BigGreen is offline Anabolic Member

The "I Know a Guy" Guy!!

Every gym must have one...the guy who no matter what someone accomplishes, he's good friends with a guy who exceeds that by (insert numbers and how long he's known the guy and what good friends they are here).

I think i've mentioned before that I occassionally train with one of those lucky genetic bastards who is about 5'7" and 180ish (not overly huge, but with an awesome look) with tons of strenth to boot. Anyway, our gym held a bench press competition to close out the summer before all the bastards who didn't graduate went back to college. I couldn't compete because i was an organizer (and cutting I wouldn't have anyway) but this kid did and he got 365 at an official 184 weigh in, which doesn't put him too far off the NH state record...and he's going to go for it this year with some powerlifting specific training under his belt.

Anyway, we put up a bulletin board with the winners from each class and some guy was talking shit to me about it (who could barely max with 225 himself) that there must not have been much competition in the meet since the best overall lift (415) was what his buddy reps at. Being impressed I asked a bit more about this guy (who supposedly trains at this very gym, but I've never seen anyone repping with this weight at this particular gym) thinking he might be someone who has insane strength but doesn't look the part. He says, "Imagine an oak tree about your height. Yeah, think your height but about 60 or 70 lbs heavier, maybe more." NOW, going at 245-250, I'm trying to think how it could be I've been missing a 6'3"-6'4" 300-320lb guy over the last year i'd been training and working in that gym.

Anyway, the guy goes on to tell me that the guy shoulda been there tonight, but was banged up from doing full contact fighting. AND he played in the NFL but was cut in camp for being too violent and now was training to be a Navy SEAL! Seriously, what is up with every guy insecure about his own gym performance basically pulling the "I know superman/god" thing?????

KeyMastur is offline VET
    At my work we joke about that guy being known as "My buddy back home". There's always someone who will come up and say "my buddy back home did this / that".

Butch is offline Anabolic Member
    Dude I know this guy back home that was so HUGE he could do 325 biscep curls (10 reps easy) with an Olympic Bar.....lol

SHit you always run into guys like this...the shitty things sometimes this compulsive liars tell the best stories....you know they are bullshiting you but sometimes they make the story so believable....

tryingtogetbig is offline Whiney Member
    I call them "one-uppers". No matter what you are talking about they one up you every time. Drives me crazy. After being around guys like that I get afraid myself to talk about anything to other people for fear of being like them.

peace,

ttgb

bedrocked is offline Junior Member
    it's a less obvious way of bigging themselves up over others. self-esteem issues.

Strut99GT is offline Member
    Well, I really do know a guy that can bench 240% of his body weight, which is really impressive (he weighs 145-ish, and puts up 350-ish). As far as guys that are just plain huge, though, I don't have any stories. Other than my friend Arnold.

talon is offline Senior Member
    SRUT, I also, really no lie, know a kid that can put up 199% of his body weight, he's 150ish and puts up 340. Now, as far as what Big is saying I feel that. I have friends the same way....LOL

LOCKDOWN is offline Banned
    Whats up with everyone wanting to be a Navy SEAL?

Kid Shred is offline Member
    I know a guy, at my gym and we "used" to call him ...."The Legend" simply because he's the only guy in the Bodybuilding community to openly admit that he took 9 A-bombs a day for five weeks and during that time would do his weekly 275 bicep olympic bar bicep curls for like 8-10 with hardly any back swing. he was like 6 '1 250 with a boat load of water under his skin, strong as shit nonetheless.
    Fast Forward about a year, the guy is barely breaking a soft 200 lbs, never wears a tank simply because he's got tits that sag to his midsection along with nipples the size of a pool table ball, and always talks about how he'll never cycle again because it ruined his life. He is still referred to as the "the Legend" by others , but I think now the meaning of the name is a mere warning to others of what happens to "those guys" at the gym who are known for their great "accomplishments" and what happens to them in the end.
    Last edited by Kid Shred; 08-28-2003 at 01:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LOCKDOWN
    Whats up with everyone wanting to be a Navy SEAL?
    No shit...they have to dive in cold water all of the time. Cold water=less manhood. I need all of the manhood I can get!!

