Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BigGreen is offline Anabolic Member

Post your nomination for the greatest filmic masterpiece of all time....

And by "masterpiece" I truly do mean masterpiece. Not just the best movie, or your favorite movie (though it may be both) but the film that you believe best encapsulates the best of all that which comprises brilliant filmmaking. So, not only should there be a kickass narrative, but the film should employ incredible camera work, near perfect casting, phenomenal dialogue, a superb soundtrack (that is appropriate for the film...no soundtracks for the sake of record sales), pertinent special effects, etc, etc. Upon nomination, defend your choice...this board isn't some mom and pop fly by night operation!

My nomination: Vanilla Sky (big surprsise)

I think this film truly tells a story that can not be effectively told through another medium...the surreal nature of the film just doesn't lend itself to orality, stage, or literature...truly a piece that could only be done in film and takes full advantage of the medium. The soundtrack is simply amazing and I can think of few other films that seem so perfectly cast. Where special effects are needed, they are nicely done without detracting from the film as a whole. The sets are next to flawless in the manner in which they almost serve as characters as the movie flows. I could go on and on in defense of this film. It's only weakness, and it does make it difficult for me to nominate it in some regards, is the fact that it is a pseudo-remake...that makes it a tough pick since pure originality is a criteria in my estimation. HOwever, the rest of the film is so brilliantly done that I ultimately have to give it my nod. Honorable mentions include Citizen Kane, Star Wars, Braveheart and the 25th Hour.

iron4life79 is offline Retired Moderator
    MY NOMINATION:
    anything by alfred hitchcock.........the guy was a true storytelling master. while its true these films are older, they will live on for a long time as some of the most well layed out psychological thrillers of all time.
    #1- the birds
    #2-rope
    #3- north by northwest

peace I4L

Money Boss Hustla is offline Retired Moderator
    2001 A Space Odyssey.

caturpilar is offline Associate Member
    This is a tough one, because there are so many greats. I would have to say
    One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest. Granted there are no special effects, but to be able to pull so much human emotion out of one film is an amazing accomplishment. You start off thinking 'oh ya buck the system, right on, a renegade' but then your drawn to the fact that this "renegade" is in fact quite empathetic to the other 'crazys'. Not to mention the few laughs you get along the way. And in the end your like damn! and it kills to see Murphy as a veg. I don't know but this movie I think is one of the greatest of all time.
    Runner ups would be:
    American Graffiti
    Cool Hand Luke
    Fight Club

usualsuspect is offline Anabolic Member
    My nomination goes to the The Godfather.

The Godfather is so captivating that it's easy to lose sight of the fact that the movie is grounded in Hollywood. Old-School mobsters recognized the film as a documentation in the world of organized crime.

~US~

punk_bbuilder is offline Senior Member
    American Beauty.....Amazing....and anything by stanley Kubrick

TheGame826 is offline Member
    Id say Braveheart

and in a very close second Vanilla Sky.

I think Braveheart is the perfect movie. It had a great story, love, action, heros, and everything else. Vanilla is just a brilliant movie. I recommend that everyone see it, and study it.

Godfather I and II really is the climax of cinema for me...

Apocalypse Now and Shogun come tied in second place

The Blues Brothers comes in third...

Red
    Last edited by Red Ketchup; 08-10-2003 at 01:01 PM.

BimBamBoom is offline Associate Member
    - What dreams may come
    - fight club
    - vanilla sky ( remake of open your eyes )
    - american beauty

had to name more than one

nj juice is offline Member
    1. Scarface- i think this is Pacino's best perfromance ever.

2. Godfathers 1 & 2

sin
    sin is offline Senior Member
    citizen kane
    apocalypse now
    godfather I

Money Boss Hustla is offline Retired Moderator
    How comes no one is mentioning Slapshot or Strangebrew? Very artisic....if you're Canadian. Haha!

animal-inside is online now Senior Member
    FULL METAL JACKET. if you haven't seen it ..please do..
    perfect in everyway.. 1st half has u laughing till u cry then all of a sudden BAM! movie dose a 180 degree turn and pulls every emotion out of ur head.. then the end leaves you thinking you yourself must be truly crazy.....

soem others worth mentioning
    -what dreams may come
    -stand by me
    -apolcalypse now

redrock is offline Member
    1) Gladiator
    2) FMJ
    3) American Beauty

EXCESS is offline Retired Moderator
    Das Boot

FRANK WHITE is offline Senior Member
    For me, this is easy. AMADEUS. 1984. Oscars for best picture, best actor, F. Murray Abraham, Best Director, Milos Foreman. Best Cinemaphotography, etc. Also nominated for best actor was Tom Hulce, who played Mozart. I love Mozart, so this movie is especially endearing to me. If you haven't seen it yet, go see it. A great movie worthy of the greatest musical genius ever.

