rambo is offline The Lord God

Up your ass, Kenneth Cole.

Damn it finding a suit took me forever today. I'm going to a wedding and needed some new kicks. So I head to Macy's and check out the requisite Hugo Boss and Kenneth Cole, and some Polo and crap. Just wanted a standard 3 button. But apparently my damn shoulders are so unproportional to my waist that I can't find one that doesn't make me look like a shoebox. The tailor said she can't taper that much fabric off without ruining the suits. "You need stop bodybuild. You make it hard for suit. You need custom, I can not make you taper." So i drag my ass over to Bernini, and have to spend a good $100 more just to get some custom work done on an Italian wool 3 button. Fuckin A.

KeyMastur is offline VET
    I hear that bro. I wear a 44 L with a 33 / 34 " waist. Most the 44 L's come with 38 " pants. Take too much out and it looks like shit. Plus the jackets are sometimes too wide around the stomach - they have to adjust the middle back.

But boy do I ever look sexy when dressed up like a banker.

rambo is offline The Lord God
    Yes, once I get this baby tapered I'm going to be superfly.

TheMudMan is offline Retired~ AR-Hall of Famer
    I just bought a new suit about a month ago ................... They hate seeing me the midget walk in....... 5'7"........ but I was able to get my suit tailored 48 jacket and 32" waist no problems and the suit looks great

BUYLONGTERM is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KeyMastur
    I hear that bro. I wear a 44 L with a 33 / 34 " waist. Most the 44 L's come with 38 " pants. Take too much out and it looks like shit. Plus the jackets are sometimes too wide around the stomach - they have to adjust the middle back.

But boy do I ever look sexy when dressed up like a banker.
    Bro, It's going to take more than just a suit to make you look sexy

big daddy k de is offline Senior Member
    i know man its hard to find the right one.. and if your built it never fits right

Dude-Man is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by big daddy k de
    i know man its hard to find the right one.. and if your built it never fits right
    yeah.. outgrowing all my collared shirts here..
    used to be a small for casuals back in high school.. now mediums are getting real tight real fast, and the sleeves way too short. just went out and picked up 2 hugo boss shirts.. they fitted me as a 41sleeve/18neck... gotta get them both tailored because i'm a 28 waist and it looks like a dress hangin off my shoulders.
    Last edited by chrisAdams; 11-13-2003 at 10:57 AM.

D3m3nt3d is offline AR's Whore D'Oeuvre
    Do what I do...when you start getting too big, let yourself shrink about 20 lbs and start over

Juggernaut is offline AR Jester
    Bro I hear you loud and clear. Trying to find one that fits now is a pain of major porportions. A 47 Long with a 36w pants..........not a chance.

I had to have all my suits retailored with all the weight I lost in the midsection a few months back. The tailor asked me if I'd rather just buy new suits! I said let me think for a moment......tailor a suit for $80 each or buy new ones at $400 each...................cut the suits you idiot! Hell I can't even find a single breasted jacket, everything I have is double breasted.

Rambo............mine said the same thing "you stop lifting weights.......you too big in shoulders" hahaha

Btw, aren't three buttons out of style? I thought two buttons were the in thing.

Testify is offline Senior Member
    I just went through the same thing this fall. I had to have a coat tailored for a wedding, because it looked like a Mumu (sp?) on me. I have 48 shoulders and a 36 waist. The first two tailors I went to told me it could not be done, and refused to even try to help me! But after searching I did finally find one that helped. It is not perfect, but looks very good. I think it ran me about $100. Its a good thing I live near a big city, or I would be SOL in trying to find a good tailor. I am shopping for a suit next though, and I know that will be a challenge. I have been putting it off for a while now, because I know its going to cost me a ton.

Juggernaut is offline AR Jester
    Quote Originally Posted by Testify
    I just went through the same thing this fall. I had to have a coat tailored for a wedding, because it looked like a Mumu (sp?) on me. I have 48 shoulders and a 36 waist. The first two tailors I went to told me it could not be done, and refused to even try to help me! But after searching I did finally find one that helped. It is not perfect, but looks very good. I think it ran me about $100. Its a good thing I live near a big city, or I would be SOL in trying to find a good tailor. I am shopping for a suit next though, and I know that will be a challenge. I have been putting it off for a while now, because I know its going to cost me a ton.
    How about dress shirts?!?!?! If i find one with a collar that fits around my neck the sleeves are too freakin short. Find one with long sleeves then it won't fit around my neck. Let's not even talk about fitting one that fits around the chest! I gave up looking for one off the shelf..............I have them tailored. OMG does that cost an arm and a leg...........$60 a piece. They do look damn nice though and they last along time. I have double stich with a real high thread count material. Thank God mens shirts are cheaper to have cleaned than wemen's items.

gunner27 is offline Junior Member
    Try Brooks Brothers. On lots of their suits, they sell the jacket and pants separately. This way, you can match up (in my case) a 48 jacket with 32 pants. Still some minor tailoring needed, but no more than with any other suit. Also, if they have an outlet store anywhere near you, you can get some great deals on good suits.

Testify is offline Senior Member
    Jugg I haven't had too much trouble with shirts. I am usually able to find one with some diligent searching. I wear an 18, 34/35 shirt, which can usually be found in a department store, if you ask the clerk. These too look like mumus, but I have discovered that you can get an athletic fit with Van Heusen, and a "fitted" shirt with Geoffrey Beane. Check it out.

Butch is offline Anabolic Member
    OKay here it is....the job I have I have to wear a suit everyday...I am a 47L w? 36w. Not the greatest but it will do...anyway, I have a tailor that I go to and he has books that you can pick out suits in. Due to the fact that a 47 doesn't go with a 36 they make suits where you can get a coat in one size and pants in the other....mix and match they call it. So if there is a suit I like in one of his books he orders me a 47L coat and 36/34 trousers....

However, as some of you have gone through if you go to a department store you will never find what you are looking for. Also, don't go stright to the name brand shit....KC suits and is way over priced....mos tof the name brands suck caus ethey will never have your size...you can find so many smaller tailored suits at a way cheaper cost....I can get nice suits for $450....and they last forever and look sharp. And mens wearhouse will never be good...becasue they only sell what is on the rack....and the rack never has our size.

Sorry I went on so long...but I just wanted to help some of you as much as I could.

Dude-Man is offline Anabolic Member
    hm.. seems like a few of you are like 34/35/36 for sleeve.. do i just have really long arms at 41? I don't know what my jacket size is, I never need to wear suits and when i do i just get them fitted and rent..

ripped4fsu is offline Anabolic Member
    yeah, unfortunately most Americans are more pear shaped than V shaped, so most designers cuts are trying to make fat people look good, which doesn't do shit for us beautiful people... I would type more but I suddenly have the urge to find a mirror!

The Butcher is offline Member
    You guys think you have it rough. Try being 6'6" with a jacket size between 54 and 56 and a waist size of 37, but needing pants with a 42 inch waist so you can fit your ass and thighs into them. I know it's not very feasible financially, but I got a custom made suit a year ago and you guys who have never had one don't know what you are missing. It's amazing how much better a custom suit feels. However, $2000 a pop is a little rich for my blood on a regular basis!

Thread Information