Thread: Plasma TVs

pumpseeker is offline Senior Member

Plasma TVs

Anyone know anything about them? Like, are they worth the $$$, which one to buy, and an overall opinion on them? I saw a nice 37" Panasonic on the web I'm thinking of getting for $3,700.

Testify is offline Senior Member
    Pump, if you're going to spend that much money, you should check out consumerreports.com. Its like $2 a month. They have a ton of info on which have the best pictures, best sound, reliability, etc. I bought a new tv about a year ago at Bestbuy, and the plasmas looked awesome. I only wanted to spend like 1500 though. I ended up getting a Sony Wega 32". I love it. I wish I had bought the 36" though. I guess it'd be nice to have a plasma too.

Bigboy123 is offline Senior Member
    I know that dell is comin out with good quility plasmas for half the price... But check out the consumer reports like Testify said...

Catamount is offline Associate Member
    My parents just bought a 52" plasma tv and I love it. Can't remember what brand but I like them a hell of a lot better than the regulars. Also if you have satellite you may have to purchase a hi-definition box to go along with it. They just installed that and you can see every gran of sand on it. Personally I would spend the money in a heartbeat.

hoss827 is offline Banned
    Plasma TV's are too damn expensive...wish I had one though . Everyone feel free to get me one for x-mas . You can probably find one cheap online, but the reason they're so expensive is that only 1 out of every 100 actually work . In a few years though they'll be pretty good and they will be better.

BUYLONGTERM is offline Anabolic Member
    Bro, my buddy just bought 3 of them for his place. He got them for about half of what they go for

I will PM you with the site he got them at..

Doc M is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Sony KE-50XBR900
    Pump..We have three of these in our home and they are certainly worth the money if you have it to burn..They aren't cheap, but if you like outstanding picture quality then this is the way to go..I have HD receivers on all of them and it is also well worth the money..Even my wife thinks so and she thought I was crazy at first for spending that kind of money on televisions and HD receivers..We got a package deal for buying all three at once and it saved us about four thousand total..I would shop around though and look for the best deal/size..Only downside is that they are supposedly a nighmare to have repaired if something goes wrong with them..I will keep my fingers crossed it doesn't happen to me..Happy shopping..

Doc M

bigol'legs is offline Quadzilla
    I was at sears the other day and saw one for 6999$ shit I can get a nice used car for that much.. I guess I dont watch that much tv... and I have access to a movie theatre so I can take my DVD's and VHS in there and Have a whole theatre to myself and family

Maximus_Pecs is offline Associate Member
    I have a 42" Panasonic TH-42PWD6UY that I purshcaed for 2900.00. Check out this sites for good plasma info.

http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/index.html

Also search google foe the the model number followed by price. This goes a long way to finding a good price.

BigGreen is offline Anabolic Member
    I'll chime in my $.02 since i've been reading up on these with the same diligence I researched cars prior to buying one. I move on December 1, so my "housewarming present" to myself is a new TV. After much deliberation, I've decided to go with the LCD projection...they are only marginally "thicker" than a plasma in the grand scheme of things and are, according to everything i've looked at, far better if one plans on using a number of accessories such as video games in particular. Plasma technology is still not up to par in terms of handling the "static", non moving background of video games or PC inputs and both can lead (more easily than you'd suspect) to burning of the variety that plagued computer monitors back in the day and prompted the need for screen savers. Once the technology for plasmas catches up to the mutliple uses for a TV (I'll concede they're vastly superior with regards to picture clarity and home theatre applications) they'll be the way to go (price will come down as well), but right now an LCD projection of the same size as a plasma is a third or so the price AND it is able to handle more "applications".

Doc M is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by BigGreen
    I'll chime in my $.02 since i've been reading up on these with the same diligence I researched cars prior to buying one. I move on December 1, so my "housewarming present" to myself is a new TV. After much deliberation, I've decided to go with the LCD projection...they are only marginally "thicker" than a plasma in the grand scheme of things and are, according to everything i've looked at, far better if one plans on using a number of accessories such as video games in particular. Plasma technology is still not up to par in terms of handling the "static", non moving background of video games or PC inputs and both can lead (more easily than you'd suspect) to burning of the variety that plagued computer monitors back in the day and prompted the need for screen savers. Once the technology for plasmas catches up to the mutliple uses for a TV (I'll concede they're vastly superior with regards to picture clarity and home theatre applications) they'll be the way to go (price will come down as well), but right now an LCD projection of the same size as a plasma is a third or so the price AND it is able to handle more "applications".
    Big Green..Look into the Bang&Oluffsen models..They are pricey, but well worth the $$$$ if you want a high end system..Have had almost 3 years of trouble free operation from ours..I would get a drop down screen instead of the less expensive fixed screen version..Saves space, is free from little hands, and is quite cool to watch it drop from the ceiling..Add in a Lutron lighting system and you are set for your own movie theatre..Doc M
    Last edited by Doc M; 11-11-2003 at 12:03 AM.

BDTR is offline Retired
    I have the Sony KDE-50XBR950, ran me about 10 grand at the time. 50 inches. I LOVE IT.

BUYLONGTERM is offline Anabolic Member
    www.ourstore.com is a great site

pumpseeker is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for all the info guys. Very helpfull!

Thread Information