I'm glad and surprised to see "What Dreams may come" listed by a couple members. I really enjoyed that movie as well. I can't believe the critics didn't like it. I movie I feel is really underapp reciated is "Groundhog Day." I can watch that movie anytime, day or night.

Terinox is offline The One & Only
    WAY too hard to choose, cause there are truly some amazing movies out there, produced from different creative minds, and they all have their OWN uniquness to them.

I'd probably go with I guess,

What Dreams May Come
    Rain Man
    The Great Escape

RON
    RON is offline Anabolic Member
    "Debbie Does Dallas" best movie ever. Great plot. Best acting performances I've ever seen. One thumb way up

Quote Originally Posted by RON
    "Debbie Does Dallas" best movie ever. Great plot. Best acting performances I've ever seen. One thumb way up
    Ron, spoken like a true So Cal Bro. On thumb up. Thats a good one.
    Last edited by FRANK WHITE; 08-10-2003 at 08:54 PM.

clockworks is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RON
    bah, you stole my nomination...=P was gunna post that to...=P

-- clocky baby

Animal Cracker is offline Anabolic Member
    Godfather 1&2
    Once Upon a Time in America
    Apocalypes Now (just for that amazing 1st Cav beach raid scene!)
    Patriot ( the Mel Gibson Patriot, not Segal).

I agree with "Once Upon a Time in America", one heck of a good movie!

Red

Juggernaut is offline AR Jester
    First place for me would be Citizen Cane. Orson was well ahead of his time. The camera angles and cut scene are really something, not to mention the dialog and actors.

Second place would be Lawrence of Arabia. One of the scenes that stand's out in my mind is the burning match stick, hard to explain so you’ll just have to rent the movie and look for the burning match.

Third place would be Salton Sea. Very off the wall and stars Val Kilmer. The two scenes that blew me away were the “purchasing a hand gun” and “stealing Bob Hope’s s**t”.

Fourth place would go to The Fifth Element. Loved the actors, dialog and plot. Just a fun movie to watch, imo.

TheMudMan is offline Retired~ AR-Hall of Famer
    Godfather

Strut99GT is offline Member
    Godfather
    Apocalypse Now Redux (the original cut of the movie)
    2001: A Space Odyssey

some good choices on here for sure, though I'd like to hear some more solid defenses in favor of your choices. I think when I used the word "masterpiece" i was really thinking of those films which embody the most of which the filmic medium is capable...a narrative that could only be told through that particular medium. For example, I can't necessarily imagine a sculpture of the sistine chapel's ceiling, a painting of David at rest, a wood carving of the mona lisa, etc, etc. Likwise, I can't see Vanilla Sky being "told" on the pages of a book as effectively as with film. The same holds true with several of the films here...i'm just looking for some defenses of your choices (and there have been some good defenses above).

By the way, have any of you seen 'The 25th Hour'? If you have, i'm wondering how many of you saw it at least partially as Lee's (albeit 21st century) homage to "The Catcher in the Rye"?

By the way, I would like to also post for serious consideration Wes Craven's "New Nightmare". I think it is the only film to successfully work the "art as self aware" aspect into a movie.

BUYLONGTERM is offline Anabolic Member
    American Beauty

Catamount is offline Associate Member
    Just one out of the norm:

Wizard of Oz: sounds gay.....well very gay and I'm ashamed to post this but when did this movie come out and it's still a big hit....I mean who hasn't seen the movie more than five times.

Flounder is offline New Member
    Casablanca. Without the visuals (foggy runway, steamy North African environment) the story would not have been as powerful, thus could only be told through film.

I am extremely surprised so many people are choosing "Vanilla Sky". In all honesty I thought the dialogue was crap, the plot was lacking in depth, and the acting, despite a phenominal cast, was poor. A lot of that movie had no point and often I noticed there were unecessary scenes. A big part of this movie was getting Penelope Cruise to show her tits like she does in every movie she's in, but instead they made the parts in which she was topless VERY unsexy... in my opinion. I also have a thing against Tom Cruise, I just don't like his style, he's a truly talented actor, but cocky about it, and I feel he is overrated. I know I'm gonna get flamed up the ass for this but I just don't see why so many smart guys are picking this flick... more then likely you guys chipped out an underlying theme or something else which elluded me. However, I think I caught everything... but as many of you know I'm not "the sharpest tool in the shed" !

