arthurb999 is offline Anabolic Member

Calling AR Mechanics

I have a 1996 Oldsmobile Bravada 4WD(SUV similar to Blazer) with 80K miles on it. I have never changed the transmission fluid or the differentials fluids (front, rear, and transfer case). Everytime I get an oil change they tell me to change them. People I talk to tell me not to because new fluid on old gears will wear them faster. What should I do?

BigGreen is offline Anabolic Member
    If I'm not mistaken, changing the transmission fluid requires flushing it out, which basically insures that the new fluid on old gear problem isn't a problem. But, just to give you an idea of why you should, my not keeping up with the tranny fluid is what killed my maxima.

Money Boss Hustla is offline Retired Moderator
    Change it.

Base your not changing the oil theory on the engine. Would you then change the engine oil? I'm sure you would.

tryingtogetbig is offline Whiney Member
    with 80k miles on it, you may want to just have the transmission fluid changed and not flushed. But you definitely need to have it changed. Probably still be okay to have it flushed. Had mine done the other day at 70k miles. Rear end and transfer case I usually do around 75k miles also. I think you are suppose to do it sooner, especially if you go off-roading or pull something a bunch.

peace,

ttgb

LORDBLiTZ Guest
    Change it with a synthetic oil.

956Vette is online now AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LORDBLiTZ
    Change it with a synthetic oil.
    No need for syn oil on that car IMO. Cars are made to run w/ shitty oil nowadays. Just drain the fluid, change the filter, and fill. simple as that. (I used to be ASE certified)

Thanks for the advice fellas!

someday is offline Member
    I change my trannyand transfer case fluid as well as both diffs every 20k miles.......

Change your tranny fluid bro... automatic transmissions need to be babied, and being a GM you'll need to remove the tranny oil pan to drain the old juice.

I suggest you get a new tranny oil filter (it's actually a strainer, which you access when removing the pan to drain the tranny) while you are at it. When you change the tranny juice, you usually change the strainer too.

Original GM and most aftermarket car parts stores sell complete tranny gasket + strainer kits. Well worth it in my opinion.

As for the transfer case and differentials juice, unless it's contaminated there is no need to change it. You may just need to top it off if there has been a leak. If it is contaminated, then drain and refill the diffs.

Be 110% sure the proper fluid is used in the proper places!!!! For the tranny and transfer case I highly suggest you pay a little more and stick to the original GM delco fluids. The differentials are less critical.

Red
    Last edited by Red Ketchup; 08-28-2003 at 05:52 PM.

FrkyBgStok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 956Vette
    No need for syn oil on that car IMO. Cars are made to run w/ shitty oil nowadays. Just drain the fluid, change the filter, and fill. simple as that. (I used to be ASE certified)
    no offense vette, but this is untrue. Todays cars are made so precise and with so little clearance that shitty oil can and will ruin a car. Second, a fluid change would be ok, but what about the fluid in the torque converter? If you were at 30k i would say a drain and refill, but you are 80k on original fluid. I would flush it. I have seen dirty oil run too many cars. Granted i work at a Ford dealership, generally all cars are the same, and like red said, baby your auto tranny. A flush costs about $100 while a complete overhaul is about $4000. You be the judge.

956Vette is online now AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FrkyBgStok
    no offense vette, but this is untrue. Todays cars are made so precise and with so little clearance that shitty oil can and will ruin a car. Second, a fluid change would be ok, but what about the fluid in the torque converter? If you were at 30k i would say a drain and refill, but you are 80k on original fluid. I would flush it. I have seen dirty oil run too many cars. Granted i work at a Ford dealership, generally all cars are the same, and like red said, baby your auto tranny. A flush costs about $100 while a complete overhaul is about $4000. You be the judge.
    I guess it all comes down to how much you care about your car. I used to be such a gear head, but over the years of working w/ cars and seeing how much the average person neglected their car, i kinda lost hope. I am just glad aurthor is going to get it done. Most people i delt with would never think of doing it (especially on their own). I had one lady come in w/ a yr old jeep grand cheeroke and asked when cars get their motor oil changed.-The car had 20,000 miles on it!!!!

My car gets nothing less than syn motor/trans/diff oil all at better than routine intervals. But i would just be happy if the average car owner would change oil every 3000, change drive belts at least every other yr, auto trans every 30000, man trans gear oil about every 50000, diffs at 50000 also, and acknowledge the condition of their radiator hoses, etc....

FrkyBgStok is offline Senior Member
    i will defintely second that vette. i have seen cars with 60k miles on the original oil. I think cars are getting better because people are getting more stupid.

Thanks guys. I try to keep up on the maintainence. I own the thing, (no payment) so I want it to last. I've done just about everything lately (last 2 oil changes I changed seprentine belt, coolant flush, fuel filter, air filter, etc...). I also got new front break pads and tires.

I will flush the tranny and the change the differentails and transfer case fluids. Is there anything else I should look out for?

Thread Information