KeyMastur is offline VET

owning a gym......

i think i've figured out what i want to do - i want to own a gym. anyone know how to go about doing this ?? i already asked the one guy that i know who owns a gym on this board, but seeing what other members have to say. what all is involved ?? would like to own a franchise gym actually - something like a 24 hour fitness or Golds Gym. something nationwide, not just local.

mass junkie is offline banned
    Quote Originally Posted by KeyMastur
    i think i've figured out what i want to do - i want to own a gym. anyone know how to go about doing this ?? i already asked the one guy that i know who owns a gym on this board, but seeing what other members have to say. what all is involved ?? would like to own a franchise gym actually - something like a 24 hour fitness or Golds Gym. something nationwide, not just local.
    Did ya talk to Partyboy?

KeyMastur is offline VET
    Quote Originally Posted by mass junkie
    Did ya talk to Partyboy?
    that's the one guy I PM'd already

mass junkie is offline banned
    that's the one guy I PM'd already
    Cool........Sounds like an Awesome idea to me........Do Ar members get a discount?

Pinch is offline Associate Member
    just open up your own gym and have a partnership with someone, so you don't have to hire anyone to run the gym... and you can just chill there and not pay labor

hercules88 is offline Senior Member
    i own every gym i walk into

Terinox is offline The One & Only
    You biter, that was my idea

Oh well, you're older, so u'll get it done first, so good luck. Are you planning to go solo or looking for a partner? What kind of gym? More family or more hardcore?

PTbyJason is offline Retired Admin
    would like to own a franchise gym actually - something like a 24 hour fitness
    24 hour fitness does not have franchise opportunities. It is privately owned.

Where are you looking to open one up at bro?

cb25 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by hercules88
    I like this response...

Good luck w/ the gym tho...we'll hold an AR convention for the grand opening...

Jdawg50 is offline Anabolic Member
    First talk to a bank, and someone that has a good amount of money, and willing to back you. Your going to need $$$ to get started.
    Good luck bro

Calipso is offline Banned Post Whore
    Quote Originally Posted by hercules88

Best response yet.

Ryanhallmark is offline Senior Member
    I am not sure where to get started, but I can assume that it isnt going to be cheap..I know the gym I work out at, got all new tread mills, and was selling the old ones used as is for like 3000.00 a peice and they had about 100 of them...

Pheedno is offline Respected Member
    It better be in Houston and I better get a designated locker.

TheMudMan is offline Retired~ AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Pheedno
    It better be in Houston and I better get a designated locker.

There has to be a cheaper way for Key to get his own locker

KeyMastur is offline VET
    Quote Originally Posted by PTbyJason
    24 hour fitness does not have franchise opportunities. It is privately owned.

Where are you looking to open one up at bro?
    so how would one go about opening up a privately owned gym ?? or can't you ?

so how would one go about opening up a privately owned gym ?? or can't you ?
    Well, you cannot open a 24 hour fitness at all, unless you want to work for the company.

You can buy a Gold's Gym, World Gym, etc.. franchise in a particular area, assuming no one else owns it in that area already. It is a yearly fee if you want to go that route, but it will get your gym more attention.

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    The owners of World Gym here in town said they had to pay outright $20,000 just to be allowed to use the name World's Gym. I'd love to open one up but it costs too much damn money for this poor ass white boy.

KeyMastur is offline VET
    Quote Originally Posted by BIG TEXAN
    The owners of World Gym here in town said they had to pay outright $20,000 just to be allowed to use the name World's Gym. I'd love to open one up but it costs too much damn money for this poor ass white boy.
    the 20 K is for the first year. i checked www.worldgym.com and under franchising it shows 13,000 for a franchise fee and then license fee's are 6,500 a year.

currently, there is not one here in houston - neither a World or Gold's. finding property is probably going to be the hard part. i would want to put it down in the heart of houston - galleria area. that's where the most people live and work, so it would be ideal. either there or up on the north side of town in the woodlands / spring area.

rob35145 is offline Junior Member
    http://www.fpcgroup.net/

http://www.healthclubsforsale.com/

You can check out both of these sites to see if anything is for sale in your area. Later.

RON
    RON is offline Anabolic Member
    Golds wants you to have $800,000 and at least $300,000 of it available. Its a dream of mine too. I've already owned a Manufacturing biz and didn't really care for it but I would like to open a gym when I can get some capital.

Also in addition to Worlds Gym there is Powerhouse also. IMO these two would be your best options or you could just start your own from scratch.

the 20 K is for the first year. i checked www.worldgym.com and under franchising it shows 13,000 for a franchise fee and then license fee's are 6,500 a year.

currently, there is not one here in houston - neither a World or Gold's. finding property is probably going to be the hard part. i would want to put it down in the heart of houston - galleria area. that's where the most people live and work, so it would be ideal. either there or up on the north side of town in the woodlands / spring area.
    major competition there bro. It's practically saturated already in the galleria area. There are some areas on the outskirts of Houston that are in desperate need of a decent gym. Out past Meyerland. We had people driving 30 minutes or more to that gym because they didn't have a decent one near them. I would get one on the outskirts, make some money and then start building new locations.

KeyMastur is offline VET
    Quote Originally Posted by PTbyJason
    major competition there bro. It's practically saturated already in the galleria area. There are some areas on the outskirts of Houston that are in desperate need of a decent gym. Out past Meyerland. We had people driving 30 minutes or more to that gym because they didn't have a decent one near them. I would get one on the outskirts, make some money and then start building new locations.
    yeah i've seen all the competition. there's like 50 24 HR's down in that area.

the woodlands doesn't have much, but the 1 24 HR. also down near sugarland / first colony where things have been rapidly expanding is another thought

Catamount is offline Associate Member
    One of my training partners who's a major consultant wanted to open up a gym and had a great idea for doing it. He came up with the idea of getting the money by having many people help invest in it by giving them a free membership to the gym and a say if they put down a certain amount to help out.

And I assume that even after having dished out that $$$ you still don't have a single piece of equipment or rental space yet?

I guess if you open a gym, you "immitate" the big guys, but go independant. And if you want to make money, then you can't really aim for the hardcore BB crowd (face it, most of us would train in a dump to save a few $$$ for more food or gear!), but for the fat housewives with plenty of $$$.

It's a nice dream bro... a nice one!

Of course you could always open a "hardcore only" dump of a gym, declare it a non-profit corporation and make the fees just enough to pay the rent, equipment and your salary.

Red

KeyMastur is offline VET
    my dream came crashing down when i the Ast. Manager of the gym I go to told me how much our facility costs - 5 million. i about shat my pants. of course it's got a sauna, steam room, 3 lanes pool, mens / womens locker room, basketball court, aerobics / spin room, kids center, and then the gym (cardio / weights).

and also he told me that the reason there's no gold's down in Houston, is that 24 HR bought out the rights to them. i was wondering why there wasn't one down here. looks like i'll be moving to dallas. i know the perfect area up there too. Frisco, TX - right on the north side of dallas. now, where to find the money...hmm...

i worked out a a gym in palm beach gardens i believe it was - a world's gym there. nothing but a huge weight room with locker rooms, kids center, and the only extra thing was the spin / aerobics room. that's all i want. none of this swimming pool, basketball, sauna crap.

Thread Information