Anyways, I was looking at some possible "top choice" prospects, but there are damn well too many. So I'll just do a Top 10.

(Not in any particular order):
    1. "Fight Club"--- as usual a spectacular performance by Ed Norton... original plot and dialogue with a killer ending... almost should be in a class by its own.
    2. "25th Hour"----I agree with Big Green. Once again Ed Norton was incredible... the screenplay was brilliant, along with the progression of events and plot. This movie ranks, in my opinion, as having the greatest dialogue ever... the words were said at the right time, there were no flaws, the wording was intense but easy enough for everyone to understand. Great flick!
    3. "Scarface"---violence, sex, drugs, and a stellar performance by a young Al Pacino... what more needs to be said?
    4. "Patriot"----Mel Gibson is a great actor who actually lives a respectable lifestyle unlike several Hollywood superstars. This and "Braveheart" make my top 10. Incredible inspirational stories are told while portraying the life of a normal person fighting fights even outside of their violent battles... and with enough blood and gore to satisfy every moviegoer. Good shit.
    5. "Braveheart"---see above
    6. "Gladiator"----"What we do in life, echoes in eternity!"-the incredible Maximus played by Russell Crow. Amazingly inspirational, anyone who's seen this knows why it is great. Only problem is that Caesar, (the young one), gets on my nerves for wanting to fuck his sister. What a queer
    7. "Saving Private Ryan"---no explanation needed
    8 and 9. "Silence of the Lambs" and "Hannibal"... Anthony Hopkins is just the shit, and I love the Hannibal character. I don't think it's possible to go wrong with this series. "Red Dragon" was also good but didn't quite make my expectations when regarding these other two masterpieces.
    10. "Requiem for a Dream"---I'm surprised no one has mentioned it. I'm not going to ruin it for you, so go see it yourselves. You'll see what I'm talking about, it's incredible. And Jennifer Connelly is SMOKIN HOT!

There you guys go. Just to get in my .02 about Vanilla Sky and advertise a little bit for Blockbuster. Peace.

HP
    Last edited by Huge Presser; 08-18-2003 at 08:35 PM.

bigol'legs is offline Quadzilla
    WHAT!!!!!! NO CONAN? not the best but a good movie

1. Braveheart. I have actually watched this movie more than 100 times and have printed out the script and memorized every line. (i get bored sometimes)
    2. Patriot. I am a big Mel Gibson fan and any movie he has directed to this day is #1
    3. Mercury Rising. Bruce Willis is also a great actor and the "father" side of the movie had me in tears.
    4. Also any Star Trek movie.

BDTR is offline Retired
    You guys are allllll wrong. Greatest movie EVER - Dead Alive. If you don't agree, your opinion doesn't matter.

Catamount is offline Associate Member
    What about The Rock.....that movie has an awesome soundtrack and the cast is at it's best. I became a huge Ed Harris fan after that movie along with Sean Connery.

animal-inside is online now Senior Member
    I really doutb anyone who has posted here has seen FULL METAL JACKET... fuck!! pissing me off.. go rent the damm movie and hold on for a good one..

Strut99GT is offline Member
    I forgot to host Full Metal Jacket.
    I'll argue for one of the movies.
    Godfather: I was amazed by this movie for a number of reasons. First, the acting, dialogue is amazing, etc. etc. But that's almost a prerequisite for any of these movies to be in consideration at all. The reason I truly feel that this movie stands alone in greatness as something that could only be communicated through film is because of the feeling you get when you watch it. You feel like for three hours, you can understand the Italian culture, and their motivations behind doing the things they do. The music, the scenery, and the food are all *very* important aspects of the movie that give it it's personality.

Not to sound harsh, but I can't believe some of the movies listed as the greatest masterpieces of all time. There's a big difference between favorite movie and greatest masterpiece. I personally love "King of New York", but understand it is by no means one of the greatest masterpieces of all time, to a few. I completely understand movies such as braveheart, godfather, and casablanca. Also, the Wizard of Oz, being listed as masterpieces. Has anyone else even seen "Amadeus". If not go watch it, Please!
    Last edited by FRANK WHITE; 08-19-2003 at 11:02 PM.

talon is offline Senior Member
    Oh this one is simple, though its not my favorite movie of all time, but I have to say its a masterpiece of cinema:
    THE GREEN MILE

Quote Originally Posted by FRANK WHITE
    Has anyone else even seen "Amadeus". If not go watch it, Please!
    It is indeed a great movie... never new Mozart was such a wild man I saw it when it came out... (yeah I am dating myself there ain't I?).

Red

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information