multiple roles (thus the "U" in SUV...though not many people use it).

While the morano may not be the ideal choice for throwing on some kayaks and bikes (as I will do from time to time), yakama does make racks specifically for the murano specifically for those purposes. The Xterra is probably still my top choice (though the mitsubishi endeavor came into favor in a big way today), but the murano at least warrants further examination.

SilverSiR is offline Junior Member
    It's called CVT (continual variable transmission), imagine 2 pylon cones one on top of each other with a belt driven between them. That's how in theory there's an unlimited set of gears.

Google it up to know more ...

LORDBLiTZ Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverSiR
    It's called CVT (continual variable transmission), imagine 2 pylon cones one on top of each other with a belt driven between them. That's how in theory there's an unlimited set of gears.

Google it up to know more ...
    This is correct. Honda designed it in the early 70's.

dizzle is offline Respected Member
    Sorry for the late post, I think the Murano looks way better than the Xterra. Maybe because it's new, but I always do a double take when I see one.

Strut99GT is offline Member
    The infintely variable transmission rules.
    The Murano is a nice ride, and I would highly recommend it. I didn't include it on any of the previous lists because it does not lie in the price range you initially told us you were looking for. Get the orange-ish color, it's awesome!

pumpseeker is offline Senior Member
    I've passed by a few and it's always black guys driving them. Muranos are a nice looking automobile, no doubt. Actually, my sister just researched and bought a mini SUV, the Acura MDX. For the money, it's definitely a better deal than the X5 because it comes loaded, only 1 option...navigation. It even has a camera that shows what's behind you on your screen that you can use when backing up. I thought that was cool.

Strut99GT is offline Member
    The MDX is by no means a mini SUV, for the record. It's quite large, actually, and has a third-row seat if I recall correctly. The MDX is even more expensive than the Murano, though, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Strut99GT
    The infintely variable transmission rules.
    The Murano is a nice ride, and I would highly recommend it. I didn't include it on any of the previous lists because it does not lie in the price range you initially told us you were looking for. Get the orange-ish color, it's awesome!
    Yeah, it is outside of my original price range, but i don't mind spending a few thousand of my own money to go with this one (guess I'll just have to wait on GH for a while longer...jk). If I do go with this one it'll definitely be the burnt sienna/orange color. I've actually become extremely limited in my options as I've test driven. For the LIFE of me, I couldn't fit in the envoy or the trailblazer...to say nothing of the ford escape or landrover freelander. I'm really only looking now at the Xterra, Murano, Endeavor (mitsubishi), Pilot and Explorer. The Xterra probably leads the pack because I can still be a sloppy bastard...throwing wet, muddy beach towels or boots in the back, and I'm not sure I'd want to do that with a 30K+ vehicle.

bermich is offline Anabolic Member
    Sounds like a nice transmission but with all that crap just seems like it would need SERIOUS mantinance in 3 years.

Thread Information