ttgb

Quote Originally Posted by tryingtogetbig
    No shit...they have to dive in cold water all of the time. Cold water=less manhood. I need all of the manhood I can get!!

ttgb
    Dont take roids. Roids=small balls

bigol'legs is offline Quadzilla
    I AM THAT GUY!!!!! hehe joking. But tell that guy BG you know a guy in MT thatll blow him away. But make sure you tell him I eat glass and chew nails.

bermich is offline Anabolic Member
    Leaving Dennys "a guy I know" was talking to two girls outside while they smoked. Just as I was walking outside I heard him telling the two girls he was a pro bull rider and how he had a tournament in vegas that weekend.
    He was already pissing me off before hand so I decided to make him look like an idiot without being a dick myself.
    I step into the conversation and ask "Who is a pro bull rider" like I didnt know what he was talking about.
    The look in his eyes was that of a complete jack ass. The girls looked at him waiting for him to respond. He knew if he said he was I would have called him on it. Shortly after, the girls kinda got up and kinda left him alone.
    That same guy always has a story of being better.
    He used to own a Harley but no one has ever seen it because he JUST SOLD IT.
    He owns a boat but is docked somewhere.
    You name it, he has done it or is doing it tomorrow.

RON
    RON is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Butch
    Dude I know this guy back home that was so HUGE he could do 325 biscep curls (10 reps easy) with an Olympic Bar.....lol

I told you not to tell people about that bro. Damn I don't want people to treat me any diff just cause I have the strength of superman

Quote Originally Posted by talon
    Dont take roids. Roids=small balls
    uummmhh. I don't think that I was referring to my balls as my manhood.

peace,

ttgb

depdaddy is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bermich
    Leaving Dennys "a guy I know" was talking to two girls outside while they smoked. Just as I was walking outside I heard him telling the two girls he was a pro bull rider and how he had a tournament in vegas that weekend.
    He was already pissing me off before hand so I decided to make him look like an idiot without being a dick myself.
    I step into the conversation and ask "Who is a pro bull rider" like I didnt know what he was talking about.
    The look in his eyes was that of a complete jack ass. The girls looked at him waiting for him to respond. He knew if he said he was I would have called him on it. Shortly after, the girls kinda got up and kinda left him alone.
    That same guy always has a story of being better.
    He used to own a Harley but no one has ever seen it because he JUST SOLD IT.
    He owns a boat but is docked somewhere.
    You name it, he has done it or is doing it tomorrow.
    and i would have laid both of them if it wasnt for you bermich

xxxl83 is offline Productive Member
    Well they're alot of those guys' around. I don't really get angry with those "type" of people anymore I just ignore them.

Anyway I'll put like this "I'm from the "show me" part of town, so you really can't tell me much, you've got to show me and prove it.

For those of you who don't know where the "show me" part of town is you can usualy find it next to the "I saw it" or the "I heard about it" parts of town.

xxxl83

The Base is offline Associate Member
    I'm that guy!!

No, in all seriousness I know what you mean, but then I can always turn round and say I know a guy who can squat 417.5kg in competition and press behind neck 267.5kg - YES press behind neck!! And he has the world record for that! Oh and he's a former world strongest man - winner.
    But then he's a mate of mine! Guess I'm lucky!

It's like "In the summer, when I was at Band Camp there was this guy and....." BULLSHIT!!

My guy's real though!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by depdaddy
    and i would have laid both of them if it wasnt for you bermich
    If you didnt skip out on the Dennys bill I would have let you slide with the Bull riding routine like I usually do.
    I just thought you were gonna use the "Im a fire fighter" line on em. It got me all confused.

We had a girl like that at work when I used to be at the garage/fleet management dept.

