wrstlr69sdnl is offline Senior Member

Anyone have a Motor Cycle license?

I recently was given a motorcyle from a friend the only thing I had to do was get a new battery and weels and its mine my question is it hard to get a license for it and what does it consist of my other question is, is insurance high for a motorcycle and what is the average payment

mass junkie is offline banned
    I got one...........................Well in the state of florida you can actually finance a bike without insurance..................but of course I have it...I only pay 53 a month through progressive and im 28, married with kids and own a rice burner
    Last edited by mass junkie; 08-22-2003 at 07:27 PM.

PaPaPumP is offline Retired Moderator
    it depends what kind of bike it is of how hard the test is...its best to use the smallest lightest bike possible when takingthe test so its easier to maneuver...i have one, and passed it on the first try...but i rode dirt bikes for a couple years before getting the rocket.

MMC78 is offline Senior Member
    Go here http://www.msf-usa.org/
    Sign up for a basic rider training course. They will teach you how to safely ride and upon completion of the course, you will automatically have a motorcycle license.

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by PaPaPumP
    it depends what kind of bike it is of how hard the test is...its best to use the smallest lightest bike possible when takingthe test so its easier to maneuver...
    I saw a guy tip a Harley Heritage on the cone weave portion - we all felt that! Why he wanted to do a road test on such a big, expensive bike is beyond me...

But I got one brother. I was living in a little island in the Pacfic at the time and thought it was the perfect place. Plus I got a killer deal from some guy trying to get to Japan. My only previous experience was riding mini-bikes, ATV's and such as a kid... and riding a bicycle

I bought the bike with very little knowledge on how to bring it home. I asked the guy to show me some in's and out's on riding which he did. When I was comfortable with it - we hit the beach and shortly after he went his way - and I went mine. That was the freakest ride on a freeway ever

Practice in parking lots and shifting up hills and what not. After a little while it will kind of become an extension of your body... just remember: once you lose respect for the bike and the fact that there is little between you and the racing asphault - thats when accidents happen. Get comfortable - but not too comfortable. Never ride with one hand. And even if a car driver looks at you - they may be looking right THROUGH YOU... be carefull...

One thing that pisses me off the most when I am riding is when people tail gate you in cars. If I spin out - they would have little room to swerve from hitting me... that shit pisses me off...

nj juice is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mass junkie
    I got one...........................Well in the state of florida you can actually finance a bike without insurance..................but of course I have it...I only pay 53 a month through progressive and im 28, married with kids and own a rice burner
    $53 a month?.... What kind of insurance you got? I'm in new jersey, which has to be easily the worst state for insurance and i only pay $236 a year for my GSX. That's like only $20 a month, and i'm 21 and single.

mass junkie is offline banned
    how in the hell did you get it for so cheap?..........is it for full coverage.................I heard that we have to pay more for theft insurance for living in miami...but damn...............thanks for letting me know.....I think I may shop around

Tock is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MMC78
    Go here http://www.msf-usa.org/
    Sign up for a basic rider training course. They will teach you how to safely ride and upon completion of the course, you will automatically have a motorcycle license.
    ====================================

Wise words . . .

Here in Texas, you take the course, get a certificate from the instructor, and you take that to the license people, and all ya gotta do is pass the written test (you'd have to be brain-dead to get anything less than 100), and that's it.

But for sure, go through the safety class. It will absolutely come in handy . . . Some guy named "Hurt" did a study of motorcycle wrecks, and discovered that the people most likely to have been involved in a wreck were (1) without a mc license, (2) had no mc insurance, (3) been riding for less than 6 months, (4) had not been through a mc safety class, (5) been riding a crotch rocket (6) under 21 (7) speeding
    Those least likely to have been in a wreck were (1) riding cruisers (2) had recent mc safety training (3) older--I forget what age (4) had licenses, insurance, helmets, yada yada yada.

cfiler is offline Anabolic Member
    I picked up my motorcycle license last year. We have to take a beginers written test first. Thats all you need to ride. It restricts you to only days, no passengers, no trailer, and under 800cc motor size.

But for a 10min test, it was super easy. I rode a bike for a year, and now will go take a safety coarse. Belive me it is worth it to take a course. It changes your mentality, because you have to think differently when you ride a bike.

PS buy a full face shoie helmet. They are the best out there, and cost so much you will never do anything stupid, because you will not want to wreak that expensive helmet. Honestly it was the best thing I bought.

Gearhead007 is offline Associate Member
    I have a Harley FXDL and I pay $115 a month for insurance. Single, clean record. I just live in the highest price-rated insurance county in the United States. That sucks.

Harley has a "Riders Edge" training course at most dealers for about $250. Some community colleges have the same thing. At least in Texas, if you take this course, you just take the certificate to the license office, take the written and get your license. There is no road test with the certificate in Texas. Pretty easy.

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~
    im, 26 and in NJ with a gixxer i pay 145 a year but thats not with colission
    If people can't tell your on steroids then your doing them wrong

I have my endorsement. I'm not quite familiar with the manuever ability test in CA, but Ohio's was pretty difficult. I took mine on a GSXR750 and barely past. I suggest taking yours on the smallest bike you can find. My preminum on my R1 is $310.00/year and my 900RR is $270.00/year; both full-coverage.

Thread Information