Pheedno is offline Respected Member

Calling Physician's Practice Mngrs.

I have an opportunity to land an interview for a practice mngr postion at a friend of mines office. What I'm looking for is anybody that either does this, or would have some insight on to what to expect the interview process to be like(Doc M?).
    I've been an office manager for about 4 years, but thats apples to oranges in terms of comparing tasks and duties. This will also be the first interview I've ever done, and my good looks won't be a positive factor as the doctor is a lesbian

FrkyBgStok is offline Senior Member
    lol...no help here, but i will bump for ya bro.

BDTR is offline Retired
    I haven't seen doc M around here lately.

Doc M is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by bdtr
    I haven't seen doc M around here lately.
    Sorry..Sorry..I have indeed been absent for several weeks..We just welcomed our first child and needless to say she is quite the handful..Anyway, I apologize for not being more diligent in reading the threads..

Pheedno..If this is still in fact an issue, post it on this thread and I will give you a heads up on what types of questions we ask for such positions..I will tell you that the job is very demanding and can even be overwhelming if the practice is busy..Our Manager is very well compensated, but she earns every cent..I will keep my eyes peeled for this..Good Luck!!

Doc M

It's still in the works bro. I just gave my resume to my friend(whos the Physicians assist.)
    Any insight you have would be appreciated.

Congratualtions on the new born Doc!

Doc M is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Thanks Pheedno..

As far as your interview is concerned, I would make sure you are dressed to kill as most Interviewing Physicians will size you up immediately as far as your dress and attention to detail goes.

I look at it from the perspective of if a guy/gal is particular about their appearance, then they are likely to be particualr about details about their job duties.

Questions likely to be asked besides the standard educational and experience questions will key in on what are your strengths and weaknesses. Always name a weakness or two. This may sound self-defeating, but it shows character and the ability to identify areas that need to be improved on. A big thing in this job is going to be the ability to coordinate different areas of the practice so the Physicians never really know what's going on. We had a wonderful person in this position for 3 years and I can't remember ever having to question them on anything from billing to transcripts of patient records.

My best advice: Go into the interview and appear confident, not arrogant. Stress your strength in communication and conflict resolution among other employees. This is a very important job and it is going to require a great deal of time management and coordination. Here are the areas that we question about in our office when we hired our last Manager. We had 5 questions. I would spend at least a few minutes answering each question and possibly giving an example of how you handled your issue. Don't ramble, which is easy to do when attempting to expound, but be thorough.

1. Time Management
    2. Meeting deadlines for billing and collection of accounts
    3. Conflict Resolution
    4. *****Organizational Skills***** If you are not strong in this area then this job is going to be a trip to the funny farm.. Stress your strength here....
    5. Appearance, grooming, and presence

If you do not have a nice suit, polished shoes, crisp shirt and tie, then I would seriously consider getting one or borrowing one. Even if the Doctor is a lesbian, she is still going to want someone that represents her practice well and looks the part.

Since this is your first interview, I would have someone question you in these areas and go through with some dry runs prior to the interview. This will help ease your tension and stress level during the interview. Being nervous is all part of the game so don't worry about the butterflies. I can tell you are a sharp guy from your posts here at AR, and I don't anticipate you will have any problems during your interview. Good luck and keep us apprised!!

Other areas you may mention are: employee morale and how you will encourage it to be upbeat. Long term objectives for yourself and the practice.

Doc M
    Last edited by Doc M; 10-31-2003 at 02:03 PM.

Thanks for the post bro.

It is a long shot as she specified that she's looking for an experienced person, but agreed to look over my resume given what I've done the past 4-5yrs at the office. She also likes the idea of paying an entry level salary as opposed to the monster she offers for a person with 5+

I've been to some of the offices Pharm Rep parties and have met almost everyone in the office, including the doc so I think the interview will be pretty easy going.

Thread Information