She was a temp who replaced a sick coworker.

It was the most hilarious thing in the world... you could tell any story about anything happenning to you or your friend, and she'd one up you... she knew someone who's situation was worse...

It got to be a big joke at work. The guys in the shop (over a dozen blue collar mechanics, welders...) had a riot at break time inventing absolutely wild stories, and without fail, she'd one up the story with some even wilder claim.

I guess she craved being the center of attention but what a warm sack of bullshit she was!

Red

RED. The weird thing is: That person SELDOM knows he/she is doing it. Its like a cimpulsive disorder. You would think if he/she took a second to realize that the first story could not in anyway be true yet, he/she still needs to better it.
    Me
    Yeah I am flying to the moon tomorrow because I paid 10 million dollars to the Russian space agency.
    Him
    Oh yeah, well I was gonna go but they said they wanna train me for the mars flight because they said I am the most qualified. That is why they are letting you go to the moon first.

Dude-Man is offline Anabolic Member
    The funny thing about all this is, that I know a guy (my roomate up at school) that benches 355. When i tell people at my gym at home, they never believe me. Probably because they all max out around 185.

G Child is offline Anabolic Member
    Some kind of padded room...wearing some kinda white jacket...can't move...help!
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisAdams
    The funny thing about all this is, that I know a guy (my roomate up at school) that benches 355. When i tell people at my gym at home, they never believe me. Probably because they all max out around 185.
    Oh man, max 185... now that's gotta suck!

I think everyone know the "i know a guy" guy, which is pretty sad also.

What about the "I know" guy, the guy that no matter what the hell you tell him he already knew that? I hate that mother... !!

Shredz is offline Respected Member
    The "Bullshitter" I call them. There was a guy at my last job who was famous for his stories. One of them that comes to mind is he said that on his weekends off he was in charge of the teaching the Canadian Airforce/Navy to land on aircraft carriers. We all started laughing. We told him Bud!!! Canada doesn't even have aircraft carriers He then went on to tell us that yes they do it is just top secret stuff and please don't tell anyone that he was letting us in on it all. WHAT A JOKE!!

I have yet to understand these people myself but at least you get a good laugh out of it.

My advice is call them on it everytime!

Quote Originally Posted by Shredz
    One of them that comes to mind is he said that on his weekends off he was in charge of the teaching the Canadian Airforce/Navy to land on aircraft carriers. We all started laughing. We told him Bud!!! Canada doesn't even have aircraft carriers
    Bwahahahaha!!!!

Thats too funny! Aircraft carriers...

Well of course we got top secret aircraft carriers!!! They're parked right next to our faster than light spaceships and time machines.

Red

Quote Originally Posted by tryingtogetbig
    uummmhh. I don't think that I was referring to my balls as my manhood.

peace,

ttgb
    J/K bro......

mass junkie is offline banned
    I cant stand people who go to the gym to talk.................it never fails whenever its time to work legs....one of these little pricks holds up the use of either the Squat racks of the leg press with their dumb ass stories..........................sorry yall I guess I have issues

Swellin Guest
    As for the "I know a guy" guy, I have a lot of fun with them...unless I am in a bad mood, then they suck. I love to push them on their stories, and get them to take it to the next level. You get them to give you specifics. Ask crazy questions, like what kind of car does he drive, then say that you thought he was talking about so and so. Then you repat the "claim" part of his story, and say, " Oh yeah, this guy could not have done that...they can't be the same guy. Where did you say he was from?" Then get real specefic about the feat, and keep pushing for more. You get them so nervous, their specifics start changing. They change the lie right before your eyes, or they contradict themselves and make it obvious. In doing so, you don't look like a dick, you look like you are genuinely interested, and push them over the edge. They dig their own graves this way. My wife has learned to pick up on when I am doing this, and she said she feels sorry for the poor bastards, so she walks away.

