mammoth is offline Member

Possibly relocating

Well I have finally decided to up and move from the east coast to the west coast. We currently live in Georgia and are looking to move close to our family in Yucaipa California. This change is something I have contemplated for years, and now seems to be just as good a time as any. The thought of having to find a new house and a new job is a bit overwhelming, especially seeing as how I am going from a bad economy to a even worse economy. I don't mind making a career change as long as it is on my terms.

Has anybody had any experience in this sort of life changing event? If I didn't have a wife and daughter I wouldn't be sweating the issue. I don't even know where to start really. Any suggestions?

Butch is offline Anabolic Member
    You may want to rethink moving here bro...this is not Cali's best time...no jobs, price of homes are out of control....that and we have just recalled our Govenor....

But I do wish you the best of luck...Keep it real!

hercules88 is offline Senior Member
    first if you do move here ( i can say this cause i just move to cali) i would check out schools for your daughter make sure she gets into a good district. the only advice is check the job market and cost of living and see if it is economic for you to make the move. hope this helps.

if you dont have to move i would see how the rest of the family feels as well. but i know your a smart individual and all ready figured that one out.

good luck

Thanks for the heads up guys! I have looked into homes in the area where we want to live and its just simply not feasible at the moment. Homes are way too pricey for us. Looks like we are stuck here in rural Georgia for awhile. Thanks again!

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    Mammoth, we are about to look into moving also. From southwest Texas to West Texas. My bother-in-law already lives out there and has set me up with a kick-ass job, and a chance to buy a house. I'm nervous as hell about it because we're already established here. But the move will be a good change for us, and we need one right now. Of course this is to late because I see you're not moving. Oh well.... better late than never.

Good luck in your move! What a pain in the ass it can be! Best wishes to your family as well.

Juggernaut is offline AR Jester
    Big Texan, sounds like a sweet deal, don't think about just do it. Pretty cool how one door shuts only to have another one open up for you.

Mammoth, sorry to hear things aren't well enough to facilitate a move for you and yours. As soon as Ahnold takes the helm you should be able to move out to the west coast soon, give him a week or two and everything should be great. ha BTW what line of work are in currently and what would you consider trying out if you were to make a career change?

KeyMastur is offline VET
    Move to Frisco, TX - great new place on the north side of Dallas.

Quote Originally Posted by Juggernaut2148
    Big Texan, sounds like a sweet deal, don't think about just do it. Pretty cool how one door shuts only to have another one open up for you.

Mammoth, sorry to hear things aren't well enough to facilitate a move for you and yours. As soon as Ahnold takes the helm you should be able to move out to the west coast soon, give him a week or two and everything should be great. ha BTW what line of work are in currently and what would you consider trying out if you were to make a career change?
    Howdy Jugger.....

As much as I would love to see the Oak take the seat, I think he might just get beat. Anyhow, currently I am a Network Engineer and I wouldn't mind making a career change to something in a similar field. I thought about a teaching job, but the cut in pay wouldn't allow me to keep my current standard of living. I don't mind making sacrifices, however if I have to go into debt to make this move then I don't think it would be worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by KeyMastur
    Move to Frisco, TX - great new place on the north side of Dallas.
    New as in un-charted territory?? Hmmm...Mammoth the Mayor of Frisco!!! I shall start my campaign now!! Any Donations??

Seriously though, one of the main reasons why I want to leave georgia is that I am not into the whole country southerner lifestyle. Its damn hard to get away from it in the deep south! I love California and its culture.

You’re in the IT arena so I can understand your reason for looking for a change in career or it could be that you’re bored with it, whatever the reason best of luck to you my Woolly friend. I’m sure something will pop up. However hang in there a little longer, I work for a headhunting company and we see the trend slowly moving back up. I don’t think it will match the hay days of the 90’s but as the economy improves it should get better.

Teaching is a very rewarding job but you hit the nail on the head concerning the reduction in salary. My father was a principle, mom was a teacher and countless others in my family are in the teaching profession and they all say the same thing…………..you’ll starve to death…………but for a man of your size and stature that would take a long time to happen. HA

mass junkie is offline banned
    The Economy is looking much brighter with Arnold as the soon to be Governor.....what else could you want......

BigGreen is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BIG TEXAN
    Mammoth, we are about to look into moving also. From southwest Texas to West Texas. My bother-in-law already lives out there and has set me up with a kick-ass job, and a chance to buy a house. I'm nervous as hell about it because we're already established here. But the move will be a good change for us, and we need one right now. Of course this is to late because I see you're not moving. Oh well.... better late than never.

I'm speechless. WEST Texas?? It's like you're purposely prodding me to be a pain in the ass.

BigGreen, you couldn't POSSIBLY be a bigger pain in the rump as you are now.

BigGreen, you couldn't POSSIBLY be a bigger pain in the rump as you are now.

But WEST Texas? That would be like me moving to Cape Cod or Martha's Vineyard.

Quote Originally Posted by BigGreen
    But WEST Texas? That would be like me moving to Cape Cod or Martha's Vineyard.
    Trust me, I'm not that excited about moving there either. But I can get a great job (I could retire from it in 20 years with about $200,000- $300,000 in the bank) plus a chance to buy a 3 bedroom, 2 bath, 2 car garage, fencd in yard for about $16,000. Also it would give me and the wife a chance at a fresh start especially with everything that we've been through lately. Besides I'd still be around to kick your new englander butt into place.

For any that care, I'm talking to the people from Florida Power and Light right now and if they offer me the job we'll be moving this weekend.

I've got my fingers crossed for you bro. Let us know how things turn out. Bout time you caught a break in my opinion. Granted getting through the hard times makes us better people but damn it sucks being tested all the time, and bro for you it's almost been none stop finals.

Does ACME deliver in west Texas? Make sure to keep that anvil supply line open.

plus a chance to buy a 3 bedroom, 2 bath, 2 car garage, fencd in yard for about $16,000.
    Holy shit! Is it haunted? Did a triple murder take place there? Is it across the street from the "Bloods Texas Chapoter", or do you simply "know" someone who's hooking you up? Crap, I'd live just about anywhere in the United States to score a nice place like that for that kind of money. Do tell.

BigGreen... I think a few families were executed there. No, actually in West Texas there really isn't much especially in this small town of about 300 people. The town is basically dead except for the company I'll be working for (cross you fingers). So people are selling their homes dirt cheap just to get out from under them. It's about an hour outside Odessa so at least a big city isn't too far away.

Jugg, thanks bro. The wife and I decided this morning that it sounds like the best thing for us right now. I have an unofficial interview this Sunday and than we finish up later next week over the phone. I really hope I get it. The pay is ok, but again the cost of living in this town is practically nothing. But besides your 401k plan they match up to 5%-7% of your annual salary and put it in a seperate retirement fund. Along with paying full tuition and for all costs of going to college for every employee and their spouses. Benefits are just awesome and I feel I'd be an idiot to pass this up. I should still be able to workout in the local high schools weight room (I hope) so I believe all my bases are covered.

And Jugg, yes besides outragious shipping charges ACME does deliver.....

Thread Information