Swellin Guest
    A friend of mine (:spudnikha ) is an air marshall, and another friend is an ex-SEAL. The ex-SEAL works as an independant contractor for the CIA. I got these two guys together, and just listened. They can make the most hard core "one-upper" run and hide with their true knowledge of this stuff.

Anyway, the air marchall was at the most recent training...when he met one of these super studs. This guy was a fighter pilot, chopper pilot, and a SEAL. My buddy is much like me in that he keeps giving them rope and helps them hang themselves. He asked the guy which team he was with... the guy said SEAL team 12.<<<BIG LAUGHS>>> Another spec ops guy says, there are only 6 "teams," with two additional units. One upper comes back with a fantastic line...."I guess that's what they told you." He was so top secret that the other eight teams knew nothing about him or his four phantom teams.

BTW, SEALs get pretty serious about folks claiming to be one, when they are not. It is dangerous to try and convince a SEAL that you were one. They can tell very easily, and they usually take it upon themselves to stomp your guts out.

Terinox is offline The One & Only
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Ketchup
    Bwahahahaha!!!!

Thats too funny! Aircraft carriers...

Well of course we got top secret aircraft carriers!!! They're parked right next to our faster than light spaceships and time machines.
    Red
    HEY HEY, now that's not funny!! I know this guy, who has a sister, who's boyfriends cousin works for CSIS, and they DO have that time machine!!

monster. is offline Anabolic Member
    kinda off topic, i love my good friend to death, he means well but he can come up with the greatest stories...

the best one that has been going on for a while, is this guy says he has 2 harley fatboys... now he has been saying this to me for the past 3 years, and even in the 90 degree summer, he is not riding them, they are always getting fixed...

lmaooooooo...i just go along with it

mass junkie is offline banned
    I know a guy that posts on some site called anabolic review that says he can do 2000 pounds on leg presses.......but doesnt ever show any proof

bigol'legs is offline Quadzilla
    Quote Originally Posted by mass junkie
    I know a guy that posts on some site called anabolic review that says he can do 2000 pounds on leg presses.......but doesnt ever show any proof
    well you sorry SOB!!! hehe ill prove it to ya by shoven my foot up your Azz!!

jeffylyte is offline Member
    Indiana. My phallus is bigger than Nathan's!
    reminds me of an interesting tale. well, I don't know a guy, but I saw a girl in the gym at lsu once make me look like a fool. after chest day as I was finishing up on inclines with 175? (I know very little) this girl comes up with two jacked up dudes (should of clued me in), ask me if Im done. The guys start stripping tens and fives while she gets under. they then add 25's (for a total of 185), and she proceeds to do a warm-up set!!!! My eyes like to pop. I find out later that she is on the LSU women's track team that was in the middle of 11 consecutive natioanl championships. Of course don't let me fool you she wasn't a wisp of a girl either...like 6' and 160-170 lbs. Oh well, so I get outlifted by a girl... that's an ego trip.

Full Intensity is offline Anabolic Member
    next time just keep one upping on them say, well another guy i knew and see how far they take it! then at the end say "i was just fucking with ya, your soo full of shit!"

Bigboy123 is offline Senior Member
    ITS called knowing mother FUkcing goose...

palme is offline Rosie Member
    Shredz

A guy i know true a Sweidsh board has a friend that can bench 300kg for 10 reps and has 1% bf all year round

daem is offline Anabolic Member
    the more one thinks about it, life is like one gigantic game of bullshit.

you keep playing and sometimes people get away with pulling the wool over everyone's eyes, but in the long run they end up the big losers. i call bullshit on as many people as possible in every situation because i can't stand someone who has to inflate his or her ego to steal someone elses thunder. in some cases i have been wrong, but i would venture that 95% of the time they retract or recant, or just plain stumble around for lost words.

i think im going to make a business card that advertises my speciality is foot insertion into mouth. im sure those turkeys would get a kick out of that when i hand them the card after making them look like fools.

*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member
    Old post resurrection

(Signed: The "I Know a Guy" Guy)

Thread Information